Mates rates; services you can offer other forumites

124»

Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    SmellTheGlove German to English translation of engineering and technical specs, reports etc, but have also tackled websites, books and similar less heavyweight material.
    whitebait01 Jazz function band, bass guitar/upright bass player for hire (live/studio).

EDUCATION
    PBo Private tuition in science - secondary school inc. A level, but I've also done booster work with Y6 girl before she started secondary. North London area.
    Bompington jack of all trades, can help with physically restraining 15yos having toddler tantrums, highly experienced in getting spat at, sworn at and kicked, impervious to the sound of doors slamming or personal insults, can fix up networks with duct tape and trial & error, bears user incompetence and idiocy to a nearly infinite level while letting comments to the tune of "your ********** computer's broken" waft right past him, also does some teaching when the opportunity occasionally arises.
    See also creative - after over 20 years of practice can now play the intro to Money for Nothing almost properly

FINANCIAL
    noodles71 I can price pretty much any financial instrument and find out detailed data for most (after 30 mins to keep to the rules). I'd get a serious butt kicking though if it were not just for personal use. Anything IT infrastructure related too I can help, from laptops to server clusters and associated network bits.

Mr Ribble - I will happily take all of your mortgages, and pool them into a highly complex and completely non-transparent security called an MBS. I will then split it into tranches, depending on what percentage return I think I can blag in the marketing handouts. I will then bribe a rating agency to asses the asset to be AAA rated, even though all of you are heavily in debt and actually had to buy your house with a 110% interest only mortgage because you have spent so much on bikes. Investors will come flocking non the less, because I am also AAA rated and way to big to fail and "its what everyone else is doing". But alas, the investment turns sours because your all repossessed and the Sovereign wealth investors loose their money but they don't care because they can just print more money by digging another hole in the oil field. I will then take a massive bailout from you, the taxpayer, the government will engage in a massive program of fiscal and monetary policy change and quietly as possible, I will pay myself a £1 million pound bonus. :)

GENERAL
    SimonAH Woodwork and cabinet making; design and build small items of bespoke furniture.
    SimonAH Welding (MIG) and general engineering.
    Veronese68. Happy to help with general tinkering if I can. Car, bicycle or motorcycle.
    Gussio Bike maintenance workspace in Richmond - happy for others to use if they are space-constrained
    ddraver Reservoir characterisation and exploration. Analysis, descriptions and geological interpretations of core and wireline logs, RCA data, petrographic and advanced diagenetic analysis data. Studies may cover single or multi well datasets.
    Pangolin Own and can use a sewing machine.

IT
    Mudcow007 I'm an IT nerd an I like things with wires in gimmie a shout if you need anything, i can hook you up
    Jay dubbleU Now retired but 20 years experience in GIS (Geographical Information Systems)
    OptimisticBiker - also in IT but background in electronics, so I do prototyping of electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell
    cyclingprop IT infrastructure Architecture, Datacentre design, Infrastructure governance and technical delivery management. IT project management. Process analysis and redesign. Drinking lots of coffee and diet coke.

LEGAL
    Asprilla - Can provide watertight alibis at short notice.

LEISURE
    mrc1 - Le Domestique Tours - Cycling tours in the Alps and Pyrenees and UK team race days.
    Greg66 - Condo rental in Whistler. Skiing & stuff in winter (duh!) and MTB'g/road biking/golf/walking/general R&R stuff in summer.
    RickChasey Coxing (for any of you rowers out there).

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL
    Veronese68 Parts for Triumph, MG, Mini and MX5, oh and Moggy Minor.

THERAPY
    cyclingprop A healthy dose of MTFU, cynicism or sarcasm. You choose which.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    SmellTheGlove German to English translation of engineering and technical specs, reports etc, but have also tackled websites, books and similar less heavyweight material.
    whitebait01 Jazz function band, bass guitar/upright bass player for hire (live/studio).

EDUCATION
    PBo Private tuition in science - secondary school inc. A level, but I've also done booster work with Y6 girl before she started secondary. North London area.
    Bompington jack of all trades, can help with physically restraining 15yos having toddler tantrums, highly experienced in getting spat at, sworn at and kicked, impervious to the sound of doors slamming or personal insults, can fix up networks with duct tape and trial & error, bears user incompetence and idiocy to a nearly infinite level while letting comments to the tune of "your ********** computer's broken" waft right past him, also does some teaching when the opportunity occasionally arises.
    See also creative - after over 20 years of practice can now play the intro to Money for Nothing almost properly

FINANCIAL
    noodles71 I can price pretty much any financial instrument and find out detailed data for most (after 30 mins to keep to the rules). I'd get a serious butt kicking though if it were not just for personal use. Anything IT infrastructure related too I can help, from laptops to server clusters and associated network bits.

