Tour de Romandie "Spoiler"

Comments

• Will Wiggins be able to put 10 seconds into him in a 10 mile TT?
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Good last 6km at least...
    Can Wiggo smash it tomorrow? I reckon so.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Can Sanchez defend a 9 sec lead over Wiggins in what is essentially a "sporting" 10? I don't think so.

Wiggins was doing what I do when i'm tired, pedalling a bit then resting then pedalling then resting again.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Reckon Wiggins will take 1 second per km out of him.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Anyone got any comparable TT stats for Wiggo and LLS?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sit in sprinter won today. Showed nothing all day; let his team do the attacking and the pulling back of the leaders on the run in. Popped up in the last couple of hundred metres to win

:twisted:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • inkyfingers

CQ Ranking website is good for that. Without looking i'd say Wiggins would come out on top 7 times out of 10, if not more.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Will Wiggins be able to put 10 seconds into him in a 10 mile TT?

Yes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

This season:

Algarve St 5 (25.8km): Wiggins 1st, Sanchez 10th @0.56
    Paris-Nice St 1 (9.4km): Wiggins 2nd @0.01, Sanchez 40th @0.29
    Paris-Nice St 8 (9.5km): Wiggins 1st, Sanchez 53rd @2.27

The TT tomorrow has a pretty big climb in the middle of it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

CQ Ranking website is good for that. Without looking i'd say Wiggins would come out on top 7 times out of 10, if not more.

Over their whole careers it's 16-2 to Wiggins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Thanks Inky, I took a look and head to head it said 20-5 in favour of Wiggins. I guess as long as his head doesn't fall off and he doesn't have a mechanical he should be a shoe-in. Having said that is there anyone else close enough in GC with enough TT skill to upset the applecart?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95 wrote:

Over their whole careers it's 16-2 to Wiggins.

Damn, Wiggins is scary. I guess this is where those extra seconds from TT tuning actually count.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    TT includes a 400m gain climb at about 8%. Wiggo to win comfortably.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    I wouldn't worry about LLS. He was hanging on the final climb.
    Wiggins will take time on the climb and the flat.
    Tempo, tempo etc.

Watch out for the high flying Astanas and the low flying Kloeden.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Inrng just tweeted that monster wind is forecast for tomorrow.

Not a great race this year, I have to say. And poor old TvG! Smacked in the face by a branch!

Basso's Giro form looks like it's nearly there. Sucked in the TT but in the front group every day since then. In 3 weeks time he should be ready to put everyone to the sword in the mountains.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:

Not a great race this year, I have to say. And poor old TvG! Smacked in the face by a branch!

True, last years was far more exciting from memory, with uphill finishes and late attacks.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:
    Inrng just tweeted that monster wind is forecast for tomorrow.

Basso's Giro form looks like it's nearly there. Sucked in the TT but in the front group every day since then. In 3 weeks time he should be ready to put everyone to the sword in the mountains.

Shouldn't be too difficult with the second rate startlist. Not worried about Frank any?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Interesting tweets on this today.

Kreuziger saying that if anyone deserves the win it's Wiggins/Sky. Said they've pulled all day every day all week without asking any other teams for help. Think Cav has done his fair share of work on the front too, hence why he was probably lanterne until he climbed off today.

Then Daniel Lloyd made the point that Wiggo wearing his own skinsuit and not the leaders one will be worth more than 10 seconds tomorrow.
  • iainf72

Shouldn't be too difficult with the second rate startlist. Not worried about Frank any?

Hopefully he'll be able to do something.

A pound says it will be a better and more exciting race than the French one.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    10 pounds said you ll hate it either way Iain... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    iainf72 wrote:
    Not a great race this year, I have to say.
    Nicely understated. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Giro is very nicely poised, though far too heavily weighted at the back end - a little concerned that the first couple weeks will drag a bit, waiting for the GC to kick off, but hopefully it won't!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    iainf72 wrote:

Hopefully he'll be able to do something.

A pound says it will be a better and more exciting race than the French one.

If it was any other year I would take your pound. But even i will adit the Tour route this year is p*ss poor. Can't wait for everybody to slowly drag there way up the mountains on eachothers wheels and then ride a TT. The Joy.
  • iainf72
    Giro is very nicely poised, though far too heavily weighted at the back end - a little concerned that the first couple weeks will drag a bit, waiting for the GC to kick off, but hopefully it won't!

I think it gets hard enough to start weeding people out on the medium mountain stages.

Big advantage is there isn't a Contador type who will just monster everyone
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:

Isn't that Basso's job Iain?
  • iainf72
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:

Andy Schlek could if he looks between his legs and finds his balls. We saw a superb attack from him at the Tour last year, no reason why he couldn't do that again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    iainf72 wrote:

Andy Schlek could if he looks between his legs and finds his balls. We saw a superb attack from him at the Tour last year, no reason why he couldn't do that again.

He pretty much saved it all up for a single stage though, didn't he? No real indication he could do that repeatedly (albeit in slightly smaller doses). And he'll have his work cut out with the amount of TTing this year, where unless he's improved drastically he's going to lose lots of time to Wiggins and Evans etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Um... none of these people are riding the Giro?

Strava is not Zen.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Wind is playing havoc with the ToR. Average speeds for the TT are currently under 33 km/h

Thomas De Gendt is currently the fastest with Gustav Larsson second
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'