New trails at Coed Llandegla

Comments

• jt1984
    jt1984 Posts: 91
    I live about 45min from llandegla and enjoy the trails, they are defintiely worh 3.50 a go! I work occasional weekends so I use my day off on a week day to go there and often find it almost deserted compared to a busy saturday when even the overflow car park gets filled!! Some people do stop for a rest in the oddest places blocking the path - thats frustrating, not hard just to move to the side.

I'm not slow and ride a carbon full sus but some mental bloke on a fully rigid who was taking his g/frd down the black decided to 'race' with me down the first black section, he kept on my tail! Respect dude. I knew he was there cos he had a little cow bell jingling on his handle bars, which was cool cos it was a little jingle that just made me aware of his prescence, we had a laugh at the bottom.
  • I ride a HT & I ride blacks. I can't afford a FS, but if anyone would like to buy me one to improve their own enjoyment, feel free!!

Karen :wink:
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Well no one told me not to so I did the blue then the red today. I wish I'd done them the other way around, the steep uphill sections at the end took their toll on me, and I had to push two of them, but otherwise I thought the trails were brilliant. I don't know what the new bits are, as I've never been before, but the red felt a lot longer than as described on the maps. I loved the swooping bits and the north shore sections, and whilst everything was nicely challenging for me (bar those killer uphills at the end) it was all ride-able - especially if you maintain momentum.

I'm glad I went when it was quieter, but it was very, very foggy (sub 30m visibility on the open sections at the top) after I'd finished the blue. I'll be going back.

Does anybody know how long the red route is now, just to make me feel better?
  • bartiebat wrote:
    I ride a HT & I ride blacks. I can't afford a FS, but if anyone would like to buy me one to improve their own enjoyment, feel free!!

Totally agree Karen, it's absolute nonsense that you need a full sus bike to enjoy Llandegla and I can almost guarantee that if they held an open race around the red/black loop it'd be won by an XC whippet on a hard tail.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    bartiebat wrote:
    I ride a HT & I ride blacks. I can't afford a FS, but if anyone would like to buy me one to improve their own enjoyment, feel free!!

lol

Ditto, I'll have a Zesty ta ;)
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Well no one told me not to so I did the blue then the red today. I wish I'd done them the other way around, the steep uphill sections at the end took their toll on me, and I had to push two of them, but otherwise I thought the trails were brilliant. I don't know what the new bits are, as I've never been before, but the red felt a lot longer than as described on the maps. I loved the swooping bits and the north shore sections, and whilst everything was nicely challenging for me (bar those killer uphills at the end) it was all ride-able - especially if you maintain momentum.

I'm glad I went when it was quieter, but it was very, very foggy (sub 30m visibility on the open sections at the top) after I'd finished the blue. I'll be going back.

Does anybody know how long the red route is now, just to make me feel better?

I was going to recommend you do the red but as I haven't ridden the new stuff yet or Whinlatter I didn't want to give you duff information.

+Rep doing both the blue and the red. I'd also like to know the total distances for the new red and black routes if anyone knows.

BTW have you been looking at the new map > http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/wp-co ... es-new.pdf
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I don't think that was the map I had, but I didn't take it out on the route so I can't remember.

The red was a different red to Whinlatter in my opinion; Whinlatter had some really rocky downhill sections that I wasn't brave enough to tackle, all the downhill stuff was do-able for me at Coed Llandegla but the up and down bits at the end (Steep up, fairly steep down) were real quads and calves killers (I don't think doing this the day after doing a legs session in the gym has helped, I was regretting the squats I did last night). I've never ridden any North Shore stuff before either, so I really enjoyed those bits.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    bartiebat wrote:

No one has stated you cannot ride a HT on a black....there are plenty of capable hard tails out there...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • GPS recorded the red route at 15.71km, Black at 20.58km for me - not including the section that splits by Black Bridge.

I used to be a regular up there but had to retire (ebay) my bike for house repairs. I've recently just replaced it and went up for the first time last week. I think the new stuff is excellent, and a massive improvement over the routes I remember. There are a few sections that are quite a step up from the level that I (and many others I'm sure) have become accustomed to at Llandegla. No doubt this is currently catching a few people out.

