Chain Reaction Cycles - Your Honest Opinion

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
So having been a CRC customer a fair number of times i have noticed the service going downhill, and rapidly.

I hear people complaining about
-the amount of time to process/deliver products that are "in stock" (Personal experience)
-Items being dispatched that never arrive only to have a replacement offered very easily
-items arriving damaged including Complete Bikes, Helmets etc etc (Personal experience)
-Lack of communication through the customer service centre

The World's Largest Online Bikestore - whats your honest opinion of them?

This isnt about just bitching about them, praise is definately welcome as i have, in the past, had good service.

Is it time to Blame CRC and not blame Wiggle? :D

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've never had a problem, they must hate you!

In fact their tech help person was very helpful when I did something stupid and tried to make something work that wouldn't :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the two times when I've had incorrect items sent to me they've told me to keep them and issued a credit on one and replacement on the other but their boxes they use are a PITA but they do make it easier to find my packages when I go to the sorting office to collect them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Customer since 2005. Only had a couple of problems and they were quickly resolved.

Often buy the same thing in different sizes/colours, keep one and send the rest back. Always quick to refund.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    This is what i was lloking for, some reassurances that they are actually a good company and the current state is a blip!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Put in over sixty orders from ChainReaction over the last three years, four or five over the last couple of weeks. Ordered over a grand worth of stuff once and when it didn't turn up they sent me it all again (RoyalMail finally found the first lot and ChainReaction told me to keep it, allowing me to built a complete spare Carbon fibre bike for nothing).

However. The last few orders over the last few weeks have been a complete bitch. Seriously. I've had to get in contact with them every time and chase up orders which they had either lost, claimed to have sent or stated they had in stock when it wasn't.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    guys you seem to be forgetting silly season is upon us...

it's that time of year were everyone has to get out clog up the roads make shopping centres and super markets stupidly busy.. and clog up the mail order net works to...

i been a crc customer for the last 5-6 years they always been good.. how ever on my last order i did have a part missing that i had been charged for,, i cintacted them and it was sent out right away...

i would hope the problems that people seem to be encountering are becasue of the busy period....
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    bails87 wrote:
    I've never had a problem, they must hate you!

In fact their tech help person was very helpful when I did something stupid and tried to make something work that wouldn't :lol:

X2 they have only been late with one order and ive used them around 40 times in the past 2 years.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Kaise wrote:
    -Items being dispatched that never arrive only to have a replacement offered very easily

I usually complain when items never arrive and then the company drags their heels over sending a replacement! It should be offered quickly and easily, does them credit this.

TBH I think CRC aren't quite as good as they were, but then, they used to be very very good- their free post service was as fast as Wiggle's paid-for premium service most of the time, frinstance. Now it's a wee bit slow, but it's still free.

I could be wrong but I suspect paypal orders ship slower than credit card orders? Does seem that my paypal orders almost always take 1 day longer. Don't know why, but it could explain why so many people are getting slower deliveries- lots of people don't trust them with credit cards any more.

Always been happy with replacements and warranty turnarounds too- 2 days was all it took for my Mmmbop, that's very good.

All in all... Their prices are good, their delivery timescales are reasonable, and their service can be great. Good shop.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    I bought a bike for my girlfriend and second ride out she bent one of the gears on the chainset (maybe user error!?). They replaced the chainset with a much better one and paid for my local shop to fit it. Only slight gripe is that it took 3 days for a reply but aside from that I have been VERY impressed with the level of service. Will be buying everything from them in the future.
  • I've used them quite a few times and the one time I did have a problem, not down to them but the product received, they sorted it quickly and where very helpful.

They now offer free returns which is nice as well!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/News ... ewsID=1991
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Used them lots, never any problems.
    Closest thing was a new rear mech that fell apart after 30 miles. There were no significant delays anywhere in the process, although at first they (perhaps reasonably) claimed that it must have been my fault. I persisted, and after a bit I received a rather disappointing £2 refund from them - I sent a strongly worded email only to get the polite reply that my replacement mech was on its way, and the £2 was for my postage! :oops:
  • I could be wrong but I suspect paypal orders ship slower than credit card orders? Does seem that my paypal orders almost always take 1 day longer. Don't know why, but it could explain why so many people are getting slower deliveries- lots of people don't trust them with credit cards any more.

i believe that is correct, paypal orders do tend to ship slower than credit card ones.