Mr Ribble - General financial advice / investments etc. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

GENERAL
    SimonAH Woodwork and cabinet making; design and build small items of bespoke furniture.
    Veronese68. Happy to help with general tinkering if I can. Car, bicycle or motorcycle.
    Gussio Bike maintenance workspace in Richmond - happy for others to use if they are space-constrained
    ddraver Reservoir characterisation and exploration. Analysis, descriptions and geological interpretations of core and wireline logs, RCA data, petrographic and advanced diagenetic analysis data. Studies may cover single or multi well datasets.

IT
    Mudcow007 I'm an IT nerd an I like things with wires in gimmie a shout if you need anything, i can hook you up
    Jay dubbleU Now retired but 20 years experience in GIS (Geographical Information Systems)
    OptimisticBiker - also in IT but background in electronics, so I do prototyping of electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell
    cyclingprop IT infrastructure Architecture, Datacentre design, Infrastructure governance and technical delivery management. IT project management. Process analysis and redesign. Drinking lots of coffee and diet coke.

LEGAL
    Asprilla - Can provide watertight alibis at short notice.

LEISURE
    mrc1 - Le Domestique Tours - Cycling tours in the Alps and Pyrenees and UK team race days.
    Greg66 - Condo rental in Whistler. Skiing & stuff in winter (duh!) and MTB'g/road biking/golf/walking/general R&R stuff in summer.

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL

THERAPY
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Didn't someone own up to having an on-line sex shop on here once? That one's not on mates rates yet.

Not that I'm interested or anything. :|
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Fixed it up, cos some people just don't understand "use the last one" :roll:

CREATIVE

EDUCATION

FINANCIAL

Mr Ribble - General financial advice / investments etc. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

GENERAL

IT & TECHNOLOGY
    OptimisticBiker eCommerce and distributed systems architect/consultant. Background in electronics & mech eng, so privately I also write bespoke software and prototype electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell :wink:
    Asprilla I can ask stakeholders what they want and then go and tell developers what to build.

LEGAL

LEISURE

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL

THERAPY
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If you want shark's teeth on your chainsets, sprockets and jockey wheels, worn brake tracks, knackered hubs that make it sound like your running a rear disc wheel, chewed freehub bodies and a bike that looks as if it's been ridden through a muddy field all day long, all in no time at all after purchase, I'm your man.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Fixed it up, cos some people just don't understand "use the last one" :roll:

CREATIVE

EDUCATION

FINANCIAL

GENERAL

IT & TECHNOLOGY
    OptimisticBiker eCommerce and distributed systems architect/consultant. Background in electronics & mech eng, so privately I also write bespoke software and prototype electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell :wink:
    Asprilla I can ask stakeholders what they want and then go and tell developers what to build.
    initialised Any PC hardware issue and I can help you fix it. I can also help you get the best PC possible for your money.

LEGAL

LEISURE

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL

THERAPY
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    mrc1 wrote:
    Really good idea - quite a few forumites have already booked with us and we will do the best prices possible for fellow commuters. We will soon be in need of some help with video production/editing so if you have the skills get in touch and we can do a swap!

I'm seriously thinking about doing one of your Tours!

Currently seeing how it fits in calendar wise.

Do it, do it, do it.

Give me a shout if you need any further info/once you have thought through dates.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    mroli wrote:
    Mate - your link doesn't seem to be working... I'm getting an error message for http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk...?
    Works for me.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    mroli wrote:
    Mate - your link doesn't seem to be working... I'm getting an error message for http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk...?

There are three dots on the end of your link try http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    That was an error in typing out Sketchley. Weird that no-one else is having a problem - I was using the link in the sig and can't get on now (at work) or at home.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yes, I clicked the link in the sig to check it. I'm on ie9 here and it's ok.
  • sketchley
    It was / is very slow on firefox....
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    hhmmm Works with IE but CLoud Flare error on Firefox.
    --
    Chris

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Sketchley wrote:

works reet on FF 10.0.1
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

works reet on FF 10.0.1

Just upgraded from 9 to 10 and yes it now works.
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    Got a "Website Offline, no cache available" message on Safari. This also when I searched through google, then clicked on the results.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Hi guys - I've just seen this. Have passed on to our web guy to sort it.

For those that have clicked on it once and not had it work you may have to clear your browser cache before trying again - that should make it work.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ok Business Analysts, how do you deal with being brought in late to a BI project that is clearly going down the wrong track because the executive sponsor isn't technical but thinks he is and has miscommunicated fundamental requirements? I mean, without wasting lots of money or getting fired?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    notsoblue wrote:
    Ok Business Analysts, how do you deal with being brought in late to a BI project that is clearly going down the wrong track because the executive sponsor isn't technical but thinks he is and has miscommunicated fundamental requirements? I mean, without wasting lots of money or getting fired?

Let it burn.

I never fire fight; as soon as you do then putting all your energy into one thing means that everything else starts to fail. After that then honestly is the best policy. I'd tell people that they are going down the wrong tack, that it's going to cost them money and what they have to do to get back on track.

Even if they don't act upon your recommendation you will always get the opportunity to point at it and say 'I told you so'.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX