VOS the boss

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2014 in Pro race
She really is incredible. Cleaning up everything and then check this out.

vos.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,844
    Cool.

Proper Dutch list that one > check out the speed skaters.
  • frenchfighter
    Nearly mentioned above I think she should ride with the men then I came across this icle.
    Marianne Vos now rides for the Rabobank women's team, but could she one day ride for the ProTour team? Women's team manager Jeroen Bleijlevens is looking into the possibility, “purely to learn, not to win.”

Vos, who is only 24, has won virtually everything there is to win on the road and track, as well as on the mountain bike and the cyclo-cross circuit.

Blijlevens' biggest problem is how to keep his star motivated. “We are now thinking very hard about how we can continue to challenge and excite her in the coming years,” he told ad.nl. “I am not worried about 2012, with the Olympics and World Championships at home. But what about next year? It is an option to ride with the men in races.”

It is not clear whether she could actually ride on the men's team. “I am currently discussing it with people who deal with such matters. Yes, of course, with Marianne herself. She responds as always: modestly. "

If Vos does race with the men, then it would “not be to win. But she can improve herself, become even better.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vos-to- ... ming-years
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'd like to see that just out of interest. But it won't ever happen because then men would have to be allowed into the womens races, no?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Given that Vos weights 58 kg, that means she is putting out around 385 Watts in that test, which is impressive, as good as many UK domestic first cat men can sustain in a TT type effort. (Who typically weigh somewhere in the low 70kgs and put out a little over 5w/kg).

However, what is being measure here, threshold over an hour, five minutes or what? The theoretical maximum output for a woman, as calculated by the CyclingPeaks software people, is 6.61 w/kg over 5 minutes, or 5.69 w/kg over a sustained effort. Do these figures need revising, or should we take note of what people like Greg Lemond have to say about those who perform way beyond the accepted physiological limits? Vos's figure is also beyond that accepted as the maximum 'natural' limit for males for a sustained effort.

Perhaps the real answer is that the ergometer needed calibration!
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    However, what is being measure here, threshold over an hour, five minutes or what?

It says VO2 max Test at the top.
    A sample cycling test protocol is "starts out with 4 minutes at 100 watts, then every 4 minutes it jumps up 50 watts. After 250 watts the resistance jumps 35 watts every 2 minutes. The goal is to hang on as long as you can and ride to exhaustion".
  • There's about 4 pieces of paper with male/female peak power and w/kg, so I don't think this was a lactate threshold/FTP test, because Gesink (iirc) got over 7, which would put them firmly on the podium at very GT they rode, and I personally would find this number a bit suspicious if that was the case.

Edit: Original I looked at.

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/RGUpdate/view/11675907
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • BikingBernie
    andrew_s wrote:
    However, what is being measure here, threshold over an hour, five minutes or what?

A sample cycling test protocol is "starts out with 4 minutes at 100 watts, then every 4 minutes it jumps up 50 watts. After 250 watts the resistance jumps 35 watts every 2 minutes. The goal is to hang on as long as you can and ride to exhaustion".

So, that figure of 6.63 w/km (equivalent to a maximum power output of 383 w) might only relate to the last 2 minutes, or even 30 seconds of a ramp test, which will give a much higher figure than the rider could actually sustain over 5 minutes, let alone an hour...

To put things into perspective Marcus Backstedt was recordered as averaging over 1000 watts over some sections of the Paris-Roubaix a couple of years back.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    On the same test, Gesink got to about 7.5 w/kg if I recall correctly. Its on the wall in the medical centre I went to over xmas.

There was plenty of skaters on the list.

*********Sorry, just seen the post from ShockedSoShocked
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • andrew_s wrote:

So, that figure of 6.63 w/km (equivalent to a maximum power output of 383 w) might only relate to the last 2 minutes, or even 30 seconds of a ramp test, which will give a much higher figure than the rider could actually sustain over 5 minutes, let alone an hour...

To put things into perspective Marcus Backstedt was recordered as averaging over 1000 watts over some sections of the Paris-Roubaix a couple of years back.

If it's a peak power which I would personally think it is looking at the data, it'll be something like a 1 watt increase every 2/3 seconds until exhaustion.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    That has to be a joke riding in mens team?
    She would not win 1,2,3 race in UK let alone continenteal or pro team.
  • That has to be a joke riding in mens team?
    She would not win 1,2,3 race in UK let alone continenteal or pro team.

Not quite as bad as people looking at the average power outputs from racing and thinking "I could do that?".

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_lubwdzRVO01qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I only take one VO5 into the shower
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    It'll be from a ramp test. Starting out at lowish power and increase 25W every minute (5W every 12 seconds) to exhaustion. The highest 1 minute power output is usually considered your VO2Max.

Although I'm not at the moment, I used to ride at a good 2nd Cat level and my VO2Max was just over 6 W/Kg. I would expect a top level pro male to be greater than 8W/Kg at a guess.
  • frenchfighter
    I forgot all about her prowess on the track also. What an amazing all-rounder.

Img214559209.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,781
    By coincidence I was reading this article by Doug Dailey yesterday http://www.abcc.co.uk/abccArticle.aspx?id=432 which dates back to the 90s. I'm not sure who the rider is but I suspect it is Will Wright. The maximum power to weight ratio Doug managed to get him up to was very similar to that reading from Vos. If the rider is Will Wright then he went on to get a few placings in Premier Calendar races and was in the medals in the Welsh champs a few times as well as representing Wales at the Commonwealth Games (4th in the team pursuit). He had a decent riding career compared to the vast majority of us but I doubt he would have survived in the pro tour peloton.

I'd like to see Vos try it to find out how she gets on and there is obviously more to being a successful cyclist than your peak power to weight ratio. However, I suspect it would end in a similar way to Michelle Wie's attempts at playing on the men's pro tour in golf did.
  • BikingBernie
    Pross wrote:
    I'd like to see Vos try it to find out how she gets on and there is obviously more to being a successful cyclist than your peak power to weight ratio.
    Exactly so. Smaller riders, and this includes most of the top women, often have a natural advantage when it comes to their power to weight ratio. However, outright power is still king for much of the time and even a lowly 70-odd kg, 2nd cat male will be able to sustain a power output as high or higher than an elite female. (For example, 6 w/kg x 55 kg = 330 watts, 5 w/kg x 74 kg = 370 watts). When it comes to short term power outputs, as are needed in an attack or when sprinting, the gap betweem a pretty average male and the world's best females will be higher still.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/a ... rlds-33050
    At 24, Vos overtakes Hanka Kupfernagel (Germany) as record holder with five ‘cross world titles.

Yikes!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Note Roxane Knetemann (2nd): daughter of 1978 world champ Gerrie.
  • frenchfighter
    Two more wins in a few days. She is just cleeeeeaning up.

This was a 3 women break, Vos, Armitstead and Bastianelli. Then Vos kicked at 6km and dropped the two but Basta managed to bridge. A fast sprinter as a competitor, Vos was wary, but ended up blowing her away in the sprint. Armistead came in 1.5mins down and the rest of the field 2.5mins down.

03_11_12_euregio_924_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    1hr from Trofeo Binda 2012 (round 2 world cup)

Vos solos to victory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... H4t6YC5DCc
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ddp12st01-vos.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Broken collar-bone, still finishes second:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/broken- ... ne-for-vos

Nails!