MopedRadar.com?

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I am going to the dark side and am going to change to using a moped. Anyone else here do this for some of their journies? Any one use one of those Piaggio 3 wheelers you can ride on a car licence?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    okgo was threatening to get one when I chatted to him at the weekend...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Came close to getting hit by one of those 3-wheeler things earlier today near Parson's Green. Guy riding it was a bit of a pr*ck.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Yes. I have a Vespa LX50.
    Its great fun... especially going up behind cyclists and revving (joke).

You can get around so quickly too now there are so many cycle lanes you can ride in (joke).

I'm probably going to sell it though to fund some carbon lushness though so let me know if you're interested. It's a tiny bit battered from general London use though. It has 'character'.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Never ridden one of those 3 wheelers, but can see the appeal of extra front end grip in slippery conditions. I've had a full bike licence for over 20 years and find mopeds a bit scary. I think it's the small wheels make them feel a bit twitchy. I'd be tempted to get one of the ones with larger wheels.
    The last one I rode was a truly evil little Peugeot thing for the EPO. She didn't like it so I rode it for a bit before getting shot of it. She didn't like the feel of the way the centrifugal clutch worked and so never felt confident on it.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Questions for those who've used these things to commute in anger:
    1. How much should you budget for a basic but reliable, used moped?
    2. How does average speed compare with cycling over a typical commute?
    3. Does it end up being anoying, that you can't filter as easily as you're used to when cycling, can't use cycle lanes etc?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im very much tempted in buying a 125cc bike at the moment

something pretty old like a Honda CG 125

but i think if i bought a bike i wouldn't cycle as much.....an for that reason im out
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • did some digging about at lunchtime from work today

The Piaggio MP3 LT variant is the model to look for if interested in riding without doing a CBT or licence.

Do not seem to be too many for sale second hand - but they are pricey when new > £5K for the latest offering....could get a secondhand one plus kit for approx £3.5-4K

Doing a CBT and getting a two wheeler would probably cost about £2K all in for the first year, with insurance & kit. Probably less.

But the MP3 seems to have lots of arguments in its favour in additon to the licence element. More wheels = more grip & more brakes & more stability.

You can get 1 hour free sessions of scooters via www.geton.co.uk - I will do one of those and then see how I get on.

(no pun intended)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Why not an electric bike. No license required, no tax or insurance. Can still use the bike lanes......

Edit: Electric bike would be around £1500 or so first year cost, then zero..... Just a thought
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    To try and answer both of the above posts;
    TGOTB, I found commuting on a motorbike not much quicker than using a bicycle and my commute is from Kingston to Feltham so less traffic than going into London. The reason is the route is slightly shorter on a bicycle as you can take a more direct route and you can filter more easily on a bicycle. Peak speed is of mourse much higher on a motorbike, but average is about the same. That was on a 1200cc motorbike, on a moped it would be even worse and I suspect average speed on a bicycle may wind up higher.
    I also found on a moped I would take more risks than I did on a powerful motorbike as it too so long to get back up to speed. On a bicycle I do not take the same risks because the bicycle is smaller and more manouverable than the moped.
    In answer to MuckyHeifer, I sold the motorbike because I didn't use it enough and I wanted to cycle. If you buy a motorbike you will be tempted to use it when you could cycle. I certainly did and that added a reason to sell it.
    I would rather ride a CG125 than a moped, bigger wheels and gears.

Edit: it was in answer to the 2 preceding posts but pesky customers on the phone mean others got in before I finished typing.
  • clarkey cat
    1. How much should you budget for a basic but reliable, used moped?
    2. How does average speed compare with cycling over a typical commute?
    3. Does it end up being anoying, that you can't filter as easily as you're used to when cycling, can't use cycle lanes etc?

1. I suppose about a grand.
    2. I commute from Walton to WC1 - Vespa takes 1 hr. Bike takes 1hr 15.
    3. Not really. I find I progress through traffic about the same speed as when on my roadbike.

