Le gamage.

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    I'm retro in my games playing. While I have a Nintendo Wii (which I really must set up again!) my favourite games machine is my old Sega Mega Drive!

Yep still in working order and Sonic The Hedgehog is frequently played in this household!

I still also have an original Game Boy machine, a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and a Nintendo DS

The mega drive still wins for me though :D

Is that the one with the "SEEEEEEEGAAAAA *BLIIING*" intro?

That's the one!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I got the Metal gear Solid HD collection yesterday. It even includes the first two games there came out on MSX.

Quite bizarre playing those old style games with their limited graphics and sound on the most modern of gaming machines.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Skyrim & the Assian Creed series will no doubt suck up your life for awhile if you liked New Vegas!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The rhythm games are easy to dip in and out of (Guitar Hero, Rock Band), but can consume a lot of time if you're determined to win at expert level.

Steam tells me I have played 1251 hours of TF2. Got bored of BF3 fairly quickly, but looking forward to Guild Wars 2 next. Neither on a console, of course.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    The rhythm games are easy to dip in and out of (Guitar Hero, Rock Band), but can consume a lot of time if you're determined to win at expert level.

Steam tells me I have played 1251 hours of TF2. Got bored of BF3 fairly quickly, but looking forward to Guild Wars 2 next. Neither on a console, of course.

^_^

Nearly 2000 hours of WoW on just one of my max-lvl characters... You want value for money? :P
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Thats over 2 months!
    I can't talk though, I probably did at least that on GoldenEye back in the day and, more recently, Gran Turismo on the PS2.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Agent57 wrote:

^_^

Nearly 2000 hours of WoW on just one of my max-lvl characters... You want value for money? :P
    Hmm, it's not as addictive as I thought, I'm sure I poured many times that into the text based ones in the past.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    dhope wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

^_^

Hmm, it's not as addictive as I thought, I'm sure I poured many times that into the text based ones in the past.

Now, thats old skool!

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mud?
  • dhope
    Mud?
    Yup, Elysium mostly , and a bizarre one called Void, but Void was before the days of tinternet, having to connect to 1 of the 4 phonelines that. 5 if the coder was connected locally. 5 online at once... now that's massively multiplayer.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    Have heard stories of mud... Never played. Too young.

If you like those kind of games, there's a new freeware game called Cart Life which is supposed to be brilliant.

Has quality tunage anyway. Worth downloading just for that.

http://youtu.be/lFxeU8swXUc

A review here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... cart-life/
  • dhope
    Have heard stories of mud... Never played. Too young.

If you like those kind of games, there's a new freeware game called Cart Life which is supposed to be brilliant.

Has quality tunage anyway. Worth downloading just for that.

http://youtu.be/lFxeU8swXUc

A review here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01 ... cart-life/

Hmm, that looks like it actually has images. Far too new fangled for me :D E and Void were text only, no graphics at all.
    I don't really game anymore. Much of it is not having a decent size desk for the PC, silly as it sounds. Wall mounted TV all fine for console and TV, lousy for PC.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    I remember playing a text only adventure game on the Amstrad CPC464. Tape load, no internet connection.

"You are lying on your back in a long thin chamber in total darkness..."

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Bioshock?

it gave me the willies!

dont play it with the lights off
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Agent57
    Agent57 wrote:

^_^

Value for money? Well, I paid about £30 for the Orange Box, which had TF2 and Portal, as well as Half Life 2, HL2 Episode 1 and HL2 Episode 2. If we just take TF2, that's about 2.4 pence per hour of entertainment.

WoW costs around £9 for month, doesn't it? At least, it did when I played it. 2000 hours is at least a year of playing, and that's if you average more than 5 hours every single day. So well over £100, or more than 5 pence per hour of entertainment. I reckon you've been paying your WoW sub for a lot longer than that, and of course there's the cost of WoW, Burning Crusade, Frozen Throne and Cataclysm; so in terms of value for money, TF2 knocks it into a cocked hat.

:P

I only got to level 60 first time around (which was the level cap at the time) on my undead spriest. Got to 85 on my worgen priest, but have never put that amount of time into WoW. It's still my favourite of all the MMORPGs I've played though (and there have been a lot), despite its faults.

Old school open world PvP was the best, back in the early days. Tarren Mill / Southshore, for example. Fun times.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Mass effect 1 and 2 are good RPGS with shooty elements, I'm about half way through ME2 atm. I massively enjoyed fable 2 and 3 however it is a 3rd person adventure type rpg so I dont know if its for you. Fall out 3 has also been entertaining so far.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I remember playing a text only adventure game on the Amstrad CPC464. Tape load, no internet connection.

