How much does your total household bills come to?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
OK I'm gonna come clean here because it seems this is going to be the topic of debate for a week or so and seeing as we are debating as to whether benefits should be capped and others peoples household costs. What are yours?

You don't need to reveal personal costs, debts, rent/mortgage etc. I've purposely left mine out as not to allude to my actual income. Equally I'm more interested in the average costs of the essentials of keeping a home. Me?

My house hold costs - (utilities, internet, phone, TV licence and Council tax) comes to:
£300 a month :shock:

Food bill comes to:
£150 a month

So what's yours?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Expecting one bit of info too far here DDD, I suspect.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I will contribute to a certain extent as it came as a shock when I added it up.

Bills & taxes = 3000/year!
    That is without any mortgage/rent or groceries/food & drink included.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I'm guessing a little as The Better Half generally keeps a closer eye on the bills, but for the same stuff as you we're looking at (I think) similarly just over £1100 a month.

Foodwise - not really sure as we do a "main shop" but then invariably have to top stuff up during the week (milk / bread etc.). We used to be able to plan meals better but now the Eldest is at School and has School Dinners we sometimes have to change plans so we don't significantly repeat stuff that she's had at School that day (likewise for the Youngest and her Nursery meals).
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dunno, I'll budget more when I have a wife, kid or house to pay for.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:
    Dunno, I'll budget more when I have a wife, kid or house to pay for.
    +1
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    Expecting one bit of info too far here DDD, I suspect.

Mmmm, you may be right. I tried to make it as ambiguous as possible. I didn't break it down and excluded personal bills, like car costs, travel, debts and luxuries - as not to give a closer indication of what people earn.

My house hold costs is not an indication of what either I or Ms DDD earn, more what we currently and were/are prepared to pay.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Quick back-of-envelope calculation - two full time earners - roughly £1750 give or take £100.
  • Why are people in general so cagey about what they earn?

Would total salary transparency increase equality of pay?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Would this be more relevant/useful* if it was bills and household running costs, rather than including rent? Especially seeing as rent is the big changable factor between areas, and is to a large extent a choice. Whereas electricity in Kensington costs the same as electricity in Barnsley....doesn't it?

*for me anyway, as someone in the flat/house-hunting process!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    Quick back-of-envelope calculation - two full time earners - roughly £1750 give or take £100.
    Who me and Ms DDD, ha you wish!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    Would this be more relevant/useful* if it was bills and household running costs, rather than including rent? Especially seeing as rent is the big changable factor between areas, and is to a large extent a choice. Whereas electricity in Kensington costs the same as electricity in Barnsley....doesn't it?

Rent's THE deciding factor for most people.

It's by far and away my biggest income.
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Who me and Ms DDD, ha you wish!

No, my household outgoings.
  • DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:

Good point.

You? minus rent
    Food Chain number = 4

• bails87
    bails87 wrote:

I know. If a typical flat shared by a typical couple costs £300 per month to run, and you take home £1000 per month, and you want £200 per month left over for blow and hookers then you know that you need a place that costs no more than £1000 minus £200 minus £300.

You can see on rightmove (other house finding websites are available :wink:) exactly how much the rent is, but the other bills have to be a guess. So if Mr X says he spends £1100 per month, is that £1000 on rent and £100 on food and bills, or £200 on renting a bedsit in Carlisle, and £900 on caviar?

As for what I cost? I don't know....sorry!
    MTB/CX

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    Maxticate wrote:
    Why are people in general so cagey about what they earn?

Interstingly, there is evidence that moves to make boardroom pay more transparent has contributed to high executive pay. Everyone knows what the top people are getting, so thinks they should be on something similar.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Maxticate wrote:
    Why are people in general so cagey about what they earn?

I do wonder about this, it seems to be a bit hard-wired in our culture. Jealousy is my guess.

So if anyone wants to know, I earn £40k, Mrs Bomp earns £25k, and we spend:
    £300 on mortgage interest
    £600-£1000 into mortgage repayment fund
    £350 on food
    £220 on council tax
    £100 on gas and electric
    £90 on phone, broadband, mobiles, TV licence
    £not nearly enough on bikes
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I know. If a typical flat shared by a typical couple costs £300 per month to run, and you take home £1000 per month, and you want £200 per month left over for blow and hookers then you know that you need a place that costs no more than £1000 minus £200 minus £300.

You can see on rightmove (other house finding websites are available :wink:) exactly how much the rent is, but the other bills have to be a guess. So if Mr X says he spends £1100 per month, is that £1000 on rent and £100 on food and bills, or £200 on renting a bedsit in Carlisle, and £900 on caviar?

As for what I cost? I don't know....sorry!
    Between 2, roughly £80 a week on food, sometimes less. Let's call that roughly £4000 a year (being generous)

Council tax? just over £1000 a year.

Sky + internet - £40 a month, so £500 a year.

Water, electricity Gas? Really not much - small enough that the figures don't really add up. We're both full time (so out all day), have a tiny flat that heats up v. quickly, and we're not lazy with turning everything off.

Tube? £2,400 for the two of us per year.