The reason I want to sell mine is that I think 1hr on a Vespa is just too long. I get cold and a bit bored!
    Also, I used to take the missus on the back and we would go all over London on it, visiting friends, going for dinner etc. but we have a kid now so I don't really use it anymore.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    TGOTB wrote:

I bought a Kawasaki Er6 (650cc motorbike, not moped), just over a year ago and filtering is no different. If anything it's easier as there's still room between two lines of traffic to ride between and cars move out of your way more. Also easier to get out of trouble should anyone decide they want to move across you.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • My journey is 16 miles each way. Factor in changing time and getting collared on the way out of the office and it takes me 1hr30 desk to door. Which in the winter is too long.

I did the journey all summer but packed it in when it got dark as it was too long, too boring and generally demoralising.

I expect the 16 miles on a moped will take me 1hr desk to door.

I recognise the liklihood that I will not commute by bike when I have the moped option open - I will just have to start exercising another way and hopefully get some weekend rides as my kids get older.

After 6 years commuting by bike I feel the need for a break but still detest the tube. So looks like the moped or "triped" is going to be the best option for a while.
  • clarkey cat
    Woodford: my commute is 20 miles and I honestly find it easier to get on the bike and ride than to layer up and scoot. It gets BLOOMIN' cold out there when you aren't generating any of your own heat.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Woodford: my commute is 20 miles and I honestly find it easier to get on the bike and ride than to layer up and scoot. It gets BLOOMIN' cold out there when you aren't generating any of your own heat.

I find it easier - RST textiles over work clothes, heated grips and no problems with the cold. Two minutes to get changed at each end.

Summer takes a bit longer when the leathers come out, but even then still quicker as no need for showers etc
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I will probably end up buying one, not to save time, but to save my legs. If you want to race at the weekend then I find you need to have a couple of rest days, and the train for me is £16 per day so a scooter will pay for itself fairly soon. Plus I'll have an asset at the end of it.

My commute is 17-18 miles, takes me 1.20 from leaving my house to getting to my desk after a shower. I reckon If I could make the same time without the shower bit it would be fine. ANYTHING is better than the underground.

the question is though, would I follow my cycle route on a moped...surbiton > Kings Cross
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited January 2012
    I'd like a motorbike, my 15 mile commute is just a bit much for me to do every day on the bike. Thing is I 'need' the car for moving the MTB around, so I'd have all three.

My commute is mostly open country roads so a motorbike wouldn't be significantly quicker than the car, but it would probably be a bit more fun. It would be a lot of (unnecessary) money to spend though, but it's something I'd like to do at some point.

Edit: Out of interest, roughly how much does it cost?
    I'm over 21, passed my (car) test after Feb 2001, so would need to apply for Cat A provisional bike license, then do the direct access?

How does insurance compare to a car? Do bikes get 100mpg?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    the question is though, would I follow my cycle route on a moped...surbiton > Kings Cross

A3, Wandsworth, Nine Elms, Waterloo, Strand Underpass, Southampton Row, KX.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Have my CBT tomorrow as I plan on getting insured on my house mates! Although I'm only getting it so I can go swimming before cycling to work. Wouldn't make sense to try and drive onto into central London, take the same time as Clarkey.
  • veronese68
    Motorbikes are a LOT of fun. It's hard to get anything useful below a grand. You need to budget for decent safety gear. Helmet and gloves are absolutely essential, never ride without either. It does get cold so a good jacket to keep the wind out. Leather is still the best for protection but not so good in the wet. Some of the textile jackets are pretty good for protection and are better in the rain. Get some decent overtrousers with protection that you can where over your work clothes. Decent boots to protect your ankles, don''t have to be motorcycle specific but I have worn through the tops of other boots with the gear shift before now.
    I'd still recommend a proper motorbike, even if a 125 over a moped.
    If anyone needs training in the SW area needs a CBT or some other training let me know as a friend of mine is setting up a training school having been laid off a while ago. He's fully qualified and all that and is now qualified to instruct instructors. I may even be able to swing you a bit of discount, but I'd best talk to him first.
  • @clarkey cat
    I did a 20 mile round trip for most of the last 6 years and never wanted to not do it. but in the last 6 months I have been doing 32 miles and finding it hard to motivate for. Especially when doing it every day.

I now time saving does not appear much, but getting home at 6.30 instead of 7 means I can see my kids before they go to bed, and also i can leave later in the morning and still get to work on time.

Honda are doing 0% finance on some of their range.

