hope pro2 or superstar ?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all been thinking off buying a set off wheels. I'm unsure as weather to go for Merlin hope hubs mavic 717 rims for £310. Or superstar switch EVO with stans crest rims for £220.
I am tempted just to go with the hope Merlin build even though this is more expensive because I'm worried about build quality etc with the superstar set.
Thoughts please

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Superstars Switch EVO hubs are simply cheaper hubs - hence the price difference. Pro 2s are nicer. Superstar trizoid hubs are a more comparable hub. I'm not sure what the build quality of superstar wheelsets is like tbh, but merlin have a reasonably good rep.

I have some hope pro 2s. Satisfied customer.
    I also have some novatec hubs (which are the big manufacturer behind superstar). Also satisfied customer.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Why not go for Hope Hoops with Crests? They can be had cheaper than a Merlin build.

On the Superstar thing: I have a set of Switch Evos on Stan's Flow. The hubs are ok, though the bearings in the front needed to be replaced pretty quickly. I've also noticed some wear on the inside edge of the freehub (between the ratchets), which could lead to problems, but replacements are cheap. That's after a year or so of use, ~2000km. The general build was a little underwhelming. Spoke-tension was ridiculously loose on the rear. I retensioned it after just a couple of rides. I had to redo the front after another month or so. I am not alone in experiencing this either. Superstar always seem to turn up on threads where this is mentioned and say, "Just return them for a free once-over." That's nice in principle, but it's a pain for something that shouldn't really have happened in the first place.

That said, if you feel comfortable with retruing your wheels, I still think their builds are pretty good value in terms of parts.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    go with crest's every time over xc717's, as I said in another post, they are lighter, wider and easily used tubeless, for once its a real no brainer, especially on hopes factory wheels, where the price is the same. crests without doubt, personally prefer my pro2's over my superstars, although i haven't had that long on the superstar hubs, but overtime i would imagine the pro2's will last longer.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    717 are stiffer and tougher mind - but on the builds mentioned above, not worth it, I'd take the weight savings for an XC ride, and also the Superstar hubs.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    717 are stiffer and tougher mind - but on the builds mentioned above, not worth it, I'd take the weight savings for an XC ride, and also the Superstar hubs.

haven't noticed any difference what so ever tbh, if anything the crests feel stiffer than the 717's, and toughness wise there is little between the two, but having said that, since moving to the crests I have been doing bigger and faster stuff with seemingly no effect on them so far, the 717's were treated well in comparison!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Id go for the Crests on Pro2s from Noahsark, which are only marginally more than the Merlins, slightly lighter than the Superstars (by about 5g ;) ) but should be great wheels.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    If going to splash that much I'd get these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=497

Lighter wheelset than Hopes, and better hubs too IMHO (far, far better engagement)
  • benpinnick
    I'd avoid CX rays, but that's my personal dislike for truing them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic wrote:

May i ask why?.
    I have 717 rims at the moment built by Merlin and these have been great, i am only about 11 stone full kitted out though so not to hard on wheels, would like something a bit lighter than i have at the moment but with good reliability and that wont need re tensioning every week.
  • Thanks for all your comments and i will take them all on board before shelling out the dollar for new wheels!.
    Oh forgot to mention i am a tart and would like red hubs!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have red hubs and the bike is definitely faster, just need to fit the red chainring bolts and I will be flying.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:

May i ask why?.
    I have 717 rims at the moment built by Merlin and these have been great, i am only about 11 stone full kitted out though so not to hard on wheels, would like something a bit lighter than i have at the moment but with good reliability and that wont need re tensioning every week.

The Superstar wheels are amazing value, no more than that - if you are reasonably light on wheels thew Crest will serve you well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for superstar switch evo hubs rather than pro2's. I have got both & the superstar hubs actually seem to be more reliable & have more pick ups.
    Superstar builds are solid. I bought EX721's on switch evo hubs and after four DH races, several freeride & downhill sessions & a couple uplift days on Triscombes wheel destroying trails (all with a fat bloke on board) and they are still within 0.5mm of true. Best wheels I have owned.
  • Hello if you are having an issue with your wheels then return them to us for service - we want to help you!!!

