New trails at Coed Llandegla

1235»

Comments

• DCR00 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    Cannock has some killer climbing also,

Really?????

the end of the Monkey Trail...

I think you need to recalibrate your Killer Climb sensor :wink: .. you're not too far away in Warrington so a trip out here to the Dark Peak ought to do it.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DCR00 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    Cannock has some killer climbing also,

Really?????

the end of the Monkey Trail...

I think you need to recalibrate your Killer Climb sensor :wink: .. you're not too far away in Warrington so a trip out here to the Dark Peak ought to do it.

Killer Climb for my fat/unfit a** :wink:
  • Well considering this was my first post/topic on this forum I suppose I should be flattered that it provoked such a good response.

Reading all the posts I think the general consensus is that the new parts of the trails are a good thing.

I think where the discussion gets a little lost is the whole question of abilities.
    Given that Llandegla is a facility that is open to ALL members of the general public it is safe to assume that they will attract people with all levels of skills and attitude.
    I would like to think that I am very courteous when out on the trails and never intentionally hold anyone up or stop on the trails in inconsiderate places, and also never bully other slower users of the trails out of the way.
    My other pastime is motorcycle track days and this is another hobby where I have experienced a great mix of skill levels and attitudes, but my view has always been everyone has paid their money and are all entitled to utilise the resources as they see fit.
    Whether this applies to a motorcycle racetrack or a MTB trail in Wales I think the same applies. I don't always agree with how some people conduct themselves either on the racetrack or the MTB trail but I make allowances and always go home happy. If I ever thought that my enjoyment of either hobby was being compromised by other people slowing me or getting in my way then I'd take up racing and I think that applies equally to both disciplines.
    :):)
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Another biker turned mountain biker :D The question is which gives you the biggest thrills :wink: In relation to road riding I found riding mountain bike trails was much more exciting which considering how much slower the speeds were I found quite surprising. I'm not sure the same can be said for a fast bike on a cracking track but that's a pretty expensive day out.

I have thought about the difference in behaviour between mountain bikers at trail centres and bikers on a track day and I think the biggest difference is there are marshals and instruction from the organisers at a track day forcing riders to think about their actions, this is almost completely missing at trail centres so it's down to the individual to engage their brain...which some people don't seem to possess!
  • Neal_ wrote:
    Another biker turned mountain biker :D The question is which gives you the biggest thrills :wink: In relation to road riding I found riding mountain bike trails was much more exciting which considering how much slower the speeds were I found quite surprising. I'm not sure the same can be said for a fast bike on a cracking track but that's a pretty expensive day out.

I have thought about the difference in behaviour between mountain bikers at trail centres and bikers on a track day and I think the biggest difference is there are marshals and instruction from the organisers at a track day forcing riders to think about their actions, this is almost completely missing at trail centres so it's down to the individual to engage their brain...which some people don't seem to possess!

Another biker turned MTBer... much more enjoyment from MTB.

In fairness I have injured myself more on a MTB than I ever did on a motorbike but the consequences/severity (in general) is much lower. The new black techy bits on the Monkey at cannock give me infinetely more enjoyment that motorbiking ever did.

I could only get enjoyment from motorbiking by going fast, which is never going to end well.
  • GSP1984 wrote:

Another biker turned MTBer... much more enjoyment from MTB.

In fairness I have injured myself more on a MTB than I ever did on a motorbike but the consequences/severity (in general) is much lower. The new black techy bits on the Monkey at cannock give me infinetely more enjoyment that motorbiking ever did.

I could only get enjoyment from motorbiking by going fast, which is never going to end well.

Well whilst I'm still fairly new to mountain biking I'd have to say the thrills are different, but both give me a good rush.
    I stopped riding motorbikes on the road and moved to track only action and there you can quite easily scare yourself sh*tless :lol:

Pic from a few months ago in spain testing my skill.(yet to get any pics of daring do on a MTB)

AJP_8204.jpg
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    I took up MTB a year or so ago and plan to get more regular as a likely replacement for my motorcycle racing 'career', which I'm hoping to complete in still one piece at the end of the 2012 season.

I've raced for 10 years in 400's and 600's and at varying levels (including British Supersport) and it is still the one thing that gives me kicks, but then I love bikes and have ridden and crashed them for over 30 years. I still get nerves in the paddock and holding area before a race and I never have constipation at race meetings!

MTB is hopefully safer and at least I'm going slower and the ground stands a chance of being softer. That said, most serious injury or death in motorcycling is when you get hit by another rider and speed isn't usually the issue if you can slide without hitting anything! As for the kicks though, MTB doesn't match, but it is a different kind of kick and I'm extending my fitness as well. I actually enjoy the climbs and the feeling of being out there ripping a trail (as best I can) and pushing myself.

