decision in Armstrong Case and Dennis's Skiiing trip to Vail

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dg74 wrote:
    Y'know what - big deal!

It's over, let's just ride our bikes and get on with it.

Any suggestions for those who don't ride bikes? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    dg74 wrote:
    Y'know what - big deal!

Buy a bike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dg74 wrote:
    Y'know what - big deal!

Buy a bike.

I don't see how having another unused bike in the garage will help :lol:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    iainf72 wrote:
    dg74 wrote:
    Y'know what - big deal!

Have another drink
  • Retro is an interesting angle. Whether they would go back after someone but USADA does mean that, "US Anti-Dopiing Agency."

Carl Lewis? Never touched though he was part of those tests I believe that were within the USOC (US Olympic Committee) and not released to the public.

Roger Clemens the pitcher? Yes, was he still playing? Probably so but it was for past deeds, for perjury. Unsure of the particulars.
  • Couldn't have said it better myself. "...life's too short". As I was skiing down one of the longer runs in Vail, did my thoughts turn to Lance? Hell no, I was thinking that if I bumped up the tempo a bit I might make it down before the 4 o'clock cutoff on the gondola and get in one more run. And as I recall, I did. Couple of Stellas all around with my buddies and that's a day.

So someone is forcing you to be here? Hell yes? I mean this is a discussion forum after all.

I petition bikeradar to change the name of this thread to "decision in Armstrong Case and Dennis's Skiiing trip to Vail, followed up by some Stella Artoises."

... happy to help... :wink:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    dg74 wrote:
    Y'know what - big deal!

Buy a bike.

I don't see how having another unused bike in the garage will help :lol:

Buy a turbo? They are great for stopping unused bikes from falling over.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Tusher wrote:
    Yup, it's not called The Asylum for nothing. And tonight's news won't have changed anyone's opinion either way, although in the greater scheme of things, I still think it's healthier that a lot of dirty laundry has been aired.

Still, life's too short. I was on a girl's night out (translation, a crowd of middle aged women drinking slightly too much and trying to talk to each other over some guy with a guitar murdering Springsteen in a packed hot hotel lounge bar whilst discussing herbal remedies for hot flushes and texting our husbands to come and collect us) when I saw the text from The Comic. I instantly showed it round my girl friends who are now very tolerant of my cycling obsession. A couple of years ago, they were incredulous that Lance could have doped. Tonight, oddly, their first reaction was 'so he's got off with it then'. Not one of them could name how many Tours he won.

Then we ordered another round of drinks.

I've been lurking at the Asylum, I have had heated discussions about LA with family and friends, I've thought about LA and his antics way too much -- yet, I think Tusher's (and her comrades) response is totally appropriate and correct.

Whatever...
  • iainf72
  • iainf72 wrote:
    At lease Lemond will have to back to being just another face in the crowd of 'guys who won stuff a while ago' ... He was hoping he could be king of the castle again, guess not Greg ... Bet that'll cut intomhis appearance money ...

Not sure what LeMond has to do with anything. The investigation was kicked off by what they found while digging through Rock Racing's case.

I think RichN95 sort of has it on the money. The only difference is guys like Basso and Ullrich have been shamed somewhat.

Lemond always seems to have a comment to make about anyone who might take the limelight off him ... OK, Landis shafted him but still, what was good old Greg doing getting involved in the first place ...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The Armstrong case had its genesis in doping allegations. But because sports doping is not in and of itself a federal crime, the case would have been built around fraud, conspiracy and other charges related to the violation of his team's contract with the U.S. Postal Service, which specifically prohibited doping.

from the Espn link.

So, to be clear the case was discontinued and we're yet to find out why, and even if he had been found not guilty of a federal offence (if the case had continued) it would only show he didn't commit a federal offence, not that he didn't dope.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    At lease Lemond will have to back to being just another face in the crowd of 'guys who won stuff a while ago' ... He was hoping he could be king of the castle again, guess not Greg ... Bet that'll cut intomhis appearance money ...

Not sure what LeMond has to do with anything. The investigation was kicked off by what they found while digging through Rock Racing's case.

I think RichN95 sort of has it on the money. The only difference is guys like Basso and Ullrich have been shamed somewhat.

Lemond always seems to have a comment to make about anyone who might take the limelight off him ... OK, Landis shafted him but still, what was good old Greg doing getting involved in the first place ...

I don't know, had his business ruined by Armstrong? Being asked by the Feds to testify?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    so basically all we know at the moment is that LA didn't dope with federal money.

