boardman comp hybrid accident

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it safe to keep re-torquing the (steel in Aluminium alloy) bolt ? How long will the alloy cope ?

The whole thing seems a disfunctional bit of bling, when a simple rubber grip would cost less, weigh less, and be safe.

I use both lock on grips and standard - the lock ons can vary a little in how they are made. As a mechanic of many years I have got pretty good at judging torques and, despite checking dozens of times over many years, they are fine! In fact rarely needed to be any tighter, when I say have worked lose before I can recount twice. These were Diatech lock ons.

I would say that them coming loose is rather uncommon, though I am not ruling out a design flaw in this case.

Anyway, let's keep to the topic (whatever that was!). Which the OP is not going to be able to do now as is banned.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    supersonic wrote:
    Anyway, let's keep to the topic (whatever that was!). Which the OP is not going to be able to do now as is banned.

Spoil sport! He was fun. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This is like the 21C, online version of 'Falling Down'. Albeit not as well thought out or as eloquent.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I'm already missing the OP's invective.
    Don't think ineedalager has posted recently either.
    :-(
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Dear "Mr" boardmancomp555

chill out dude, why so much anger?

worryingly i think "boardmancomp555" is from somewhere around my neck of the woods (he was asking about riding from Liverpool to Blackpool in another thread)

i shall try an not look at anyone riding a Boardman in case he gets me an "impales me on my seat stem"

suzyb wrote:
    suzy go and get laid girl
    You offering?

is this the beginning of a budding romance?

i'm jealous i thought i was your "special friend"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,684
    supersonic wrote:
    Probably a good thing, I nearly reported my own post for obvious goading of a tool. We shouldn't laugh at the afflicted, well not too much.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    mudcow007 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    You offering?

I can have more than one.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    suzyb wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    You offering?

I can have more than one.
    That's alright then. I thought it was all off for a minute there. :wink:
    Would you two get a room?

Chris and Suzy, sitting in a tree, KI-S-S-I-N-G :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    suzyb wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    I thought this had been locked?

Bit of fun though, in a car-crash tv sort of way.
    t'was the other thread of his that was locked.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&p=17544414#p17544414
  • As posted previously in this thread, I had a similar encounter with the grip slipping on the handlebar (causing the end cap and outer grip clamp to fall off). The grip slipping caused me to lose balance and clip a bridge hand rail and this caused the front wheel to turn almost 90's and me to come off the seat into the end of the handlebar. Thankfully I was only going about 5mph at the time or my injuries could have been very similar to boardmancomp555 - still got a nasty bruise though.

On further checking this was my fault in believing that Halfords had "built" the bike correctly etc. as I noticied that the other grip was also loose and could also be rotated and slid off the handlebar without a great deal of effort. After using my multi-tool to tighten the grip clamp bolts the grips didn't budge. I also noticed that my brakes slightly rubbed the discs.

I would say that this isn't down to any inherant design flaw with the boardman grips, more the incompetance of Halfords in setting up the bike and making it "safe" to ride. I even had a pinch flat (aka. snake bike) on the ride home because they had only set the 700x28c tyres to 60psi, when the tyres state 70psi min - 120psi max. Not something you'd expect to have to check before leaving the shop. I should have been suspicious when they wheeled the bike out with all the protective foam padding still in place. :roll:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Even though though the other bloke who suffered this issue as recently proved himself to be a complete and utter tool, it doesn't mean that Halfords do not have a duty to make sure their bikes are sold in a safe, rideable condition. I'm sure there will be plenty of parents who don't really know what to look for sending their nearest and dearest out on brand new, badly assembled bikes bought from Halfords. I seriously think Boardman need to put a boot up Halfords' arse if they want to maintain their incredible reputation.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    He may have someone else accessing his pc and writing provocative nonsense.
    Or he may be a very angry man. With a pottymouth.
    If it is the latter, I can only imagine the language when he had his accident. :oops:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had a similar problem with the grips on my Charge Duster - the rings didn't seem to tighten up enough and unless checked regularly they worked loose - presumably because of vibration through the rubber grip - bike was built by Wiggle - eventually I got rid of the grips
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    When I saw this thread had fresh posts I had a frisson of excitement that whathisname was back and going off again.

Sadly I am disappointed.

I miss him.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Greg T wrote:
    When I saw this thread had fresh posts I had a frisson of excitement that whathisname was back and going off again.

Sadly I am disappointed.

I miss him.

U R a T@wt n u desirve 2 die. Go pleasure ur own pee pee u quear....

