boardman comp hybrid accident

Comments

• i went 2 see them at halfords yesterday the manger remembered me alright , made sure he did wen i went back in after accident with me cast and broken bike he remembers me and the bike ! just have 2 wait and c wot happens now, its in me solicitors hands fingers crossed ,,, any 1 with same thing happening with the gromits coming off get in touch via pm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    apreading wrote:
    I cant work out how you would be pulling sideways with any force when going uphill though - surely you would be pulling the grips upwards and if loose they might slip and rotate but not slide completely off?

This was my thinking, but I suppose if you are pulling up on the right hand side of the handlebar, you would push down on the left and if the grip came loose, you could push the left hand grip down and outwards. Your hand could slide off and the handle bar and wheel would turn sharply to the right.

A strange situation that I've never heard of before (again, I'm not calling you a liar).

I once had a pair of drop bars snap whilst sprinting away from the lights on my fixie. I was pushing down on the left hand side of the handlebar and that side just snapped.
    To this day I don't know how I stayed upright. The guy I was riding with saw it happen and was convinced I'd go down and end up under the wheels of the truck I was in front of. It must just be my Danny McAskil levels of balance that kept me rubber side down.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • by the sounds of it you r calling me a LIAR !! just read what dee4life2005 has put in his reply, handle bar went in his groin but he was just badly bruised and a bruised wrist !! he was only doing 5mph,am left handed and it was the left grip that come off, forcing me 2 push down on the right handle bar causing accident,just thought i broke me wrist didnt even know handle bar went in groin, until i seen hole in me shorts took me a wile to look just a big hole and a lot of blood luckly never hit any main organs, it happened 2 me not u so b careful out there: u obviously not had a cycling accident,
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    by the sounds of it you r calling me a LIAR !! just read what dee4life2005 has put in his reply, handle bar went in his groin but he was just badly bruised and a bruised wrist !! he was only doing 5mph,am left handed and it was the left grip that come off, forcing me 2 push down on the right handle bar causing accident,just thought i broke me wrist didnt even know handle bar went in groin, until i seen hole in me shorts took me a wile to look just a big hole and a lot of blood luckly never hit any main organs, it happened 2 me not u so b careful out there: u obviously not had a cycling accident,

I think you're completely misreading (and misrepresenting) EKE's comments. He's not calling you a liar, merely having trouble understanding how your accident happened. Perhaps if you took the time to write more clearly it'd be easier to understand. For what it's worth, I believe EKE has managed to bend at least one bike (EKE: You had the banana fixie, didn't you?).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can't view the images so I still don't understand what has happened. What 'grommet'?

I check my grip bolts before every other ride, often every ride as they have worked loose before and spun the grips.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I can definitely see how it might happen. The OP has already confessed to being a big lad, he's out the saddle applying a lot of weight to the front end of the bike to climb the hill, he's rolling the bike left to right with each stroke of the pedals and therefore applying that up/down movement against the grips when... The level of injury is the bad luck part.
  • supersonic
    EDIT: Ah, I see, the grip has moved irrespective of the grip collar. These should be dual collars, and does look like a poor design.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    supersonic wrote:
    I can't view the images so I still don't understand what has happened. What 'grommet'?

I check my grip bolts before every other ride, often every ride as they have worked loose before and spun the grips.

Yup, "grommet" is a misleading term; they're actually talking about the grip bolts coming loose, allowing the grip to slide off the bars.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • supersonic
    Ah, so the the outer grip was not sliding over the inner cartridge, the bolts had come loose? Is something that does need checking frequently I am afraid.
  • this is the loose gromit , handle grip just slides off, not glued on just moves freely, just 1 of them freaky accidents i suppose but due 2 loose gromit :evil: !!
  • heres the gromit
  • heres handle bar with gromit
  • heres handle grip loose
  • ouch plenty of screws
  • nice wound off handle bar end
  • supersonic
    The grommet is called the locking collar. Was it tightened?
  • yes after it came off first time round 2 weeks previous i always made sure each tightened each time i went on a bike ride
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    You're images aren't showing herebut I get what you mean, I have had similar grips.

