My Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Build.

Comments

• PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    yeah quite a good pump, I've had mine for 2 years and its all good, loving the bike chick0 and I'm pleased you got the warranty issue sorted
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    PIKEO wrote:
    yeah quite a good pump, I've had mine for 2 years and its all good, loving the bike chick0 and I'm pleased you got the warranty issue sorted

Thanks Pikeo, I'm still really enjoying riding it.

Is it a Scott with an Equaliser Shock you ride?
  • MJAP
    MJAP Posts: 2
    Guys,

Loving the bikes, looking super slick.
    I've had my Jekyll for a little while now, really rate it as a bike.

Was hoping to get a little help. Its time to replace the bushings on the dyad shock. I'm having a little trouble with the spacers though. Can't seem to get them out to have a look at the bushings. Any ideas?
    Also the spacers look a little worn on the outside (possible reason they aren't coming out so easy?) any one know what size I need to replace them, and where I can get them?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
  • chick0
    Hey,

I have not replaced them yet on my Jekyll, but i think i will be doing it fairly soon, as the spacers are starting to look a bit corroded like yours...

I did replace these on my Rize i had before my Jekyll, but upgraded to "heavy duty" aftermarket items, which i found to be much better quality. I will be taking this route again.

For the mounts on my Rize i used a Screw & Bolt Extractor tool to get them out, it did not take much effort. I have not looked closely at the mounts on the Jekyll, but im guessing they use the "standard" Fox mount system.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p51010? ... tAodkhAAYQ

Here's a couple of sites that make Mounts in all different sizes.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Miscellaneou ... d-Bushings

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... OCK+BUSHES

I also fitted the polymer bushings, which made everything on the Rize feel super tight.

But i guess what you really want to know is what sizes you need to buy? Well right at this moment i don't know either, but i will do some measuring for you, although if you are going for aftermarket ones, you will be the guinea pig ;)

I'm going up biking around Torridon and the Isle of Skye later this week/weekend and i need to prep the Jekyll for going, if i get the chance i will try and get some sizes for you.

I have just had a thought, the boys at Mojo might be able to give you an exact size of the Mounts and bushings, as they do the UK servicing for the DYAD RT2.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/
  • chick0
    Mojo are saying that the mount size is 15.7 m6. (Thanks Mike).
  • chick0
    The weekend before last i did a guided trip with Go-Where Scotland (go-where.co.uk) up in the beautiful North West Highlands of Scotland for 4 Days around Torridon and the Isle of Skye.

For anyone who is fancying doing a wild biking trip in Scotland, i can't recommend Go-Where enough. Andy Mckenna was the perfect guide, with an amazing knowledge of the trails and area's we were in, and he made the trip run effortlessly, even when the usual mechanicals and hiccups arose.

Thankfully the Jekyll performed perfectly on the trip in the exposed and harsh environment, with a rear brake pad wear issue being the only mechanical problem.

I had bought a few pairs of spare / replacement pads for the trip for my Formula R1's, and decided to try along with the my usual Formula Sintered brake pads i use, a pair of NukeProof Enduro's, which i fitted to the rear. I did a couple of pre-trip rides to bed them in properly.

My initial thought about the NukeProofs was good, they bedded in fast and had a great bite and seemed to not fade, they were also about half the price of the Formula's (hence why trying them). But used in the unpredictable wilds of the Scottish Highlands they were practically useless. After the first wet and rocky descent on the first day they were totally destroyed, with one of the pads being ground down into the metal backing. The Sintered Formulas on the front, which were being worked harder were almost still looking brand new, and they easily lasted the whole trip.

photo+3.JPG
    photo+2.JPG
    photo+1.JPG

For going on the trip i also fitted a new pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampf Snakeskin Trailstar's 2.35. Its always tricky judging brand new tires against the old worn one's you take off, but after a couple of hundred trail miles on the Hans Dampf's i can safely say they are best trail tires i have ridden. They are super grippy and predictable, but also roll well. They just install so much more confidence than the Conti MK2's i had previously. They are also fantastic in the wet.
    They also weighed in at 701g and 703g, which was a touch lighter than the MK2 's (sorry no pics).
    As the Trailstar is the softer compound, it will be interesting to see how long they last, but there is no signs of wear yet.

Here's a few shots from the trip.

1-IMG_32102.JPG
    1276496_10151852351839295_1942773273_o.jpg
    969843_10151826736498605_334470506_n.jpg
    IMG_3258.JPG
    1-IMG_3112.JPG
    1-IMG_3225.JPG
  • chick0
    Quick up-date on some new transmission parts.

I have decided to follow the trend and try a single "narrow / wide" front ring. I have gone for a Race Face Narrow/Wide 32T with a XT rear cassette (11 - 36), with a OneUp Components 42T Sprocket.

The 42T Sprocket wont arrive until about the mid January. http://www.oneupcomponents.com/

OneUp Components 42T Sprocket
    OneUp-Components-42T-Sprocket-green-3d-front_7_1024x1024.jpg?v=1386523842
    OneUp-Components-42T-Sprocket-green-Specialized-2013-Stumpjumper-FSR-Comp-EVO_29-_cassette2_771bf5ce-df99-4a99-8f69-5b110a811b34_1024x1024.jpg?v=1386524016

Race Face Narrow/Wide - 32T - Green - 36g
    photo+1+%25283%2529.JPG

KMC X10 SL Gold 10 Speed Chain - 114 links - 246g
    photo+2+%25283%2529.JPG

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed - 11-36 - 336g
    photo+3+%25283%2529.JPG

photo+4.JPG
    photo+5.JPG
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bit silly putting the chain on now, you'll have to get a new one when the OneUP arrives because it won't be the correct size!
  • chick0
    lawman wrote:
    Bit silly putting the chain on now, you'll have to get a new one when the OneUP arrives because it won't be the correct size!

I bought 3 chains. I run 3 at a time and swap them every few rides to lengthen the life span of my drive trains, so the other 2 will be sized correctly once the 42T arrives.
    Also, the one i have fitted is 4 links longer than the one i took of (32T - 36 - 11), so i will see how i go with it. But its really no biggy as i have loads of spare KMC SL links and pins to make up a longer chain if needed.
  • lawman
    chick0 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

I bought 3 chains. I run 3 at a time and swap them every few rides to lengthen the life span of my drive trains, so the other 2 will be sized correctly once the 42T arrives.
    Also, the one i have fitted is 4 links longer than the one i took of (32T - 36 - 11), so i will see how i go with it. But its really no biggy as i have loads of spare KMC SL links and pins to make up a longer chain if needed.

Fair enough! Can really see those 42t cogs catching on, once they've out there for a little while I think they'll sell as well as Narrow/wide chainrings do
  • chick0
    lawman wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Fair enough! Can really see those 42t cogs catching on, once they've out there for a little while I think they'll sell as well as Narrow/wide chainrings do

To be-honest, i think they will be popular until Sram and/or Shimano bring out affordable single front rings + 42t cassettes systems, which surely can't be to much longer?

I deeply considered getting XX1, but thought i would give this set-up a try first, mostly due to my XX shifter and mech are still working perfectly. I am a little sad to be going away from my much loved and very light XX cassettes, as they really contribute to the snappy XX shifts. But you can't use the 42t sprocket with an XX cassette.

Am i right in thinking that you use a General Lee cassette on the Mojo? How have you got on with it ?
  • lawman
    chick0 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    lawman wrote:

To be-honest, i think they will be popular until Sram and/or Shimano bring out affordable single front rings + 42t cassettes systems, which surely can't be to much longer?

I deeply considered getting XX1, but thought i would give this set-up a try first, mostly due to my XX shifter and mech are still working perfectly. I am a little sad to be going away from my much loved and very light XX cassettes, as they really contribute to the snappy XX shifts. But you can't use the 42t sprocket with an XX cassette.

Am i right in thinking that you use a General Lee cassette on the Mojo? How have you got on with it ?

The 42t cogs are a great option for people who want to keep they're existing kit and they're much more reasonably priced than General Lees. I did buy one off the classifieds on here and it was very light and seemed nicely made, but I'd already looked at other options that seemed better and I wasn't convinced that the shifting performance on the general lees would be to my liking from what I've read so I sold mine and am waiting for now. Can't really say too much but it's gonna be good! The big thing people are missing with the 42t cogs is that you can dump the 15 and 17t cogs and replace with a 16t very cheaply, your LBS might even have one lying around you could have for nothing. Makes the jump between gears a little smaller and it should shift better too.
  • chick0
    Got the OneUp 42T finally delivered today. It went on and setup with no problems. My XX mech shifts up to it with no problems, although as expected its not as slick as shifting between the other rings. Will hopefully get out for a decent ride over the weekend and see how it all behaves when caked in Scottish mud ;)

OneUp 42T Sprocket - Green - 73g
    photo+2+%25284%2529.JPG

OneUp 42T + XT cassette - 392g
    photo+4+%25283%2529.JPG

KCNC Ultra Light Jockey Wheels, 11T - Gold - 14g
    photo+1+%25284%2529.JPG

P1040759.JPG

P1040761.JPG
  • Sorry for hijacking this thread, but Ive been watching it from the start, and seriously considering getting one of these: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p518 ... YLL-3-2013

Do you use your Jekyll at trail centres? Does it ever feel like too much bike or is it good at a bit of everything? I mostly ride red trail centres, but do go to the Peak District, Wales and Scotland. My Trance X does ok, but a new bike is always good.
    Whats the sizing like, comparable to most other brands?

I weigh 77kg and its an ally frame so hopefully cracks wouldnt be a problem. Have you ever fitted a chain device on yours? Is the Dyad shock any different to a normal shock for feel?
  • chick0
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but Ive been watching it from the start, and seriously considering getting one of these: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p518 ... YLL-3-2013

Do you use your Jekyll at trail centres? Does it ever feel like too much bike or is it good at a bit of everything? I mostly ride red trail centres, but do go to the Peak District, Wales and Scotland. My Trance X does ok, but a new bike is always good.
    Whats the sizing like, comparable to most other brands?

I weigh 77kg and its an ally frame so hopefully cracks wouldnt be a problem. Have you ever fitted a chain device on yours? Is the Dyad shock any different to a normal shock for feel?

Hey, no worry's about the hijack ;)

The Jekyll is the most versatile AM/Enduro bike i have ever ridden. I ride it on every kind of trails, from long distance XC stuff to brutal wild stuff in the north west highlands and everything in-between, and it always excels.

The whole point of having the "double" shock is to allow you to have a very very efficient climbing / flat ground platform, then at flick of the bar mounted switch it becomes a low plush downhill bomber (the geometry is changed also). In decent/flow mode the rear shock is very linear, more like the feel of a coil shock, but as a whole the bike remains efficient and controlled.
    The first thing you will notice when you ride a Jekyll is how stiff the frame feels.

I have never ridden an Alu version, and im going to guess it will be a bit heavier than my build, but it should still have the same characteristics.

I have never fitted a chain device, but the have ISCG-03 chain device tabs, so should be no problem.

Also don't worry about frames cracking, carbon or alu, as i have broken every frame i have ever owned ;) And if you are the original owner Cannondale will have your back with there lifetime warranty.

As always, i would suggest you give one a try to get a feel for it ( make sure the shock is set up for your weight, as this is very important to experience how the bike really performs in both modes), also to get the sizing right..
    I have found that Cannondales sizing is about average though if you cant find some to test or sit on.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    chick0 wrote:
    brutal wild stuff in the north west highlands

Where abouts?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • chick0
    Lewis A wrote:
    chick0 wrote:
    brutal wild stuff in the north west highlands

Where abouts?

Kinlochleven, Torridon, Glen Coe, Skye etc etc..

Do you ride up north Lewis?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I do. Stuff local to me or at trail centres. Not blessed with amazing trails near me, but the nearby (not nearby) trail centres are great, and I make the most of what I have.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    I brought that alloy jekyll. I spent quite a lot of time researching broken Jekyll frames and found more cracked carbon ones but in all the cases I found cannonDale looked after them. If you do decide to buy it get yourself sag indicator kit for it. I did test ride one in may and found the extra weight not to affect the ride to much. You'll need to get the shock pump for it. Qwertcycles are the best place I've used for stuff for mine. I'm going for my first ride sometime next week and in 3 weeks I'm hitting bpw and afan for a few days. Lovely build chick0 we need a Jekyll thread
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • chick0
    jfry94 wrote:
    I brought that alloy jekyll. I spent quite a lot of time researching broken Jekyll frames and found more cracked carbon ones but in all the cases I found cannonDale looked after them. If you do decide to buy it get yourself sag indicator kit for it. I did test ride one in may and found the extra weight not to affect the ride to much. You'll need to get the shock pump for it. Qwertcycles are the best place I've used for stuff for mine. I'm going for my first ride sometime next week and in 3 weeks I'm hitting bpw and afan for a few days. Lovely build chick0 we need a Jekyll thread

Cheers jfry94 ;) A Jekyll thread would be a cool. Lets us know how you get on on your first ride. You prob have read this already, but when setting up the Dyad, most people find that running lower pressures then suggested on the chart for your weight works best and gives correct sag.

I agree, a Sag Indicator is really handy for setting things up ( should really come with the bike).

I also fitted a Cannondale down tube frame guard recently, bought from Qwertycycles.
    P1040775.JPG
  • jfry94
    When I can get some good photo's I'll create a thread. I'm already thinking of upgrades for mine. lol I've caught the bug. Pike or light bike on hope wheels or even xo1/xx1. 2014 is going to be an expensive year. May I ask how much stand over height you have? I'm 5'7 and have 0 stand over height but once I'm on It ,even stock it feels perfect.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • chick0
    jfry94 wrote:
    When I can get some good photo's I'll create a thread. I'm already thinking of upgrades for mine. lol I've caught the bug. Pike or light bike on hope wheels or even xo1/xx1. 2014 is going to be an expensive year. May I ask how much stand over height you have? I'm 5'7 and have 0 stand over height but once I'm on It ,even stock it feels perfect.

I had to check for you as i had no idea ;) but my stand-over is about 14cm . I'm 6'2 and my frame is a Large.

I looking at putting on some 160mm / 170mm forks later in the year. Still not sure what i will get, going to try a few in the coming months. A mate is about to put 2014 Pikes on his Bronson, so i will be giving them a good try soon. 2014 Fox 34's and 36's and BOS forks are all on the short list.
  • jfry94
    Pikes with green logo's. Oh lordy. I want some of the dual postion pikes to match the rear end. I think I'm going to get some of them jockey wheels but in red to match the hints of red on my bike.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • chick0
    I would probably go for the Pikes Solo's if i went that route, which only come in black at moment. I don't think i would ever use the duel position on them, as i never drop TALAS on my current forks, as the rear shock in Elevate mode keeps the rear of the bike perched up, hence keeping the front planted.

Check out the discounts on Pikes on here right now - http://www.bike-discount.de/
  • chick0
    I got my Jockey wheels from gobike88_uk on eBay for £20.70 including postage. They came from Taiwan, but arrived within a week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gobike88_uk/m ... pg=&_from=
  • jfry94
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but Ive been watching it from the start, and seriously considering getting one of these: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p518 ... YLL-3-2013

Buy it, Buy it now before they realize cannondale hasn't changed the jekyll for 2014.

Chick0 how are you finding the oneup ring is shifting affected at all?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • chick0
    jfry94 wrote:

Buy it, Buy it now before they realize cannondale hasn't changed the jekyll for 2014.

Chick0 how are you finding the oneup ring is shifting affected at all?

Shifting up and down from the OneUp is slightly slower as you might expect, and on the way down there is sometimes a bit of a hesitant jerk as the chain drops down and re-engages, similar to when you shift down multiple cogs at once, but its not bad and no problem at all once aware of it.

I'm also now using an Shimano XT cassette instead of an Sram XX, and so far i feel like the shifts are not nearly as snappy or crisp as they were with the XX. I now cant confidently shift while still putting down good power like i could when needed with the XX cassette, will see how it all beds in though...

If i decide to continue using an add-on 42T ring, i will most likely fit an XTR cassette next to try and improve the shifting and save a bit of weight. The XT + OneUp 42T is almost double the weight of the 11-36 XX cassette - 392g Vs 209g.
  • jfry94
    Did afans penhydd and blade trails over the last couple of days. Was good but my bike is seriously under personed lol. It climbs well though.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • chick0
    Picked up a Reverb Stealth on sale.

31.6 - 430mm - 150mm drop and a right hand lever (which i'm going to run upside down on the left)

617g, but that was with the cable uncut, which was really long out the box.

P1040779.JPG
  • chick0
    Picked up some Pikes on http://www.bike-discount.de/ for £450.. Popped them on the scales and they weighted 1830g, that was with the steerer cut to length, but with the Maxle Lite, Star Nut and Crown Race installed.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock ... ack-197628

Pike RCT3 26" Solo Air 160 Tapered Maxle Lite 15 Diffusion black - 1830g
    photo%2B1%2B%286%29.JPG
    photo%2B2%2B%286%29.JPG
    3etVM5tGdVO0pBsgFGkyMb4_gw157KUvdVcLRRQvMh0=w1091-h818-no