Le gamage.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
A few gamers on here.

Have an XBox 360

I'm done with fallout: new vegas.

Was the first proper RPG (other than Deus Ex) I've played, and it was fun. I've gotten around 50hrs in total on it (over many months) and I'm finished with it. I've had my fun. It's now boring.

I'm looking for a replacement. Ideally something a little older so I don't have to pay full whack.

By and large, I'm a PC Gamer, and was addicted to it for many many years. Practicality and price (as well as a 5 year hiatus from gaming) means I'm now on an Xbox. RTS and strategy games generally were a big staple, but I'm assuming that's a no go on an xbox.

Like most FPS, though I'm tired of the BLAM! BRRRRP! IN YOUR FACE shooters (read CoD). Not keen on platformers or 3rd person tomb raider style stuff.

It needs to be something I can dip in and out of pretty easily.

Anyone fancy recommending anything?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Have you played Portal/Portal 2?
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    Have you played Portal/Portal 2?

No.

It's a little low on gamage hours non?

Not that I'm all about the hours, but, y'know.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    BF3?

Theres a bit of blam! brrrrp! in your face but also a bit of Top Gun or Tank Buster or Enemy at the Gates. And even when you're blam! brrrrp! in your faceing you support you're team mates by giving them health or reviving them or giving them ammo.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Portal 1/2 are probably a little low on gaming hours but they are really good fun.

I played BF2 on the 360, and didn't like the way it felt, it just seemed a bit clunky compared to MW, haven't tried BF3 yet, but by all accounts the reviews I've heard from my friends suggest it's a PC game really, rather than a console game.

Saints Row 3, pretty easy to dip in and out of, bit ridiculous, sort of GTA on acid!

LA noire is reasonably enjoyable...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Pacman?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Red dead redemption? I quite like that on xbox. Rpg without annoying grind. You're a cowboy.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Oblivion?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rick_chasey
    Red Dead is definitely in the top 3 games I've ever played - certainly the best game I've played on the Xbox.

Wasn't bowled over by LA Noir.

I've heard a bit about Oblivion - mainly when people are trying to explain Skyrim?

Is portal worth it anyway?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Yeah portal is brilliant, genuinely funny and tricky enough to be fun.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    Oblivion?

Or go for Skyrim, but yep - both excellent games (and huge!)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    Hang on, is Oblivion the sequal to skyrim?

Fail on my part.
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of Chernobyl.

FPS but non linear, very atmospheric and long play time.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I haven't got time for gaming generally, but have quite a powerful PC rig set up as a HD PVR/media server/gaming machine wedged down the back of my 40" LCD. The only two games I have on it are MW2 and Portal 2. MW is crap - just makes no sense at all and I just can't be bothered playing it at all. As for Portal 2, the concept is great, but I find it so annoying that I only play it for about an hour at a time, once per month. The puzzles can be quite challenging, particularly for one so challenged as I, but it is terribly linear and really not very exciting, unless I'm missing something. I'd like to find a game that is properly fun, exciting and surprising. I'm intrigued to here what other suggestions come up.
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    I haven't got time for gaming generally, but have quite a powerful PC rig set up as a HD PVR/media server/gaming machine wedged down the back of my 40" LCD. The only two games I have on it are MW2 and Portal 2. MW is crap - just makes no sense at all and I just can't be bothered playing it at all. As for Portal 2, the concept is great, but I find it so annoying that I only play it for about an hour at a time, once per month. The puzzles can be quite challenging, particularly for one so challenged as I, but it is terribly linear and really not very exciting, unless I'm missing something. I'd like to find a game that is properly fun, exciting and surprising. I'm intrigued to here what other suggestions come up.

If I had space in my flat I'd be tempted to ask how much you wanted for your rig :P
  • notsoblue
    Oblivion and Skyrim are part of the same lore universe from what I gather, not sure if Skyrim is the sequel to Oblivion though.

Definitely check Portal 1/2 out if you haven't already. They might not be a huge time-sink but as a gameplay experience they're definitely up there with the best imo.

BF3 is worth a look, its not as twitchy as MW3, and can be more tactical. Its a PC game really though.
  • Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are both brilliant games - ME3 is out in March so the first two will be on offer - and VERY much worth getting.

You can migrate your character from one to the next to the next. The sub-quests of which chick you get to cop off with is always fun as well!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are both brilliant games - ME3 is out in March so the first two will be on offer - and VERY much worth getting.

You can migrate your character from one to the next to the next. The sub-quests of which chick you get to cop off with is always fun as well!

I figured I'd get quite a few RPG responses from you! Something to do with your dp...!
  • notsoblue
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are both brilliant games - ME3 is out in March so the first two will be on offer - and VERY much worth getting.

Bioware designed Star Wars: The Old Republic, and in that you can cop off with one of your companions as well if you're Sith Warrior.
  • Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are both brilliant games - ME3 is out in March so the first two will be on offer - and VERY much worth getting.

I figured I'd get quite a few RPG responses from you! Something to do with your dp...!

Ah, no - that's cos people kept calling me the Dark Lord with all the cape comments... it seemed appropriate :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey

Ah, no - that's cos people kept calling me the Dark Lord with all the cape comments... it seemed appropriate :)

Capes, RPGs - [american] tomato[/american] tomato.

Does you cape give you +2 forum skilz but -3 morality?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    RAGE? Picked up a 2nd hand copy for £8. FPS mixed with RPG elements, similar to Borderlands. Mind you, if you've not played Borderlands, get one of the Game of the Year editions. Its pretty big, the GOTY edition has a couple of expansion packs and you once you've finished it you can play through again keeping your upgrades and the game ramps up your opponents to match.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    RAGE? Picked up a 2nd hand copy for £8. FPS mixed with RPG elements, similar to Borderlands. Mind you, if you've not played Borderlands, get one of the Game of the Year editions. Its pretty big, the GOTY edition has a couple of expansion packs and you once you've finished it you can play through again keeping your upgrades and the game ramps up your opponents to match.

I've heard you need friends to get the most out of borderlands.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:

I've heard you need friends to get the most out of borderlands.

Nah.... the online bit is a lot of fun. You can only really take on the utterly insane big bad beatsie with help (unless you use the exploits) but you can run through the entire game on your own

I wonder if they fixed the armoury bug? Dropping through the floor to spend as much time as you liked picking goodies was great fun
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    Well, I got Portal 2 in the end.

Naturally LOVED half life 2 when it came out (last game I managed to run on my PC before it died), and you can definitely see the similarities betwen the final level/area in HL2 and the makeup for portal.

Valve are REALLY good aren't they?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Valve are brilliant, they had an app store before anyone else, they invented the cinematic single player FPS with Half-Life, perfected team death match in CS, perfected the class based shooter in TF2, invented close knit Co-op with Left4Dead and invented the first person puzzler with Portal. It could be argued that Valve saved PC Gaming

If there are any Valve games you haven't played then do it.

For some more intense first person stuff try Amnesia and Metro 2033
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • notsoblue

Preferably with the lights off, in an empty house.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    notsoblue wrote:

Preferably with the lights off, in an empty house.
    On a good headset and keep a spare pair of pants handy.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rick_chasey
    Valve are brilliant, they had an app store before anyone else, they invented the cinematic single player FPS with Half-Life, perfected team death match in CS, perfected the class based shooter in TF2, invented close knit Co-op with Left4Dead and invented the first person puzzler with Portal. It could be argued that Valve saved PC Gaming

If there are any Valve games you haven't played then do it.

Indeed. Je suis a big valve fan (though I got into CS way after it was beyond hardcore, so I never really had any proper fun on that). TF2 is special.

Funny that I've totally missed out on steam though. Had it to play HL2 and haven't played PC Games since. Seems that's totally changed PC gaming.

I still get the half-life jitters when I hear the valve logo chune. "buuuuuuuuuung bom......."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I'm retro in my games playing. While I have a Nintendo Wii (which I really must set up again!) my favourite games machine is my old Sega Mega Drive!

Yep still in working order and Sonic The Hedgehog is frequently played in this household!

I still also have an original Game Boy machine, a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and a Nintendo DS

The mega drive still wins for me though :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rick_chasey
    NGale wrote:
    I'm retro in my games playing. While I have a Nintendo Wii (which I really must set up again!) my favourite games machine is my old Sega Mega Drive!

Yep still in working order and Sonic The Hedgehog is frequently played in this household!

I still also have an original Game Boy machine, a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and a Nintendo DS

The mega drive still wins for me though :D

Is that the one with the "SEEEEEEEGAAAAA *BLIIING*" intro?