Volta a Catalunya 2012 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ... GT contenders should be able to ride harder.

Give Valverde a break, Frenchie ... He'll be disappointed enough that he let you down without you adding to the shame with your public chastising ... Last time you done that we didn't see him for two years ...
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    St 5 so far everyone together. A couple of small breaks have been brought back. 2 hours in and average speed of 43 kph.
  • peterst6906
    Meanwhile, aside from E3, st 5 just finished.

Bunch sprint. Albasini in 7th place after giving up during the final sprint. Maintains 1:32.

Stage won by Julian Simon, Uran second.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Frustrating stage. All the also rans seem to be riding to keep Albassini in. Quick Step's 3 man drive to the line had 'doomed to failure' written all over it.
  • Art Vandelay
    14 riders all on the same time in 2nd place - Peter Stetina is in there! Bit of a joke race this has turned out to be. Bonus seconds to be re-introduced for next year I would have thought.

Who knows what's going on with Brice Feillu? There were reports of him withdrawing but he's listed as finishing today in 13th.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    I dont know why the other riders in the peloton dont just let Albasini lead up the hills, just stop and force him to take the lead like a track race, make him do everything or at least for GreenEDGE to do his work.

As a GreenEDGE fan I hope this does not happen!

That being said I am quite excited that GreenEDGE could win another tour for this year. It has been a great year so far and I am over the moon that I have a national team to support
  • Art Vandelay
    Not even Sir Les Patterson would have put money on Greenedge winning a stage race other than the TdU. No need to hold your breathe, start counting those chooks.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    If this race has achieved nothing else, it should convince the UCI that they need to revisit their rules for splitting riders on the same time (with no TT).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    Not even Sir Les Patterson would have put money on Greenedge winning a stage race other than the TdU. No need to hold your breathe, start counting those chooks.
    I know, they have surpassed all expectations.

Give them 3 years and they will start having some real GC contenders
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Todays coverage delayed due to a 'broadcasting problem on site' at the finish? They're doing well, the host broadcasters, aren't they? Maybe the motorcycle cameramen read what we've been saying about them on here and decided to go on strike.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    delayed by an accident - a police motorbike hit a car when clearing the road (fail)
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Ok perhaps I was a bit quick to judge :) Race stopped due to a crash between car & police motorbike hence the delay. Now restarted and coverage live on Eurosport.
  • peterst6906
    St 6 won by Sanchez, picked up 2 seconds on Albasini.

Seems destined for a Greenedge win overall tomorrow.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I'm enjoying this race especially as all the prima donnas have bunked off and let everyone else have a go.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I wouldn't be so sure. With the sort of luck these race organisers are having, there's a distinct possibility of a tsunami, earthquake or an escaped dinosaur attack.
  • peterst6906
    Sanchez with a 44' break with 10 km to go.

Needs to push it out some more to take the win, but it looks like Greenedge are getting to the front of the peleton to make sure that doesn't happen.

Albasini still looking good to the GC.
  • peterst6906
    edited March 2012
    That was a quick chase. Pulled Sanchez back with 6 km to go and Sanchez still looks OK as well.

Several small attacks starting to come.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    any news on today's?
  • peterst6906
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    any news on today's?

Yep, 5 km to go at the moment. Pace picking up.

Group together at the moment but small attacks happening.

Will post the result in a few minutes.
  • peterst6906
    edited March 2012
    Stage won in a bunch sprint by Julian Simon (second stage win for him).

Looks like Uran second to him again.

Albasini in amongst the group in about 30th, but will take the GC.

EDIT: Correct the second placing. Doesn't look like Uran was 2nd. Perhaps 4th.
  • peterst6906
    Stage standings:

1. Julien Simon
    2. Francesco Gavazzi
    3. Damiano Cunego
    4. Rigoberto Uran
    5. Robert Kiserlovski
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Uran 4th ? and a 3 way time tie for 3rd overall?
  • peterst6906
    Final GC standings:

1. Michael Albasini
    2. Samuel Sanchez
    3. Jurgen Van Den Broek
    4. Dan Martin
    5. Rigoberto Uran
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Very pleased for Sanachez and Euskaltel, his win yesterday and second overall is going to be massive for the team with all of their financial troubles. Classy rider, always love watching him race.

Another big win for GreenEdge though, those guys are on fire! :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yes Samuuuuuu

Can't believe it took that long to split for a clear 2nd

Sanchez win:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxY53_PH ... r_embedded
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    These races are worse off for not having Contador, no doubt about it.

Just like Valverde he is training hard and will come back and win again in style. Last week he finished up a hard 220k training ride.

dwxPL0Q5695.jpg
    dwxPL0Q5856.jpg
    dwxPL0Q5822.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    What kit is he wearing?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's a free agent isn't he? Nobody will be keen to be associated with him at the moment but once his ban is nearly at an end he'll get snapped up quickly, the deal has probably already been done behind closed doors. My guess would be Movistar but that's based on no logic other than they are a mostly Spanish team and aren't fussy about signing unrepentent dopers. I know he said he'd give Riis first option but I wonder whether Saxo Bank would really be keen to pay him big bucks, are they even going to be a World Tour team next year?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    He's a free agent isn't he? Nobody will be keen to be associated with him at the moment but once his ban is nearly at an end he'll get snapped up quickly, the deal has probably already been done behind closed doors. My guess would be Movistar but that's based on no logic other than they are a mostly Spanish team and aren't fussy about signing unrepentent dopers. I know he said he'd give Riis first option but I wonder whether Saxo Bank would really be keen to pay him big bucks, are they even going to be a World Tour team next year?

They could do with Contador's points from the Vuelta.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    They could do with Contador's points from the Vuelta.

That's if they count. There's a rule now that says that a convicted dopers points don't count towards WT licences for another two years. The status of this rule is a little hazy though.

Even, so Saxo will need more than a potential Vuelta win (Cobo couldn't save Geox) and September is to late to decide on a recruitment strategy.

If I was Riis, I wouldn't rehire him. And if I was Contador, I would be looking for a team which can guarantee WT status.
    Twitter: @RichN95