Weekend Rides?

Comments

• I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...

Chapeau!

+1, Did you walk up Hardknott? (Only ever been up there in a car, and it was bad enough)

Parts, yes :oops: I was nearly at the top of the first steep bit of the climb (pretty much at HR max), but accidentally found myself of the inside of bend and didn't have the gears and ended up falling off... Whoops! Then for the top steep bit a car got stuck so quite a few of us had to stop there as well. Slightly frustrating but I still feel good about managing more than most people I saw. It's just brutal!

In which case, double chapeau. You did better than my Brother-In-Law's Ford Focus, that needed an hours rest halfway to cool the clutch down. Like you say, it's brutal.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    A nice ride out from Brixton to Brighton. I hadn't been on the bike for a week due to a bad back and so was pretty desperate to turn those cranks. Strain in my back had cunningly shifted up to my neck and I had trouble turning my head to shoulder check but apart from that a real joy to get out and ride in the sun. Oh yeah, except for those fecking car drivers. Not too bad on Col de Ditchling but elsewhere felt like I was on a car race track. Lots of other cyclists out too.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Saturday ride with the club, about 40 odd miles in total. Would've been further but I got 2 punctures! Nightmare... Basically my tyres are a bit threadbare but I was trying to squeeze the last few miles out of them...

Sunday - about 10 miles across London to Kings X then 25 miles around Bedfordshire with my dad...

Got the Pearson 150 next Sun - 150km from the edge of London to Brighton and back
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Leisurely 160+ miles, winding my way through Berkshire, Oxon, Gloucester & Wiltshire. Saw a few people I haven't seen for a while, all in all a fun day.

Wasn't much fun getting back on the bike this morning though.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...

Erm why?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    I was a bit worried that I might not know what to do some nicer weather so we made the long trek up to the Lake District to tackle the Fred Whitton. 112 miles, 3950m of climbing, 30% gradients and terrifying descents (and I like descending usually!) with very strong winds...

Erm why?

I asked myself the same question several times... (although the real answer is Marmotte prep)
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • itboffin
    90 windy but sunny miles around the Bristol area with friends, the first 50-60 of which were pretty much pan flat then we started hitting the 25% digs :shock:

Ouch those hurt and for a split second I think I tasted defeat but then MTFU slowed to nodder speed remembered to actually breath and made it to the top, phew!

Still nice day shame about the poor lanes (pave) and relentless omnidirectional wind, very glad there were three of us to share that.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135

Chapeau!

+1, Did you walk up Hardknott? (Only ever been up there in a car, and it was bad enough)

Parts, yes :oops: I was nearly at the top of the first steep bit of the climb (pretty much at HR max), but accidentally found myself of the inside of bend and didn't have the gears and ended up falling off... Whoops! Then for the top steep bit a car got stuck so quite a few of us had to stop there as well. Slightly frustrating but I still feel good about managing more than most people I saw. It's just brutal!

In which case, double chapeau. You did better than my Brother-In-Law's Ford Focus, that needed an hours rest halfway to cool the clutch down. Like you say, it's brutal.

I grew up on the outskirts of the Lake District, a little town in the south called Ulverston.

I spent many days cycling around the lakes, taking all those hills in, Hardknott, Wrynose etc. etc. back then I could ride up them without dismounting (14yrs old), however I dont think I could do the same now.

Massive respect to you BC for even attempting it.

I remember cycling past people (hikers) walking up it, I used to get comments like "Why dont you get off and push, its easier" but the proof is in the pudding, by the time they had finished their sentence I was already off and around the next corner, I had limitless power and energy back then (and enormous thighs).

You must remember to always take the outside of a corner, yes it is a 33% + gradient but on the inside of the corner it is more like 45% +
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I looked after my son all day Saturday. I saw many a lovely bike heading towards his grandparents. My Garmin and bike/s hate me.