Just use parcels to go - £6 to return in the orgiinal box and we will true and return to you free of charge. Normally its same day turnaround on truing. Send back monday, you will have them back in time for the weekend.

Ive never heard of an issue with the engagement ring, the edge of the tooth is radiused to keep noise down. But if its worn i would replace it for free (its the first ive ever seen!)

Any questions please let me know, Neil (superstar)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would go for superstar switch evo hubs rather than pro2's. I have got both & the superstar hubs actually seem to be more reliable & have more pick ups.

I've got both the Switch Evo and Pro II Evo hubs and they have exactly the same number of engagement points (24). I personally prefer the Hope as I don't need to pull the it apart all the time to lube the freehub mechanism whereas I am forever having to pull the Superstar apart as it sticks.
  • stubs wrote:
    I have red hubs and the bike is definitely faster, just need to fit the red chainring bolts and I will be flying.
    Show me your red chain ring bolts you tart! :lol: .
    As for the red go faster hubs i hope this is true, i need all the help i can get!
  • Hello if you are having an issue with your wheels then return them to us for service - we want to help you!!!

Just use parcels to go - £6 to return in the orgiinal box and we will true and return to you free of charge. Normally its same day turnaround on truing. Send back monday, you will have them back in time for the weekend.

Ive never heard of an issue with the engagement ring, the edge of the tooth is radiused to keep noise down. But if its worn i would replace it for free (its the first ive ever seen!)

Any questions please let me know, Neil (superstar)

I like the fact you have come on here to say this and it seems like good customer service but with other builds i have had they have been good out the box and not needed re tensioning.
    I have been reading and reading on the internet about your wheels and lots of good and not so good comments, but to be fair its the same with hope hubs etc.
    I still have not decided where to get my new wheels from yet and if it is from yourselfs it will be my first order with your company even though every time i shop on line i look at your site (pads, discs etc), and think one day i will try them, but do i want to "try" with a £200/300 pair off wheels im not sure yet :roll: .
  • My last set of wheels was a Superstar build. Swich Evo hubs with Flow rims. They were flawless for the entire time I had them, needed no re-tensioning or truing or anything. I had to replace the bearings in the rear, but that was after around 1,000 miles in very wet, sandy mud.

I liked them so much, I just ordered another set for the new bike.

This time I went for Trizoid hub on the rear, with Arch EX rims, CX Ray spokes and alloy nipples. They are incredibly light, look very nice, the hubs seem to be of an even higher quality than the Switch Evos (engagement is certainly faster) and they make a very satisfyling "buzz". Most importantly though, they *seem* very well put together.

Furthermore, I had some questions before ordering, Neil responded to my emails very quickly and was most helpful.

Neil, if you read this, the only suggestion I'd make is to have an option to have the rims already taped up (ready for tubeless). For no reason other than fitting the 25mm yellow tape to my 24mm Arch EXs last night was a massive PITA and I'd have gladly paid you guys to do it for me ;)
  • benpinnick
    Would have Been easier if you used the 21mm tape ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    My last set of wheels was a Superstar build. Swich Evo hubs with Flow rims. They were flawless for the entire time I had them, needed no re-tensioning or truing or anything. I had to replace the bearings in the rear, but that was after around 1,000 miles in very wet, sandy mud.

I liked them so much, I just ordered another set for the new bike.

This time I went for Trizoid hub on the rear, with Arch EX rims, CX Ray spokes and alloy nipples. They are incredibly light, look very nice, the hubs seem to be of an even higher quality than the Switch Evos (engagement is certainly faster) and they make a very satisfyling "buzz". Most importantly though, they *seem* very well put together.