I could sell one of my bikes and fund ht estart up cost of a moped, CBT and the kit and take on a monthly outgoing similar to the tube fare.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/offe ... ets-ahead/
  • clarkey cat
    Leaving later and getting home earlier is definitely true.

I can shower at home, arse around with the littl'un and have a bowl of shreddies - leave the house at 8.30 and I'm at my desk at 9.30 on the scooter. Then leaving at 6, I'm home at 7 in time for a quick chat and laugh with the boy.

On the pushbike I have to leave at 7.30 (so usually not seeing the kid) in order to guarantee being at work at 9 - and then showers etc. takes me up 9.30. Leaving at 6 won't get me back until 7.30... I then have to de-lycra and shower and by the time I'm sat down to my tea its 8pm - and the kids asleep.
  • sketchley
    Serious question, why not an electric bike? Cheaper and probably does the job just as well. You can even buy one on C2W and save the tax.....
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    they look ghey
  • sketchley
    ahem so do these

SMALL_pink_moped.jpg

pink+moped2.jpg
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    the one at the bottom does but the top one looks quite cool.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Serious question, why not an electric bike? Cheaper and probably does the job just as well. You can even buy one on C2W and save the tax.....
    Can't see that it is going to be any quicker - will still need to shower and change at work, you still have to pedal don't you?

The saving of changing time will represent about 50% of what I would gain. Gaining time is all that is driving this tbh, whilst I hate the tuibe I can bear it although it is miserable.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    Can't see that it is going to be any quicker - will still need to shower and change at work, you still have to pedal don't you?

The saving of changing time will represent about 50% of what I would gain. Gaining time is all that is driving this tbh, whilst I hate the tuibe I can bear it although it is miserable.

Fair enough. Yes you still have to pedal with an electric bike but not as much, it charges when going down hill or pedalling on the flat and uses power uphill. I've got to ask but does having a shower and changing actually cost you any time? I don't shower when I get up and then shower at work net effect is zero compared to PT when I would shower before setting off. Rough example, either I get up at 7am shave, clean teeth then shower and change before walking to station, catching a train and tube and then getting to my desk at 9am, or I get up at 7am get shave and clean teeth, put on bike gear, get bike out and leave about 7.30, I then arrive at work at 8.35 shower and change and get to my desk at 9am. I also save time as I no longer spend at the gym as I don't need to go any more.
    --
    Chris

• clarkey cat
    when you have kids its preferable to spend as much of your morning routine time at home rather than at work IMO.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I have a 125 Honda PCX which I've been running since April last year. Great little thing, love it to pieces.

It costs me literally nothing to run in fuel - If I was to commute mon-fri (12 miles each way) it would cost me just under £7 a week (full tank).

I cycle most days, but it's useful and much more fun than the train (and way cheaper). Tons of room for shopping too.

I wouldn't have any other scooter, it's faaaaaaaab :)

Main problem in London is parking - Luckily my office has a small private underground carpark with 24/7 access. Before that,I used the carpark under the London Wall which has plenty of room and good security.

I wouldn't leave my scooter in the parking bays though, if it doesn't get nicked, it's likely to get scratched/shoved-about by other motorcyclists when finding a space :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    bails87 wrote:
    Edit: Out of interest, roughly how much does it cost?
    I'm over 21, passed my (car) test after Feb 2001, so would need to apply for Cat A provisional bike license, then do the direct access?

How does insurance compare to a car? Do bikes get 100mpg?!

My 125 was about £2.3k (new)

Insurance is around £400 annually for me fully comp - should come down *a lot* I hope after I take my full licence, and get a few years under my belt. For example I looked at a CB500, and it was £300. I imagine/hope after a few years it would be £200 or less.

I get around 120MPG, so petrol costs are cheap - it depends how you ride though, being smooth on throttle/braking saves lots of £££ :)

Then your'll have the usual road-tax & service/mot costs.

Don't forgot protection - helmet/jacket/gloves/trousers/boots. I got the helmet/jacket/gloves thrown in when I got the bike, so spent around £40 on some boots.

I think a direct access course is around £500-£800 depending on how many days you end up needing (4-7ish), but that should include everything.

You could of course just keep renewing a CBT every 2 years, but you're limited to a 125 and can't use motorways - plus if you go long distances on fast roads, doing 50/60mph on a 125 with small wheels gets a bit hairy.