What are you currently reading?

Comments

• phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    The Great Gatsby. Really enjoying it but suspect I've missed some (most?) of the symbolism!

"Agent Zig Zag" is next in the queue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    The Great Gatsby. Really enjoying it but suspect I've missed some (most?) of the symbolism!

My Girlfriend's favourite book, and she reads an awful lot.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Surface Detail - Iain M Banks
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Interesting so far :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Currently reading "Last Argument of Kings" by Joe Abercrombie. It's the third book in a trilogy, "The First Law" (the others being "The Blade Itself" and "Before They are Hanged"). It's a great read, and I really like his style. The characters are compelling, and the writing is nice and grisly at times. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The High Window, by Raymond Candler. I should say re- reading it, as I have read all his stuff many times. He is the classic hard-boiled dangling cigarette, rainy night in LA crime writer. Love it.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Just back from a day's meeting in Abu Dhabi, so lots of reading time there and back; picked up "The Time Travellers Wife" at the airport, as I couldn't find anything else of interest. I've read it before but still enjoy reading it and have almost finished it.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson. It's a big one though and I've been on it a while!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Song of Achilles

Spoiles

I'm not big on books that win awards but I picked this up as I was drawn to it. Also, very few people know that my passion for comics is only equalled by my interest in most things ancient including empires, mythologies and Pantheons prior to Christianity. So any person that dares to tell a story that skirts the Illiad, which to me is like every comic ever written only multiplied by a bazgillion gallons of awesomeness is a brave one. These stories were perfect the first time they were told.

I loved every page turning moment of this. But more bizarrely, despite knowing how it was going to end, I found myself tearfully upset when the book did end. I also can never read this book again. So good was it the first time that if I read it a second time it won't be as good, and I don't want to do it a disservice. It is just that good.

Written from the perspective of Patroclus, Achilles's close friend and arguably deus ex machina within the Illiad, the story explores the supposed love between the two as they grow from prepubescent boys to adults. At the time of purchase I did not know that the book was partially about gay love. A third of the way in it doesn't matter. They say that the ancient Greeks had no word for homosexuals and that it was not frowned upon for a Man to enjoy another Man. This book meets that ideology with an unparalleled class. Each intimate moment within the pages is a literary masterclass of prose. What is more special is that the book treats both hetro and homosexual exchanges equally - though with closer thought I think all the hetro sex scenes are either forced through social expectations or simply forced (rape), which give emphasis to the loving moments between the star-crossed Patroclus and Achilles.

What the book also does is paint Achilles in a new gloss. Achilles is someone I have often struggled with in mythological terms. On paper he could take Captain America in a fight. Captain America - as part of the great WW2 American properganda machine, is the greatest physical and mental example of what a human could be. Captain America doesn't get shot. So why was one arrow able to drop Achilles, and yes I've read the many iterations of this: t'was the poisoned arrow that ended Hercules, t'was Apollo, t'was ne'er his ankle and maybe all three. Regardless, given Odysseus' years at sea, Hercules' 12 labours, Perseus glare at the Kraken and the steak Theseus' must have had that night. I have always felt Achilles should have done more with what he had.

So what did Achilles have? This book touches on that, builds on it and paints it into something divine. Achilles is looked at from a perspective I have never bothered to care to looking from. I'm glad I did, there is a beauty to it, to him that I surpasses all the other demi-gods and god-favoured ancient greek heroes. Achilles is both victim and master of his destiny.

Aside from giving Patroclus a deeper meaning and value to the Achilles/Illiad mythos, addressing the taboos of gay love, Casting new light on who Achilles is and getting Odysseus right - [ yes he is in it too, along all the Illiad faithful - Ajax, Hector, Sarpedon, Diomedes, Thetis, Neoplotemus etc and their character portrayals are spot on with what we know ] - what else does this book do? Well aside from being one hell of a story, it actually gives one hell of a rendition of the Illiad, giving special attention to each specific moment.

In fact in one of the reviews inside the book it says that you can tell that the author has been building her career and spending the last 10years building up enough knowledge to write this book. Upon reading it I can honestly, 'yes that's true'.

I love this book, I cried at the end. Even though it has ended I could talk about it forever.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    C'mon DDD. We know you're reading 50 Shades of Grey!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    got a few things on the go at the moment:

Kestrel for a Knave - barry Hines
    Whirlwind - James Clavell
    Emperors dont die in bed - Fik Meijer
    W Fotheringham - merckx; half man half bike
    Disgusting Bliss - the brasseye of Chris Morris
    Whitsun weddings - Phillip Larkin
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene. It's quite conceptually challenging...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    1985 - but i coudlnt get into it so i just watched the film instead

i cant really see why everyone get so excited about though?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    C'mon DDD. We know you're reading 50 Shades of Grey!! ;)
    Why would I read that when I've got the following to unpick:
    'He was Spring, golden and bright. Envious some other life I could have refused, could have torn my hair and screamed, and made him face his choice alone. But not in this one. He would sail to Troy and I would follow, even into death. Yes, I whispered. Yes.'
    In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless, heavy dusk.
    Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out of the sun.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The Hunger Games trilogy.

I'm about a third of the way through The Mockingjay which is the last book of the trilogy and I have to say it is a good read.
    Not a particularly brilliant book (or series of books), but easy to read and unputdownable. I would recommend them.

I'm a bit gutted I missed it at the cinema. Might go to Leicester Square as that is the only place I can find still showing it and apparently the film doesn't butcher the book like the awful The Golden Compass did to the His Dark Materials trilogy.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Song of Achilles

Spoiles

I'm not big on books that win awards but I picked this up as I was drawn to it. Also, very few people know that my passion for comics is only equalled by my interest in most things ancient including empires, mythologies and Pantheons prior to Christianity. So any person that dares to tell a story that skirts the Illiad, which to me is like every comic ever written only multiplied by a bazgillion gallons of awesomeness is a brave one. These stories were perfect the first time they were told.

I loved every page turning moment of this. But more bizarrely, despite knowing how it was going to end, I found myself tearfully upset when the book did end. I also can never read this book again. So good was it the first time that if I read it a second time it won't be as good, and I don't want to do it a disservice. It is just that good.

Written from the perspective of Patroclus, Achilles's close friend and arguably deus ex machina within the Illiad, the story explores the supposed love between the two as they grow from prepubescent boys to adults. At the time of purchase I did not know that the book was partially about gay love. A third of the way in it doesn't matter. They say that the ancient Greeks had no word for homosexuals and that it was not frowned upon for a Man to enjoy another Man. This book meets that ideology with an unparalleled class. Each intimate moment within the pages is a literary masterclass of prose. What is more special is that the book treats both hetro and homosexual exchanges equally - though with closer thought I think all the hetro sex scenes are either forced through social expectations or simply forced (rape), which give emphasis to the loving moments between the star-crossed Patroclus and Achilles.

What the book also does is paint Achilles in a new gloss. Achilles is someone I have often struggled with in mythological terms. On paper he could take Captain America in a fight. Captain America - as part of the great WW2 American properganda machine, is the greatest physical and mental example of what a human could be. Captain America doesn't get shot. So why was one arrow able to drop Achilles, and yes I've read the many iterations of this: t'was the poisoned arrow that ended Hercules, t'was Apollo, t'was ne'er his ankle and maybe all three. Regardless, given Odysseus' years at sea, Hercules' 12 labours, Perseus glare at the Kraken and the steak Theseus' must have had that night. I have always felt Achilles should have done more with what he had.

So what did Achilles have? This book touches on that, builds on it and paints it into something divine. Achilles is looked at from a perspective I have never bothered to care to looking from. I'm glad I did, there is a beauty to it, to him that I surpasses all the other demi-gods and god-favoured ancient greek heroes. Achilles is both victim and master of his destiny.

Aside from giving Patroclus a deeper meaning and value to the Achilles/Illiad mythos, addressing the taboos of gay love, Casting new light on who Achilles is and getting Odysseus right - [ yes he is in it too, along all the Illiad faithful - Ajax, Hector, Sarpedon, Diomedes, Thetis, Neoplotemus etc and their character portrayals are spot on with what we know ] - what else does this book do? Well aside from being one hell of a story, it actually gives one hell of a rendition of the Illiad, giving special attention to each specific moment.

In fact in one of the reviews inside the book it says that you can tell that the author has been building her career and spending the last 10years building up enough knowledge to write this book. Upon reading it I can honestly, 'yes that's true'.

