What are you currently reading?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
S'been a while that there's been a thread like this.

Curious to know what books you guys like to read when you're not cycling.

I've noticed my commute has significantly reduced the amount I read since I no longer have 70 minutes each day to sit and read on the tube.

So, not the best book you've read, or the best cycling book, but the book you're currently halfway through reading.

I'll start:

Almost finished One Day I Will Write About This Place: A Memoir by Binyavanga Wainaina.

About to start some Flemish book my mum bought, but can't remember the name. Some gritty novel.

Before that it was 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism by Ha-Joon Chang. Qu'elle surprise.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    A Life Without Limits by Chrissy Wellington. Very open and honest

Oh, it's 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism, so I'm guessing inflation is one of them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    edited March 2012
    The death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell.

Before that has just finished re-reading The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro.

Last fictional book I read was Margret Atwood - Oryx and Crake and then The Year of the Flood.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies - a history of the less well-known kingdoms and states of Europe.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Asprilla wrote:
    A Life Without Limits by Chrissy Wellington. Very open and honest

Oh, it's 23 things they don't tell you about capitalism, so I'm guessing inflation is one of them.

Quite right!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    This thread :wink:

IGMC
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies - a history of the less well-known kingdoms and states of Europe.

Norman Davies - he wrote that enormous book "Europe - a history" didn't he?
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Just finished No Way Down by Graham Bowery - very disappointing. Before that I read of Heart of Darkness - superb.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes. This one'e no slim volume either - quite tricky to read in bed without dropping it on my face.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes. This one'e no slim volume either - quite tricky to read in bed without dropping it on my face.

Yeah. First history module at Uni I did was called Europe - from antiquity to modernity, and his book was the backbone for quite a bit of it (though we spent most of our time slagging it off).

Didn't enjoy lugging that up the hills of Sheffield.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Foundation and Earth - Asimov

I'm more than slightly embarrassed I've not read this before. God, he's a good writer.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    Jeepie wrote:
    of Heart of Darkness - superb.

Is good eh?

Did you watch apocalypes now just after??
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    edited March 2012
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Before that has just finished re-reading The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro.

Great book. John Foot's book 'Calcio' on Italian football is very good too. I'd imagine his history of Italian cycling is pretty good too, but I've not read it yet.

I'm currently reading The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. Very easy to read and nicely put together.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The Beano
    "How to win friends & Influence People"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Currently reading Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Irredeemable Vol 8 by Mark Waid.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Rick Chasey wrote:
    Is good eh?

Yeah. Much better than I thought it would be and really remarkably similar to the Apocalypse Now films which I absolutely love. I've been meaning to read it for ages, but like Hamlet just haven't got round to it. There is some very primitive language and characterisation of Africans which may offend. It was written 1899 and oddly given the aforementioned is regarded as anti-slavery novel by some.
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    Currently reading Religion for Atheists by Alain de Botton

Heard a lot of good things about that book.
  • rick_chasey
    Jeepie wrote:
    Rick Chasey wrote:
    Is good eh?

Yeah. Much better than I thought it would be and really remarkably similar to the Apocalypse Now films which I absolutely love. I've been meaning to read it for ages, but like Hamlet just haven't got round to it. There is some very primitive language and characterisation of Africans which may offend. It was written 1899 and oddly given the aforementioned is regarded as anti-slavery novel by some.

It's the same story!

It's also very short and very dense.

I wrote an essay about it for my Uni finals.

You might like this: (it's short, honest!) by the chap who wrote the book I'm reading:

http://www.granta.com/Archive/92/How-to ... ica/Page-1
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Last of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Would highly receommend.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah. First history module at Uni I did was called Europe - from antiquity to modernity, and his book was the backbone for quite a bit of it (though we spent most of our time slagging it off).

This was bought for me by my archaeologist brother. It's very readable for what could be a very dry subject, but the intricacies of medieval hereditary titles are pretty difficult to follow. There are something like 13 different definitions of Burgundy, which each refer to a different state or group of territories. England is pretty unusual in having geographical boundaries that have remained so static for so long.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Last of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy.

Would highly receommend.

They're ultra-graphic who-dunnits right?

Couldn't move on the tube without seeing someone buried in a dragon tattoo book last summer.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

This was bought for me by my archaeologist brother. It's very readable for what could be a very dry subject, but the intricacies of medieval hereditary titles are pretty difficult to follow. There are something like 13 different definitions of Burgundy, which each refer to a different state or group of territories. England is pretty unusual in having geographical boundaries that have remained so static for so long.

It's not that well written - it assumes the reader has a pretty solid knowledge of old-skool European history and it does dart all over the place.

For me, it's more of a reference book than one I'd read cover-to-cover. Pick the bit that takes your fancy, and go for it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

It's not that well written - it assumes the reader has a pretty solid knowledge of old-skool European history and it does dart all over the place.

For me, it's more of a reference book than one I'd read cover-to-cover. Pick the bit that takes your fancy, and go for it.

Are you still talking about his other book? I don't get that impression from this one.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Just finished

Cherry-Garrard, Apsley (1922). The Worst Journey in the World.

absolutely awesome.

I Don't know what to read next.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    London Under by Peter Ackroyd. Making me want to do some urban exploration.....
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Are you still talking about his other book? I don't get that impression from this one.

The Europe book, yeah.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Been a while since I've read much modern SciFi - found a lot of it to be a bit same-y and too many authors trying too hard to be William Gibson, so been catching up on the classics of various genres: Mark Twain, HG Wells, Alexandre Dumas, etc. - but first impressions (I'm about 20% of the way through) is good, if you like near-future, dystopian fiction.
  • rjsterry
    Gussio wrote:
    London Under by Peter Ackroyd. Making me want to do some urban exploration.....

I read Hawksmoor a while back. I really struggled to get much out of it
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Just finished 'You've Gone Too Far This TIme Sir' - Danny Bent. (Excellent)

Just started 'Can't Sim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man To Ironman - Andy Holgate (Very good so far)