Weekend Rides?

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
So what did everyone get up to on their bikes over the weekend? Reckon it must have been the best cycling weekend of the year so far, in the SE at least.

I rode the new bike down to Sussex on the Saturday (100 miles), overnighted with my parents, then rode up to Canterbury on the Sunday (50 miles) and caught the train back to London. Tired and a little sunburned today, but loved every second of it. So good to be out in shorts and jersey after the misery of the last few weeks. New bike performed brilliantly, now looking forward to a long ride without an overnight bag on my back.

Only negative is that my saddle slipped (by 4 cm!) sometime on Sun which has left me with a rather sore ITB today. Slapped some Finish Line Fiber Grip in the seat tube last night so hopefully that'll cure the problem. At least I know why things felt a bit off! Could have fixed it mid ride as well if I'd bothered to check, as I had a load of tools with me supposedly for fettling purposes.

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Got out for a ride round the lanes of South Oxfordshire last night. Realised that the Synapse, while plush, is a bit sluggish when trying to put the power down - particularly when compared to the Giant Defy I rode on Friday. N+1 is very strong now...

The Defy ride was my first ever ride in Cornwall. What a great county for riding. So many fabulous locations to explore. Must get back there soon for some longer rides.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Did a couple of hours in RP on saturday with CJ. The traffic was, unsurprisingly, mental so it turned into an interval session. My legs hurt walking down stairs on saturday evening.

Sunday was riding to Oxshott; the May Flyer short course and ride home: nearly 90miles for the day and about 130 for weekend.

Tired.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Did a brisk 60 miles in Sussex yesterday with the Bayeux Cycling Team. First 21 miles for me was a solo time-trial to the meeting place into a headwind, which I managed to do at an average of 19.2mph, which I'm pretty pleased about. Managed to do the remaining 39 miles with the group and didn't let the average slip below 18.8mph.

Bit burnt now, though. And my right knee's feeling it a bit. Not used to big chainring sprinting up hills. :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lap of RP.

Regretted it.

Feel ill again today.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    an hour in regents park yesterday morning. with a full pannier bag before work.

wish i hadnt got drunk friday so i could have got out on a club run saturday
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I got a 20 miler in late on Sunday morning then went off to watch the football and was so bouyed up by it all afterwards that I did another 30 miles in celebration. V enjoyable.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Nowt. Gradually upping weekly mileage since the frankenfoot episode. Aiming for 60 miles (total) this week, planning to be up to a gentle 60 mile L2B ride in June (sensible given that my pace will be restricted by nodders, rather than my brain).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    A leisurely 70mile club run up to Stevenage and Welwyn Garden City. Was leisurely because up to the first stopping point (Codicote for brunch) I was babysitting a young (well quite a lot younger than me :lol:) first-time female rider on a smart red n white Wiler with only a 9speed compact and she was struggling somewhat on the hills... and then her chain came off (so guess who ended up with mucky hands).

We got quite a bit faster after lunch :) when the final group of six of us (out of 25-odd) went on to complete the full distance.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    A mere 83 miles on Saturday for me- Northampton to London in the company of Cafewanda and twenty or so others. Cracking day out. Hopefully, finally, get a ton in for this month next weekend..
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Flaming windy as hell up north, but only time I got was for a quick 25 mile blast. Then got in trouble for being late back - only late back as didn't get out till 1pm because of having to do things like family food shopping first, which was when I was supposed to be out at 11.30am.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Took 2 mates out for 72 miles in the Surrey hills, stopping at Tanhurst Farm for refreshment. One of them was suffering from a broken cleat and a chest infection, so we averaged 14.8mph. Hopefully he'll be feeling better by Sunday and the cleat will be fixed as I'm doing a century with him. If we go at that pace, 8 hours in the saddle will be a long day.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Cycling on a weekend? Can't remember the last time that happened. This moving house lark is messing with my training.

