How much does your total household bills come to?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    you're all about the Benjamins aren't you Ricky?

I've worked with loads of people with MBAs - fooking useless, the lot of 'em.

*shrugs*

Can't seem to get my foot in the door just straight up applying.

People seem to be listened to when they've done an MBA, in my very limited experience.
    Hrm, I should ask lilBroDhope how he got into stuff. He's temping at the moment proofreading ministerial papers and arguing with David Cameron's press secretary. Says that it's the first job in years where everyone else is either studying for a PHd or waiting for their book to be published. Says it's great, actually working with people that have something to say. I'm jealous, truth be told.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dhope wrote:
    you're all about the Benjamins aren't you Ricky?

I've worked with loads of people with MBAs - fooking useless, the lot of 'em.

*shrugs*

Can't seem to get my foot in the door just straight up applying.

People seem to be listened to when they've done an MBA, in my very limited experience.
    Hrm, I should ask lilBroDhope how he got into stuff. He's temping at the moment proofreading ministerial papers and arguing with David Cameron's press secretary. Says that it's the first job in years where everyone else is either studying for a PHd or waiting for a books to be published. Says it's great, actually working with people that have something to say. I'm jealous, truth be told.

Wasn't through www.w4mp.org was it?

Tried SOO MANY of those when I was unemployed.
  • dhope
    Wasn't through http://www.w4mp.org was it?

Tried SOO MANY of those when I was unemployed.
    No, he's a creative type so is quite used to temping while acting, temping while gigging, temping while producing, temping while writing etc.
    Think he did english/politics/philosophy degree and since then stints at the Beeb and various civil servant type roles. So I think it's actually just a lot of experience in various departments and being gud wiv words an stuff innit, and then reputation does the rest. So maybe no quick route in. Will ask next time I see him :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Food bill comes to:
    £150 a month

Fark! Do you not eat or something? :wink:

Our weekly food bill is £160+ and that doesn't include wine (which as we all know is one of your 5-a-day), fresh bread every couple of days and extra milk we get delivered - we go through around 30 pints a week. Mind you there's five of us - 2 adults & three teens.

Don't want to add up household bills/mortgage/insurance for the year, would probably make me depressed, but it must be somewhere north of £35K :cry:

Phew, 3 pages before someone commented on £150 a month on food, I thought it was just me going eh, how little?

We've just disposed of 1 teenage mouth & one of the dogs died recently but our groceries bill has stuck at an average £150 a week due to prices keep going up, Tesco rather than Lidl for now and generally going for the standard stuff rather than finest or value.
    2 earners 2 teens 2 dogs. We just about break even on £45k+ per year as long as nothing big needs doing. But we are still paying off a big loan that kept us going when between us we were pretty much living out of travel lodges and taking unpaid leave with poorly child hospitalled away from home.

We don't do satellite TV, holidays are budget or stopping with people & I've just had to find/rejig nearly £200 a month to cover a pay cut. Really not sure how we're going to absorb increased costs/bills/pension, a 5 year pay freeze for us both and inflation running at 4-5% (and the rest) without some very harsh decisions
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Food bill comes to:
    £150 a month

Fark! Do you not eat or something? :wink:

Our weekly food bill is £160+ and that doesn't include wine [...]

Hmmm, my bank's summary for last year's spending has payments to my wine merchant totalling £4K+. I suspect this may make my views somewhat unhelpful, other than a switch to TT would fund a Volagi next year.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's about choices/priorities, some people spend most of their money on fags, booze and takeaways and then just squander the rest.

It is not about what you earn but how you spend, as you have more control over this than your income.

gave up smoking
    gave up drinking
    don't eat takeaway food
    have solar power, not connected to the grid
    Don't own/watch television
    Don't own a car
    gave up working...

Got nice bikes though!

I just read that through and I sound like a right smug buckwheat! not my intention.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Per month:

Electric: 40
    Gas 40:
    Council tax: 60
    TV: whatver the licencse is
    AOL, phone and mobile: 35
    Water and sewerage: Dunno, not much
    Insurance: 25
    Medical: 10
    Food: 100
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    ClarkeyCat, -£925,893.11 then? should hope more than that

Heh - thats what my balance sheet looks like.

Fah-reaky!

Thats because you shop at Waitrose.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    supersonic wrote:
    Per month:

Gas 40:

i'm hoping those figures quoted are in oz of gold otherwise you might well be the most frugal person in the UK ..... after my father-in-law :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    For me mortgage and child care dwarfs every other expenditure to the point that they aren't really worth talking about.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • supersonic
    itboffin wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Per month:

Gas 40:

i'm hoping those figures quoted are in oz of gold otherwise you might well be the most frugal person in the UK ..... after my father-in-law :wink:

Believe me I am a right tight bar steward ;-)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2012
    When I was 23 I earned £14k a year.

When I was 23 I made just over 4k. That year.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg66 wrote:
    When I was 23 I made just over 4k.

That WAS a lot of money back then though.....

