• Great ! And what about the weight ?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    very nice, how are the tune hubs?
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Great ! And what about the weight ?

11.3kg (24.9Ib).

I plan to fit a pair of Mountain King II 2.4 RS tyres, this should bring the weight down into the high 10kg range, but I have not found them anywhere available to buy yet, so i decided to go with the ProTection version for now (which i'm very impressed with so far).

I have a few other small changes planned, which may bring weight down a little, but i also started to think about Reverb seat-post's, so any weight savings will be offset.
  • chick0
    lawman wrote:
    very nice, how are the tune hubs?

I've only done around 60 miles on them, but all good so far.

First impressions are that they give a feeling of precision and smoothness.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    weight sounds pretty good, works out like my HD would if i had the same wheels, double chainset and no dropper, very nice build.

good to hear about the hubs, will be keeping an eye on this thread as they seem to be quite popular atm
  • chick0
    lawman wrote:
    weight sounds pretty good, works out like my HD would if i had the same wheels, double chainset and no dropper, very nice build.

good to hear about the hubs, will be keeping an eye on this thread as they seem to be quite popular atm

The Tune hubs are very light for their intended use, so i will see how they hold up, and will keep you posted.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Damn, is that real :shock: , i thought we were going to have to look in retro bikes to see this finished, it does look amazing though, but i cant believe you've been so meticulous with all the parts, and then you go and use a crappy old innertube for a chain stay protector :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chick0
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Damn, is that real :shock: , i thought we were going to have to look in retro bikes to see this finished, it does look amazing though, but i cant believe you've been so meticulous with all the parts, and then you go and use a crappy old innertube for a chain stay protector :lol:

Its been finished for a while, but i have just not been in the country to ride it, or more importantly take pictures of it for you guys ;)

Your right about the innertube protector, although it was never going to be the permanent solution. Although i do like the complete absence of chain slap noise when using them, but i hate that mud and grit gets lodged in gaps and the only way to get it completely out is to take the whole thing off. :lol: :roll:

Has anyone used this Frame Wrap before? I was hoping to find something similar but in white ;)

http://www.biketart.com/524/products/frame-wrap.aspx
  • Absolutely lovely build, and quite surprised on the weight! Very nice build indeed for such a bike! I thought the same about the innertube wrap as well on a bike of this caliber :d
  • chick0
    edited April 2012
    Absolutely lovely build, and quite surprised on the weight! Very nice build indeed for such a bike! I thought the same about the innertube wrap as well on a bike of this caliber :d

Thanks MountainMonster :D:mrgreen:

There is quite a few area's where i could of easily reduced the weight more for around the same money, the DH bars and the Point One pedals for example. But i was not looking to build the the lightest bike possible, my aim was to build a light, but fit for purpose bike. 8)
  • sweet looking build, glad to finally see some pics of it all together.

how you getting on with the new Mountain Kings bud, they are getting much better write ups than the previous model and they are tempting to try.

were they a pain in the arse to fit onto your Crests?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • chick0
    I'm very impressed with the MK II's so far.

I'm a big fan of Nobby Nic's, and the MK II's have a very similar look and tread. Without doing a back to back comparison, I would say that the MK II's offer more grip and control, and roll just as well as any of Nobby Nic's i have ran before.
    The Black Chilli compound does feel rather soft, so time will tell how well they last.
  • chick0
    Just a wee update as its been a while since i have posted..

Loving the Jekyll more and more, the over-all stiffness of the frame is so impressive, better then any other bike in the category i have ridden. Now that i have become accustom to the feel of the bike, its always surprising to swap onto my ridding buddy's AM bikes, as they all feel like wet noddles in comparison.

I was apprehensive about having a bike with a proprietary shock, but so far the DYAD has been very impressive, it really is the heart and soul of the bike. In Elevate mode with only 90mm of travel (it feels a lot less), the bike just wants to climb and accelerate, it really does just snap forward with amazing efficiency with every pedal stroke. The reduced sag in this mode also significantly helps, as it keeps the bike propped up at the rear.
    When the bar lever is flicked to Flow mode, the whole bikes personality changes, it becomes very plush and very playful. The shock also gives a bottomless impression.

I have done around 1000 miles on the bike, and im now thinking of making some changes. I'm going to start experimenting with more tyres.
    I have found the MK 2's to be good as a whole, only had one flat, and that was on the Pitfichie DH course (the tyre was pinched between the rim and some fine Aberdeenshire granite leaving a 2cm slash).
    But i have discovered a trate that only occurs when pushing very very hard on hard-packed berms, the rear tyre can unexpectedly let go ( its a sensation very much like when you touch the rear brake while cornering hard). I have so far always been able to pull it back, and i have experimented with various pressures, but the trate always has resurfaced.

So recommendations for what tyres to try next would be appreciated. Was thinking about go for a pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampf??

Pitfichie DH course -1 V Continental Mountain King II -0
    fr_24.jpg
    Up high at Pitfichie.
    fr_21.jpg

Sunny weekend in August at Glentress.
    fr_32.jpg
    fr_28.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I saw a review of one of these in Decline magazine. Looks like an amazing bike. They implied to get the most from it you had to ride pretty aggressively - do you find that and did the shock take as much fiddling to set up as they say (apologies if you have answered any of this earlier int he thread I read page 1 5 and 6!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chick0
    I saw a review of one of these in Decline magazine. Looks like an amazing bike. They implied to get the most from it you had to ride pretty aggressively - do you find that and did the shock take as much fiddling to set up as they say (apologies if you have answered any of this earlier int he thread I read page 1 5 and 6!)

Hey Paul,

I would not say you have to ride it hard to get the best out if it, but i really does love being pushed hard. With the shock in flow mode it really does have the feel off a coil shock. The trick is, the Dyad enables you to set sag deeper (40%) than any other Fox air shock, without sacrificing the pedaling platform necessary for the best climbing efficiency (elevate mode reduces the sag to around 10%).
    Also due to the frame also having a low centre of gravity, the bike has a very balanced chuckable feel.

The Dyad shock is very simple to set up. Allow all the air out of both negative and positive chambers, pump up the positive then negative to relative pressures listed in the setup guide then go ride.
    What most people have found is that the listed pressures on the table are to high. For example im 85kg, but i run the pressures for a 73kg rider. I knew this was the was most people were doing before i got the frame though, as there is a setup thread over on the Mtbr forum.

Do you know what issue of Decline the review of the Jekyll was in, i would love to give it a read.
  • danair
    danair Posts: 52
    im liking that frame not seen one in green and white before all seen to be red nice build mate
  • chick0
    danair wrote:
    im liking that frame not seen one in green and white before all seen to be red nice build mate

I would of preferred a black and white frame, but one was not available at the time. I would have had to wait about 4 months for one, so i just went with the green and white.
  • paul.skibum
    chick0 wrote:
    Do you know what issue of Decline the review of the Jekyll was in, i would love to give it a read.

I think May? I have it at home so will check - theres was the black and white and it looked great. Very tempting bike!
  • chick0
    chick0 wrote:

I think May? I have it at home so will check - theres was the black and white and it looked great. Very tempting bike!

Thanks Paul,

I just discovered that you can read the digital Decline magazine for free, all you need to do is register an email :):D:mrgreen:

http://www.declinemagazine.com/digisubscribe.php

I think i found the Jekyll review in the August 2011 issue you mentioned. Although its a fairly short review, they are pretty much spot on about the bike.

"The Jekyll feels like a short-travel cross-country bike on climbs and a bump-eating all-mountain monster on descents. This bike is nothing short of outstanding."

"The Jekyll is an amazing all-around bike that will surprise riders with its proficient range of abilities."

The German magazine Bike.de also gave it a glowing review and the highest overall score of any bike they have ever tested..

http://www.bike-magazin.de/test_technik ... a3997.html
    (non German speakers will need a translator tool)
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Had a read of the whole thread, the build is nice and the colors are nice and fine also, the bake bean tin measurement was funny (One of my nick names is bake bean)
  • paul.skibum
    My bad - it was actually in Bike Magazine - July 2012 - they say it has a true tracking ride quality, works really well especially as an agressive rider gets more out of it. Its a short review so I wouldnt get too excited about tracking it down!
  • chick0
    Jomox wrote:
    Had a read of the whole thread, the build is nice and the colors are nice and fine also, the bake bean tin measurement was funny (One of my nick names is bake bean)

Thanks mate. I did the bean tin just for you :):mrgreen:
  • chick0
    My bad - it was actually in Bike Magazine - July 2012 - they say it has a true tracking ride quality, works really well especially as an agressive rider gets more out of it. Its a short review so I wouldnt get too excited about tracking it down!

Well thanks for putting me on to the Decline review, even if it was by accident ;)
  • chick0
    Cannondale released a Jekyll Sag Indicator Kit recently, I got one delivered this morning from Cannondale experts in the US.

For any other Jekyll owners that want to retrofit one, the product number is - KP188/

Cannondale Jekyll Sag Indicator Kit - KP188/
    sag3.JPG
    sag1.JPG
  • chick0
    Found this crack in the seat tube a few weeks back and just found out today from my dealer that CSG uk will not be covering it on the lifetime warranty. :(

Seat%2520Tube%2520Crack.JPG
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice dale with sum bling ya bike tart.

What's the score with the warranty issue ?
  • chick0

CSG uk have turned down the warranty claim on basis that they are saying the seatpost i have used is to small, but its been the correct 31.6mm size that is in the Jekyll Manual!
  • What a shame! Although I would be really pressing them on the warranty if you having been using the recommended sizes for things.
  • chick0 wrote:

CSG uk have turned down the warranty claim on basis that they are saying the seatpost i have used is to small, but its been the correct 31.6mm size that is in the Jekyll Manual!
    That's crackers, surely there's something you can do?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Thats a shame, lovely build... if all else fails try these guys:

http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer