How much does your total household bills come to?

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmm - good question:

My salary is in the £40 to 50k region. My wifes part time salary is in the £30k region - previously in the £70k region.

Mortgage: £1000
    Council Tax: 110
    Food: £400 to £750 (if you include eating out or party/NCT group functions)
    Fuel: £250 +
    Gas + Electric: £140
    Insurances: £150
    Dog: £130 (yes £130 for dog walking)
    Childcare 3 days a week/month: £700
    Loan repayments for courses/Uni/house rebuilding and so on: £500
    TV + Broadband: £60
    Fags and Booze: £100
    Bike : £0

Result is that we are not skint, but when that part in the boiler fails we gotta go an find some cash. We have been spanking the account recently due to ill health in the family, resulting in a recent death. Consequenlty we were driving silly mileage week in and week out - so the fuel cost for the last 6 to 8 months has more than doubled and the car is now due for a service and 2 new tyres - queue £500.

Laziness on my part and my wifes part is the reason that we have not cut back as much as we should have - this will have to change if we are to survive further as we have just been credit carding.

We can definitely change our food shopping habits and cut the tv and broadband bill.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    I do wonder about this, it seems to be a bit hard-wired in our culture. Jealousy is my guess.
    Not jealousy, it's for protection on both sides. I <get by> but if I wandered round the building openly telling others what I earn that might well change the relationship that exists between various hierarchies. It works outside too - everyone can accept differences but knowing how much someone is on instantly gives everyone a solid basis for comparison. Better to keep schtum about it IME.
    It's a real english thing the not-talking-about-money.

The idea that someone might change their opinion of me or my relationship with them because they know how much I earn is uncomfortable with me.

If it does, then they can f*ck off. They should base their relationship on ME not my bank balance.
    How much do you earn?

Before you answer know that I will never tell you how much I earn.

Unless you do that thing that I like :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care how many kids they have. We all have to budget.
    Punish the kids for the parents irresponsibility?

<runs away>

ClarkeyCat, -£925,893.11 then? should hope more than that
    In these benefit funded household. What's the chances that the kids actually get to see the child mantenance and benefit?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    I do wonder about this, it seems to be a bit hard-wired in our culture. Jealousy is my guess.
    Not jealousy, it's for protection on both sides. I <get by> but if I wandered round the building openly telling others what I earn that might well change the relationship that exists between various hierarchies. It works outside too - everyone can accept differences but knowing how much someone is on instantly gives everyone a solid basis for comparison. Better to keep schtum about it IME.
    It's a real english thing the not-talking-about-money.

The idea that someone might change their opinion of me or my relationship with them because they know how much I earn is uncomfortable with me.

If it does, then they can f*ck off. They should base their relationship on ME not my bank balance.
    How much do you earn?

Before you answer know that I will never tell you how much I earn.

Unless you do that thing that I like :wink:

Can't work it out precisely since it's a sales job with appropriate sales pay but I recon I'll have earned £34k by the end of the financial year.
  • DonDaddyD

Can't work it out precisely since it's a sales job with appropriate sales pay but I recon I'll have earned £34k by the end of the financial year.

Bold, bold. I always imagined you working for a charity, civil servant or some Governemtn job.
    Food Chain number = 4

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    [Can't work it out precisely since it's a sales job with appropriate sales pay but I recon I'll have earned £34k by the end of the financial year.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: Points & laughs.... £34k??? :lol::lol::lol:

See that's the sort of reaction you'd really like to avoid.

<wishes I could earn even half that much...>
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bold, bold. I always imagined you working for a charity, civil servant or some Governemtn job.
    I wish my friend I wish. But they all rejected me.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hang on. £34K by the end of the financial year. Are you estimating your pay on a Yearly basis. Or a 34k so far (Jan - April) basis. Think carefully now.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hang on. £34K by the end of the financial year. Are you estimating your pay on a Yearly basis. Or a 34k so far (Jan - April) basis. Think carefully now.

Unless by some stroke of luck we move a load of people with no notice periods into turbo jobs, I'll have earned 34k come April.
  • Mrs S G is the spreadsheet queen and divides expenditure into regular monthly - mortgage, utilities,etc. annual - car tax, house insurance, etc. monthly consumables - food, wine, fuel, etc. Last month was £620, £103 & £525, respectively on an annual income of approx. £27,000gross. This income is roughly half of our income in the last year I worked, 2007/08.

We spend little on our mortgage (£21pcm) but quite a lot on holidays and travel (£1600 on flight tickets to Oz for April). This order of priorities reflects our age and family arrangements - Australian daughter and family. We do not feel that we are comfortably situated and food shopping, in particular, has become noticeably more expensive in the last two years.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I wish my friend I wish. But they all rejected me.

Keep trying, try the NHS, department of health they're good inroads and it'd be a waste of your er talent for the 'left'. I can help - to be honest all the answers are in the person specification (I shouldn't say that but its common knowledge).
    CIB wrote:
    Points & laughs.... £34k???

See that's the sort of reaction you'd really like to avoid.

<wishes I could earn even half that much...>
    £34K is generally quite good, especially when you factor in his age. I'd have thought.