Didn't your first house cost 15 pound and thrupence goatley?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    supersonic wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Per month:

Gas 40:

Believe me I am a right tight bar steward ;-)

:shock:

but but £100 notes a MONTH on food!!!!! how much do you weight? are you really a hamster?

I'm not proud of this #FACT but it is true our monthly food bill is between £1000-£1400 and we mostly shop from Tesco not Harrods.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    When I was 23 I made just over 4k.

That WAS a lot of money back then though.....

Didn't your first house cost 15 pound and thrupence goatley?

Well quite. It was enough to fund a private army and find favour from the King.

On a trip to NY a few years ago we went to Tiffany. The kids were 5 and 7, I think. They were allowed to try on a solitaire diamond ring with a price tag equal to that of our first house (a six figure sum beginning with a 1).

Quite difficult to reconcile the comparable values.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DrLex wrote:
    Hmmm, my bank's summary for last year's spending has payments to my wine merchant totalling £4K+.

Like.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin wrote:
    I'm not proud of this #FACT but it is true our monthly food bill is between £1000-£1400

Like.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • supersonic
    25 quid a week for one person is easy - pasta, rice, home made sauces, getting to the shops just before they close ;-). About £3.50 a day, no probs at all.

And I am a little overweight ;-)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm not proud of this #FACT but it is true our monthly food bill is between £1000-£1400

Like.

Does 'food' include beer?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I was on the Starship Enterprise (Next Generation) my band into rank/role would be like Lieutenant Geordie La Forge (before he became Lieutenant Commander).

Oh. Level 7. You have just said.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    :roll:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If I was on the Starship Enterprise (Next Generation) my band into rank/role would be like Lieutenant Geordie La Forge (before he became Lieutenant Commander).

Oh. Level 7. You have just said.
    :roll: And the rest... :roll: I wish :roll: not that high :roll: chicken feed :roll: add tge weighting :roll: maybe :roll: maybe not.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Just looked at the EPO's spread sheet. Not including mortgage we do about £900 a month. Food is over half of that including school dinners. The mortgage is as much again.
    If we carry on going backwards I could probably lose £100 off that. We don't go out to eat or anything unless it's a special occasion. I earn a bit less than we have to spend every month. For the time being we still have most of the Mrs' redundancy as a buffer and she has a 3 month temporary contract so we are doing ok. Feeding 2 fast growing children is a major exoense. My son eats a lot more than I do, he was growing an inch a month for half of last year. That kind of growth needs a lot of fuel.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited February 2012
    Man of the house should always get the most food, work your way backwards from there - well in my house anyway.

This does make me think about what is being spent. Yesterday i had fish and chips:

Keep in mind that we mostly shop at: Morrisons, Tesco (online shop), Tooting/Surrey Street Market.

Coley £1 - miss DDD made the bread crumbs from old bread.
    Chips - sliced up two jacket into wedges potato 20p each
    She'd have made the tartare sauce if she had time. So bought from local corner shop at 90p.

£2.30 for two people.

Add olive oil, salt, pepper, egg and garlic - which we always have.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Hmmm, I think when I get home I am going to have a word with my wife about the amount she spends on food shopping!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Land Line £18
    TV LICENCE £36
    Home Insurance £61
    SKY DIGITAL £79
    Electricity £80
    Council Tax £83
    Service Charge £221
    Mobile £30

So that's £608 before food, mortgage etc. It's the service charge that cripples me.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ah rely on tha kindness of strangers.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Man of the house should always get the most food, work your way backwards from there - well in my house anyway.
    Tell me that when your boy is 5'11" and still growing fast. Usually my son's intake goes up for a while and we know he's about to have a growth spurt. From April to October last year he kept eating and kept growing.
  • DonDaddyD
    Hey, I'm not criticising. Just that I only once dared to eae more than my Dad. It was his dinner plate see, mother told me to get my dinner from the kitchen. The small plate was too small and so was the medium sized plate, so I picked the large one. That was his. Lovely piece of meat that was, juicy. thick, seasoned well. Mum was furious, Dad, a somewhat shouty man, never said a word he just sat there clicking away at his PC.

I went to bed, never more afraid in my life.

Them's the rules I come from.

Anyway monthly bills:

TV licence: £12.12
    Internet/House Phone: £19
    Gas: £67
    Electricity: £55
    Council tax: £126
    Water: £21

Food: £150

(Insurance, mobile phone, contact lenses, car insurance, car costs, travel to work and comics - I see as my own personal expenses which come to £500).
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have literally no idea what any of my monthly expenditure is, other than my mortgage which I could tell you to the nearest couple of hundred quid. Is that bad?!
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hey, I'm not criticising. Just that I only once dared to eae more than my Dad. It was his dinner plate see, mother told me to get my dinner from the kitchen. The small plate was too small and so was the medium sized plate, so I picked the large one. That was his. Lovely piece of meat that was, juicy. thick, seasoned well. Mum was furious, Dad, a somewhat shouty man, never said a word he just sat there clicking away at his PC.
    What a bizarre story :?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo