Bruuns weight loss thread.

BruunLoss
BruunLoss Posts: 103
Ok guys, well week one is over and I lost 5.4lbs. Not a bad start considering I didn't cycle as much as I used to due to the extra pounds and weather but I hope to improve or double that this week. I've now set goals after spending two days thinking hard what I want out of this and generally for the foreseeable future.

I also want to say a BIG THANK YOU to the members of the Bike Radar community who have added me to their Twitter feed to keep track and motivate me more, this inspires me quite a lot guys, so it's really appreciated.

To keep the motivation up more, I have added extra pages to my photography website to include bike photos, route maps and a biking blog. For anyone interested I you can find the details below. Anyhow, a big thank you to everyone here again for support and inspiration and thanks for all the feedback.

http://www.renebruun.com
Video Diary http://www.youtube.com/user/bruunloss
Twitter @Bruunloss

Comments

• islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Keep it up :)
  • Islwyn wrote:
    Keep it up :)

Thanks, will do. Just getting ready to go out on another ride.
  • You're doing really well - keep going at it.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Awesome weigh in mate. Keep it up!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Over 5lb in one week? WTF?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My Body is a Temple... A Temple of Doom
    heehee this is so apt for me as well.
  • Herbsman wrote:

I know it's not much Herbsman, but its my first time cycling in over 6 months and I am a very big guy. I'll get there eventually. This is my first time cycling for exercise rather then just a commuter run.
  • Well done!!
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Thanks AlphaCharlie
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,872
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

I know it's not much Herbsman, but its my first time cycling in over 6 months and I am a very big guy. I'll get there eventually. This is my first time cycling for exercise rather then just a commuter run.

On the contrary, I think he means it's a huge amount! Well done but don't overdo it - give the skin time to come down with your weight.

I'm currently trying to lose 2 stone so a minor effort compared to you (lost 7lb in 3 weeks, hoping it will be up to around 10lb in 4 weeks when I weigh tomorrow). I've always found it hard work when trying in the past but I'm actually enjoying it this time. Hopefully the same applies to you and it is easier when the weight is dropping off! Just stick with it if you have a bad week or two and good luck.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    You do need to take time and rest as well, you'll be surprised how much resting actually helps you lose weight! I know it sounds crazy but it does, you visually notice it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I don't want to knock your loss but it seems a tad much in such a short space of time. The generic ideal weightloss is around the 2lb a week mark but you may find that if such loss is sustainable for a few weeks it will plateau until you either, change diet again (which you need to do carefully) or indeed take a day or two off and let your body chill.

It is often said that rapid weightloss tends to lead to vengeful rebound but you are active and sensible in your approach. Don't be afraid to eat more if you feel the need,a little can go a long way.
  • Thanks for the advice and tips guys. I thought Herbsman was implying it was a small amount as I only cycled about 50-60 miles to achieve it. I was reading somewhere people losing 10 lbs a week and thought, shit, if that's the case I could reach my goal in 2 months instead of 7!

I think I can sustain 6lbs for the first 3-4 weeks. I used to cycle 100 miles a week to work when I had a job and lost 45lbs in 6 months while eating crap,bdrinking 3 cans of coke a day, take aways and beer! And the weight stayed off till I stopped cycling. Now I am eating healthy, cut out take aways, and virtually no beer. Last night I cycled 21.5 miles and today 13.5. If I can do 13.5 a day I'll be happy with that. I rest Saturday and Sundays, or if I'm really tired, skip a day, I will obey the body signs.

Again, thank you all for the support and feel free to check the video diary on you tube. I doubt I can be an inspiration to you seasoned cyclists but if anyone wants to ask my diet or about will power or anything like that, feel free.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Great stuff mate. Currently trying to get motivated to lose 2 stone I put on following an accident. This has helped immensely!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sorry to hear about the accident, had my share of them...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Thanks for the advice and tips guys. I thought Herbsman was implying it was a small amount as I only cycled about 50-60 miles to achieve it. I was reading somewhere people losing 10 lbs a week and thought, shoot, if that's the case I could reach my goal in 2 months instead of 7!

I think I can sustain 6lbs for the first 3-4 weeks. I used to cycle 100 miles a week to work when I had a job and lost 45lbs in 6 months while eating crap,bdrinking 3 cans of coke a day, take aways and beer! And the weight stayed off till I stopped cycling. Now I am eating healthy, cut out take aways, and virtually no beer. Last night I cycled 21.5 miles and today 13.5. If I can do 13.5 a day I'll be happy with that. I rest Saturday and Sundays, or if I'm really tired, skip a day, I will obey the body signs.

Again, thank you all for the support and feel free to check the video diary on you tube. I doubt I can be an inspiration to you seasoned cyclists but if anyone wants to ask my diet or about will power or anything like that, feel free.
    Don't forget,as your weight drops so will your caloric needs for the day. I can't recall if this was mentioned before or not so here goes.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... weight.php

I would stick to a sensible deficit,perhaps 10-15% and see how that goes. Don't take this the wrong way but you're a big lad,you have to fuel to cycle + carry excess. Your loss may slow,but in the end that is probably a good thing. I lost my bulk far too quickly and have much excess skin covered in stretch marks

ps:this is not an exact science,the formula is generic as it doesn't count for muscle which eats calories,you may find that you need to eat slightly more or less than the calculated figures.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Keep it up mate, I will keep chipping in when I can (@DerryboyGreene) :D
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Haha no that's loads of weight. I can't actually believe it...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • BruunLoss wrote:
    Thanks for the advice and tips guys. I thought Herbsman was implying it was a small amount as I only cycled about 50-60 miles to achieve it. I was reading somewhere people losing 10 lbs a week and thought, shoot, if that's the case I could reach my goal in 2 months instead of 7!

Don't forget,as your weight drops so will your caloric needs for the day. I can't recall if this was mentioned before or not so here goes.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... weight.php

I would stick to a sensible deficit,perhaps 10-15% and see how that goes. Don't take this the wrong way but you're a big lad,you have to fuel to cycle + carry excess. Your loss may slow,but in the end that is probably a good thing. I lost my bulk far too quickly and have much excess skin covered in stretch marks

ps:this is not an exact science,the formula is generic as it doesn't count for muscle which eats calories,you may find that you need to eat slightly more or less than the calculated figures.

Don't worry, not taking it the wrong way... All advice and tips are greatly appreciated and read. I'm not the only person to try this challenge so I want to learn from others. However this is the first time I committed myself to my health and regaining a better and healthier body. As I joked with someone the other day 'My body is a Temple.... Yeah, a Temple of f*%king doom!' LOL. Well it's a work in progress now for the better.
  • Herbsman wrote:
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Haha no that's loads of weight. I can't actually believe it...

I have to admit, when I first read it, I thought you meant it's not much... When I joined here, I feel like a complete noob in amongst a professional cycling community, so I assumed you guys were losing an average of 10lbs a week as I know most people from reading posts can cycle 50 miles + a day...

I have a new found respect for road cyclists knowing they cover such distances.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,872
    Also, have a look here if you want some inspiration (if you haven't already seen it). The guy who rites the bolg is / was a poster on this forum (GB155) http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

I think you are over estimating the fitness and ability of many of us on here. It has taken me 2 years to finally get myself sorted to make a real attempt to lose the 2 stone of the 3.5 I put on in 12 years away from cycling (the other 1.5 is unrealistic as I was always too skinny before). I've finally come to the conclusion that I didn't have the will power to do it by diet alone and so I've seriously increased my exercise levels instead and after 4 weeks I am really feeling the benefits.
  • Pross wrote:
    Also, have a look here if you want some inspiration (if you haven't already seen it). The guy who rites the bolg is / was a poster on this forum (GB155) http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

I think you are over estimating the fitness and ability of many of us on here. It has taken me 2 years to finally get myself sorted to make a real attempt to lose the 2 stone of the 3.5 I put on in 12 years away from cycling (the other 1.5 is unrealistic as I was always too skinny before). I've finally come to the conclusion that I didn't have the will power to do it by diet alone and so I've seriously increased my exercise levels instead and after 4 weeks I am really feeling the benefits.