For me personally i find CRC very good and only have good things to say about them.
    Had to phone them up once and the irish guy on the other end was very polite and helpfull,more than other online bike shops..

as others have said its christmas so things are very slow with Royal Mail atm so hopefully it get better
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • I have used CRC probably about 60 times in the last 2 years and have had nothing but excellent CS all round. There was an issue once with payment but I think that was PP that had messed up.

I have never received any wrong or damaged products. A couple of times orders have turned up and have been informed beforehand, that the items were OOS and they gave me no minimum spend credit. Can't say fairer than that really.

I have used other sites that funnily enough all begin with W! WHS - terrible - never again - sell sub standard / used / returns as new!!! - WD - not great and Wge - fair enough price but not great quality.

CRC, M&M and The Book People are my top rated experience of Internet shopping and wouldn't hesitate to reccommend them. IMO price and service has been exemplary. Tesco, Currys, Argos - shocking!!

I think it might be a blip but also take into account that The Royal Mail is an utter joke nowadays.

I remember a time when we used to get our mail in the morning and a second delivery in the afternoon. We are lucky if we get one delivery at between 12-2PM now. Do posties not work in the morning anymore?

I also remember a time when paying for 1st class post it got there the next day or in 2 working days. That doesn't happen now. Posted my old dear a birthday card that didn't arrive until a week later!! No Saturday deliveries for first class. If any company needed a kick up the ass and needed to be privatised this is it.

Oh - wait a second - it is isn't it?! Time of year? - My arse. This happens all the time with them. If all the people could actually claim off them for their "guaranteed" delivery service that didn't turn up on time this company would go belly up overnight. A shambles..
  • For me personally i find CRC very good and only have good things to say about them.
    Had to phone them up once and the irish guy on the other end was very polite and helpfull,more than other online bike shops..

as others have said its christmas so things are very slow with Royal Mail atm so hopefully it get better

I have only had to phone them up a couple of times. And the fact that the guy was Irish subliminally made me think of Phonejacker - which didn't help! But the guy was excellent and very helpful. I don't think Phonejacker helped people get over their stereotypes lol!
  • Personally I cant fault them as good as Wiggle and always a fast delivery, thumbs up from me
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I work for a delivery company, service always goes downlhill around this time.

I've had plenty of ordrs from them and they are always very good.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I have found CRC to be very slow and very unhelpful of late.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've only ordered from them since 2009, but every single order has been late delivery despite in-stock and "ships same day" promises. Doesn't matter what time of year.

Varies between 3 days at best (expected because of where they are) and the more typical 7 to 14 days. I've had to prompt them a couple of times to kick it out the door.

Basically I just assume if I want something very cheap, and can wait a couple of weeks, I may order from CRC especially as they carry more items than anyone else. If I need it by the weekend, even if ordering at the beginning of the week, forget it. Have learnt to never use next day delivery options also as they take even longer to dispatch!

Once they actually ship the thing, deliveries are generally fine and had no problem with the products ordered.

Other than that they're generally fine though navigating the categories on the site can be a pain, and headline prices always being the size you don't want or isn't in stock is annoying.

Main thing really is I see no point in the same day shipping promise as it never happens and it makes you think you might get it next day which is rubbish.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Always had quick deliveries, no mistakes and the odd thing I've sent back has been credited quickly.
    Only thing I don't like is finding bargains only to discover they are xxxxxxxxxxxxxsmall or xxxxxxultralarge.
    First place I always look along with Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I remember a time when we used to get our mail in the morning and a second delivery in the afternoon. We are lucky if we get one delivery at between 12-2PM now. Do posties not work in the morning anymore?

2nd deliveries to residential addresses were binned a few years back- to be fair, it made no sense to do 2 rounds of the same street every day. But most deliveries are still in the morning, nationally.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666 wrote:

I've just had a similar experience. Only ordered from them once before, a couple of years ago, with no problem. Thought i'd try them again, but this time it took two weeks for my order to turn up (an instock jacket), and after three emails to them too. It wasn't until the last email where i asked for them to cancel my order did i then get an email saying it had been despatched. Coincidence? I'll stick with Wiggle from now on, never had any issues with them.
  • Ordered some aero bars yesterday evening, I have opted for the parcel force 24hr delivery. Still says processing on the site but I have had this before and they have been dispatched and the status has just not been changed. Guess I will find out tomorrow though!
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    cooldad wrote:
    Only thing I don't like is finding bargains only to discover they are xxxxxxxxxxxxxsmall or xxxxxxultralarge.

second that

Worth remembering that its just not possible to get it right 100% of the time. No company is perfect but CRC have always been very good for me. And yes, silly season is here so be patient!

Merlin are the ones that have really taken a tumble lately in my opinion.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    I've only ordered from them since 2009, but every single order has been late delivery despite in-stock and "ships same day" promises. Doesn't matter what time of year.

Varies between 3 days at best (expected because of where they are) and the more typical 7 to 14 days. I've had to prompt them a couple of times to kick it out the door.

Basically I just assume if I want something very cheap, and can wait a couple of weeks, I may order from CRC especially as they carry more items than anyone else. If I need it by the weekend, even if ordering at the beginning of the week, forget it. Have learnt to never use next day delivery options also as they take even longer to dispatch!

Once they actually ship the thing, deliveries are generally fine and had no problem with the products ordered.

Other than that they're generally fine though navigating the categories on the site can be a pain, and headline prices always being the size you don't want or isn't in stock is annoying.

Main thing really is I see no point in the same day shipping promise as it never happens and it makes you think you might get it next day which is rubbish.

I get the impression from your post that you live in a small village and that you have no basic grasp of internet shopping in general. All your petty complaints are pathetic and the sort of small minded bigoted rubbish that Victor Meldrew would spout! By any chance are you an "internet virgin" and a pensioner?

Because you come across that way. Are you under 70 years of age?

If not then your post is even more laughable.

Who do you reccommend instead seeing that you are such an expert?...
  • cryocon wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I've just had a similar experience. Only ordered from them once before, a couple of years ago, with no problem. Thought i'd try them again, but this time it took two weeks for my order to turn up (an instock jacket), and after three emails to them too. It wasn't until the last email where i asked for them to cancel my order did i then get an email saying it had been despatched. Coincidence? I'll stick with Wiggle from now on, never had any issues with
    them.

So you are a regular customer of them... you ain't... but still found time to criticise them on the Internet.

Fair play. 3 emails. Did you try phoning them at all as they are well known for being slow to respond to emails?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I get the impression from your post that you live in a small village and that you have no basic grasp of internet shopping in general. All your petty complaints are pathetic and the sort of small minded bigoted rubbish that Victor Meldrew would spout! By any chance are you an "internet virgin" and a pensioner?

Excellent, a new internet tough guy. That's fighting talk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Thebigbee it's called cost cutting royal mail were in the shit up to the eyebrows 4-5 years ago. loosing millions of pounds a week.. these changes were made to try and save the business....

as for crc i had stuff arrive in less than 24 hours ordered a chain device for my bike ready for my trip to whistler
    i ordered it monday at 120 it was at my house by 10,00am tuesday... that was only in september...

i could complain about wiggle and bad service as i have had problems with them in the past,, but i wont...
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm yet to have issues with CRC, yes admittedly they aren't always as speedy as they used to be but I've never exactly had to wait long for what I wanted, I've always received what I've ordered and it's a good price. In addition whenever I've been in touch with the customer services to ask about products they've been very speedy and helpful.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I've always found crc to be excellent; delivery to Cumbria or deepest darkest Yorkshire is always 2 or 3 days, which i think is pretty reasonable since it's coming from Ireland. I've had a few issues with the wrong item being sent which was rectified right away; even when royal mail lost my front brake they dispatched a new one special delivery as soon as i emailed them saying it wasn't at the sorting office. You can't ask for much more really, especially considering the amount you stand to save.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667