That's it.
  • bails87
    Sorry Rick, hope you don't think I was pushing you for an answer, just explaining why (IMO) including rent makes it less useful*.

*For me. I'm being selfish here :wink:
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    *shrugs*

It's only money.
  • CiB
    bompington wrote:
    I do wonder about this, it seems to be a bit hard-wired in our culture. Jealousy is my guess.
    Not jealousy, it's for protection on both sides. I <get by> but if I wandered round the building openly telling others what I earn that might well change the relationship that exists between various hierarchies. It works outside too - everyone can accept differences but knowing how much someone is on instantly gives everyone a solid basis for comparison. Better to keep schtum about it IME.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Well, now, we've been running through this recently at home...

...and there's no way I'm sharing that sort of information, suffice to say we spend a bit more than you, DDD

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Not jealousy, it's for protection on both sides. I <get by> but if I wandered round the building openly telling others what I earn that might well change the relationship that exists between various hierarchies. It works outside too - everyone can accept differences but knowing how much someone is on instantly gives everyone a solid basis for comparison. Better to keep schtum about it IME.
    It's a real english thing the not-talking-about-money.

The idea that someone might change their opinion of me or my relationship with them because they know how much I earn is uncomfortable with me.

If it does, then they can f*ck off. They should base their relationship on ME not my bank balance.
  • DonDaddyD
    What I'm getting at is most of us here are under the 40% tax bracket. I'm beginning to see the same living costs £300 - £500. Throw in rent- £1100 - £1500. Add personal bills and your looking at around £1700 - £2000 a month people are spending.

Now benefits IMO should never take into consideration personal bills unless for health or luxuries.

So I reckon an average person in London (most expensive place to live in England so this model will work all over the Country) would need £1500 to live. £1000 - on rent and £500 on bills multiply by 12 = £18,000 there's your benefit cap. Add another half for a family = £27,000 (I'm being generous) and there is your benefit cap for families and I don't care how many kids they have. We all have to budget.
    Food Chain number = 4

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    When I started work I had the "how much do you earn" chat with a more experienced colleague. The outcome depressed me. In fact, in most cases one person will be earning more than the other, and so the lower earner might well be slightly miffed by a perceived injustice.

Don't ask, don't tell, in my view.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2012
    Possibly. I could halve my food expenditure without affecting my diet easily.

Where else could I save money if I had to, assuming I can't move?

Well, the extra stuff - eating out, takeaways - that could easily save £1500 a year (that isn't included)

I'd cycle ALL the time, if the GF did too, that'd be £2400 saved - minus £200 a year maintenance (which is generous for me) and £300 for her bike, we're still £1900 and a bike up. Call it another £200 for kit/wear/tear? No need for Rapha. £1700 up.

Holidays? Limit that to our Holland trip, so just flights no accomo, and we'd cook in rather than eat out there. Easily save £2000 doing that.

Sky? That's £200 a year saved.

It all adds up.

I said it on the other thread. Smoking tax is such a regressive tax - the poor are much more likely to smoke, and because it's addictive, it becomes a necessity for people who could do with the cash. The example given is a good case example.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    There's no way I'm telling you all how much I earn... needless to say its an eye-wateringly massive figure. Think about Sir Fred's pension BEFORE he gave a third back, double it, add ten, deduct 5%, deduct another 94%, deduct £1,000,000. Divide that by two. Add on £6.32. More than that. Maybe.

Household bills? God knows. The butler sorts all that out.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't care how many kids they have. We all have to budget.
    Punish the kids for the parents irresponsibility?

<runs away>

ClarkeyCat, -£925,893.11 then? should hope more than that
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    It's a real english thing the not-talking-about-money.

The idea that someone might change their opinion of me or my relationship with them because they know how much I earn is uncomfortable with me.

If it does, then they can f*ck off. They should base their relationship on ME not my bank balance.
    No way. I really like some of the people I work with, and the unspoken acceptance that I might earn quite a bit more [or less] than some of the people I work with shouldn't change that. It probably would; that's the way people are. Self-worth & esteem is to a greater or lesser extent based not just on what one earns, but how that compares with one's peers. You might not like it yourself Rick but where there's a big income disparity between people who work closely together and all enjoy that closeness, it'd be daft ruin it by openly sharing actual numbers. What you don't know won't hurt you - is that the phrase? Tacit acceptance often works better than outright open honesty.
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    The NHS lists it's salary paid to staff as "bands": http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/de ... spx?id=766

These in themselves have been known to become a point of contention. "I'm only on band 3" (an excuse for not doing the job) or "I'm on band 5 I should be on band 7 or 8". I call it band envy.

Once you know what band a person is on you can loosely extraporlate what they take home a year and a month. I don't generally reveal my "band" I don't like pulling band rank.

If I was on the Starship Enterprise (Next Generation) my band into rank/role would be like Lieutenant Geordie La Forge (before he became Lieutenant Commander).
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    ClarkeyCat, -£925,893.11 then? should hope more than that

Heh - thats what my balance sheet looks like.

Fah-reaky!