I love this book, I cried at the end. Even though it has ended I could talk about it forever.

I always thought that was kind of the point with Achilles - he had all the talent, but failed to achieve due to a rather high opinion of himself and a tendency to throw a hissy fit - the moral being that even with superhuman talents, you still have to put in some effort in life.

Also, you'd have to have all the characters from the Illiad in the story - it wouldn't do to f*** about with Homer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    mudcow007 wrote:
    1985 - but i coudlnt get into it so i just watched the film instead

i cant really see why everyone get so excited about though?

Do you mean Orwell's 1984? Its the only book I ever re-read. Absolutely fantastic book. Give it another go.
    If you mean something else, ignore me.

• DonDaddyD
    edited July 2012
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Song of Achilles

I always thought that was kind of the point with Achilles - he had all the talent, but failed to achieve due to a rather high opinion of himself and a tendency to throw a hissy fit - the moral being that even with superhuman talents, you still have to put in some effort in life.

Also, you'd have to have all the characters from the Illiad in the story - it wouldn't do to f*** about with Homer.
    Dude the Illiad is epic and long. Most seem to skirt over it, isn't 20 or so books in length?

To be accurate this includes snipets of the Cypria, Illiad, Aethiopis - included a little reference to Neoptolemus's (I would have thought that was an Egyption name) death.

The book is about Patroclus and the love shared between him and Achilles. Its not telling the story of the Trojan War, but it does pay great homage to it.

You should read it.

ETA: I never really thought there was any moral to the story of Achilles, he was destined to kill Hector and after that would die due to the machinations of the Gods. There always seemed to be a grey area as to how great he really was. Sadly there is often no higher purpose to these Greek Heroes beyond their feats and then they die through some unceremonious means (Hercules for me was probably the saddest).

But then to be regarded as the best you have to go out on top while at your peak and not wither away. Achilles did that, he spent what 10years of his prime fighting in the biggest war of his generation killing the best warriors of that time.

Still this book takes the given image of Achilles and does something else with it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Song of Achilles

Spoiles

Dude the Illiad is epic and long. Most seem to skirt over it, isn't 20 or so books in length?

To be accurate this includes snipets of the Cypria, Illiad, Aethiopis - included a little reference to Neoptolemus's (I would have thought that was an Egyption name) death.

The book is about Patroclus and the love shared between him and Achilles. Its not telling the story of the Trojan War, but it does pay great homage to it.

You should read it.

I probably should, although with my current levels of sleep deprivation, I prefer things with pictures at the moment. Neoptolemus => Neo = New; Ptolemaios = 'warlike'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemy_(name)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Technically, yes. More like chapters, though.

To paraphrase Wrath of Khan:

Khan: The Iliad is not so long as we were led to believe
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Simon Scarrow's - Prateorian. Its book 11(ish) of a roman series following the exploits of 2 Roman soldiers. 1 older, 1 younger. very pleasing and easy read. not difficult to follow. think the Bernard Cornwell Sharpe books but based in Rome (Empire)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    I probably should, although with my current levels of sleep deprivation, I prefer things with pictures at the moment. Neoptolemus => Neo = New; Ptolemaios = 'warlike'

Thanks!

I'm just happy that at a glance I was able to see the Egyption link in the name.... now I'm going to read about the historic links between Egpyt and Ancient Greece...
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Thanks!

I'm just happy that at a glance I was able to see the Egyption link in the name.... now I'm going to read about the historic links between Egpyt and Ancient Greece...
    Egyptian

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Thanks!

Egyptian

=/= to someone who comes from the mysterious land that is spoken of as "Egg-pit".
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Thanks!

Egyptian
    627272d1334635343-need-some-help-diggers-show-gun_barrel_05_lg.jpg
    I hate pedants.
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Thanks!

Egyptian
    627272d1334635343-need-some-help-diggers-show-gun_barrel_05_lg.jpg
    I hate pedants.
    Sort you're speeling out, than!

• Ah, back from holiday - read Dave Gorman Vs the Rest of the World followed by the Grapes of Wrath. Both very good, in very different ways, both with quite odd endings.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Game of Thrones, love it.
  • notsoblue wrote:

Yea - I wish he'd hurry up and finish the next one!
  • notsoblue wrote:

Currently going through the DVDs, probably should have read the books. Good, though.