Sunday, what Sunday? :cry:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Got to laugh at all the people treating the Fred Whitton like a race, looks horrid, if there was a sportive to do it would be that one. Nothing stopping you doing it any day of the week though I guess.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Got to laugh at all the people treating the Fred Whitton like a race, looks horrid, if there was a sportive to do it would be that one. Nothing stopping you doing it any day of the week though I guess.

Not too many races taking in that kind of terrain /scenery are there? I reckon its the best British sportive - certainly of those that I've ridden. Closest to the continental style where its really a race, even though its not a race, if you know what I mean!
  • okgo
    No, its no doubt a proper ride. Just saying that the way sportives are going it seems like they are promoting racing almost, I've read a few "race reports" of the Fred. I agree with them principle, but think they should be steering away from the race and gold silver etc angle. It promotes silly riding.

Its strange, because when reading about people's rides on things like these, they sound like the kind of competitive people that would want to race, but they don't?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    well most sportives now offer gold silver and bronze time cut offs to promote racing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    okgo wrote:

Its strange, because when reading about people's rides on things like these, they sound like the kind of competitive people that would want to race, but they don't?

I think I can answer that.

a) sportives are more like the end-to-end routes you see in professional cycling - they're also not about how many sprints you can put out in an hour so it's a different kind of effort.

b) You're less likely to end up in some enormous peloton crash.

c) Sportives tend to spread the field out so you're near riders of a similar ability - which is always more fun. So if you're obviously rubbish, you can still compete - rather than getting chucked out the back after 1 lap of some circuit.
  • okgo
    spasypaddy wrote:
    well most sportives now offer gold silver and bronze time cut offs to promote racing.

Exactly, why are they doing this, it isn't a race.
  • okgo
    okgo wrote:

I think I can answer that.

a) sportives are more like the end-to-end routes you see in professional cycling - they're also not about how many sprints you can put out in an hour so it's a different kind of effort.

b) You're less likely to end up in some enormous peloton crash.

c) Sportives tend to spread the field out so you're near riders of a similar ability - which is always more fun. So if you're obviously rubbish, you can still compete - rather than getting chucked out the back after 1 lap of some circuit.

a) Look at the Fred, they offered sprint points, and KOM, that sounds like they want to promote a racing scenario to me...

b) Possibly, but people falling off their bikes up hill, causing others to do the same etc, poor bike handlers flying down hills at 50 mph with potentially far more people around you, sounds like a disaster to me.

c) Yes, but you this is the point, its not a competition against other people, just yourself, they need to change this whole image they have created with the sprints, and time cut offs, if people want that stuff then they really should be doing it in a controlled racing environment with other people. Not with potential new riders without the proper support around them.

All IMO.
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Exactly, why are they doing this, it isn't a race.

Its more like a time trial. I have never experienced dangerous or aggressive riding in a sportive - the courses tend to be long enough and arduous enough to spread the field out so that kind of thing isn't necessary. Rick's post above is pretty spot on - far more likely to be taken out in a race and a lot of people aren't up for that, plus sportives tend to feature more interesting climbs and routes so in that respect "feel" more like you're riding the Tour etc which is what no doubt appeals to the target market.
  • rick_chasey
    okgo wrote:

a) Look at the Fred, they offered sprint points, and KOM, that sounds like they want to promote a racing scenario to me...

b) Possibly, but people falling off their bikes up hill, causing others to do the same etc, poor bike handlers flying down hills at 50 mph with potentially far more people around you, sounds like a disaster to me.

c) Yes, but you this is the point, its not a competition against other people, just yourself, they need to change this whole image they have created with the sprints, and time cut offs, if people want that stuff then they really should be doing it in a controlled racing environment with other people. Not with potential new riders without the proper support around them.

All IMO.
    a) I'm saying they do want to race, but just not the kind of 'racing' you actually get on the amateur scene, so I can see where that is coming from.

b) - for sure, but it's the perception right? I hear about more accidents in standard crit-style amateur races than I do in sportives.

c) People want competition ;). Just a different kind!

