Close down the Helmet Cam thread

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are very much indeed different people!

Cheers Cleat for pointing that out, seems to be the reason for these allegations (not that they needed to be aired either way!)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Well in that case shouldn't there be an apology, and someone be made to eat their words and not their breakfast.
  • Well in that case shouldn't there be an apology, and someone be made to eat their words and not their breakfast.

I quoted the post from here:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12846147&p=17545693#p17545693

Which is actually vesterberg quoting some other bod who reckons immigrants get free houses. An unreserved apology for vesterberg from me for being a cock, that's entirely my mistake, he was QUOTING a stupid post and I thought it was his. Sorry.

He's still wrong about helmet cams though.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited April 2012
    Regardless of the user I think we should pedal the myth that all cyclists carry cameras. Motorists might just behave better around us if they all believe it. A few highly publicised cases where head cam evidence was acted on would help a lot.

In fact go further, all cars should have black boxes and cameras covering a full 360 . No exchanging insurance details and making up lies on the forms about what happened and who's fault it was, just take a look at the data. After all, the price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • All new bikes should come fitted with cameras.

(Sorry again vesterberg)
  • Regardless of the user I think we should peddle the myth that all cyclists carry cameras...

Fixed that for you.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Regardless of the user I think we should peddle the myth that all cyclists carry cameras...

Fixed that for you.
    No, you ruined my pun, I was proud of that one!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Regardless of the user I think we should peddle the myth that all cyclists carry cameras...

Fixed that for you.
    No, you ruined my pun, I was proud of that one!

Sorry.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fair play to mbc for apologising.

Something we don't see enough of around these parts.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Does anyone actually LOOK at the commuting footage thread or Cake Stop?

Weird....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Deep breath.

OK here goes.

Personally I find the abundance of "dangerous encounters" helmet cam footage off putting. Not everyone uploads footage containing the worst experiences on the bike. But there is a lot of it and I do wonder if all this youtube/video footage campaigning is doing more harm than good. I will also say that of those that do upload endless streams of the 'perils of cycling' can give off the image of the 'millitant cylists' as it seems all they ever post is crashes, examples of bad, dangerous and inconsiderate driving as well as the occasional argument. It is off putting, it is negative and you know who you are.

Having said that, do I think we should take down the helmet cam thread? No.

There is nothing inappropriate about having a thread about the helmet cam footage or cycle commute in the commuting section.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD

The Cake Stop really is the bastion of the ignorant. Jesus.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Bullshit.

Just because there are a few ignorant people who post on Cake Stop doesn't mean we all are. There are a few ignorant people who post in Commuting Chat too.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jesus.

And what's he got to do with it? Don't you realise that comments like that might offend people of a religious nature? (Not that I give a toss I hasten to add.)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    DonDaddyD wrote:

So is Commuting Chat :lol::lol::lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bullshit.

Just because there are a few ignorant people who post on Cake Stop doesn't mean we all are. There are a few ignorant people who post in Commuting Chat too.

Explain to me where I actually wrote "all the people who post in the cake stop are ignorant?"
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Explain to me where I actually wrote "all the people who post in the cake stop are ignorant?"

Did I say you wrote "all the people who post in the cake stop are ignorant?"

No. You said -
    DonDaddyD wrote:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Deep breath.

OK here goes.

Oh just type man, no need to build yourself up.

The Commuting Chat really is the bastion of the self-opinionated.
  • Vesterberg
    Vesterberg Posts: 330
    Well in that case shouldn't there be an apology, and someone be made to eat their words and not their breakfast.

I quoted the post from here:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12846147&p=17545693#p17545693

Which is actually vesterberg quoting some other bod who reckons immigrants get free houses. An unreserved apology for vesterberg from me for being a fool, that's entirely my mistake, he was QUOTING a stupid post and I thought it was his. Sorry.

He's still wrong about helmet cams though.

fair enough, apology accepted.

Back on topic, the original post was admittedly a little OTT but it was perhaps overspill from the angry mob that was forming around Quentin Rayner. I sometimes think cyclists don't help themselves and need to take a step back and realise that they won't win hearts and minds by being arrogant ar5eholes. Until the government helps us, we need to help ourselves a bit.
  • Vesterberg
    ...and no, I am not the poster known as 'Westerberg'. Perhaps we share a love of this great man:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrmutT7 ... ure=relmfu
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Seriously lets not argue the semantics on the context of what your sentence (below) meant. Clearly you did.

