MopedRadar.com?

124»

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im looking to buy a cheap motorbike (125)

something i can tinker with in my "man shed" i missed out on a KH125 which was seized on saturday

if anyone knows of any 125's being sold shout me a holla!!

Buy a proper bike from a proper manufacturer. Don't buy a Chinese copy of a Honda 125. A 2 week old Chinese one is worse than a 20 year old Japanese original.

oh yeah, there are loads of Kimco/ cowasssaki an stuff on ebay, all basically new but mysteriously broken

it seems there is a shortage of 125 bikes
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007
    Bought a bike!!

a CG125 1984, its a proper "do-a-upper" as it looks like its been left in a field for most of its life, let the rebuild commence!!
  • on day 2 of my new commute regime, some little rsole stole my moped. Need to go and pick it up from the car pound tomorrow.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    W2B that's really irritating. I hope it's not damaged. Years ago my CB125 was pinched and when it was recovered the scrotes had fixed some of the problems. They were still thieving little barstewards though.
    Muckyheifer; well done. Enjoy. Are the forks more spindly than those on a modern mountain bike?
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Muckyheifer; well done. Enjoy. Are the forks more spindly than those on a modern mountain bike?

funnily enough i think the forks on my hard tail are chunkier with way more travel!

talking of forks, the stanctions are a bit pitted so i need to sort that, they leak oil too, bummer!

i've christened it the "Taliban bike" as on them Afghan/ soldier shows it always shows Taliban "people" riding them...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    on day 2 of my new commute regime, some little rsole stole my moped. Need to go and pick it up from the car pound tomorrow.

Did it get stolen around Barbican? Just cos there's at least 3 fairly secure parking places nearby for bikes ( I'm thinking the space under London Wall, the NCP near the Tube, and another place near the meat-market area).

In other news, I've just booked my DAS for end of Feb, can't wait, but the power difference (and braking difference) from a 125 to a 500cc is immense, and scary!
  • veronese68
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

funnily enough i think the forks on my hard tail are chunkier with way more travel!

talking of forks, the stanctions are a bit pitted so i need to sort that, they leak oil too, bummer!

i've christened it the "Taliban bike" as on them Afghan/ soldier shows it always shows Taliban "people" riding them...
    How much are they leaking? If you fit fork gaiters the MOT tester isn't allowed to look under them. This only works if they are only weeping a little bit. If they are properly fubar'd you need to replace them, not that hard.
  • back on moped! only took 2 months from theft to insurance payout to replacement.

going to do a mix of bike + moped. 2 days cycling a week will give me 60 odd miles, plus swimming one day and spin bike / running on the others = plenty of exercise.

can anyone give me advice on using the a406 from woodford to hanger lane on a moped? is it pretty hairy? i am riding a 125....

I know this is a cycling forum, their just does not seem to be an obvious moped forum for london commuters out there....
  • veronese68
    Glad it's finally sorted.
    I reckon you'll be ok on the A406 on a 125, it should manage 50mph. You'll be better off when the traffic is a bit heavier as you should be passing the traffic rather than the traffic passing you. Presumably as you cycle and are on here asking the question you've got rather more road sense than the average numpty that jumps on a scooter and goes.
    Good luck with it.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Glad it's finally sorted.
    I reckon you'll be ok on the A406 on a 125, it should manage 50mph. You'll be better off when the traffic is a bit heavier as you should be passing the traffic rather than the traffic passing you. Presumably as you cycle and are on here asking the question you've got rather more road sense than the average numpty that jumps on a scooter and goes.
    Good luck with it.

what is worrying is the lack of places that scooter riders seem to have to discuss how to ride - unlike the multitude of sites there are for cyclists......

probably because cycling = lifestyle choice, moped = mode of transport
  • mudcow007
    here is my Taliban bike

cg125.jpg

looks a bit different to this now, plastics are all satin black as the tank will be soon

wheels are rusty, so i might just scratch all rust off etch prime then spray metallic silver or ride em rusty

i think i need to replace shockies too, they work but are a bit on the rusty side.