I went last week on the weekend and it is something I will be avoiding at all costs in the future. The place was heaving, which inevitably leads to more close calls, hold ups and waiting. I went up again today and only saw two other lads the whole time I was out on the trail. :D
  • Neal_
    GPS recorded the red route at 15.71km, Black at 20.58km for me - not including the section that splits by Black Bridge.

Thanks mate. My iPhone GPS with Endomondo recorded 16.42km for the old red and 17.76km for the old black also missing the section by Black Bridge.
    I used to be a regular up there but had to retire (ebay) my bike for house repairs. I've recently just replaced it and went up for the first time last week. I think the new stuff is excellent, and a massive improvement over the routes I remember. There are a few sections that are quite a step up from the level that I (and many others I'm sure) have become accustomed to at Llandegla. No doubt this is currently catching a few people out.

I went last week on the weekend and it is something I will be avoiding at all costs in the future. The place was heaving, which inevitably leads to more close calls, hold ups and waiting. I went up again today and only saw two other lads the whole time I was out on the trail. :D

I'm hoping it'll be a bit quieter next time I'm there in about 4 weeks. I can only do weekends so will just have to make sure I'm there efin early.
  • I did it again on my own on Sat. It is a real physical challenge now, particularly if you do the old black loop as well to take in Parallel universe etc. Found myself almost falling asleep on the way home, and cancelling my evenings plans in favour of an early night.
    It was fairly busy, but other than the occasional group that decided to stop in the middle of the trail and completely block it, everyone I met was fine
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I did it on my own last saturday as well. I sometimes prefer doing something like that on my own, it means you don't have to wait around.

There is a serious problem with people waiting around on the trails though. Last time I was there I tried to get onto the second black run off the red just ater the big berm. There were so many people standing in front of it I just went down the red instead, it's so frustrating. I went flying round the berm then basically had to stop dead, the blokes standing in the middle of the trail just looked at me and would'nt move.

I'm planning on going quite a few times in the next few weeks, sort of going to decided whether I bother with it anymore. I do sort of prefer the MBR trails etc at Coed Y Brenin anyway, just a lot further from Manchester.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    hummmm yeah, i'v noticed alot of this standing around in and around the trail at llandegla.
    don't seem to happen at any other trail centers and they look at you with such attitude when you try to get pass.
    wonder why that is?
    odd really!!
    dont you think.
  • Neal_
    It's the easiest trail centre to get to from a lot of big cities and towns so is the default choice for many people new to the sport who may not be serious enough to travel further to CyB etc. It is likely that they just aren't aware of trail etiquette and as there is very little instruction from the trail centre then it's down to the old hands to educate them, a polite "don't stop in the middle of the trail lads" will probably be enough to engage their brains although I'm not guaranteeing you won't get told to do one ;)

As an example I went there with a mate not that long ago which was his first time to a trail centre and after running off course on a berm he pushed his bike back on the trail and stood in the middle of it dusting himself off until I said we need to move out of the way, he's a sound guy and is far from thick but even he needed a gentle nudge.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    just go early in the morning

last time i got there for 9am and there was nobody there
  • Neal_ wrote:
    It's the easiest trail centre to get to from a lot of big cities and towns so is the default choice for many people new to the sport who may not be serious enough to travel further to CyB etc. It is likely that they just aren't aware of trail etiquette and as there is very little instruction from the trail centre then it's down to the old hands to educate them, a polite "don't stop in the middle of the trail lads" will probably be enough to engage their brains although I'm not guaranteeing you won't get told to do one ;)

As an example I went there with a mate not that long ago which was his first time to a trail centre and after running off course on a berm he pushed his bike back on the trail and stood in the middle of it dusting himself off until I said we need to move out of the way, he's a sound guy and is far from thick but even he needed a gentle nudge.