If you cannot admit to it or are not intelligent enough to grasp this, then that clearly is your problem.
    KBD wrote:
    Just because there are a few ignorant people who post on Cake Stop doesn't mean we all are.

The sentence which contains the phrase "we all are" in the context of our little exchange is a claim on your part that I suggested all cake stop members are ignorant.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Deep breath.

OK here goes.

Heh, it really is isn't. We are, all of us, completely correct in our opinions even the stuff that conflicts, contradicts or is the complete opposite of another opinion. All of us.

Except Rick Chasey... nark.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Vesterberg
    could you two go and play elsewhere?

back on topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcnyHto ... e=youtu.be

This is the kind of inflammatory stuff I'm coming across 'whhhooaaa love, whaddya think your doing' shouted at women drivers for daring to attempt to share the road/
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm done with the pissing battle.
    Vesterberg wrote:

Back on topic, the original post was admittedly a little OTT but it was perhaps overspill from the angry mob that was forming around Quentin Rayner. I sometimes think cyclists don't help themselves and need to take a step back and realise that they won't win hearts and minds by being arrogant ar5eholes. Until the government helps us, we need to help ourselves a bit.

I haven't read the thread but I do sometimes feel deflated by the fact that some cyclists continually upload every instance of poor driving. It does nothing to promote the virtues of cycling. Sometimes and at the very worst you get the impression that they ride their bikes just to complain about motorists - this being the perception because there is not an equal amount of contrasting footage of enjoyable cycling from said culprits.

It's a personal view that's been building over the past two years.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Seriously lets not argue the semantics on the context of what your sentence (below) meant. Clearly you did.

If you cannot admit to it or are not intelligent enough to grasp this, then that clearly is your problem.
    KBD wrote:
    Just because there are a few ignorant people who post on Cake Stop doesn't mean we all are.

The sentence which contains the phrase "we all are" in the context of our little exchange is a claim on your part that I suggested all cake stop members are ignorant.

I haven't got time to respond properly now, it's a nice sunny day and I'm going out climbing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:
    Vesterberg: go away and shut up.

There are a lot more than just 'demonising' driving vids on there, as you would know if you bothered to get your head out of your ars*.

Have I missed some past history? Because I don't think the OP is particularly OTT.....and it's not like you KB to respond like this.

I am sympathetic to the OP's sentiment.

Indeed it's not, but as admitted later (and also taking into account the deleted comments I saw before they were removed) the OP's initial post was inflammatory and as one person who makes a point of posting positive vids (with the odd dickhead thrown in); the kind of comment made really does wind me up.

I would invite the OP go to and look at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tr4veller/videos There are few idiots in there (and the infamous "daft tart" shout :wink: ) but I bought the camera to highlight the good driving and great experiences I have while cycling.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Deep breath.

OK here goes.

Heh, it really is isn't. We are, all of us, completely correct in our opinions even the stuff that conflicts, contradicts or is the complete opposite of another opinion. All of us.

Except Rick Chasey... nark.

Careful Mr! ;)

As an aside, we should keep this thread vaguely on track. A discussion of which off-topic area is worse probably isn't going to end well....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ultimately, commuters have to deal with difficult traffic.

Head-cams let us see that. Don't think there's an issue with that.

Some people may take issue with the behaviour of some riders - and see some corrolation with helmet cam wearers and cycling behaviour they don't like - but no-one likes the way everyone cycles.

Chaps in all the gear and no idea tend to irritate me more, since they think I'm some kinda embankment leadout man, but I wouldn't want to stop them posting on a forum!!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    But you ARE my lead out man.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    FWIW - I don't care whether it is there or not. I do not use it.

IMHO - The 'cammers' crowd do seem to have allot of incidents to shout about and in most cases, it appears to be a non-incident made to look like an incident.

But it is up to them.....personally, I have better things to do with my time and money.

I don't see the 'learning/education' argument myself, but if they feel the need to justify the use of a camera to themselves, then go right on ahead.

However, I was going to get a camera to film my daughter and I going around the singletrack in Leigh Woods Bristol. Thats about as close to filming cycling as I will come though.....