To explain a bit to the uninitiated - the grips have a smooth plastic inner covered with the rubber grip. one or both ends have a lockring/locking collar secured with a small allen bolt (the grommit of this thread) which holds the entire grip apparatus solidly on the bar. If the lockring becomes loose then there is precious little surface tension between the smooth plastic inner and the bare metal of the bar to keep the two together. It would take barely any pressure in any direction to see the entire grip apparatus come sliding easily off.

BC555 - You sound like a big and possibly heavy handed guy or I could easily imagine one of Halfords less capable staff making this mistake - maybe the threads on the grommits/or their hole in the grips have been overtightened and crossed or just worn down? They'd never screw as tightly as you think in that case and would not hold the grips on for long.

If you're sure the threads are still serviceable, you could try a bit of superglue or liquid threadlock on the 'grommits' to fix them more solidly in place, but you'll have more trouble getting the grips off come upgrade time.

Otherwise I would suggest you find some conventional rubber grips you like and forget the 'grommit' types as they don't seem to be suitable to your style or Halfords care.

apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs from here but conventional rubber grips will be far less likely to slip as long as you put them on properly - i.e. no lubrication inside the grip to help it slide onto the bar.

My way of putting them on is: Be sure the bar itself is properly clean and dry and your brakes/gears are losened off and pushed far enough into the bar not to get in the way of slipping the grip on, fully immerse the grip in a jug of boiling water for a couple of minutes to soften and expand it, fish it out of the water, shake the excess water off ensuring the inside is pretty well dry and slide the grip fully into position on the bar - it'll be dead easy, leave it for a while to cool and contract onto the metal it'll be solid on - overnight is ideal. tweak the brakes/gears in position and bobs yer uncle.
    Removal is dead easy too, jug of boiling water on the floor and tip the bike on its side to fully immerse the grip and bar, leave it a couple of minutes, put a glove on as the metal gets hot fast, and ease the grip off.

last thing, I'd be careful flashing your email address about on the forum, maybe invite people to PM you instead, this is an open forum accessible to the wide world of spammers
  • On conventional rubber grips hairspray also works quite well. When you spray it onto the bar it's liquid enough to help you slide the grip on, but it then dries to a tacky finish and sticks the grip in place.

Those lock-on grips are meant to be for downhilling aren't they? I'm surprised that they would have failed so badly given that you were tightening them every ride. It's possible that the threads were stripped so that no amount of tightening would actually have helped or that the particular design is just very weak. I'm not a lawyer, but I think you have a decent claim against Halfords, especially since it was only 2 week safter they refitted the grips. Out of interest, how old was the bike? I don't know for sure, but I assume that there's some point in time when the responsibility for failures like this shifts from the seller who originally assembled the bike to the owner/person who maintains it.
  • the bike was only 2 weeks old wen the grip first come off wen i was goin up a hill, i was still in my biking gear fumming :evil: went straight 2 halfords 7.45pm mid week explained wot happened they put a new grip and grommet on,since that day i made sure that they were tightened before each ride was doin 30miles plus every nyt then 2 weeks later it happened again had the accident and plus am 16st ginger hulk :D go gym lol and so the gromits are no good 4 me , halfords put bar ends on wen they repaired the bike,
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    wallace-and-gromit.jpg
  • liked that jonny :lol: , WALLACE & GROMIT, BY THE WAY just dowloaded the curse of were- rabbit 4 the kids good film wallace and gromit, watch it the chicken falls of his bike gets run over by a taxi the drivers name jonny -trousers and its a girl :lol:
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Does Halfords have a eugenics policy ?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    They tried to kill me with some mudguards a while ago.....but then I detest txt speak and flaming, so if it is a eugenics policy then those are not the criteria.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    SimonAH wrote:
    They tried to kill me with some mudguards a while ago.....but then I detest txt speak and flaming, so if it is a eugenics policy then those are not the criteria.
    Fair enough.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    jejv wrote:
    Does Halfords have a eugenics policy ?

eurythmics

Jawbones weren't around then.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    :
    SimonAH wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    536783_318965208163655_184225301637647_880318_677378716_n.jpg
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • merkin wrote:
    :
    SimonAH wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    get a life :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    You're images aren't showing herebut I get what you mean, I have had similar grips.

Why is that?

I can't see them either. The Genesis Equilibrium thread is the same.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!