Yeah I dont think its people being stupid or ignorant, I think its just easy not to realise. Similar to golf in many ways, theres so many etiquette rules that all of the regulars think are common sense, but when youre new its hard to know
  • Dirtrider
    i know the whole 'all gear no idea' argument, but the people who do it in my experience are on 2-3k bikes, they know what there doing, at least most of them do.

I would say it's more just a ad attitude from a lot of these people, not something I want in the sport.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Pudseyp
    Dirtrider wrote:
    i know the whole 'all gear no idea' argument, but the people who do it in my experience are on 2-3k bikes, they know what there doing, at least most of them do.

I would say it's more just a ad attitude from a lot of these people, not something I want in the sport.

But these are the worst...people new to the sport with money who spend £4k on an Ibis think there better than anyone else and think we should give way (bit like audi and bmw drivers lol) to me the heart is being ripped from the sport
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    to me the heart is being ripped from the sport

Bit over dramatic don't you think?

I'd say the sport is growing and the word is getting out that MTB is both fun and good for you. If you don't like the busy trail centre feel, there are plenty of places you can ride without touching a trail centre.

The whole idea of trail centres is to encourage people to have a go who wouldn't normally bother as they don't feel up to map reading and blind trail riding in the middle of nowhere.

The point about people not knowing what they are doing is down to lack of publicity with regards to cycling etiquette and safety notices, both of which ultimately lye with the Governing bodies not getting off of their backsides and shoving it down the FC and trail centre owners throats!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:
    to me the heart is being ripped from the sport

Bit over dramatic don't you think?

I'd say the sport is growing and the word is getting out that MTB is both fun and good for you. If you don't like the busy trail centre feel, there are plenty of places you can ride without touching a trail centre.

The whole idea of trail centres is to encourage people to have a go who wouldn't normally bother as they don't feel up to map reading and blind trail riding in the middle of nowhere.

The point about people not knowing what they are doing is down to lack of publicity with regards to cycling etiquette and safety notices, both of which ultimately lye with the Governing bodies not getting off of their backsides and shoving it down the FC and trail centre owners throats!

I have been riding for years, and OK it is becoming more popular which I am all for, I like natural trails and trail centres...my point is it's lost some of it's charm....the hub at Glentress gone...I was at Whinnlatter and after a long ride was looking forward to bacon butty and a mug of tea...oh no it's all Pannis's and Cappichino's even parsnip and lemon cake !! WTF ??? that's my point...guess I am getting old icon_cry.gif
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    its an unfortunate side effect of something becoming more mainstream - more people = more bellends

im relatively new to this (my bike didn't cost £4k, unfortunately) and so its still a novelty to have somewhere accessible to ride off road since when i last rode an MTB, there weren't such things as Trail Centres...

that said, if Deggy is crowded this weekend, i may have more to say on this next week...
  • Dirtrider
    Yes, when I started riding there weren't such thing as trail centres, or not what their like now anyway.

I suppose the problem is trail centres have stopped people just 'riding up a mountain' so to speak, which is what I used to do, and now don't, so I guess it's happened to me as well.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Common sense improves everyones enjoyment of the trails, ........ to not go a mile beyond them as its can be dangerous not just for you but others.

For example this year there was a lady coming down the last section of red at Cwm Carn and she was obviously out of her depths and slightyl scared, I was at full tilt coming down ....I had a lot of trouble stopping lost traction nearly went of the trail, and nearly took her with me. I managed to stop about 4" of her back wheel while she was still moving. This could have ended in a bad accident for me and i could have hurt her

Common sense is key when using any public facilities, and the first question is, is it appropriate for my skill level, will I be spoiling it for everyone else....... causing problems not only for yourself but other trail users.

I'm impressed by your frankness. So what improvements do you intend to make in your riding style/technique in future so you don't make it dangerous for others?
  • Neal_
    I'm impressed by your frankness. So what improvements do you intend to make in your riding style/technique in future so you don't make it dangerous for others?

:lol:

Nicked from the highway code but it still applies especially riding behind people you don't know.

"Ride at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should leave enough space between you and the bike in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops. The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance."
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I would love to get to Llandegla at 9.00am but that would mean getting up (on a sunday) at around 6.00am. I`ve been on earlies all week, getting up at 7.00am was harsh enough on my only day off!

Trail Pests are nothing new, just not experienced so many at one time. It`s pack mentality, they see somebody ahead and want to hunt them down and get past. Funny thing is, I go past the same people as soon as the hit an uphill. I don`t mind anybody coming past me but they need to do it in the right way, give me a clue which side you intend to pass otherwise I won`t make it easy for you. The worst thing you can ever do when there`s somebody right behind you is to go faster, you`ll end up riding faster than you`re comfortable with.

A lad who used to come biking with us used to tailgate everybody, he was a roadie at heart. The last time I ever saw him was when he came to Llandegla about four years ago and broke his wrist. My Dad braked on a DH and he went straight into my Dad and over the bars, you come off at llandegla and you`re really going to hurt yourself. Nice sharp slate and big rocks to land on.

My Kenda Kinetics were a nightmare on the northshore, if I even slightly braked they locked up on the chicken wire. Quite scarey, I need to change them
    Lowride wrote:
    I would love to get to Llandegla at 9.00am but that would mean getting up (on a sunday) at around 6.00am. I`ve been on earlies all week, getting up at 7.00am was harsh enough on my only day off!

i have a one year old, so getting up early is no biggy
  • Pudseyp
    Common sense improves everyones enjoyment of the trails, ........ to not go a mile beyond them as its can be dangerous not just for you but others.

For example this year there was a lady coming down the last section of red at Cwm Carn and she was obviously out of her depths and slightyl scared, I was at full tilt coming down ....I had a lot of trouble stopping lost traction nearly went of the trail, and nearly took her with me. I managed to stop about 4" of her back wheel while she was still moving. This could have ended in a bad accident for me and i could have hurt her

Common sense is key when using any public facilities, and the first question is, is it appropriate for my skill level, will I be spoiling it for everyone else....... causing problems not only for yourself but other trail users.

Do you have a hybrid or something.....obviously you don't understand the word adrenaline in anyway....
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Common sense improves everyones enjoyment of the trails, ........ to not go a mile beyond them as its can be dangerous not just for you but others.

Do you have a hybrid or something.....obviously you don't understand the word adrenaline in anyway....

Pudsey - your comment is so funny as i've done a peaks ride with the generalist. This guy has adrenaline instead of blood, he's a freaking unstoppable robot no matter what the terrain. :twisted:
  • Pudseyp
    DodgeT wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

Pudsey - your comment is so funny as i've done a peaks ride with the generalist. This guy has adrenaline instead of blood, he's a freaking unstoppable robot no matter what the terrain. :twisted:

He may be...but like I have said and as The Waylander have stated all along it's all about two words "common sense" if the above lady in question used some common sense she might not of been on the red out of her depth, if she had the right skills she would have been able to move out of the way....I think we all agree its a sport for the masses and we all want to enjoy it with smiles on our faces....I do, but don't want to be stuck behind someone whom is either too stupid or too arogant to move out of the way.

Why should the likes of WayLander have to adjust his riding style to compensate for someone in front who is finding the terrain to technical a challenge ?? on a red or black run you expect other riders to have a decent level of skill so you can ride balls out to get your smiles...statements like the one we made are just farking stupid..
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Actually with Pud here.

People who go on black trails with little to no experience on poor gear are often the people who have or cause accidents, which then the emergency serivces have to struggle to get to.

Common sense improves everyones enjoyment of the trails, everyone should push there limits, but the point is to not go a mile beyond them as its can be dangerous not just for you but others.

X2

I was as Gisburn Sunday, Hope line, Berm, 3 Jumps, a guy stood on the 1st Jump, no were for me to go other than over the bars! his excuse "sorry never been here before"

Fair enough but you can see its a jump, why would you stand on the top with your bike admiring the view?

Dangerous for themselves and others, luckly I'd scrubbed most of my speed, but it could have been a lot worse.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Puds, i was purely replying to your comment about the generalist as a rider.

I'm all for everybody enjoying the trails, but being sensible and courteous as they do. Have a go at what you want, as long as it doesn't impact others IMO.