Close down the Helmet Cam thread

Comments

• nameinuse
    nameinuse Posts: 71
    Ooh, nice to see I'm a sexist road warrior. Oh well... To be honest, I'd rather my initial reactions weren't to refer to women as 'love', but in the heat of the moment you're not making concious decisions. Call it a colloquial twitch. I'm going to work on that in future, took me a while (before camera) to learn not to instinctively swear.

The question you've really got to ask yourself is this - do you think the driving in the videos is acceptable? Are close overtakes and being squirted with screenwash whilst you ride to work things you accept as part and parcel of riding? Do you not thing those things put more people off cycling than a few videos on YouTube? I'm more than happy to share the road, but sharing is a two-way process. I suspect quite a lot of the complaints about close passes being nothing is down to the effect of the wide-angle lens on the camera; until you've ridden and compared footage, it's pretty hard to judge. It's also quite hard to tell how much evasive action someone is taking.

As to the thread itself, I quite like having a single place to post things without worrying that people who aren't interested in videos won't find them mixed in with other threads. I'm surprised that someone who doesn't like watching such videos is taking such an interest, really...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    gtvlusso wrote:
    FWIW - I don't care whether it is there or not. I do not use it.

IMHO - The 'cammers' crowd do seem to have allot of incidents to shout about and in most cases, it appears to be a non-incident made to look like an incident.

But it is up to them.....personally, I have better things to do with my time and money.

I don't see the 'learning/education' argument myself, but if they feel the need to justify the use of a camera to themselves, then go right on ahead.

However, I was going to get a camera to film my daughter and I going around the singletrack in Leigh Woods Bristol. Thats about as close to filming cycling as I will come though.....

but this implies that people with cameras are ONLY there to film 'incidents'

I thought I'd made it clear that isn't why I use mine. My last upload is of a bloody lovely stretch of new road fer crissake, the one before that was of a vampire on a bike. The before THAT was of a guy overtaking on a 90 degree bend - and that really WAS bloody stupid.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Why is the helmet cam thread stickied?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gtvlusso wrote:
    FWIW - I don't care whether it is there or not. I do not use it.

IMHO - The 'cammers' crowd do seem to have allot of incidents to shout about and in most cases, it appears to be a non-incident made to look like an incident.

But it is up to them.....personally, I have better things to do with my time and money.

I don't see the 'learning/education' argument myself, but if they feel the need to justify the use of a camera to themselves, then go right on ahead.

However, I was going to get a camera to film my daughter and I going around the singletrack in Leigh Woods Bristol. Thats about as close to filming cycling as I will come though.....

but this implies that people with cameras are ONLY there to film 'incidents'

I thought I'd made it clear that isn't why I use mine. My last upload is of a bloody lovely stretch of new road fer crissake, the one before that was of a vampire on a bike. The before THAT was of a guy overtaking on a 90 degree bend - and that really WAS bloody stupid.

Apologies, I digressed; The argument is really directed at the thread, in that context, I don't think that the thread really bothers me;

However, I think the camera use thing digresses into 2 camps;

1, Those that film because they quite enjoy cameras and stuff (as I imagine you are) - very occasional upload to the general public - it's just a bit of fun and the odd incident!

2, Those that film obsessively and upload everything and quite possibly provoke incidents or at least want the upper hand post an incident ( 'I know your reg number and will make it public on t'internet, sonny' brigade)

Number 2 is the one that I don't like....
  • Hayezy
    Hayezy Posts: 9
    I know I'm new to this board but I'd like to add a 3rd point to gtv,

3. those who use cameras to be on the safe side, should they get in to an accident, they have enough evidence so that the driver does not get away with what ever they have done.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I can think of 3 occasions on which I wished I'd had a cam.
    1. When I had a very near miss with a large stag in Bushy Park. That would have looked really good.
    2. When a driver I'd had a moan at for cutting me up came after me with a claw hammer.
    3. To illustrate to my son just how bad his signalling and road position is at times. That was from this morning and nearly warrants a rant, but more of a moan really.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:

Good question and one I've often wondered about. I say remove the sticky and let it live or die on its own merits, like any other thread.

The original SCR thread isn't stickied and is very rarely, if ever, off page 1.
    If helmetcammers want to post to it, UTFS.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    ^ IIRC it was stickied as it was lazy way for a Cycling Plus writer to pull an article together

This may be wrong, made up, libellous or all three
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    ^ IIRC it was stickied as it was lazy way for a Cycling Plus writer to pull an article together

This may be wrong, made up, libellous or all three

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised, as the "Commuting questions from CP" originally was. I remember because I got a free pint out of it.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I suggested here that I try and get the SCR thread stickied, but no-one was bothered.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Good question and one I've often wondered about. I say remove the sticky and let it live or die on its own merits, like any other thread.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The thread being stickied arguably gives prominence to some of the negative aspects of riding bikes. Either this is what the mods want to emphasize, or they've just forgotten to unsticky it...
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The thread being stickied arguably gives prominence to some of the negative aspects of riding bikes. Either this is what the mods want to emphasize, or they've just forgotten to unsticky it...

Admin, people, admin.

Mods can only do stuff with actual posts - lock them, move them, delete them, edit them.

Admin does stickies etc.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Videos from the commute don't have to be about dangerous situations, it can be about nice moments, such as the following.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjpmh9JaVro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRxEeEDES8

But often the nice stuff can be overshadowed by the dangerous situations which can be quite shocking.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I suggested here that I try and get the SCR thread stickied, but no-one was bothered.