Ultimately, I'm put off by amateur racing since a) I don't like the style of efforts required for them and b) The likelihood of crashing seems to be too high, especially at the lower levels (where iI'd be at). I don't want to expect to be injured at some point in the season, nor do I want to fork out to replace bike kit.

I'd be much more inclined if races were longer - rather like a sportive, where there is more natural selection, and the effort is more endurance based.

I can see where the 'sportive' racers are coming from.
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:

All IMO.
    a) I'm saying they do want to race, but just not the kind of 'racing' you actually get on the amateur scene, so I can see where that is coming from.

b) - for sure, but it's the perception right? I hear about more accidents in standard crit-style amateur races than I do in sportives.

c) People want competition ;). Just a different kind!

Ultimately, I'm put off by amateur racing since a) I don't like the style of efforts required for them and b) The likelihood of crashing seems to be too high, especially at the lower levels (where iI'd be at). I don't want to expect to be injured at some point in the season, nor do I want to fork out to replace bike kit.

I'd be much more inclined if races were longer - rather like a sportive, where there is more natural selection, and the effort is more endurance based.

I can see where the 'sportive' racers are coming from.

Rick - why not try a road race as opposed to a circuit race? More akin to "proper" racing without the constant stop / start bursts of acceleration usually required for circuits / crits. Still significant risk of being wiped out though...
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    Rick - why not try a road race as opposed to a circuit race? More akin to "proper" racing without the constant stop / start bursts of acceleration usually required for circuits / crits. Still significant risk of being wiped out though...

They're as rare as rocking horse sh!t for n00bs aren't they?
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

Not that rare, SERRL races in South East, Surrey road race league, probably other stuff north / west of London as well I imagine. Just look for anything that covers 4th cat and you'll be able to ride. Usually on a loop on open roads, but 10km + rather than 1.5km. All good fun having a lead car / motorbike outriders etc!
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Not that rare, SERRL races in South East, Surrey road race league, probably other stuff north / west of London as well I imagine. Just look for anything that covers 4th cat and you'll be able to ride. Usually on a loop on open roads, but 10km + rather than 1.5km. All good fun having a lead car / motorbike outriders etc!

Hmmm.

Now, to be able to cycle fast. I'll look into that, cheers.
  • okgo
    There's none in the surrey league, but plenty about. However most of them are 3/4 races and they're quick. I did a 3/4 road race the other week and it was one of the fastest I've done.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sportives: get round in the fastest time possible. I'm not pootling. In that sense, it's a TT.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    itboffin wrote:
    90 windy but sunny miles around the Bristol area with friends, the first 50-60 of which were pretty much pan flat then we started hitting the 25% digs :shock:

Ouch those hurt and for a split second I think I tasted defeat but then MTFU slowed to nodder speed remembered to actually breath and made it to the top, phew!

Still nice day shame about the poor lanes (pave) and relentless omnidirectional wind, very glad there were three of us to share that.

Just trying to think of a route around Bristol that would match that description; where did you go?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    itboffin wrote:

Ah. Many of my formative cycling experiences took place in that bit of the world. Many a ride zigzagged up and down the Cotswold escarpment. Must get back and do some riding around there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Someone needs to fix the moon crater roads, some of those pot holes were so big I swear I could see straight through the earth.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    Someone needs to fix the moon crater roads, some of those pot holes were so big I swear I could see straight through the earth.

Pfft, you should try the coastal roads of Kent. Had a stretch on Sun where every 10 metres the tarmac had split creating a mini canyon stretching from kerb to kerb. Lasted about 4 miles and drove me f*cking nuts. That and epic potholes, usually strategically located on gloomy downhill sections. PITA.
  • itboffin
    Actually talking of Kent you just reminded me when I was young visiting my nan near Rye I remember there's a couple of twisting climbs we used to struggle up, in the car :shock:

Must look those up some time, in the car natch! :lol: