Mates rates; services you can offer other forumites

Comments

• CREATIVE
    SmellTheGlove German to English translation of engineering and technical specs, reports etc, but have also tackled websites, books and similar less heavyweight material.
    whitebait01 Jazz function band, bass guitar/upright bass player for hire (live/studio).

EDUCATION
    PBo Private tuition in science - secondary school inc. A level, but I've also done booster work with Y6 girl before she started secondary. North London area.
    Bompington jack of all trades, can help with physically restraining 15yos having toddler tantrums, highly experienced in getting spat at, sworn at and kicked, impervious to the sound of doors slamming or personal insults, can fix up networks with duct tape and trial & error, bears user incompetence and idiocy to a nearly infinite level while letting comments to the tune of "your ********** computer's broken" waft right past him, also does some teaching when the opportunity occasionally arises.
    See also creative - after over 20 years of practice can now play the intro to Money for Nothing almost properly

FINANCIAL

GENERAL
    SimonAH Woodwork and cabinet making; design and build small items of bespoke furniture.
    SimonAH Welding (MIG) and general engineering.
    Veronese68. Happy to help with general tinkering if I can. Car, bicycle or motorcycle.
    Gussio Bike maintenance workspace in Richmond - happy for others to use if they are space-constrained
    ddraver Reservoir characterisation and exploration. Analysis, descriptions and geological interpretations of core and wireline logs, RCA data, petrographic and advanced diagenetic analysis data. Studies may cover single or multi well datasets.
    Pangolin Own and can use a sewing machine.

IT & TECHNOLOGY
    Mudcow007 I'm an IT nerd an I like things with wires in gimmie a shout if you need anything, i can hook you up
    Jay dubbleU Now retired but 20 years experience in GIS (Geographical Information Systems)
    OptimisticBiker eCommerce and distributed systems architect/consultant. Background in electronics & mech eng, so privately I also write bespoke software and prototype electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell :wink:
    cyclingprop IT infrastructure Architecture, Datacentre design, Infrastructure governance and technical delivery management. IT project management. Process analysis and redesign. Drinking lots of coffee and diet coke.

LEGAL
    Asprilla - Can provide watertight alibis at short notice.

LEISURE
    mrc1 - Le Domestique Tours - Cycling tours in the Alps and Pyrenees and UK team race days.
    Greg66 - Condo rental in Whistler. Skiing & stuff in winter (duh!) and MTB'g/road biking/golf/walking/general R&R stuff in summer.
    RickChasey Coxing (for any of you rowers out there).

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL
    Veronese68 Parts for Triumph, MG, Mini and MX5, oh and Moggy Minor.

THERAPY
    cyclingprop A healthy dose of MTFU, cynicism or sarcasm. You choose which.[/quote]
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Well if we are taking it seriously....

CREATIVE
    SmellTheGlove German to English translation of engineering and technical specs, reports etc, but have also tackled websites, books and similar less heavyweight material.
    whitebait01 Jazz function band, bass guitar/upright bass player for hire (live/studio).

EDUCATION
    PBo Private tuition in science - secondary school inc. A level, but I've also done booster work with Y6 girl before she started secondary. North London area.
    Bompington jack of all trades, can help with physically restraining 15yos having toddler tantrums, highly experienced in getting spat at, sworn at and kicked, impervious to the sound of doors slamming or personal insults, can fix up networks with duct tape and trial & error, bears user incompetence and idiocy to a nearly infinite level while letting comments to the tune of "your ********** computer's broken" waft right past him, also does some teaching when the opportunity occasionally arises.
    See also creative - after over 20 years of practice can now play the intro to Money for Nothing almost properly

FINANCIAL

GENERAL
    SimonAH Woodwork and cabinet making; design and build small items of bespoke furniture.
    Veronese68. Happy to help with general tinkering if I can. Car, bicycle or motorcycle.
    Gussio Bike maintenance workspace in Richmond - happy for others to use if they are space-constrained
    ddraver Reservoir characterisation and exploration. Analysis, descriptions and geological interpretations of core and wireline logs, RCA data, petrographic and advanced diagenetic analysis data. Studies may cover single or multi well datasets.

IT & TECHNOLOGY
    Mudcow007 I'm an IT nerd an I like things with wires in gimmie a shout if you need anything, i can hook you up
    Jay dubbleU Now retired but 20 years experience in GIS (Geographical Information Systems)
    OptimisticBiker eCommerce and distributed systems architect/consultant. Background in electronics & mech eng, so privately I also write bespoke software and prototype electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell :wink:
    cyclingprop IT infrastructure Architecture, Datacentre design, Infrastructure governance and technical delivery management. IT project management. Process analysis and redesign. Drinking lots of coffee and diet coke.
    Asprilla I can ask stakeholders what they want and then go and tell developers what to build.

LEGAL

LEISURE
    mrc1 - Le Domestique Tours - Cycling tours in the Alps and Pyrenees and UK team race days.
    Greg66 - Condo rental in Whistler. Skiing & stuff in winter (duh!) and MTB'g/road biking/golf/walking/general R&R stuff in summer.

