hope pro2 or superstar ?

124»

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'm about 11st (slightly over) and went for the ArchEX for my HT but they are part of the 'turning-my-XC-bike-into-an-AM-bike' plan so went for the slightly more hardcore wheel. Also learning my trade in the Alps is resulting in some rather heavy hits :oops:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • MDobs wrote:
    really glad i found this before buying my wheelset.

i'm looking at the Arch EX or Crest on Trizoid hubs, is there much difference?

having read the blurb on both it seems like the Arch EX are simply a bit wider (therefore slightly heavier and stiffer). i'm getting these for my XC hardtail, i quite like the idea of a tougher wheel even though i'm only 11st and not hammering it i do like to push what few descents there are in my area. this is my only ride and i want something that can handle fast rocky chalk descents prone to large flint chunks. or would the Crests be fine?

also is it worth £60 to upgrade from Race to CX Ray spokes?

(sorry for all the questions, but that's kind of the point of the post!)

That's the exact combo I went for on my wheelset.
    Trizoid hubs, Arch EX, CX Ray & Alloy nipples.
    Weight was 1642g with the superstar rimtape which was replaced with stans yellow tape at a comparable weight (if not slightly lighter).

They've been flawless so far. Only got a couple of hundred miles on them, but they're very nice indeed. Very well put together and seem very strong despite the weight. The hubs are amazing too, very smooth, instant pickup, highly recommended.

As for the question if CX Ray is worth the extra over race. Well, it's really down to how light you want them to be and how much you've got to spend. I had races on my old set of switch hubs on Flows and never had any problems with them. Felt like making these a bit lighter though so splashed out. Personally I'd say it's worth it, but you're getting a great wheelset either way.

Reed003.jpg
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I've been running my SS wheels since the end of Feb - Switch Evo hubs on Alex Supra 30s.

In that time I have done several thousand miles of hard AM riding, hard enough to destroy 2 shock bushes and a set of kevlar pads on the front, plus take a chain to the point I need to think about replacing.

The wheels are running fast, tight and round, despite some heavy hits, bearings are still good too. I just serviced the freehub this weekend as it had gone a little bit quiet. All good now.

Front bearings might want swapping out soon - luckily my mate works for a bearing supplier so I am thinking some top dollar FAG German stainless loveliness instead.

:D
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    You're on track for about 10k miles of off road riding in a year? Cripes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm guessing the 'several thousand miles' was an exaggeration.....I'd be very surprised to only get through one set of brake pads in a couple of hundred miles, let alone 'several' thousand.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    how noisey are the Trizoid hubs?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm guessing the 'several thousand miles' was an exaggeration.....I'd be very surprised to only get through one set of brake pads in a couple of hundred miles, let alone 'several' thousand.

Yeah - What chain do you have? I want one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    booyaka wrote:
    how noisey are the Trizoid hubs?

quite noisey, sounds a bit like a fishing reel.... I quite like it
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    cheers for that - no worse than hope hubs i'm guessing?

Just about to pull the trigger on these I think
    - Adaptor Included F - SWITCH HUBS QR Adaptor
    - Adaptor Included R - SWITCH HUBS QR Adaptor
    - Hub Type Front Switch EVO Front Hub - Red
    - Hub Type Rear Red Trizoid Superleggera XC Rear Hub
    - Nipples Brass
    - Rim Stans Arch EX Disc Black - Instock
    - Rimtape Included Free of Charge
    - Spokes Silver Plain Gauge SAPIM Spokes

£280

Was tempted by hope hubs but pushing it towards £340 then.
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    andyrm wrote:

Front bearings might want swapping out soon - luckily my mate works for a bearing supplier so I am thinking some top dollar FAG German stainless loveliness instead.

:D

Then hopefully your mate would advise you that those to dollar FAG units are actually made in the same factory as the originals!
  • andyrm
    benpinnick wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Yeah - What chain do you have? I want one.

Nope - average of 140-150k per week (Standard week is 3 early morning rides @ 21-25k dependent which route I do, plus big rides Sat and Sunday), some weeks more if I go away for the weekend or squeeze in some evening blasts too. Since end of Feb that equals (including a few away trips for long weekends) just over the 2.5k mark on the odometer.

In terms of chain life and bearing life - I'm an absolute stickler for maintenance and cleaning. I run a Clarks 10 speed PTFE coated chain, GT85 on dry use and Rocol chain & drive on wet use, left to soak in a jar of IPA before fully rinsing and relubing after every ride.

Brake pads wise - I weigh 11 stone, run 203mm rotors front and rear and Kevlar pads. Means less overall brake use and I tend to not use the brakes much anyway. On my old Edison I did one pad change in 6 months.

I'd say that nearly all issues people have with consumable parts like chains, bearings etc etc comes down to maintenance cycle and how much care they take of the bike.
  • bails87
    andyrm: Fair play, and that's good about the bearings. I replaced the front bearings in my On One wheelset after ~500miles (done over a year, rather than the 5 minutes it would take you! :wink:) I've got SS hubs on my commuter, which does about 80+miles a week, they've probably done 1000miles in all weathers and are still spinning perfectly.

Is 2.5k in kilometres or miles?
    MTB/CX

• andyrm
    bails87 wrote:
    andyrm: Fair play, and that's good about the bearings. I replaced the front bearings in my On One wheelset after ~500miles (done over a year, rather than the 5 minutes it would take you! :wink:) I've got SS hubs on my commuter, which does about 80+miles a week, they've probably done 1000miles in all weathers and are still spinning perfectly.

Is 2.5k in kilometres or miles?

Kilometres not miles - jeez, I'm not Mark Weir!!!! :lol:
  • bails87
    Oh, so only 1600 miles, how lazy :roll:

:lol:
    MTB/CX