she seems to run OK (on choke)

its leaking oil from somewhere (ive took sprocket an clutch covers off an still cant find it)

needs all the lights wiring up as they have all been disconnected.

also the gear shifter had been welded on so i need to remove all the crap off the shaft an sort the splines out

im hoping for 2015 an she will hit the tarmac!
  • nich
    I have upgraded my scooter to a new weapon of choice. A 650 Kawasaki Versys! Vroooom....not got it yet, but pretty darn excited.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Question guys -

How long (and indeed which route?) would it take on a moped, 125 probably, to get from Kings Cross to Surbiton?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • veronese68
    okgo wrote:
    Question guys -

How long (and indeed which route?) would it take on a moped, 125 probably, to get from Kings Cross to Surbiton?
    Broadly similar time to what it would take on a bicycle. I'm usually quicker with an engine, but not by much. Your commute will have more traffic than mine, filtering is quicker on a bicycle so you may gain a little there. Add a bit of time for walking from your nearest motorcycle paking bay.
    Obviously depends on how you ride. I find engine size doesn't affect the average speed very much, with a small engine you try to keep your momentum. With a ridiculous amount of power you are happy to wait a bit, then launch to hyperspeed if there is a bit of room.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    But I could go down the A3 on a scooter which cuts about 5 miles off my distance and would be faster no?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • veronese68
    okgo wrote:
    But I could go down the A3 on a scooter which cuts about 5 miles off my distance and would be faster no?
    Yes, sorry. I wasn't thinking about the route, more about general differences in moving speed.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    then launch to hyperspeed
    Damn, I want a motorbike!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    They're addictive. My last bike had over 150bhp and was as fast as the Millenium Falcon, utterly ridiculous for a 6 mile urban commute. Bloody good fun though. Some bloke in an Audi S4 or something tried to burn me up off the lights, left him for dust. So I sold it, I'm now rebuilding a 44 year old Bonneville as I have no self control.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    They're addictive. My last bike had over 150bhp and was as fast as the Millenium Falcon, utterly ridiculous for a 6 mile urban commute. Bloody good fun though. Some bloke in an Audi S4 or something tried to burn me up off the lights, left him for dust. So I sold it, I'm now rebuilding a 44 year old Bonneville as I have no self control.

I remember when this thread first appeared, I started lusting over a Kawasaki ER6-F. I had a load of annual leave to take, so considered doing the DAS in a continuous week long course. But then I got a new job, so some of the leave got used up with that, and moved into a flat, so some of the potential bike money got used up there.

And now, everytime I drive to work (the traffic is worse than the old journey, not terrible, but not free flowing all the way), I park up and then walk past a shiny new ER6-n parked up outside the main building.......

Ms Bails has said she'd be happy for me to get one, but she wouldn't help me keep it secret from my dear mother! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I knew my mum wouldn't be happy with me riding a motorbike (if it can be called that, it was a Kawasaki AR50), so one day I just turned up at home with it.

As the saying goes, its easier to seek forgivness than permission.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nich
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I remember when this thread first appeared, I started lusting over a Kawasaki ER6-F. I had a load of annual leave to take, so considered doing the DAS in a continuous week long course. But then I got a new job, so some of the leave got used up with that, and moved into a flat, so some of the potential bike money got used up there.

And now, everytime I drive to work (the traffic is worse than the old journey, not terrible, but not free flowing all the way), I park up and then walk past a shiny new ER6-n parked up outside the main building.......

Ms Bails has said she'd be happy for me to get one, but she wouldn't help me keep it secret from my dear mother! :lol:

I pick up my Versys 650 tomorrow, which is like the ER6's big brother. Would definitely recommend the DAS, it's a whole lot of fun, but can get quite costly if you don't pass first time - which I didn't on mod1!
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    so considered doing the DAS in a continuous week long course.

thats what i plan to do after riding my Taliban bike around for a bit...

i dont know whether i will even like riding a motorbike on the road, so riding a 125 is a bit of a taster without shelling out shed loads