MopedRadar.com?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    bails87 wrote:
    Edit: Out of interest, roughly how much does it cost?
    I'm over 21, passed my (car) test after Feb 2001, so would need to apply for Cat A provisional bike license, then do the direct access?

How does insurance compare to a car? Do bikes get 100mpg?!

You only need Direct Access if you're going bigger than 125cc and don't want it restrcited - if you're staying at that you only need a CBT to ride for two years on L plates. If you pass on a 125 you can get a bigger bike and restrcit to 33hp - after two years you can take the restrictors out. If you want to go full unrestricted, if you get some experience on the 125 (I had one for four months) you shouldn't need a full DA course so don't let the school push you into one. I had two half days training and got through on that. Rules are changing soon though (yet again) so may be worth doing sooner rather than later - test centres are also quieter this time of year for some reason!

125 - I got 100mpg+
    Er6f - I still get 60mpg on the commute, down to 50-55 if I'm riding more 'enthusiatically' at the weekend :lol:
    Insurance of the 650 for me is £16o fully comp but I'm over 40 so qualify for old git insuarance (even though I've only had my bike licence for 15 months)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I got an insurance quote a few months back on a Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 like i had just literally passed my DAS an that came out at £160 per year 3rd party i'm 28 but having been driving cars for over 8 years

i like the idea of something small like a 125 though. I would probably but it as a wreck an try an fix it....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow007 wrote:
    I got an insurance quote a few months back on a Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 like i had just literally passed my DAS an that came out at £160 per year 3rd party i'm 28 but having been driving cars for over 8 years

i like the idea of something small like a 125 though. I would probably but it as a wreck an try an fix it....
    I did a test quote on a ER 6F (purdy bike!) which came out at £860 :shock: I'm already paying pretty much exactly that that on my car!
    I've got loads of annual leave left, a few days learning to ride a bike (I'd go for the full license) might be a way to use it up, otherwise I'll be going on holiday without the missus :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I did a test quote on a ER 6F (purdy bike!) which came out at £860 :shock: I'm already paying pretty much exactly that that on my car!
    I've got loads of annual leave left, a few days learning to ride a bike (I'd go for the full license) might be a way to use it up, otherwise I'll be going on holiday without the missus :lol:

sweet baby jesus thats alot isnt it??

i likes them alot, especially in snot green
  • bails87
    Yeah, but then I don't know if a 650cc bike is equivalent to a 5 litre V12 engined car :lol:

If I were to get a bike I'd want a 'proper' one, not a meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh moped-y thing. Not superbike stuff, just enough to be useful and not make an annoying noise all the time.
    MTB/CX

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    A 650cc motorbike will out accelerate just about any car on the road from a standing start. As speed goes up the differential is less. The motorbike will also feel a lot faster.
    They are addictive and whilst I am quite happy without one at the moment, I'll feel the urge soon enough. Actually I do still own a motorbike, it's just in lots of bits that need to be reintroduced to each other.
    An oldish 125 is a good idea for a short while but you will soon feel the urge to have a bit more. I believe things like the ER6 are very good as a first big bike. The fastest thing I've ever ridden was a race spec KTM Supermoto, absolutely insane up to about 60mph as it weighed about the same as my bicycle. I was happy to give it back after a week with my licence still in one piece.
  • when you have kids its preferable to spend as much of your morning routine time at home rather than at work IMO.

Strange,I find the opposite applies :D
    <a>road</a>
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Strange,I find the opposite applies

I'm obviously still in the honeymoon period!

Just a note on scooters - if you passed your driving test before Feb 2001 (I think) then you can ride a 50cc without doing a CBT and you dont need to have L plates and you can take a passenger.

If you ride a 125 (on a CBT) then you need L plates and cant take a passenger.

If you pass your full test then you dont need L plates and you can take a passenger on any bike.

I did the CBT - just because I wanted some experience before taking to the road - but bought a 50cc so I could take the missus on the back.

In terms of scooters v motorbikes... shall we all meet in Brighton and have it out?
  • mudcow007
    i think what i will do (if i can save up*) is get an older 125 something that's is hopefully reliable an simple so i can fiddle with it just use it on the days when i fancy a change an get of experience riding bikes

i think you are relatively safe on something like a 125 as they will only go about 60 flat out...down a hill.....with the wind behind you, unless you change sprockets etc

