Would you like some salt for that chip, sweetcheeks?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I only complain about lefties - she's one. Otherwise I'm a happy bunny.

Mwahahahahahahah.
    You see? I've even made you happy grandpa.

Not that it's inaccurate (got Simon & Garfunkel Greatest Hits for Christmas), but remind me where that one comes from.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Mwahahahahahahah.

Not that it's inaccurate (got Simon & Garfunkel Greatest Hits for Christmas), but remind me where that one comes from.
    You just have this worldly-wise internet persona about you RJS. Wethers Originals and chunky jumpers.

It's not necessarily a negative :D
  • rjsterry
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Mwahahahahahahah.

You just have this worldly-wise internet persona about you RJS. Wethers Originals and chunky jumpers.

It's not necessarily a negative :D

...and real ale.

The bit that doesn't fit is that I'm developing a taste for dubstep of all things.:?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I thought it was quite funny... I doubt this makes her unemployable at all. Good luck to her at UCL.
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    The bit that doesn't fit is that I'm developing a taste for dubstep of all things.:?
    Pop quiz RJS...

Skrillex is Dubstep, true or false?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Thought it entertaining. Story will be forgotten by the morning, let alone in 3 and a half years when she's finished her degree so it shalln't harm her in the slightest.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Since most university dons don't even know what the interweb is I doubt it will make any difference to her future - I'm impressed by her sense of humour but I wouldn't want to work with her
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ben6899 wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Is there no room for a little humour these days? :|

Good on her.

At least it wasn't in txt spk which already makes her more employable than most.

Oh there's plenty of "room for a little humour these days", but I can't do with smart-arsed little idiots. Good on her for realising it's not all about Oxbridge, but getting all chippy about it makes her look like a tw@.

I won't be reading her blog about her gap year trekking in India...

Don't worry, a few of the BR regulars appear to be queuing up [pending hat removal] to 'teach her a lesson'!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    It's not a promising start to a comedy career, but it wasn't a bad joke, either. Subversion of expectations is the basis of a lot of comedy, after all.</geek>

This is surely more insufferable behaviour at the dreamy spires, and look how far it got them...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Since most university dons don't even know what the interweb is I doubt it will make any difference to her future - I'm impressed by her sense of humour but I wouldn't want to work with her

And the ones that are aware of it are probably more likely to regard it as at least different if they give a damn. I doubt that there are that many Uni interviews where one of the questions is 'Have you snubbed Oxbridge'?

In any case, if it was something likely to adversely affect a career, I think there are 10's of thousands of potential students who have far worse to worry about on their Facebook profiles.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pop quiz RJS...

Skrillex is Dubstep, true or false?

Seems to depend on who you ask - I'd go with 'heavily influenced by', but the more underground than thou crowd are just hilarious. Apparently you're a sell-out of more than 10 people have heard of you.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's the big deal? I know friends who got offers from Oxbridge and didn't take them up.

The only difference is that this one wrote a little letter and sent it.

Big deal, she's 18. I did worse then!
  • W1

Well that's a massive surprise isn't it! She's a Guardianist.

I suppose she'd rather they knocked down all the old buildings and made a replica council estate so she'd feel more comfortable.

She's not going to like courtrooms much either.
  • rick_chasey
    *shrugs* might as well read her side, even if you don't agree.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    What an irritating little twerp! Make a stand against the privileged, out-of-touch, not as great as they're cracked up to be Oxbridge colleges, by all means, but realise that it loses any weight or impact after you've twice applied and failed to get a place!!
  • W1
    I did, and I don't. If anything, it's made her look even more stupid than before (if that were possible).

The fact that she's shamlessly milking this is so predictable. One day, she may realise she's not as clever as she clearly thinks she is.
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    I did, and I don't. If anything, it's made her look even more stupid than before (if that were possible).

The fact that she's shamlessly milking this is so predictable. One day, she may realise she's not as clever as she clearly thinks she is.

Jeez. It's just a 19yr old.

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about it :P
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    One day, she may realise she's not as clever as she clearly thinks she is.

Wow, 19 year old isn't as clever as they think they are. Hold the front page.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    When I got my Oxford rejection letter I just huffed about it and told everyone I didnt want to hang out with a load of nerds for 3 years anyway - just like everyone else.

Why does she think she is so special?
  • Is Oxbridge really that elitist in terms of background these days? I know plenty of people who went through the state school system before studying at one of the Oxbridge colleges. I also do a little teaching at a state school (admittedly a well run Catholic school) who send several of their pupils off to Oxbridge every year. I can see how public school may prepare their students better for the Oxbridge interview, but surely that comes down to them having the time, experience and money to spend on their pupils rather than any failing on Oxford or Cambridge's part.

That girl will be in politics one day
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    One day, she may realise she's not as clever as she clearly thinks she is.

Wow, 19 year old isn't as clever as they think they are. Hold the front page.

It's the gleeful publicity that she's clearly relishing that makes the difference too.

On the BBC she did make the front page!
  • clarkey cat
    Is Oxbridge really that elitist in terms of background these days?

Last year Oxford offered 58.5% of their places to state school kids.

Not bad - although 93% of all pupils go to state school.

So, 41.5% of places go to 7% of the school population. Possibly.
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

Jeez. It's just a 19yr old.

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about it :P

It pisses me off that (a) she was stupid enough to do it and (b) she's so stupid she hasn't just let it lie.

This is a great example as to why I think "student politics" is such a load of old balls - clearly know nothing, speak like you know it all. She's in dreamland if she thinks this won't back to bite her - and she deserves it when it does.
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    It pisses me off that (a) she was stupid enough to do it and (b) she's so stupid she hasn't just let it lie.

This is a great example as to why I think "student politics" is such a load of old balls - clearly know nothing, speak like you know it all. She's in dreamland if she thinks this won't back to bite her - and she deserves it when it does.

Unlike your tone obviously ;)
  • W1
    W1 wrote:

I don't generally write complete cobblers, and am certainly not as stupid as to do as she has done - even if I were 19 again (I wish!).
  • clarkey cat
    I have to agree with W1. Fine, send the letter, think its a bit of a laugh - but she has taken steps to publicise the fact she sent the letter and now taken steps to justify it: all drawing attention to herself.

Still smash her though.
  • W1
    Still smash her though.
    I don't know why, but I get the feeling that's not a very short list.
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

I don't generally write complete cobblers, and am certainly not as stupid as to do as she has done - even if I were 19 again (I wish!).
    We'll be the judge of that :P
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat wrote:
    Still smash her though.

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that's not a very short list.

I'm just a very sexual person.