MopedRadar.com?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    bails87 wrote:
    Thanks for that, very helpful. My commute at the moment is a mix of 30 to 60mph roads, or the motorway, which is why something limited to 31mph/50kph would be no good.

You can ride a 125cc on the Motorway, but only if you have a full licence - don't know whether I'd want to risk it though
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :lol:

Just passed both online practice theory tests, 47/50 on both. Not bad with no prep at all.....hmmmmm.

The thing is, I've got more important things to save my money for/spend it on than a motorbike I don't need.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Damn you all, you've got me thinking again now!!!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've got more important things to save my money for/spend it on than a motorbike I don't need.

Like a pushbike that you don't need?
  • Slow Downcp
    bails87 wrote:

Just passed both online practice theory tests, 47/50 on both. Not bad with no prep at all.....hmmmmm.

The thing is, I've got more important things to save my money for/spend it on than a motorbike I don't need.

I didn't need mine. Sometimes, what you want is more important than what you need :twisted:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Slow Downcp
    prawny wrote:
    Damn you all, you've got me thinking again now!!!

Go on, do it - If you still go over Barr Beacon on the commute I'll keep an eye out for you :D
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bails87 wrote:

**edit**

i thought you meant the real one ahhhhh, its been a long day
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    I've got more important things to save my money for/spend it on than a motorbike I don't need.

Like a pushbike that you don't need?
    Exactly :lol:

The only 'saving' would be in fuel, vs a diesel car that averages 50mpg and gets me to work on a fairly traffic free route in comfort, when I'm not on the bike. No real time savings, unless I compare it to the bike, in which case I could just drive instead!

As said though, it's not always about what you need...
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    Ohmygod.

Mountainbiker. He's a mountainbiker. Everybody OUT.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    We've got you surrounded...
  • bails87
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What are you gonna do? Shave my legs?!

I'll just say "hello", that seems to scare most roadies! :twisted:
    MTB/CX

• clarkey cat
    Shave my legs?!

think we'll stop there...?
  • veronese68
    bails87 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What are you gonna do? Shave my legs?!

I'll just say "hello", that seems to scare most roadies! :twisted:
    Should have quoted CC, I meant he was surrounded. I have an MTB and a CX for commuting, couldn't quite make the leap to a full on road bike.
    If you want to shave your legs though that's fine by me, just don't post any pictures.
    we should definitely stop now.
  • clarkey cat
    I've seen your CX. You rode right over a flailing hybrid rider like a monster truck. I saw it with mine own eyes.
  • veronese68
    I've seen your CX. You rode right over a flailing hybrid rider like a monster truck. I saw it with mine own eyes.
    If I'd had a reverse gear I'd have gone back for more.
  • bails87
    :lol: I fear we've gone slightly off topic.

Did you pass the CBT iPete?
    MTB/CX

• discurio wrote:
    a word of warning to anyone looking at the mp3 scoots.
    if your looking for a 2nd hand one make sure that the servo motor (the bit that controls the tilt and lock on the front end) is not f***ked. this is a fairly common fault and its £1200 + to repair.

i cycle most of the time but i do love the option to be able to jump on the scooter / sportsbike when its hammering down or freezing so i can be home that little bit quicker, i would say its 20 mins quicker into town by scooter than cycling. also with the topbox on the scooter we can get most of the shopping stuffed in there and under the seat.
    i also find it hilarious the look of shocki get from some cyclists when im on the scooter and slow down to let them in or give them room to filter.

fuel on the 11 mile commute is £9 per week tax is £16 per year and to insure it costs me £75 per year. it really costs me bugger all to use.

11 miles = 20 minutes quicker? sounds good. 16 miles should be 25 minutes.

My quickest ever for 16 miles on bike = 55 minutes stopping at lights, so I could expect to hit 40 minutes with confidence doing Hammersmith to Woodford?

I have just spoken to a mate and had a result. He has a spare scooter - a 50 CC vespa, will lend me jacket & gloves and add me to his insurance.....and let me borrow it for a while to see if it suits me!