*we have recently bought a house so if i was to say to my Mrs i'm spending £1000 on leathers an doing my Das i think she would evict me
  • bails87
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A 650cc motorbike will out accelerate just about any car on the road from a standing start. As speed goes up the differential is less. The motorbike will also feel a lot faster.
    Ah yes, I knew that (0-60 something like 3.6 seconds, which is a hell of a lot quicker than any car I could buy andinsure for <£3k!), it was more about where it sits in the hierachy of bikes. Is that way too much for someone who's comfortable on two wheels, and has pootled about on scooters abroad? Or is it equivalent to a 1.8 diesel engined car? i.e. more than you'd necessarily expect a 17 year old new driver to have, but not crazy power? Or is it something that's fairly normal, for people to skip the CBT/125 thing and go straight onto a small/medium 'big' bike.
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    a 650cc will feel like you are riding the Nemesis.
  • mudcow007
    my brother who is only 5ft 5 bought a ZX6R spankingly new from a bike dealer (carnell's)

took it on the east lancs road (pretty straight dual carriage way that runs from from Liverpool to Manchester) he said he floored it an it was lifting (wheelies) in 1st 2nd and 3rd then his bottle went

when he took it back to be serviced he mentioned this an the guy said "ohh you shoudl have carried on it will lift all the way through 4th too"

my bro has been riding for years an said it was the scariest thing he has ridden

for scaring the pants off my self i think i would either get an Aprillia millie or a 'busa
  • bails87
    a 650cc will feel like you are riding the Nemesis.
    :lol:

Comapred to a 'pedal' bike? Even with my light weight and mighty thighs?

:oops:
    Maybe step down a rung or two then!
    MTB/CX

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sketchley wrote:
    Why not an electric bike. No license required, no tax or insurance. Can still use the bike lanes......

Edit: Electric bike would be around £1500 or so first year cost, then zero..... Just a thought

Nothing says tw@t quite like a grown man on an electric bike...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    To be fair, electric bikes are probably a great idea in Central London but pick wisely some look awful. Looking forward to Brompton releasing more details of the Project X electric brompton!

Right... CBT in a few hours, I'm crapping it, not ridden a motorised vehicle on the roads for over 2 years!
  • clarkey cat
    I did my CBT in Dalston and had to go around Old Street in rush hour on one of these...

It was frightening.

Honda_Zoomer_50cc_2008.JPG
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    iPete wrote:
    To be fair, electric bikes are probably a great idea in Central London but pick wisely some look awful. Looking forward to Brompton releasing more details of the Project X electric brompton!

Right... CBT in a few hours, I'm crapping it, not ridden a motorised vehicle on the roads for over 2 years!

Where are you doing it and how much does it cost?

I need to get mine booked.

electric bike? Sod that, I want a moped to give my legs a total rest not half use them
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iPete
    okgo wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Where are you doing it and how much does it cost?

I need to get mine booked.

electric bike? Sod that, I want a moped to give my legs a total rest not half use them

http://www.betterbiking.net/

They are doing a 'winter sale', £89 all inc. way over by Heathrow. Much cheaper than everywhere else that wanted 120-150 with bike hire etc.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I have a Vespa ET2 that I rarely use, because I tend to use the bike a lot more, but is dead handy for doing the shopping (with a very large backpack) or runs where I don't want to arrive sweaty.

It is limited to 30mph, but will do up to 40 according to the speedo, has been very low maintenance, a tank of fuel is about £6 now, you have to top up every now and then with oil (not a problem with the ET4), has an underseat storage thing and is fun to ride.

You can ride it on a driver's licence if you are over a certain age, but if you have never ridden a motorbike, I would suggest you do a CBT - it is quite educational and gives some confidence. Did mine in Wimbledon - near the Greyhound Track.

Insurance is about £150 for the year - TPFT, road tax is a tenner.

I wear a decent helmet, a proper jacket and legs (especially if it is raining) and gloves are important - especially if it is cold.

Compared to the bike - it is probably about the same, maybe a bit quicker on a commute through the centre of London.

I wish someone would invent a bike holder that fits to it so I could scoot to races and not knacker myself out getting there!
  • mudcow007
    mroli wrote:

I wish someone would invent a bike holder that fits to it so I could scoot to races and not knacker myself out getting there!

on the Mudcows mountain biking video there is a scooter with a mountain bike mounted on the rear seat of the scooter with the back wheel of the mtb on the road if that makes sense?

i will see if i can find a pic
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The Er6f is a good first big bike - that said, I don't think I'll need anything more powerful. As already said 0-60 is around 3.5 seconds (if you can stop the front wheel lifting), but even without giving it anywhere near full throttle, nothing (apart from bigger bikes) beats me away from lights :D
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • iPete
    mroli wrote:

You can ride it on a driver's licence if you are over a certain age, but if you have never ridden a motorbike, I would suggest you do a CBT - it is quite educational and gives some confidence.