Furthermore, I had some questions before ordering, Neil responded to my emails very quickly and was most helpful.

Neil, if you read this, the only suggestion I'd make is to have an option to have the rims already taped up (ready for tubeless). For no reason other than fitting the 25mm yellow tape to my 24mm Arch EXs last night was a massive PITA and I'd have gladly paid you guys to do it for me ;)

Smashed my SS wheels over some very rocky dales tracks today hitting 36mph and even getting some air time (Well airmilliseconds). Got the back wheel trapped in a wicked gap between 2 rocks a real wheel killer for lightweight rims but all the damage was a ding in the anodising, then did a clumsy sideways landing and no creaking. Loving the Trizoid Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but cant sneak up on anyone now.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I was edging towards the hope build but with all this positive feedback of the superstar builds I'm not so sure. Which hubs would you go for on crest rims? Switch evo or the tri### one sorry cannot remember how to spell it!
  • What wheel build do you have stubs?
  • I was edging towards the hope build but with all this positive feedback of the superstar builds I'm not so sure. Which hubs would you go for on crest rims? Switch evo or the tri### one sorry cannot remember how to spell it!

Going on first impressions alone (I've not had chance to test them out properly yet) I'd say the Trizoids are worth the extra £60 on the Switch Evos.
  • I love my superstars! Had the spoke tension checked once after a few DH sessions (had nothing to report), but they really do take a beating!
    I'm not light at 101kg, and neither is my bike, but they've held up to everything I can throw at them so far!

Running a set of handbuilts - Switch hubs on Superstar DH-595 rims with DB spokes. All for under £200. You really can't go wrong.

I think the trizoids are ever so slightly heavier than the switch hubs, but have a quicker engagement.
    I haven't found myself needing anything quicker, and the Switch engagement is the same as hope pro 2's.
  • I think the trizoids are ever so slightly heavier than the switch hubs, but have a quicker engagement.
    I haven't found myself needing anything quicker, and the Switch engagement is the same as hope pro 2's.

Trizoids are 6g heavier according to the SS webby ;)

(FWIW, the Switch Evo hub is the same weight as a pro 2)
  • I think the trizoids are ever so slightly heavier than the switch hubs, but have a quicker engagement.

Trizoids are 6g heavier according to the SS webby ;)

(FWIW, the Switch Evo hub is the same weight as a pro 2)

I did check, but couldn't be arsed with the maths :lol:

I'm not sure why anyone would go Hope anymore... apart from to say 'i've got hope hubs'. Its like fox forks!
  • I'm not sure why anyone would go Hope anymore... apart from to say 'i've got hope hubs'. Its like fox forks!

QFT!
  • stubs
    What wheel build do you have stubs?

Mavic XM 719 rims, Red Switch EVO front hub, Red Trizoid 135mm x 12mm rear hub fitted with a 10mm axle conversion kit, Red Sapim aluminium nipples and Sapim double butted black spokes. cost me £307 for the lot only managed 2 rides on them so far due to rib busting issues on the first ride and so far so good. XM 719 not the lightest or sexiest rim out there but they are tough as they come, I am a wheel breaker but never bust a 719 rim. Tougher than old boots and relatively cheap compared to Stans rims.
  • benpinnick
    That seems quite expensive - was that from SS? I have silver Hope pro II evos, ZTR 355 rims, DT revolution spokes and brass nipples - cost me £310 all in. I probably could have saved £30 with Supperleggeras, or quite alot with the switch evos (would have bought the build down to £217).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Yes, the Trizoid is more expensive that the Pro2 (£160 vs £115) but the Trizoid is not really comparable to the Hope. I'd say the SS version of a ProII is the Switch Evo, which is significantly cheaper (£60).

If you were going to compare the Trizoid to another manufacturer it'd probably have to be (dare I even say this) Industry 9.

*Sits back and awaits flaming.*