I suppose racing MTB is next. I've done a couple of duathlons and an endurance race.....all good fun :D
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • I think discussing trail centres like Llandegla will always open a whole can of worms. IMHO one of Llandeglas main faults is lack of choice for riders . Everyone pays the same to park and therefore has the same rights regardless of skill level to ride the trails . This is my local trail centre and have probably ridden there 4 or 5 times this year for this exact reason.I tend to liken it to MTBings version of the M25. CYB offers far more choice of routes and varying degrees of technical features. Or the other option I've taken up is to do more wild riding , far more peaceful and just as challenging as anything Llandegla has to offer
  • There are other trails around Landegla to add to your day, from the top of the first climb turn left onto the open moors and look for the Masts and the decent that it has to offer
    Not my film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkQC2ChU1O8 but try it at speed :wink:
    There's some really cheeky stuff down to Langollen, then ride back up to Llandegla and do a couple of loops of the new trails.
    Should fill a couple of hours :roll:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Anybody know if there's any cheeky little shortcuts back up the downhill runs, so can have a couple of goes at each of them?
  • Just do 2 or 3 laps, but not at the moment as it's closed because of the snow
    http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/2011/ ... re-closed/
  • DodgeT
    It would bore me doing more than 1 lap. Would be good though to be able to re-run the downhill sections. Sure I read somehwere in another thread about a fireroad link - for the old stuff obviously, wondered whether theres one for the new stuff too.

Good point re the snow.. shall check before we set off :)
  • DodgeT wrote:
    It would bore me doing more than 1 lap. Would be good though to be able to re-run the downhill sections. Sure I read somehwere in another thread about a fireroad link - for the old stuff obviously, wondered whether theres one for the new stuff too.

Good point re the snow.. shall check before we set off :)

At the end of the Parralel Universe you can go back up the fireroad as normal but take the right hand path at the fork, as for the new sections i'm pretty sure after the B-line you cross a fire road (the rocky part is great) i think that fire road will take you back to the climb for JJ jumps/twins where the new board walk section starts or you can link up with the old red route at the triplets
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • DodgeT
    Cheers muttley. I've probably no chance of remembering that (I get lost in my back garden :D ) but i'll try to remember it. Looks like tomorrow's going to be off anyway due to too much white stuff..

Fingers crossed lee quarry's not had much by tomorrow, but then i've prob got more chance of winning the lottery tonight.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Cheers muttley. I've probably no chance of remembering that (I get lost in my back garden :D ) but i'll try to remember it. Looks like tomorrow's going to be off anyway due to too much white stuff..

Fingers crossed lee quarry's not had much by tomorrow, but then i've prob got more chance of winning the lottery tonight.

I'm hoping to get up to Llandegla or Coed y brenin over christmas depending on the conditions is you want me to let you know? Will try and sort a few bodys out

I went up to Lee quarry over christmas last year and it wasn't much fun at all, the mud and water was turning to ice on my bike and in the end froze my drive train. I'll be sat in the pub tomorrow and hopefully the landlord will have lit the coal fire by then
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • FSRian
    FSRian Posts: 28
    DodgeT wrote:

degla was fine today got there just after 9 and had to wait while the car park was gritted and cleared but was riding by 10, full lap including black runs, only area really affect by snow is the long climb at the start and places without tree cover. Black runs were all fine, Just throw some caution on the north shore 8)
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Been a year or so since I was at Llandeagla. Reading this thread it looks like the Red route has these Northshore sections that are unavoidable? Personally I hate these Northshore sections with a passion. I just don't get them. Singletrack any day for me. Am I right about them being unavoidable?
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    Not unavoidable as far as I am aware, I think the North shore sections are optional blacks.

Why hate them though? it just adds an extra dimension to the trail.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • The north shore onto the new red route (back to the cafe) is unavoidable I would say.
    Its not a difficult section though.
  • plugp7 wrote:
    Been a year or so since I was at Llandeagla. Reading this thread it looks like the Red route has these Northshore sections that are unavoidable? Personally I hate these Northshore sections with a passion. I just don't get them. Singletrack any day for me. Am I right about them being unavoidable?

I've never been keen on them but they've done a pretty good job with these sections. Watch the drop-in and drop-off the black one but, aside from that, they're both good fun, not tricky and add a bit of variety to the loop. Both are wide and, most importantly, well covered with wire for grip.

Did a pre-Christmas trip today as a fully rigid singlespeed challenge with a mate. Had a great laugh, only came across a few other riders and managed to nail the black in under 70 minutes.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Why hate them though? it just adds an extra dimension to the trail.[/quote]

Hate is probably to strong. They are just not my thing. Why build a bridge where it's not needed? Wont stop me having a look in the New Year though.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    have they linked the old bit of bumpy shore back in? i think i was the only person inthe world who liked that.

its just another "trail feature": all these constructed rock gardens, drops, boards etc immitate the unavoidable features you encounter when riding outside trail centers.....of course the only time many riders encounter these is erm in trail centres..pop has sort of eaten itself!
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    Gee Atherton was there today, I clocked him as he walked into the cafe. As we were riding back to the car I saw him beginning a lap and timing himself on a white Commencal. Would have been nice to have watched him on the jumps
  • I know it was a Bank Holiday and it was bound to be busy but seriously, if you're riding in a group of twenty riders, don't all stop together and block the entire trail and then, when someone asks politely to get past, bitch and moan like a bunch of spotty teenagers... first encounter with this group was at the top of this little climb before the main board section on the red and then, having managed to get past them, while waiting for my mates on the wide fireroad, they all rolled past and managed to block the entire fireroad... unbelievable! At least four of five riders were forced to go past them via the ditch and verge and, even when asked, they showed no willingness to move.... numpties!