I used to be the geeky, nerdy type that used to write those kinds of games on an old BBC computer at school :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rick_chasey
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Bioshock?

it gave me the willies!

dont play it with the lights off

Finished bioshock 2.

Was good, but after all that was written about it, felt underwhelmed.

The combat didn't really work for me.
  • If anyone remembers Hellgate London... the one where the online Servers were shut down and everyone stopped playing?

Well - it's back in another guise: http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx

I'm playing it off and on at the moment and it's not bad at all. Someone has spent some time redoing it from scratch and there are some new bits to play.

It's pretty much mindless shooting with lots of upgrades for your character and you can play m/p co op with anyone online at the time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited February 2012
    Agent57 wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

^_^

Value for money? Well, I paid about £30 for the Orange Box, which had TF2 and Portal, as well as Half Life 2, HL2 Episode 1 and HL2 Episode 2. If we just take TF2, that's about 2.4 pence per hour of entertainment.

WoW costs around £9 for month, doesn't it? At least, it did when I played it. 2000 hours is at least a year of playing, and that's if you average more than 5 hours every single day. So well over £100, or more than 5 pence per hour of entertainment. I reckon you've been paying your WoW sub for a lot longer than that, and of course there's the cost of WoW, Burning Crusade, Frozen Throne and Cataclysm; so in terms of value for money, TF2 knocks it into a cocked hat.

:P

I only got to level 60 first time around (which was the level cap at the time) on my undead spriest. Got to 85 on my worgen priest, but have never put that amount of time into WoW. It's still my favourite of all the MMORPGs I've played though (and there have been a lot), despite its faults.

Old school open world PvP was the best, back in the early days. Tarren Mill / Southshore, for example. Fun times.

Welp, with rounding, 2760 hours played in total. Got my subscription Christmas 2009/2010, paid £20 for everything up to Wrath, then a further £14.99 preorder for Cata. Stopped the sub for the 4 months prior to cata's release. So far, then, it's cost me around £220. ETA: 7p per hour.

However, so far I've *earned* over £700 writing about it!

^_^
  • If anyone remembers Hellgate London... the one where the online Servers were shut down and everyone stopped playing?

I'm playing it off and on at the moment and it's not bad at all. Someone has spent some time redoing it from scratch and there are some new bits to play.

It's pretty much mindless shooting with lots of upgrades for your character and you can play m/p co op with anyone online at the time.

I tried that recently, it's..... kind of OK.

I'm really enjoying LA Noire though.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Oh?
  • rick_chasey
    If anyone remembers Hellgate London... the one where the online Servers were shut down and everyone stopped playing?

Never felt I was in enough control in LA Noire. The story was going to only go one way, and even if I f*cked up it'd still eventually get solved.

The whole GTA style driving around bit seems pointless.
  • rick_chasey
    If anyone remembers Hellgate London... the one where the online Servers were shut down and everyone stopped playing?

Never felt I was in enough control in LA Noire. The story was going to only go one way, and even if I f*cked up it'd still eventually get solved.

I get my partner to drive because I agree it's pointless. Makes it all go a lot faster. I agree, though, that there's no free will!
  • Agent57
    [WoW]

Now that's value for money!

Closest I got to making money out of gaming was when I worked for Eurogamer (they do gaming web sites). My job didn't actually involve playing games though - I wrote C and PHP for the sites and back end systems.
  • Agent57
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Reminds me of something...

"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

Also reminds me of other text adventure phrases, such as "Thorin says 'Hurry up.'" and "You have... a thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is; no tea."
  • rick_chasey
    Well, I finished Portal 2 pretty quickly.

Was great, albeit a little short.

Anyway, took the plunge and bought Skyrim.

Never really played a straight up dragons/swords/old bearded men in huts RPG before.

No idea what 'race' to be, so ended up as Reguard in a *shuteyespickone* moment.

Have immediately gone-off piste and have a million quests. And I've got some chap who follows me around who sings awful awful songs. Tempted to kill him.

Oh, and I steal a lot.

WTF is a mage btw? Is it basically a wizard type bloke?
  • A mage is a magic user, of any description. Skyrim isn't so rigid, though, in making you choose magic or swords; you can (and I do) wield both at once quite effectively.

As for going off-piste, you're expected to. If you just run straight through the main quest line, you'll miss out on an awful lot of gameplay.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I picked Skyrim up last week (damn you Steam...) and the depth and freedom is pretty bewildering. I'm used to pretty rigid game experiences like those of WoW etc... where you go down a specific path. Skyrim is far more complicated. The combat system seems clunky at the moment, having to bind spells to your hands. And I still haven't really figured out how to tell if the mob I'm about to lay in to is around my level or not.

Its kinda fun though, such a huge game, lots of possibility.