Giro: Stage 10 "Spoiler"

1235»

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:
    He's more of a Gilbert/Sagan type than a GC guy is nt he? Similar to Cancellara/new Boonen/new Hushovd. Going to get a lot of epic stage/one day wins but not a GC (without some massive help from time bonuses)

I'd say he's more like Valverde - albeit requiring more gradient.

If Valverde can win the Vuelta, so can J Rod.

Valverde is a much better TTer than J Rod though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    J Rod seemed to do OK last year when the race hit the mountains and moved up to 4th on GC (or 5th depending on your view)

Is this year tougher?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    You could say the same about Basso, he looks ominous to me.

Really? I love Ivan, but he just hasn't seemed to fire on all cylinders recently. Has he still got a GC win in him? I hope so, but I feel he's more likely to podium.

I think i'm right in saying that he's the only guy here who has "won" a GT (i.e. actually won the race, not won it 18 months later in a courtroom).

He's not looked his best recently i'll admit, but he's never been a rider who wins lots of races. When he won the Giro convincingly in 2010 he did pretty much nothing before or after it so you can't judge him on that.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He seems very focussedon the final monster climb of the Stelvio though. It was the first big climb he did as a kid and, regarding the Giro GC, at his age he's maybe thinking it's now or never again for the win.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153

I think i'm right in saying that he's the only guy here who has "won" a GT (i.e. actually won the race, not won it 18 months later in a courtroom).
    Cunego as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:

Cunego as well.

Of course...was so long ago i'd forgotten!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Really? I love Ivan, but he just hasn't seemed to fire on all cylinders recently. Has he still got a GC win in him? I hope so, but I feel he's more likely to podium.

He's been getting stronger and stronger. By the time next week arrives he should be peaking. And we know he can do 3 week races. And he's got the best team.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeeBlas
    LeeBlas Posts: 14
    have got Benny Intxausi for my GC - long shot I know but sitting pretty in 5th I think. Anyone think he could do it?
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    LeeBlas wrote:
    have got Benny Intxausi for my GC - long shot I know but sitting pretty in 5th I think. Anyone think he could do it?

No 8)
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    He's been getting stronger and stronger. By the time next week arrives he should be peaking. And we know he can do 3 week races. And he's got the best team.

I'd love him to win, I do like him.
  • LeeBlas
    LeeBlas Posts: 14
    Good man.
    He can climb and can TT (ok ish) - he was 100-1 so good E/W bet.
    have seen him interviewed and he seems a top bloke (in my broken spanish). notwithstanding everything he went through last year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    iainf72 wrote:

Beginning to look that way.

You could say the same about Scarpo too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Go Rodriguez.

555-RTR323OS.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Slagter's bike is sooo small.

IMAG0093.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Couldn't help but notice both Clement and Slagter were demonstrating the (appauling) value of the Rabo school of race tactics yesterday.
  • TMR
    Is it a rest day today?
  • rick_chasey
    Sort of. Sprint day.
  • TMR
    Sort of. Sprint day.

LOL :)

No live streams on Cycling Fans :(
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Is it a rest day today?
    Sort of. Sprint day.
    But there are 3 tight curves in the last 1000 m, which might make up for it!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    knedlicky wrote:
    Is it a rest day today?
    Sort of. Sprint day.
    But there are 3 tight curves in the last 1000 m, which might make up for it!

Are they finishing on a velodrome?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766