Weekend Rides?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:
    Actually talking of Kent you just reminded me when I was young visiting my nan near Rye I remember there's a couple of twisting climbs we used to struggle up, in the car :shock:

Must look those up some time, in the car natch! :lol:

Edit: I know Rye isn't in Kent
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Actually talking of Kent you just reminded me when I was young visiting my nan near Rye I remember there's a couple of twisting climbs we used to struggle up, in the car :shock:

Must look those up some time, in the car natch! :lol:

There are a few short, steep little sods:

Chick Hill: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ngdom&z=15

Dumb Woman's Lane (and the one right next to it which goes past where Spike Milligan) lived:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 15&iwloc=A

Also Strand Hill into Winchelsea was not welcome after 98 miles on Sunday!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This weekend Ms DDD will be leaving me and returning to her Mum for the weekend (Fri - Sat). YAY!!!!!

I mean I'll miss my son (and her) but I sure hope the weather holds true. Please, I need this....

James, in time you'll understand these conflicting feelings....

Thread may resume.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This weekend Ms DDD will be leaving me and returning to her Mum for the weekend (Fri - Sat). YAY!!!!!

I mean I'll miss my son (and her) but I sure hope the weather holds true. Please, I need this....

Thread may resume.

Where's the conflict? I already love my wife and my bikes equally! She went to Amsterdam for the weekend, I went cycling. 2 weekends time she's off to Hungary for a long weekend, me and the bike are off to Cyprus, June she's off to Turkey, I'm off to the Pyrenees. We have an understanding! Kids won't change this, she wants to go away, I'll look after/take to grand parents, and vice versa. Otherwise we'd both go mad. Don't understand couples who live in each others pockets...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thread may resume.

Where's the conflict? I already love my wife and my bikes equally! She went to Amsterdam for the weekend, I went cycling. 2 weekends time she's off to Hungary for a long weekend, me and the bike are off to Cyprus, June she's off to Turkey, I'm off to the Pyrenees. We have an understanding! Kids won't change this, she wants to go away, I'll look after/take to grand parents, and vice versa. Otherwise we'd both go mad. Don't understand couples who live in each others pockets...
    You sure she's not having a very flashy affair?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thread may resume.

"We have an understanding" Said the man as he flung his car keys into the hat.

Fair enough. I was just poking fun.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe

If she is, then it's with another woman, and I'm good with that*

*certain caveats may apply
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Showing my (lack of) age - I'm reminded of Ross in friends, where his wife invites a 'friend' over for a threesome and Ross is so not involved he ends up making a sandwich.

Would try and google the clip but that's not going to end well at work.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Showing my (lack of) age - I'm reminded of Ross in friends, where his wife invites a 'friend' over for a threesome and Ross is so not involved he ends up making a sandwich.

Would try and google the clip but that's not going to end well at work.

'Certain caveat' being that the following ingredients are in the house
    Gotta be homemade, 80% beef, 20% pork (coarse) mince, finely chopped shallot, little bit of fresh chilli, beaten egg, dash of ketchup, dash of worcester, dash of mustard, some basil and/or oregano, salt & pepper, splash of olive oil.

Big patties, cooked rare.

Served in a soft bap (or for extra credit between 2 slices of kartoffelbrot (homemade)) with sweet tomato and chilli relish (homemade), a pickled gherkin on the side and maybe a slice of Gruyère.

Perfect.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thread may resume.

Listen to this man ^ he has the right balance going on here, I've had the same sort of relationship with my wife and next year we've been married 10 years, with children (no not the bikes).

You need your own lives as well
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Pearson 150 tomorrow plus 20k each way to Sutton, at least the weather has decided to behave. :)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    55 miles down to west sussex for breakfast on saturday. Damn hills.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I to went down Sussex way. Kingston - Arundel and back. Just about 100 miles. Was great. Although I got spanked on all the hills of note.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Chapeau! I confess to having lots of food and coffee when i got there, then going to the pub and getting the train back from petersfield to surbiton. I would say you won that one!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I did a 100k sportive out of Dorking. Felt hungry in the first ten mins - perhaps not surprising, given I had a sandwich for supper on Friday and a banana for breakfast on Saturday. Lost a bottle on a descent, forgot just how really unpleasant Whitedown is (what sadistic SOB puts that in a Sportive?).

Really toiled over the last ten miles, showing an abject lack of fitness. Hit a wall that normally doesn't appear until the high side of 80 miles. Fortunately got picked up by three guys who were riding in my "yellow zone", so picked a tow from them to the end. Then apologised for not doing any work, and explained why.

Had to have a kip on the sofa when I got home. I've felt less drained after an imperial century, TBH. Perhaps I have a virus. Yes, that must be it. A virus. A big bad Man Virus.

I might go to A&E tomorrow, just to be sure.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    When did this happen 1960?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Only thirty so far, up to Consett and back, a mix of C2C tracks, fire road and regular road, fuelled on the free energy products Chain Reaction keep sending. I'm going to keep buying from them but only one bit at a time to build up a stock.

