boardman comp hybrid accident

Comments

• i have downloaded pics three times, dont now why they get removed
  • ooh shit used a tx word omg omg omg omg omg omg omg fuckin dick eds,, go impale ye selfs on ye seat stems ye load of stuck up faggots,, want fuck ye bird up the arse instead of being on a gay cycle forum fuckin southen faggots
    ---
    Mod: Left so admin can see :)
  • or suck cock instead ye fuckin sad fuckers
  • simon ah u tit go fuck ye bird before some 1 else does ye fuckin southen faggot

Mod: left so admin can see :).
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
  • boardmancomp555
    boardmancomp555 Posts: 48
    edited April 2012
    Mod: Abuse will not be tolerated.
  • Mod: Abuse will not be tolerated.
  • suzyb
    suzy go and get laid girl
    You offering?

With the amount of posts you've made tonight and you're attitude in them it sounds like I'm not the only one that should.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    edited April 2012
    What an angry little man you are.

For the record, it's not the text speak that really makes me dislike you (horrid as it is) and I would have made no comment. It's the fact that as soon as someone did (and they were pretty gentle with you) you suddenly dissolve into torrents of abuse.

I'm guessing bedwetter longer than most? Bullied a bit at school?

You do, in fact, come across as the sort of spittle lipped, cider breathed, red faced screaming scrote that the police have to hoover up in town centres at chucking out time with skinned knuckles and vomit stains down the front of their replica football shirts.

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you've done and perhaps, once you learn how to play well with the other children, we'll want to talk to you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    oh wait no...you're drunk posting.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    do i give a fark sad fools

You seem to care enough to respond a number of times. I guess if you had thicker skin, you wouldn't have got impaled on the bar end - nasty gash, BTW. I wish you luck in your case against Halfords and your pics serve as a reminder to people to check their kit.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    jejv wrote:
    Does Halfords have a eugenics policy ?
    The OP seems to turn agressive quite rapidly when faced with something he doesn't understand. He feels insecure, under attack, and responds agressively. Even when folk are trying to help him.
    I would not like to meet the OP on the road, whether he's a ped or a cyclist, or driving a motor vehicle. I'm too familiar with that. I would prefer not to meet him at all.

So I have essentially no personal sympathy for the OP.

However:

He seems to have fallen foul of some seriously dangerous design. Which happens with bicycles. If a car or a motorbike had the problem he (and others) described, there would be a product recall.

Oh yes, did Halfords tell him to make sure the front skewer was always super tight, because of the disk brake on the wrong side of the front fork ?

The OP or probably his solicitor, given the OP's personality, should contact a mechanical engineer who understands bicycles. Chris Juden at the CTC might be a good place to start.

This style of grip seems to be fitted to all the Boardman flat-bar road bikes, and midrange and up MTBs.
    2 weeks Previously the Metal Gromit holding the handle grip on had come off whilst I cycling up hill, which I lost control of the bike and nearly ended up under a car. Went to Halfords they fitted another gromit and a new handle grip, 2 weeks later same thing happened and I had my accident.
    I had something similar on mine boardman performance hybrid comp.

Crossing a narrow bridge on the cyclepath and the silver boardman retainer clamp thing and end cap came off the grip and the grip itself slid about an inch causing me to loose control and catch the handlebar on the bridge hand-rail. Cue the front wheel being kicked 90 degrees and me being forced into the bar end.
    supersonic wrote:
    I check my grip bolts before every other ride, often every ride as they have worked loose before and spun the grips.

I an NOT a mechanical engineer.

But this looks very strange to me:

63828-4.jpg

The bolt seems a bit small. M4, compared to M5 or M6 on other bar extensions / clamps.

But the realy weird thing is the cutouts in the clamp. Why are they there ? I'd expect a smooth-ish surface all the way round.

They are there to stop the grip rotating. The grip has tabs that slot into the cutouts.

file.php?id=1310&sid=a3f6582e2090c313ad8c0ad5b30941c6

So what happens if you tighten the bolt ? I think you get a clamp with four-point contact, with contact at the ends of the cutouts. The points where the ends of the cutouts touch the bar become pivots, and the outside of the clamp is stretched around these pivots. It doesn't clamp all the way round the bar, like an alloy brake lever, or a decent bar extension. So if it is subjected to a changing load, it is liable to walk off the end of the bar. As it walks, the bolt will also loosen, as a result of transient sideways stresses across the clamp bolt.

Oops.
    supersonic wrote:
    I check my grip bolts before every other ride, often every ride as they have worked loose before and spun the grips.

Is it safe to keep re-torquing the (steel in Aluminium alloy) bolt ? How long willthe alloy cope ?