Nice one.

Just need to do my CBT.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Jammy git.

I need to get a CBT booked up asap.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Just do it !

Everything you need to know is here http://www.geton.co.uk/content/getting-started
    Misguided Idealist
  • okgo wrote:
    Jammy git.

It is a bit jammy......but not going to look a gift horse in the face!

Anyone know of a place to do a CBT on a sunday?
  • Slow Downcp
    okgo wrote:
    Jammy git.

It is a bit jammy......but not going to look a gift horse in the face!

Anyone know of a place to do a CBT on a sunday?

Most training schools will run CBT's at weekends (although not every weekend). Look for a one man operation if need be rather than a larger school, as they may not be booked up so far in advance.
  • okgo
    The temptation to buy a new piaggio zip 50 for 0% is strong. Worried it would be too slow though. And I don't want to pay 2 grand for a 125!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Don't do it, get a hack. If you like it you'll wish you spent 2 grand on a motorbike!

CBT training done today, was an eye opener being in another mode of transport. I'm steering clear of scooters on my bike!! With a full face helmet you don't have the same awareness you have on a bike, it was so weird, forgot what blind sports were like! Kept on the left side of the road like a cyclist!

On a side note, the standard of people that got certificates was a little scary!

woodford, try these guys, they are probably fully booked though, doing a bargain price at the moment:
    http://www.westlondonmotorbiketraining.com/
  • veronese68
    iPete is right, helmets cause blind spots and any fool can pass a CBT.
    Also OKGO is right, don't blow too much on a new 50 that will instantly depreciate. Buy a used 125 that you can sell for what you paid, if not more if you time things right. I'm a tightwad, trust me on that last point.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Veronese68 wrote:
    iPete is right, helmets cause blind spots and any fool can pass a CBT.
    Also OKGO is right, don't blow too much on a new 50 that will instantly depreciate. Buy a used 125 that you can sell for what you paid, if not more if you time things right. I'm a tightwad, trust me on that last point.

Well, you say that, but one guy on our training sesh didn't make it through, at least not that day :D
  • okgo
    iPete wrote:
    Don't do it, get a hack. If you like it you'll wish you spent 2 grand on a motorbike!

CBT training done today, was an eye opener being in another mode of transport. I'm steering clear of scooters on my bike!! With a full face helmet you don't have the same awareness you have on a bike, it was so weird, forgot what blind sports were like! Kept on the left side of the road like a cyclist!

On a side note, the standard of people that got certificates was a little scary!

woodford, try these guys, they are probably fully booked though, doing a bargain price at the moment:

They are not booked up, and are taking bookings.

HOWEVER there is a £60 deal on groupon today only that is offering cbts in Chigwell area, too far for me, but might work for some of you?
  • okgo wrote:
    iPete wrote:

They are not booked up, and are taking bookings.

HOWEVER there is a £60 deal on groupon today only that is offering cbts in Chigwell area, too far for me, but might work for some of you?

have you got a link to the groupon deal? I can't find it.....admittedly a Groupon virgin...

thanks.
  • Completed my CBT yesterday & have all the kit. Getting insured today and just need a time to pick up the moped.

All I need now is a bit of confidence on it (cycling really helps with regrads road positioning etc) and a few journeys under my belt.

Can't wait. Really enjoyed it when out on the road - but a bit wary of commuting in heavy traffic.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im looking to buy a cheap motorbike (125)

something i can tinker with in my "man shed" i missed out on a KH125 which was seized on saturday

if anyone knows of any 125's being sold shout me a holla!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im looking to buy a cheap motorbike (125)

something i can tinker with in my "man shed" i missed out on a KH125 which was seized on saturday

if anyone knows of any 125's being sold shout me a holla!!

Buy a proper bike from a proper manufacturer. Don't buy a Chinese copy of a Honda 125. A 2 week old Chinese one is worse than a 20 year old Japanese original.