Seen it already, I was well impressed, I showed my friends the photos too and it helped motivate them. (as well as me). I think another thing that motivates me is having suffered from a severe anxiety disorder the past 4 years this March, this is helping me beat it slowly but surely... The loss of quality of life from it is horrendous. I can't go in cars, buses, trains, planes etc... Confined crowded places, meeting new people, city centres... For me, cycling to lose weight and help get me out more is my last chance to get a normal life back again.
  • Before I go any further, I just want to thank everyone from Bike Radar themselves, to the wonderful people in this forum who are following me on Twitter, giving me tips and inspiration, and mostly motivation, because although I had no problem letting myself down in the past, you guys believe in me and that's a serious motivation tool right there.

So last week I was 297.4 pounds, and lost 5.2 pounds from cycling and cutting out junk food and beer and soft drinks. This week I have already cycled more miles in 3 days then I did all of last week. I'm eating better but sometimes I crave the old comfort food but luckily had the will power to overcome the feeling. This morning even though unemployed with the option to sleep in on this cold and windy morning (37kmph winds), I woke at 5.50am and cycled 12.38 miles.

I also set up a new website, because this is how serious I am about achieving this goal, called www.theweightchallenge.org. It's more of a 'landing page' with my weekly weight loss, cool shot of my bike and all social media links on the one page, so if not on Twitter for example, you can see my Twitter feed, or watch my You Tube video diaries.

Finally, I uploaded a new video this morning www.youtube.com/user/bruunloss, if you have a you tube channel, please subscribe and I'll do likewise. I'm doing the challenge with 2 friends so we have some friendly competition each week at the weigh in. €5 each into a cup, the one losing the most each month gets €55 (added bonus)

Well that's all for now, and thanks for taking time to read this.
  • It's great to hear that you are getting into cycling, but why did you get up at 5:50am in the cold and dark to ride, when you could go out at midday!?
  • suzyb
    BruunLoss wrote:
    Finally, I uploaded a new video this morning http://www.youtube.com/user/bruunloss, if you have a you tube channel, please subscribe and I'll do likewise. I'm doing the challenge with 2 friends so we have some friendly competition each week at the weigh in. €5 each into a cup, the one losing the most each month gets €55 (added bonus)
    That's a good idea imho, good way to keep motivated.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    It's great to hear that you are getting into cycling, but why did you get up at 5:50am in the cold and dark to ride, when you could go out at midday!?

There is an explanation on the YT video.
  • Well I usually wake at 4am and rather then sit around all day, I made a commitment to go at 6.30 this morning. Also for health reasons with my anxiety, it's easier for me.
  • if you're looking for some healthier treats then have a look at paleo recipies on the internet. One example is paleo pancakes, uses eggs with ground almonds rather than flour. I eat them with mashed banana and Meridian peanut butter which is just ground peanuts - no added anything such as salt/sugar etc.

http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.as ... etails=146

Also take a look into nakd bars - they do a chocolate orange flavour which is just ground nuts and dates with a but of cocoa. Feels like you're eating a chocolate bar but far healthier.

http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/

Good luck with your goals :)
  • suzyb
    One of your five-a-day
    A great chocolatey taste
    Surely such a thing is not possible. Tasting like chocolate but being one of your five a day...tis either witchcraft or a lie :wink:
  • Thanks Andy and LOL with Suzy.

Had a bit of a set back yesterday, (Wednesday) Started taking Thermobol, over the counter in health stores following reviews in Men's Health. Read all the small print on the website, no mention about possible effects for people with high blood pressure. Had serious palpitations all afternoon and into the evening due to the high caffeine content. Very sore on the heart and left me light headed. BP was 194/125, eventually rang my doctor and took a Xanax for my anxiety disorder to calm my heart rate along with a few cold showers. Think I'll stick to 1 a day 1 hour before cycling and not 3 a day!

But apart from that, alls going well, looking forward to Satursday weigh-in.