Giro: Stage 10 "Spoiler"

Comments

• islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Oh man this is an eventful finish!!!!!!! WHERE IS MY POPCORN?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    predictable in the end.

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Easy for J-Rod. Obscure Netapp dude did a good ride. Pozzo really on the limit.

J-Rod in pink too.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Looks like Cunego and Basso arrived with the maglia rosa in the top 25 or so.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Had to pick up the youngest but made it back for the last 2km :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Well thanks to all those before me who picked J-Rod on PTP.... Good work sir!

More fair play to Hesjedal for that ride, almost Voeckler, 2011esque

Assissi looks lovely too, should try and get a visit there....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    What was Pozzovivo doing looking over his shoulder just a few metres from the line?

Thought we might have seen slightly bigger time gaps on that one. J Rod doing what he does best.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Really irritating when the internet stream goes down just before the end.

On the plus sie the Sky installer will be here tomorrow!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Perfect timing by J Rod, thought Sky had played it well but ultimately couldn't hold the front 3 at the key moment and possibly getting cursed by some of those behind them! Nice ride by Pozzovivo who I expected to be near the back going into the narrow section and get dropped in the final few kms. Rabo rider the strongest but not the explosive power needed to beat J Rod.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    calvjones wrote:
    predictable in the end.

Reminds me of the first week or so of the Vuelta last year. The winners of these stages won't be relevant in the last week.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Beautiful setting for the finish but about as much of a revelation as Cav winning a sprint.
  • inkyfingers
    calvjones wrote:
    predictable in the end.

Reminds me of the first week or so of the Vuelta last year. The winners of these stages won't be relevant in the last week.

Yes, J Rod looked unbeatable on the steep stuff in the Vuelta last year then got dropped on the long climbs by Wiggins and Froome...we shall see.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Cav's day tomorrow I hope.. he was sensible today
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Rodriguez always seems to have at least one complete shocker in high mountains. Got something like a minute of his likely rivals now though. Surprisingly well poised.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    smithy21 wrote:
    Beautiful setting for the finish but about as much of a revelation as Cav winning a sprint.

For the win, yeah, but I doubt anyone was expecting a NetApp rider up there. Or Visconti, who's only a shadow of his former self.

TBH, regardless of how good your legs were, if you weren't in the top 6 or 8 on the narrowest section, you were pretty much hosed.. there was no way past.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Even if he survives the high mountains, he still has a 30 km TT to contend with.

Anyone else starting to think Kreuziger is a dark horse? In 4th place without showing his face at all so far.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    afx237vi wrote:
    Even if he survives the high mountains, he still has a 30 km TT to contend with.

Anyone else starting to think Kreuziger is a dark horse? In 4th place without showing his face at all so far.

Are we all forgetting how tough week three is?

We'll probably need a calendar to measure the time gaps on the Stelvio.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Huzarski and Slagter, not exactly the couple I would have picked to try to challenge the untouchable Purito.
    A manic final 10kms.
    Thank goodness no one came a cropper.

Schleck, Cunego and Rujano lost a little today.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:

Theres a reason he's my PTP GC pick. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Huzarski and Slagter, not exactly the couple I would have picked to try to challenge the untouchable Purito.
    A manic final 10kms.
    Thank goodness no one came a cropper.

Schleck, Cunego and Rujano lost a little today.

No surprise Frank lost time.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes. Same here. Misguided moral scruples so we were told. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes. Same here. Misguided moral scruples so we were told. :-)

Indeed, though if CycleSport are to be believed then Pozzovivo is going to run away with it in much the same fashion as Contador last year. Putting out phenominal amounts of power apparently, should make the final week a doddle then... (they also mentioned that his nickname, as some of his fellow riders cheerily pointed out at the end of his winning stage, is 'Positivo')
  • inkyfingers
    afx237vi wrote:

You could say the same about Basso, he looks ominous to me.

J Rod is a brilliant rider to watch, but I don't think he's got a grand tour win in him, he's just too bad in the TTs and seems prone to a bad day on the big climbs. Top 5, maybe a podium and a couple of stage wins is his best bet I think.

At this point I'd go for a Basso win with Schleck and Scarponi on the podium.

Anyone know where I can find a full GC countdown after today?
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

J Rod is a brilliant rider to watch, but I don't think he's got a grand tour win in him, he's just too bad in the TTs and seems prone to a bad day on the big climbs. Top 5, maybe a podium and a couple of stage wins is his best bet I think.
    He's been 3rd overall in the Vuelta before.
  • inkyfingers
    afx237vi wrote:

He's been 3rd overall in the Vuelta before.

Only because Mosquera tested +, he was a long way off winning it. Lost about 6 minutes in the TT if my memory serves me correctly.
  • ddraver
    He's more of a Gilbert/Sagan type than a GC guy is nt he? Similar to Cancellara/new Boonen/new Hushovd. Going to get a lot of epic stage/one day wins but not a GC (without some massive help from time bonuses)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    He's more of a Gilbert/Sagan type than a GC guy is nt he? Similar to Cancellara/new Boonen/new Hushovd. Going to get a lot of epic stage/one day wins but not a GC (without some massive help from time bonuses)

I'd say he's more like Valverde - albeit requiring more gradient.

If Valverde can win the Vuelta, so can J Rod.
  • ddraver
    well, hence the last bit....

(i mean, you never know, and good on him if he did, but i'd say it's unlikely)
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I wish someone had told me how rubbish J Rod was before I picked him for my GC.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Really? I love Ivan, but he just hasn't seemed to fire on all cylinders recently. Has he still got a GC win in him? I hope so, but I feel he's more likely to podium.