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL

THERAPY
    cyclingprop A healthy dose of MTFU, cynicism or sarcasm. You choose which.[/quote][/quote]
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Heh - no-one will admit to being a lawyer.
  • clarkey cat
    or a recruitment agent!
  • Hardly a surprise, though is it. You need mates to offer mate's rates. :twisted:
  • asprilla
    Heh - no-one will admit to being a lawyer.

I think it's fact the title includes 'mate's rates' and you are all worried about suggesting some kind of discount.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    I have mates! I just call them something different: 'clients'

I also have best mates...

I call them: 'potential clients'

:)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Lawyers and recreuitment consultants are both fecking useless to the general public. If I had a skill, I'd be doing that instead...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Are we listing things we could do that might conceivably be of use to each other, or just our professions?

If it's the latter I need to change sewing to Business Analyst, but I suspect none of you want mates rates for that.

@ SimonAH - Do you have your own workshop or do you use some other space somewhere for woodwork? I looked into getting back into this having not done any since A level DT, but couldn't find any evening type courses nearby to do it. Any ideas?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hi Pangolin,

I have my own workshop behind my house, haven't got any advice for you I'm afraid, although there are co-ops out there.

The intention was for folk to list things that they can do for others on the forum. For some this will be the same as their profession, for others not. For example in the real world I sell high tech coating equipment and materials - not listing that as fairly unlikely any of you are in the process of overhauling a jet engine....then again who knows?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • clarkey cat
    In that case... I have no skills outside of the (questionable) ones I use at work.

London restaurant recommendations maybe...?
  • asprilla
    pangolin wrote:
    If it's the latter I need to change sewing to Business Analyst, but I suspect none of you want mates rates for that.

I've already listed that: Asking stakeholders what they want and then walking over to the devs to repeat what they said.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    classic lack of self-awareness from a BA there Asprilla.

think you meant:

"walking over to the devs to repeat what I thinkthey said."
  • asprilla

think you meant:

I'm a product owner now, so I ask the devs to write what I think is right and then tell the client it's what they need.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    I like product owners. They are usually the only people in the business who know what is going on.

Other than the lawyers that is.
  • Asprilla wrote:

think you meant:

I'm a product owner now, so I ask the devs to write what I think is right and then tell the client it's what they need.
    Do you do that in an Agile way :) ?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Asprilla wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

I've already listed that: Asking stakeholders what they want and then walking over to the devs to repeat what they said.

Hehe, yeah that's kind of my point though Asprilla. No-one on the forum is going to need us to do that at a reduced rate are they? Well maybe, but it's quite unlikely.
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hi Pangolin,

I have my own workshop behind my house, haven't got any advice for you I'm afraid, although there are co-ops out there.

The intention was for folk to list things that they can do for others on the forum. For some this will be the same as their profession, for others not. For example in the real world I sell high tech coating equipment and materials - not listing that as fairly unlikely any of you are in the process of overhauling a jet engine....then again who knows?

Thought about giving lessons? :wink:
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

think you meant:

If you mean do I avoid writing anything down, then yes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    Oh, double post!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

think you meant:

:lol: strange, thats what my BAs seem to do too :lol:
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

think you meant:

:lol: strange, thats what my BAs seem to do too :lol:

TBH, I rock at specification by example; I write my acceptance criteria in Gherkin and am big fan of breaking it down to the unit test level before any development even starts. It means the complexity of any task should be 1 when estimating because you've broken it down in to a small enough test to code against.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    Remind me not to invite you guys for a dinner party, I'm sure the banter would be riveting :P

I may be calling the kettle black here
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    rjsterry wrote:
    Remind me not to invite you guys for a dinner party, I'm sure the banter would be riveting :P

They probably wouldn't want to come because you'd eat all the food. Assuming I recall correctly from another thread, apologies if not
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

They probably wouldn't want to come because you'd eat all the food. Assuming I recall correctly from another thread, apologies if not

Yeah, RJS, you bloater ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    notsoblue wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, RJS, you bloater ;)

<munch, munch> Pardon?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    bloat-ah
  • asprilla
    rjsterry wrote:

Work stays at work (I was at work when writing this). If you ask my wife what I do for a living she'd tell you I do 'stuff in IT for media companies'.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    My wife thinks I make lewd comments and talk sh1t for a living. But then she did work here so she knows as well as anyone.
  • clarkey cat
    My wife thinks Im working late tonight.
  • SmellTheGlove German to English translation of engineering and technical specs, reports etc, but have also tackled websites, books and similar less heavyweight material.

EDUCATION

FINANCIAL
    noodles71 I can price pretty much any financial instrument and find out detailed data for most (after 30 mins to keep to the rules). I'd get a serious butt kicking though if it were not just for personal use. Anything IT infrastructure related too I can help, from laptops to server clusters and associated network bits.

GENERAL

IT
    OptimisticBiker - also in IT but background in electronics, so I do prototyping of electronic/mechatronic thingummybobs for people that have good ideas but no idea how to design/engineer them.
    itboffin - guess what? well 25 years in all areas of IT/Internet/SaaS and now e-commerce architecture (1 in every 50 transactions) - the stories i could but wont tell

LEGAL
    Asprilla - Can provide watertight alibis at short notice.

LEISURE

RECRUITMENT

RETAIL

THERAPY
    cyclingprop A healthy dose of MTFU, cynicism or sarcasm. You choose which.