Which kind of proves my point. No one was bothered because it lives (or dies) on its own merits. Unsticky the helmet cam thread and see what happens. If it sinks without trace then it proves that it shouldn't have been stickied.

Perhaps it will be like the Earworm thread I started many moons ago? That is bumped every now and then, has a few posts added to it and then sinks again, but if people want to find it they UTFS.

I think the only thread that should be stickied is a "Should I get a hybrid?" thread that should be stickied, should have a single post saying "No" and then be locked!

• rick_chasey
    So - what's the deal.

Do people want to unsticky everything, and make some Commuter specific FAQ locked sticky instead?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Unsticky it and see if it lives or dies....IMHO.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So - what's the deal.

Do people want to unsticky everything, and make some Commuter specific FAQ locked sticky instead?

Yes
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    gtvlusso wrote:
    2, Those that film obsessively and upload everything and quite possibly provoke incidents or at least want the upper hand post an incident ( 'I know your reg number and will make it public on t'internet, sonny' brigade)

Number 2 is the one that I don't like....

In this case, "helmet cam" works on more than one level.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone want to volunteer to write an FAQ post?

In a similar vain to this one I wrote for the Pro-race section: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12843356
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Perhaps it will be like the Earworm thread I started many moons ago? That is bumped every now and then, has a few posts added to it and then sinks again, but if people want to find it they UTFS.
    Don't remind me about that thread. Happy Feet just came back!!!! :twisted:
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    I recently bought a cheapo helmet cam, and have posted one video on the thread. My reason for doing so? The people I work with are always saying..."You must be mad to cycle on the roads today...it's deadly" ...etc etc. I wanted to do a film of me riding to work to convince them its actually a pleasant experience.
    Maybe unsticky it? I dunno, I dare say I'll always seek it out to look at some of the vids anyway :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    So - what's the deal.

I wouldn't mind, apart from the fact that people rarely read FAQs.

Ideas for locked sticky commuter specific FAQ:
    Should I get a hybrid?: No!
    Should I get a FG?: Not a terrible idea. Slightly lighter and lower maintenance than a geared bike. Can be harder on hills. Make sure you have at least a front brake and foot retention.
    Is ten miles too far to commute?: No.
    Is it OK to jump red lights?: No. If anybody is looking
    Should I wear a helmet?: If you want.
    Is it OK to ride on the pavement?: Yes, if you are 10 years old or younger.
    Panniers or rucksack?: If you carry a lot of stuff or suffer from a sweaty back, get panniers, otherwise a backpack will be fine.
    What saddle should I buy?: Dunno. Go to a good bike shop, try a few and buy whatever makes your bum happy (or least unhappy).
    Should I try clipless?: If you want. You will probably fall off at least once though. For commuting, double sided SPDs are often recommended.
    What lights should I get?: Bright flashy ones.
    Should I get a hybrid?: I've told you already. No!

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ideas for locked sticky commuter specific FAQ:

Should I get a hybrid?: No!
    Should I get a FG?: Not a terrible idea. Slightly lighter and lower maintenance than a geared bike. Can be harder on hills. Make sure you have at least a front brake and foot retention.
    Is ten miles too far to commute?: No.
    Is it OK to jump red lights?: No. If anybody is looking
    Should I wear a helmet?: If you want.
    Is it OK to ride on the pavement?: Yes, if you are 10 years old or younger.
    Panniers or rucksack?: If you carry a lot of stuff or suffer from a sweaty back, get panniers, otherwise a backpack will be fine.
    What saddle should I buy?: Dunno. Go to a good bike shop, try a few and buy whatever makes your bum happy (or least unhappy).
    Should I try clipless?: If you want. You will probably fall off at least once though. For commuting, double sided SPDs are often recommended.
    What lights should I get?: Bright flashy ones.
    Should I get a hybrid?: I've told you already. No!

He's right.

Apart from clipless = Yes. ah feck it, I don't care, if you want.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    *takes mod hat off*

Ever since that DDD thread there's been a deluge of suggestions on how to run the forum.

No need for a FAQ sticky thread - there's one in Commuting General forum already

I'd unsticky the CP questions thread and leave the other two stickies alone. To me the point of a sticky is to keep an On Topic thread which may not get frequent posts to the fore and to avoid mulitple 'here's a video' threads.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    *takes mod hat off*

Ever since that DDD thread there's been a deluge of suggestions on how to run the forum, so we've decided to pretend to make a new OT sub forum and then left everything exactly as it has alway been in the hope that no one will notice. We think it has worked.

Fixed TWH's quote of RC (I know he hates being called that) for him.

• rick_chasey
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    *takes mod hat off*

Ever since that DDD thread there's been a deluge of suggestions on how to run the forum, so we've decided to pretend to make a new OT sub forum and then left everything exactly as it has alway been in the hope that no one will notice. We think it has worked.

We both know it's not that simple!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    *takes mod hat off*

Got a new hat ain't ya?!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    *takes mod hat off*

We both know it's not that simple!
    I know nothing. I'm well fick, innit.

• rick_chasey
    supersonic wrote:
    *takes mod hat off*

Got a new hat ain't ya?!
    Little-Fockers-Robert-De-Niro-Close-Up-25-10-10-kc.jpg
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    No need for a FAQ sticky thread - there's one in Commuting General forum already

But no-one will ever read it in there . . . . .

You may as well sellotape the instructions on how to put your Ikea furniture together to the inside of the diesel tank of the van that delivers it to the store.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?