The whole thing seems a disfunctional bit of bling, when a simple rubber grip would cost less, weigh less, and be safe.
  • jejv
    edited April 2012
    Anyone have Chris Boardman's home or mobile number ?
    I'm sure he could explain all this.
  • HA HA WOT EVER LUV LIKE I SAID GO AND GET LAID THEY ALL GAY SAD FUCKERS ON THIS SITE UN LESS U A CHICK WITH A DICK :D:D:D:D:D CLOSING MY ACCOUNT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • suzyb
    defo drunk posting.
  • SimonAH
    @jejv

Hmm, you're right. I just went and checked the aftermarket grips currently on the project and the rings are a similar cross section - but the plastic they fit over is similarly profiled and the purpose appears to be to stop the lock rings rotating relative to the grips (the grips in question here are winged palm-rest ergo grips). HOWEVER there are two lockrings per grip - one inboard and one outboard so it would require both to fail for there to be a chance of the grip slipping off.

Under normal circumstances there should be no reason for the grub screws to work loose assuming that they were properly tightened initially?? I can't understand why they should be loosening?

And by the way OP, I do feel sorry for your accident and injuries - and wish you all the best in tackling Halfords. I failed by the way when I tried to get them to admit liability for an accident caused by astoundingly poor design on one of their products - they just threw lawyers at it.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I'm drunk, OP is still a twat. The boy needs help.
  • jejv
    HA HA WOT EVER LUV LIKE I SAID GO AND GET LAID THEY ALL GAY SAD idiots ON THIS SITE UN LESS U A CHICK WITH A DICK :D:D:D:D:D CLOSING MY ACCOUNT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Tell (tell, not ask) your solicitor to look at this thread,
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hope the OP doesn't close his account.

Its kind of like watching the drunk bloke in a club trying to dance and chat up girls who all reject him. You feel a bit sorry for him, but its fun to watch.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I thought this had been locked?

Bit of fun though, in a car-crash tv sort of way.
  • suzyb
    CiB wrote:

t'was the other thread of his that was locked.
  • SimonAH
    Well, no spittle splattered posts of badly spelled invective for a while..... Guess either our angry chum has collapsed on the kitchen floor to sleep it off, or he really has gone away for good.

G'night all, I'm off tae bed xxx

• EKE_38BPM
    CiB wrote:

No, that was his puncture thread. He had many slow punctures, didn't check properly what caused the numerous p*nctures, used many innertubes to fix the flats, came on here asking for advice (I replied saying check for the cause of the p*ncture before going onto more drastic measures such as getting a new tyre) and offered advice on how to locate where on the tyre the p*ncture came from. Eventually the OP got pulled up on his use of text speak, got all defensive, then abusive and then admitted that it was a piece of glass in the tyre.

Then the thread got locked.

• jejv
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hmm, you're right. I just went and checked the aftermarket grips currently on the project and the rings are a similar cross section - but the plastic they fit over is similarly profiled and the purpose appears to be to stop the lock rings rotating relative to the grips (the grips in question here are winged palm-rest ergo grips). HOWEVER there are two lockrings per grip - one inboard and one outboard so it would require both to fail for there to be a chance of the grip slipping off.
    If I understand right, the inner clamp doesn't do much except stop the grip rotating. There's no significant force from the inner clamps keeping the grip on the bars.
    SimonAH wrote:
    Under normal circumstances there should be no reason for the grub screws to work loose assuming that they were properly tightened initially?? I can't understand why they should be loosening?
    The loosening is my guess. If the clamp has the four-point contact, and is loaded sideways with a varying noad, any distortion of the clamp will tend to undo the bolt.

In the same way as a front disc brake will tend to loosen the skewer.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I'm actually offended that a significant portion of society which has legal protection, is being used as an insult by the OP.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jejv
    I'm actually offended that a significant portion of society which has legal protection, is being used as an insult by the OP.
    You mean calling everyone gay ?

I reckon he's collapsed on the kitchen floor in a frilly pink dress.

A bit like J Edgar Hoover, but without the brains.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I think the OP should meet HeadHuunter. What would his insult be then?

Oh yeah, "Southern".

• jejv
    But seriously folks, regardless of the OP's - perhaps repressed - sexual preferences, and regardless of his/her/per gender, pe may have hit a serious problem with a big load of bikes.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Oh deary, deary me :shock:

I'd love to respond, but I have a nasty feeling it would be a bit like taunting the 'special' kid. I suggest we pick up our bargepoles and step well away.

Good luck OP! You're gonna need it!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Oh yeah and from memory while the injury pic did look nasty, it also looked like a bunch of short and curlies, and the base of the OP's stump. That might have something to do with it disappearing?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?