hope pro2 or superstar ?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Oh, and put me down for a set of the first 60POE hubs (I will pay for them :) )- happy to test them out and report back to the board. Always interested in something new. FWIW I really like the industry nine hubs, as they are 2x60POE hubs that give great 3deg hook up and still 9 points of contact each time, which sounds like the ideal compromise. Any chance you're working on something similar?... just thought I would ask.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • they are 6 pawl with two teeth on each. offset 3x2 so you have 3 pawls or 6 teeth engaged at any one time.

Neil (superstar)
  • benpinnick
    WIN! Thats what we want.... So its effectively 3degree hookup? Yes please. Front and rear. have rims and spokes waiting!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • So if i was to go the superstar route i take it the best option would be to spend £300 and get the crests with the cx rays etc.
    Only problem with this is they are black hubs but from what i can work out would cost me a lot more in the custom wheel builder section to do same build with red hubs :oops: .
    EDIT £80 just to spec the red hubs :roll: .

I NEED A BETTER JOB!!!!!!!
  • It's not £80 just to spec red hubs though is it. You're getting £80 OFF if you choose to go with a "regular" colour they have pre-built.
  • benpinnick
    TBH, not wanting to do Superstar out of the business, but I think you'd be better off waiting for the new hubs by the sound of it. Other than having EZO vs SKF bearings (if you can tell the difference in real life usage I will be very surprised) it sounds like £310 will get you a better (dare I say it before I have even seen it but on paper it sounds pretty much there) hub, with Crest rims and Sapim DBs (not as good as cxrays but good none the less) in red. They will weigh a bit more no doubt, but then you will pay 20% less.

Doubtless there will be a pre-built option that might save a few quid too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • It's not £80 just to spec red hubs though is it. You're getting £80 OFF if you choose to go with a "regular" colour they have pre-built.
    Yeah I know this just moaning really lol
  • benpinnick wrote:
    TBH, not wanting to do Superstar out of the business, but I think you'd be better off waiting for the new hubs by the sound of it. Other than having EZO vs SKF bearings (if you can tell the difference in real life usage I will be very surprised) it sounds like £310 will get you a better (dare I say it before I have even seen it but on paper it sounds pretty much there) hub, with Crest rims and Sapim DBs (not as good as cxrays but good none the less) in red. They will weigh a bit more no doubt, but then you will pay 20% less.

Doubtless there will be a pre-built option that might save a few quid too.
    And this is what I think I'm gonna do
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Crests have arrived today and are on the bike and ready to go. Lovely and light. My backs not great at the moment so not sure when I will get out. Would like to run the tubeless in the future. Any idea how much weight would be saved going tubeless? Like the idea of not getting ant more punctures.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • benpinnick
    Depends on the tubes, but around 300g is about average saving.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • widge34
    benpinnick wrote:

Is that per wheel or pair?

Have to say I don't fancy having to sort a puncture out in the middle of nowhere. I had a fair bit of trouble getting the Highrollers onto the Crest rims. Had to use hot soapy water and brut force.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Front wheel turned up today Stan's Arch EX, Switch EVO, DB spokes, Alloy nips. about 870g. Looks great, can't wait to take her for a spin :D

Now just waiting for the 9mm QR Axle (which I only ordered today) :|
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    benpinnick wrote:

300gis the weight of 2 average tubes,but you need to factor back in the weight of the latex which you will add,which is likely to be 50g+ per wheel.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    If you're thinking of running proper UST tyres, I've just lost a pound by swapping my LUST highrollers to non UST Rubber Queens. The tyres way so much more, that I can't see how anyone makes a weight saving. The LUSTs are pretty tough to get on and off too.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    benpinnick wrote:

300gis the weight of 2 average tubes,but you need to factor back in the weight of the latex which you will add,which is likely to be 50g+ per wheel.

and the weight of rim strips & valve
  • felix.london
    If you're thinking of running proper UST tyres, I've just lost a pound by swapping my LUST highrollers to non UST Rubber Queens. The tyres way so much more, that I can't see how anyone makes a weight saving. The LUSTs are pretty tough to get on and off too.

Nice one - you answered my question before I asked it!

The non-UST Rubber Queen (BC) are 300g less per pair than the UST version. Got my Stans Arch EX through yesterday so thinking of going tubeless with BC Rubber Queens for this season 8)

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    You won't regret getting the BC RCs! I've had them in 2.4 guise for DH duties and the grip is fantastic. Can't wait to try the 2.2s on the Moment!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:

Id already factored those in. Standard Butyl tube for a 26 is about 190g, so allowing for the rim strip and valve saving should be around 150g per wheel before adding sealant.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    I got some info on the new hubs from SS. A Build on CX Rays with Brass nipples and Crest rims should weigh in at 1550 or so without QRs. Sounds good!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    benpinnick wrote:
    Id already factored those in. Standard Butyl tube for a 26 is about 190g, so allowing for the rim strip and valve saving should be around 150g per wheel before adding sealant.

So, about the weight of six mars bars in total = if I fit tubeless, I can carry more chocolate = win.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A lightish tube is 150g - and less can be had.

For big tyres more sealant is needed, and I have heard of people gaining weight in the end!
  • bluechair84
    I'm not sure I get this. My UST tyres weighed a whole pound (per pair) more than standard tyres. If you need a sealent as well, it'll be even heavier. I can't fathom how tubeless is lighter. Does the sealant 'seal' standard tyres and weigh less overall than USTs?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are various 'tubeless solutions'. UST tyres and rims do not require sealant. Tubeless ready tyres and rims do require it, or you can convert standard tyres and rims with various kits, but not all works.
  • The Spiderman
    benpinnick wrote:

If you are converting Stans Crest you only need the yellow tape,and a valve not the full rim strip as you do with the older Stans rims such as the 355s.Yellow tape will be roughly equivalent to the rim tape on a convetional set up.

So on a Crest you are comparing the weight of the yellow tape and sealant against the rim tape and tube of a conventional set up.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • The Spiderman
    I'm not sure I get this. My UST tyres weighed a whole pound (per pair) more than standard tyres. If you need a sealent as well, it'll be even heavier. I can't fathom how tubeless is lighter. Does the sealant 'seal' standard tyres and weigh less overall than USTs?

To give an example,If you take something like a Nobby Nic TL tubeless ready tyre its 475g v 690g for the full UST tubeless version so 215g per tyre.

If you used a Stans rim with yellow tape,with a TL Nobby Nic,you might use 50-60g of sealant.So thats 155-165g saving over the full UST tubeless specific version per end.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • bluechair84
    seems odd that a UST tyre, that is designed not to be porous and let air through would be heavier than trying to convert a non UST tyre... It's odd that the bodge job is better than the specifically designed component.
  • felix.london
    seems odd that a UST tyre, that is designed not to be porous and let air through would be heavier than trying to convert a non UST tyre... It's odd that the bodge job is better than the specifically designed component.

This. Pretty lame 'advance' in technology when like you say a bodge job can get better results

Trek Session 8
  • The Spiderman
    I think UST is considered old technology now.Most tyre manufacturers,eg:Bontrager,Schwalbe,Specialized,etc seem to have moved to the tubeless ready/Stans no tubes way of thinking.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    really glad i found this before buying my wheelset.

i'm looking at the Arch EX or Crest on Trizoid hubs, is there much difference?

having read the blurb on both it seems like the Arch EX are simply a bit wider (therefore slightly heavier and stiffer). i'm getting these for my XC hardtail, i quite like the idea of a tougher wheel even though i'm only 11st and not hammering it i do like to push what few descents there are in my area. this is my only ride and i want something that can handle fast rocky chalk descents prone to large flint chunks. or would the Crests be fine?

also is it worth £60 to upgrade from Race to CX Ray spokes?

(sorry for all the questions, but that's kind of the point of the post!)
  • widge34
    To be honest, for your weight and riding the crest will be fine. I'm 13 stone kitted out and ride some pretty knarly stuff and the crests are fine.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013