Feel happier now?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Mr Sworld wrote:

U R a T@wt n u desirve 2 die. Go pleasure ur own pee pee u quear....

Feel happier now?

ahhhh

like slipping into a warm bath
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Mods won't let him back on - he's a very naughty boy
  • rolf_f
    Greg T wrote:

Sadly I am disappointed.

I miss him.

IF I WANTED A ENGLISH LESSON YE PRICK AD ASK FOR ONE YE SAD **** !!!!! NOW fark OF AND PLAY WID YE GAY FORUM
    listen people come on forum for advise and get ripped for me spelling by one sad old man ralph must be an old school teacher geta life, not here to take shoot ! found me problem any way, piece of glass buried right in tyre just popping its head out after i twisted and turned tyre inside out no more punctures i hope and no more shoot of dickeds nothink else better 2 do jump on the ban wagon and correct peoples spellings

I am one of the chosen few who was singled out personally (and for only one post which was trying to be helpful) - I regard it as a special honour and expect many of you are deeply envious to have missed out! :lol:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Rolf F wrote:
    I am one of the chosen few who was singled out personally (and for only one post which was trying to be helpful) - I regard it as a special honour and expect many of you are deeply envious to have missed out! :lol:

I was likened to a plasticine model of a female taxi driver. Beat that!
  • veronese68
    Mods won't let him back on - he's a very naughty boy
    Oh, so not the messiah then?
    I'm disappointed I was too late to get a personal flaming from the illiterate one.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Whereas I was merely exhorted to go home a give the good lady wife a solid rogering. You know what? A strangely persuasive fellow in some respects :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    SimonAH wrote:
    Whereas I was merely exhorted to go home a give the good lady wife a solid rogering. You know what? A strangely persuasive fellow in some respects :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    SiAH: "Evening Dearest, I'm afraid we have to get to it right here and right now as some random lunatic on t'interweb has instructed me to."
    Mrs SiAH: "Fank f@ck 4 dat, fort u'd never arks."

This is almost certainly not what happened.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

I was likened to a plasticine model of a female taxi driver. Beat that!

That's true - I think we'd all like to see that quote if you can post it again!

OK, I may not have got the best personally attack but I think I can claim to be the fuse that first ignited the fun - without my gentle hint not to use txt spk, none of this might ever have happened (though I'm pretty sure it would have!). If I can have given the world one good thing this year, that was it :lol:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I'm disappointed noone noticed my post in the rants thread about text speak...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Rolf F wrote:
    OK, I may not have got the best personally attack but I think I can claim to be the fuse that first ignited the fun - without my gentle hint not to use txt spk, none of this might ever have happened (though I'm pretty sure it would have!). If I can have given the world one good thing this year, that was it :lol:

Pah. It was my chiding him to write more clearly what dunnit, obviously!

I'm Spartacus!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I'm Spartacus!

I can't help feeling partly responsible because I told him to stop being a **** and **** off after he started getting abusive (although I thought it was slightly over the top and edited it out). For my penance I will now go and ride up Kirkstone Pass.
  • rolf_f
    davis wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I'm Spartacus!

I hear what you say but on this thread he didn't start using caps lock and calling everyone gay faggots til the 11th whereas on the other thread he had already called me (and Paul E for supporting my comment) "SADOS" on the 7th; you're not depriving me of this glory :lol:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I'm disappointed noone noticed my post in the rants thread about text speak...

Really? I'd have thought that Peter was too busy with his current tour.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was the first to get the CAPS LOCK treatment on Friday 6th
    by the sounds of it you r calling me a LIAR !!
    but
    sorry sirs 4 the spelling mistakes GET A LIFE YE SADOS !!
    in his (now locked) puncture thread wasn't until Saturday 7th. I think I win, but Ralph (sic) and Paul E should get a special mention.

I wonder if he comes back to look at his legacy?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I was the first to get the CAPS LOCK treatment on Friday 6th
    by the sounds of it you r calling me a LIAR !!
    but
    sorry sirs 4 the spelling mistakes GET A LIFE YE SADOS !!
    in his (now locked) puncture thread wasn't until Saturday 7th. I think I win, but Ralph (sic) and Paul E should get a special mention.

I wonder if he comes back to look at his legacy?

One word in caps lock is acceptable though slightly misguided emphasis - it doesn't properly count. A whole sentence (if you can call it that) in caps lock is the true indication of someone who has lost it! Don't rain on my parade man :lol:

I do hope and trust he comes back to look. I fondly hope he'll try and sign up with a new id and selflessly provide us with some more entertainment.