Was a blast, managed 42.1mph at one point but that doesn't count for much since it was on a 400ft drop where I've hit 45.5 before. Shouted at a dog owner to get their rat trained after it gave chase then my chain snapped (again) they took ages to catch up but I was still putting it back together when the dog decided it wanted to play some more.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    okgo wrote:
    I to went down Sussex way. Kingston - Arundel and back. Just about 100 miles. Was great. Although I got spanked on all the hills of note.

Nice one. Bury Hill by any chance? That's a bugger.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    Greg66 wrote:
    I did a 100k sportive out of Dorking. Felt hungry in the first ten mins - perhaps not surprising, given I had a sandwich for supper on Friday and a banana for breakfast on Saturday. Lost a bottle on a descent, forgot just how really unpleasant Whitedown is (what sadistic SOB puts that in a Sportive?).

Really toiled over the last ten miles, showing an abject lack of fitness. Hit a wall that normally doesn't appear until the high side of 80 miles. Fortunately got picked up by three guys who were riding in my "yellow zone", so picked a tow from them to the end. Then apologised for not doing any work, and explained why.

Had to have a kip on the sofa when I got home. I've felt less drained after an imperial century, TBH. Perhaps I have a virus. Yes, that must be it. A virus. A big bad Man Virus.

I might go to A&E tomorrow, just to be sure.

Massive understatement there....
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • okgo
    Yup.

Guys I was with are now 1 and 2 on strava for that. I'm 27 lol.

But there were a few.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • stuaff
    As for me, got this month's ton in: to Brighton and back. Was pretty hard work all the way, crosswind not very helpful at any point but certainly needed more effort.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    was planning Hearn hill induction today but had to work... again. Cant believe its so hard to get a day off AND it not to rain! I'm stuck doing evening rides to the park to go deer dodging or along the local roads, and I still get rained on!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Absolutely smashed it on todays ride. Did the BHF Over the Edge, 4,200 feet of climbing, 48 miles, average of 18mph. Some serious climbs (and I managed to get some 4ths and 5ths on strava). Left pretty much last and think there were only a couple of people up the road come the finish. And did it all on a heavy CAAD8.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8931499
  • okgo
    If you are about one weekend you should come on the kw training ride John. They're great!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Did 101km/63 miles today. Stopped off at the parents' 2/3 of the way round for a cakestop and to refill my water bottle.

My first ride over 43 miles, so my first century even if it is a measly metric one! :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    JZed wrote:
    Absolutely smashed it on todays ride. Did the BHF Over the Edge, 4,200 feet of climbing, 48 miles, average of 18mph. Some serious climbs (and I managed to get some 4ths and 5ths on strava). Left pretty much last and think there were only a couple of people up the road come the finish. And did it all on a heavy CAAD8.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8931499

Well done - I did wonder if you were going to do it! I finally got round to getting up there last w/end using one of the garmin routes you posted for me before I went to Morocco. Was amazing - I went to Halifax and back, although got a bit lost and ended up going home over Rishworth moor, which was rather blowy and hailstoned at one point. Will def do again though, so thx for the tips!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Did London Revolution yesterday and today - 300km (187miles), 3023m (9918ft) of climb, 23km/h average (14.4mph) with an overnight stop at Windsor racecourse in a tent...

Several nasty >15%+ climbs today, albeit short ones, and a long hard and sometimes difficult slog @ 6% for 7km from Godstone (with a very painful 28% for 160m) up onto the North Downs ridge, but Box Hill was, by comparison, quite benign (first time I have ridden it, albeit not very quickly!)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Managed to squeeze in a cheeky 50km ride last night - quite rolling, out to Star Hill and back. Didn't have the legs for a quick time up Star Hill, but had recovered by the time I got home and picked up a KOM on the hill from Shortlands to Beckenham - quite pleased with that after 50km solo - managed to keep the pace above 20mph as well which is always nice!
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    South from Stockport - Pott Shrigley, Blaize Hill, Lamaload up to Cat & Fiddle Road (1st time up that way, damn steep past that cottage - 25%?) - across road to Wildboarclough, up to Flash, Longnor, Buxton, train home. Great ride - from Top of Pike Road to Allgreave is just glorious, a real joy, esp bits past Lamaload and Macc Forest.

Hadn;t done that climb up to Flash before though - bit longer than I was expecting - needed some refreshment at the tea bar.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Good ride with the club yesterday from Cardiff and up the Bwlch from the Treorchy side dropping into Nantymoel, up Llangeinor (losing my back end on the descent), Bridgend and Ewenny, then 6 of us carried on at the Cafe around to Ogmore and back.

68 miles and my first decent outing on my repaired 2010 Agree, having used a compact for the last 3 years, I was pleased that I managed to get up the Bwlch without resorting to the 28t on the back and it was great descending on a 53 x 11!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009