Not that I... er... earn that much... <<shifty eyes>>
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    5 years ago I'd have bitten your hand off to earn what I earn now.
    Now it's coming up to appraisal and bonus season (yes, I work in a bank. no, I'm not a banker) and I'm priming the righteous indignation for if, despite an entirely unspectacular year for the business and a 20% raise for me last year, I don't get a decent raise this time around.
    This based on some loose knowledge that the guy whose job I'm now doing was probably earning 70% what I was has left to double his wage at a bank down the road.

I am trying to roll my eyes at myself right now if that's any consolation.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    You expect to earn £34k between Jan and April.

Isn't there supposed to be a recession on and a shortage of jobs?

Chapeau you!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    I think this thread has gone on to demonstrate human greed. It happens in the NHS as well. I'm happy with what I earn.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Food bill comes to:
    £150 a month

Fark! Do you not eat or something? :wink:

Our weekly food bill is £160+ and that doesn't include wine (which as we all know is one of your 5-a-day), fresh bread every couple of days and extra milk we get delivered - we go through around 30 pints a week. Mind you there's five of us - 2 adults & three teens.

Don't want to add up household bills/mortgage/insurance for the year, would probably make me depressed, but it must be somewhere north of £35K :cry:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • I'll have earned £34k by the end of the financial year.

Definitely good for your height though! :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Chapeau you!
    Would imagine it was 34k over the year. Going from £100k to applying for a first role in government might be a rude awakening
    :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    5 years ago I'd have bitten your hand off to earn what I earn now.
    Now it's coming up to appraisal and bonus season (yes, I work in a bank. no, I'm not a banker) and I'm priming the righteous indignation for if, despite an entirely unspectacular year for the business and a 20% raise for me last year, I don't get a decent raise this time around.
    This based on some loose knowledge that the guy whose job I'm now doing was probably earning 70% what I was has left to double his wage at a bank down the road.

I am trying to roll my eyes at myself right now if that's any consolation.

Pretty sure there are only two reactions that should be given when receiving your bonus in the City.

Either totally p!ssed off (i.e. pleased), or totally p!ssed off, followed by a call to a headhunter (not pleased).
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Chapeau you!
    Would imagine it was 34k over the year. Going from £100k to applying for a first role in government might be a rude awakening
    :twisted:

Yeah.

There's some joke about standing on my wallet or something there.
  • DonDaddyD
    Blacktemplar,

Mon - Thurs:

Breakfast: muffins in the morning are made out of porridge oats, honey and raisins.
    Lunch: Sandwich, yesterdays dinner, jacket potato.
    Dinner: Usually something healthy (fish 2 days a week, white meat and a veggie day - always with rice, potato, pasta maybe salad).

Fri:
    Home made takeaway

Saturday:
    Whatever

Sunday:
    Healthy breakfast (used to be a Ms DDD fryup every Sunday)
    Roast

Beans on toast or the like for lunch on weekends.

We shop at Morrisons, £1 shops, buy bulk bags of rice (the cash and carry/restaurant kind) and Tooting/Surrey street market. Ms DDD doesn't buy no frills or "battery" meats - always the cornfed, allowed to roam stuff.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    There's some joke about standing on my wallet or something there.
    Do you need a leg up? :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    Point is, now I've earned a fair bit for my age (no overheads, no mortgages, no debts) I've got a good idea of what it's like to have a bit, and how important that is to me.

Turns out, I like it, but I'd happily earn less for a job I like, with people I like (surprise surprise).

What's less cool is the GF seems keener on the lifestyle. If I take a pay cut, (if I ever can find a way out of this job) we'll have to move, and she won't like that.

I'd be OK with it.

I'd definitely struggle in London on benefit though.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    aren't you, like, 23 RC?

£34k is not bad at all for someone of your age.

*pats head*

....after tax, right?
  • rick_chasey
    aren't you, like, 23 RC?

Don't try and fool me with that ' I tawk yung innit' lingo jingo.

I am 23 oui.
  • clarkey cat
    When I was 23 I earned £14k a year.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Turns out, I like it, but I'd happily earn less for a job I like, with people I like (surprise surprise).

A career in the third sector awaits!
  • rick_chasey
    When I was 23 I earned £14k a year.

Yeah.

Looking for a career change ( a substantial one), and have figured I'll have to start at the bottom of the ladder of that industry again by the looks of it, so while I'm earning a bit now, It's hurting my future earnings, and that'll inevitably be in an industry which isn't so well paid.

Either way, still can't afford to do a proper MBA for example.
  • clarkey cat
    you're all about the Benjamins aren't you Ricky?

I've worked with loads of people with MBAs - fooking useless, the lot of 'em.
  • rick_chasey
    you're all about the Benjamins aren't you Ricky?

I've worked with loads of people with MBAs - fooking useless, the lot of 'em.

*shrugs*

Can't seem to get my foot in the door just straight up applying.

People seem to be listened to when they've done an MBA, in my very limited experience.
  • rick_chasey
    I worked out a young age I was good at doing stuff I don't like.

Increasingly thinking that the holy grail of a job I love isn't actually out there, so I've figured I might as well cash in on the above skill.

I draw the line at what I do now mind.