Photos from this woman's twitter account

http://twitter.com/#!/Laura_Meseguer
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    QS bus:
    http://twitpic.com/8zfs6d

Photos:
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=49085

Real shame GC times don't count and abandoned riders might count. Frankly it makes the results void going forward for me as these riders in the front put in massive effort yesterday:
    “That was the hardest day of my life,” Brajkovic told the Spanish wire service EFE. “From the second climb, it was a matter of just surviving. There was definitely very cold, with very bad weather. If we had done all the stage, there’s no way we could have finished.”

However, given the race was announced as shortened after the riders had set out and poor radio info, you could maybe give them the benefit of the doubt that the peloton would have caught them had it been the full distance.

RadioShack-Nissan sport director José Azevedo said he’s never seen anything like it and expressed his exasperation with how the peloton handled an early-race pileup.

“What a chaotic day. When they came on race radio and told us where the finish would be, it was too late to catch the breakaway. It’s not really fair,” Azevedo said on the team’s website.

“What’s happening with cycling?” he continued. “After only 5km of racing there was a massive crash. Jakob (Fuglsang) was part of the crash. Normally the peloton would wait for everyone to get back on their bikes. Not anymore. There was no waiting. It’s a war out there every day and there is no solidarity. It’s unbelievable.”

Julian Dean crashed into a parked car I think and broke his leg maybe.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    As Inner Ring said, it's March and they are staying in Ski resorts at 2000m altitude...how are they surprised?

It all seems a bit farcical, this race has been going downhill recently anyway and there is the well discussed financial problems. Sadly I think we are going to lose one of our oldest stage races next year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    As Inner Ring said, it's March and they are staying in Ski resorts at 2000m altitude...how are they surprised?

Agreed. It's not for nothing the big races get progressively higher as the year goes on.

Flat classics in march-early April - hilly classics April - May Giro.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Julian Dean crashed into a parked car I think and broke his leg maybe.

He was trying to avoid a crash in front and slid straight into the Car - very serious break, going to need metal plates, 3-6 months off the bike, season ender I think, and at 36yo, possibly a career ender. Only just back from a fractured shoulder, poor sod.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

Looks like Wiggins was affected by the big crash. Might have hastened his decision to abandon.
  • frenchfighter

Looks like Wiggins was affected by the big crash. Might have hastened his decision to abandon.

Basso went down as well, again. Should spend more time near the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    The first thing I thought when I read about this stage was this:

Andy%2BHampsten%2Bposter.jpg

I know the two circumstances are not comparable though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Basso has yet to finish a race in 2012.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Nasty crash for Julian Dean, guess that is game over for him. One of the sports great unnapreicated worker bees.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    “The roads were wet, we were going at about 40kph and there was a bend,” Basso told Gazzetta dello Sport. “A rider hit a car at the side of the road, bounced off it and made six or seven fall, myself included.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Jeannesson (FDJ), Kritskiy (Katusha) and Zaugg (RadioShack) attack at km1 but dont get a gap. Rosendo (Andalucía), Julian Sanchez (Caja Rural) and Zingle (Cofidis) go and are trying to open up a gap..

Weather not great but about 12 degrees.

133 riders start. 136 finished yesterday so those DNF are not riding.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    In the current financial climate this year's edition has been a spectacular fail. TV coverage has been pretty none existent, nice shots of trees excepted; okay they can't help the weather but to anull the results. c'mon makes a mockery of those riders who were ale to battle to the finish yesterday. If they don't start today (as is looking likely) then as a race sponsor I know what I'd be doing.
  • frenchfighter
    4.25 latest difference. A couple of fallers, one taken to hospital.

Av speed for first two hours...38.7km/h
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    any links to web feeds please?
  • frenchfighter
    Mad Roadie wrote:

http://www.steephill.tv/volta-a-catalunya/#live
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Mad Roadie wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12843356

Check it out.

No more excuses people!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mad Roadie wrote:

Check it out.

No more excuses people!
    Steephill?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:

Check it out.

No more excuses people!
    Steephill?

Meh, I've found it lists the same links as cyclingfans.

Do people think I need to add it?
  • Mad Roadie
    they are not live on steephill yet - can subscribe to Eurosport here - it is blocked:(
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    they are not live on steephill yet - can subscribe to Eurosport here - it is blocked:(

Doesn't start anywhere until 3pm.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @RickChasey *shrugs* Dunno. I've found in the past that some of the links are different. When I get bad streams from cyclingfans I look over on steephill.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    @RickChasey *shrugs* Dunno. I've found in the past that some of the links are different. When I get bad streams from cyclingfans I look over on steephill.

Done.
  • Mad Roadie
    2:30 to the 3 leaders - including ZINGLE !
  • Mad Roadie
    Lampre leading the chase down - the gap is tumbling
  • Mad Roadie
    Green Edge look pretty strong, they wont let this one get away surely?
    They work well together - a really impressive start to a season for a new team
  • Mad Roadie
    30 seconds the gap as Levi Leipheimer pushes to try and split the chasers.
    Omega look so strong in this race, and indeed the early season races
  • rick_chasey
    Erm - hearing on twitter that Levi has stuck his nose in the wind - can anyone confirm?!?! :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    50km out apparently.

Caught anyway. Uran out front solo. 7 secs.
    Contador is the Greatest