Cycling in the sunshine? Surely not.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    92 mile jaunt into the Surrey Hills and beyond. Quick stop off at Cutmill to watch the end of the 3rd Cat SL RR. Okgo placed 5th or 6th and is now up to 2nd cat. Congrats. Quick cuppa at Seale and then motored home TTT stylee.

Av 19.5mph. Empty at the end, and a little sunburnt.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    See JG's post.

Tired indeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Lovely 70 miles round the lanes of Norfolk with a mate. Headwind out so a nice easy tailwind back.
    Didn't push it hard, but it's the first real distance we've managed so far this year and it was was great to be out there in the sunshine.
    100 mile ride coming up in a fortnight so fingers crossed the weather gets nice again.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Nice evening ride Friday to end last week. Nothing Saturday as it was spent mostly at beach instead (hey, the water temperature was 22 deg C, in perfect sunshine too... !)

Sunday morning however had the pleasure of an extra commute as I had to spend all day in the office. :( Not even the long way home made up for that.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    About 100 yards tops. Took the cubs to Alice Holt woods nr Farnham for a go in the tag along. 2 yr old screamed like a banshee so we didn't even get out of the car park! What is up with kids these days, "I pad mummy"! Nice walk around though.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yep, as said above by Will, just the one ride this weekend, 50 mile road race around the Cutmill Circuit which was quite undulating, and hard work. Felt ok at the end, and placed 5th/6th which was nice. 2nd Category racing now, probably a big leap in quality given the size of the category, lets hope I can keep getting better.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Duathlon Saturday.
    By which I mean trundle down to the pool for the littl'un's lesson, and back up through the park.
    Three miles each way Sunday to friends house - same gang.
    Brilliant. She needs a 24" now though.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    North Manc - Blackstone Edge (finally) - Cragg Vale (down, not up) - Sowerby Bridge - Halifax - Rishworth Moor (windy as hell) - Saddleworth - Milnrow - home. Sunny, blowy, and amazing, although I've got some rather fetching sunburn. Thx to JZed for posting one of his garmin routes for me a few weeks back that I sort of used.

And then my team won the Premier League. I might just buy a lottery ticket.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    55 miles with the club on Sunday from Cambridge to Waresley. Lovely weather, roads and countrydie, I did some decent times in some Strave segments. Madingley Road has been resurfaced (partially) - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just a Pootle round on sunday (still managed to cover 20ks) trying to get the gears re-indexed. Which i failed at.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Washed and fettled with the commuter, then road it around the block to check everything was in order. On Sunday I rode 3 miles to the pub, watched the football, drunk some beer and rode home again. Back in shorts and t-shirt this morning though. Excellent.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Washed and fettled with the commuter, then rode it around the block to check everything was in order. On Sunday I rode 3 miles to the pub, watched the football, drunk some beer and rode home again. Back in shorts and t-shirt this morning though. Excellent.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    a windy 5 laps of rp on Friday, but was working sat and sun which sucked!
  • I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...

Chapeau!
  • I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...

Chapeau!

+1, Did you walk up Hardknott? (Only ever been up there in a car, and it was bad enough)

Chapeau!

+1, Did you walk up Hardknott? (Only ever been up there in a car, and it was bad enough)

Parts, yes :oops: I was nearly at the top of the first steep bit of the climb (pretty much at HR max), but accidentally found myself of the inside of bend and didn't have the gears and ended up falling off... Whoops! Then for the top steep bit a car got stuck so quite a few of us had to stop there as well. Slightly frustrating but I still feel good about managing more than most people I saw. It's just brutal!
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I did this:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ue-event-0

My 39th placed finish doesn't tell the whole story, I was leading until around a quarter of a mile to go when some prat did a "Ferrari" on me and I ended up on the road with a pile up on top of me. Managed to pick myself up and cycle over the finish line at least.

@blondecyclist, chapeau re the Fred, must go back there sometime and see if I can get up Hardknott without walking - tough old course that!