Would be nice to actually here some public comments from the feds about this but I guess that is the point of the grand jury.

it is funny on the asylum, all the amateur lawyers stating all the charges he will deal with, how long he will spend in jail and now it's just gone away.

Surely USADA can deal with this with no money at all. They can review all the data from the feds and then if it states LA is guilty of doping charge him for it. No real costs there
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    sherer wrote:
    so basically all we know at the moment is that LA didn't dope with federal money.

No

All we know is that this investigation was closed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    sherer wrote:

No

+1 ...the investigation has told us nothing (unless details come out of anything they found along the way)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mfin wrote:
    sherer wrote:

No

+1 ...the investigation has told us nothing (unless details come out of anything they found along the way)

I'm sort of the opinion that Grand Jury testimony is secret but after looking on a few websites I didn't find a yes or no answer as to whether transcripts are released or not and when if they are. It would appear that DURING the whole affair nothing is released to the public, AFTER??? who knows? Anyone?
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    for me its really quite depressing to learn -now the federal case is formerly closed - that the armstrong story will continue to receive oxygen on the anti-doping charges.

history shows armstrong is not too big or too great to be brought down.
    but if that was realistically going to happen it should have happened a long time ago.

following a potential guilty verdict within the next 18 months, there would be absolutely no realistic prospect of re-writing the results with any closure. the whole 10-12 year period in question - many fans now assume - was normal for a top ten finisher to dope.
  • dennisn
    dcj wrote:
    ........ no realistic prospect of re-writing the results with any closure. the whole 10-12 year period in question - many fans now assume - was normal for a top ten finisher to dope.

I would have to say that it's a whole lot more than a 10-12 year period where it "was normal for a top 10 finisher to dope". I even disagree with with your "top 10 finisher" estimation. Shall we say 1/3 of the peloton or more???
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not sure if i'm reading this write but it seems as if it was the FDA and the investigation that stopped but one of the other people in the government who closed it down. We know LA has friends in the government so maybe that helped him out here
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Bonnie Ford's piece is, as usual, excellent, but of particular interest was her observation of the timing of the announcement. I hadn't appreciated that American sport's coverage will be dominated by the Superbowl this weekend.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    :lol:

Now Lance has friends big enough to have an investigation into him closed.

C'mon your grabbing at straws it's sad.

It's over now and his legacy continues intact.
  • iainf72
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Is it over? Ok, the feds are pursuing a fraud case but the USADA aren't finished yet. The feds might release more to them now for sporting sanctions. Or not, who knows.

Lance has very big friends and you can be sure there has been some intense lobbying in the background.
  • According to velonation the UCI see it as all over.
    USADA making noises but I expect this story to wither away from an authority point of view.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • iainf72
    zippypablo wrote:
    According to velonation the UCI see it as all over.
    USADA making noises but I expect this story to wither away from an authority point of view.

The UCI would say that, as they weren't exactly looking like they were covered in glory.

I wonder if they'll still pretend they're going to sue people to appear tough?
  • iainf72
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    zippypablo wrote:
    According to velonation the UCI see it as all over.

The UCI would say that, as they weren't exactly looking like they were covered in glory.

I wonder if they'll still pretend they're going to sue people to appear tough?

well it worked for Lance Armstrong.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Is it over? Ok, the feds are pursuing a fraud case but the USADA aren't finished yet. The feds might release more to them now for sporting sanctions. Or not, who knows.

Lance has very big friends and you can be sure there has been some intense lobbying in the background.

I'm sure Lance has "very big friends" but then again so do lots of people and that hasn't stopped the law from bringing down some really big fish, including many politicians, business heads, bankers, and even a President(Nixon). So I'm thinking that while it sounds good(this big friends thing) you may be making more of it than it is.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Well I think this is great. He is cleared, he beat lots of athletes on PED's, and he was surrounded by people who took PED's. This backs up his story about never failing a PED test, also he has always said "I have never taken drugs of any description"

Wait what do you mean he hasn't ever said that? It's just crap about being tested lots and never had a positive. Well at least thats something, WHAT L'equipe has evidence he tested positive for EPO and he had a test for something called a corticoid? Ah man what douche.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • I just logged on saw this and literally only have two min, I promise to check back on Monday and re read everyone's comments but for now I want to say yay Lance! Bb suck it!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    WADA are backing USADA

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11070 ... USADA.aspx

I think something may well come of this, much of the investigative legwork has presumably already been done.

Just had a look at this thread's equivalent on the commuting section. It's interesting to see the reactions from those who haven't been paying as much attention to the story as most of the posters in here. Lances reputation doesn't seem to have been knocked down as much as some might hope.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live