This is the case if you passed your driving test before some date in 2000.

Best start my cycle to my CBT!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    nicklouse wrote:

Ha. Nearly, very nearly clicked on that.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • clarkey cat
    I think its Feb 2001.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ah yes, I knew that (0-60 something like 3.6 seconds, which is a hell of a lot quicker than any car I could buy andinsure for <£3k!), it was more about where it sits in the hierachy of bikes. Is that way too much for someone who's comfortable on two wheels, and has pootled about on scooters abroad? Or is it equivalent to a 1.8 diesel engined car? i.e. more than you'd necessarily expect a 17 year old new driver to have, but not crazy power? Or is it something that's fairly normal, for people to skip the CBT/125 thing and go straight onto a small/medium 'big' bike.
    There are sports 600cc bikes that are ridiculous as a first big bike and there are more staid 650s that are fine. Something like the ER6 is supoosed to be quite user friendly and you'll be fine. When you first start out you won't use full throttle or max revs and it'll feel fast. As you get used to it you'll use more of the available power and it will be enough to keep you happy for some considerable time. Should you feel the need for more after a year or so then you can upgrade. This is probably the most sensible bike for someone like me, but sensible isn't what we want.
    Sports 600's are completely inappropriate for a relative novice. Everything about them sucks you into going faster, no power low down and loads of revs are needed. Great fun, but not for a novice.
    The ER6 is kind of like a 2 litre car. A bit quicker than bog stock, but not too much.
    My bike in bits is a 650, an old Triumph Bonneville. It's 3 weeks older than I am. I hope to finish it for this summer, and if my wife doesn't have a job I'll have to sell it. It may be 43 years old but it's still faster than most cars, and practical enough to use every day. I had one before and used it to commute for 5 years, got funny looks riding it in the snow. It was quick enough to give a few modern sports bikes a shock.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    iPete wrote:
    mroli wrote:

You can ride it on a driver's licence if you are over a certain age, but if you have never ridden a motorbike, I would suggest you do a CBT - it is quite educational and gives some confidence.

This is the case if you passed your driving test before some date in 2000.

Best start my cycle to my CBT!

I thought everyone had to have CBT or a bike license now?

Edit: Just checked, if you passed test before 1 Feb 2001 you do not need a CBT to ride a moped. Moped being defined as "A moped has a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (approx. 31 miles per hour). It has an engine up to 50 cubic centimetres (cc)."

Apparently electric scoots count as moped so can be ridden on standard driving licence (before 2001) and look cheaper to run than petrol versions http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/leisu ... 3-MSG.aspx
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    There are sports 600cc bikes that are ridiculous as a first big bike and there are more staid 650s that are fine. Something like the ER6 is supoosed to be quite user friendly and you'll be fine. When you first start out you won't use full throttle or max revs and it'll feel fast. As you get used to it you'll use more of the available power and it will be enough to keep you happy for some considerable time. Should you feel the need for more after a year or so then you can upgrade. This is probably the most sensible bike for someone like me, but sensible isn't what we want.
    Sports 600's are completely inappropriate for a relative novice. Everything about them sucks you into going faster, no power low down and loads of revs are needed. Great fun, but not for a novice.
    The ER6 is kind of like a 2 litre car. A bit quicker than bog stock, but not too much.
    Thanks for that, very helpful. My commute at the moment is a mix of 30 to 60mph roads, or the motorway, which is why something limited to 31mph/50kph would be no good.

Also, I've had the terror of being stuck on the worng side of the road during an overtake in an underpowered car, and if I got stuck behind someone doing 30 on a NSL* and the (entriely hypothetical!) bike couldn't get me past safely then I'd be stuck behind them for the whole journey.

*This happens annoyingly often!
    MTB/CX

• discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    a word of warning to anyone looking at the mp3 scoots.
    if your looking for a 2nd hand one make sure that the servo motor (the bit that controls the tilt and lock on the front end) is not f***ked. this is a fairly common fault and its £1200 + to repair.

i cycle most of the time but i do love the option to be able to jump on the scooter / sportsbike when its hammering down or freezing so i can be home that little bit quicker, i would say its 20 mins quicker into town by scooter than cycling. also with the topbox on the scooter we can get most of the shopping stuffed in there and under the seat.
    i also find it hilarious the look of shocki get from some cyclists when im on the scooter and slow down to let them in or give them room to filter.

fuel on the 11 mile commute is £9 per week tax is £16 per year and to insure it costs me £75 per year. it really costs me bugger all to use.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • mudcow007
    a 125 would go faster than 31 legally

well if your over 21 with a full driving license an you do a CBT