New trails at Coed Llandegla

papertech202
papertech202 Posts: 66
edited January 2012 in Routes
Well I'm new to the forum and only 6 months into MTB's but having been to Llandegla a few times previously I can only say the new routes that have opened are a great improvement.

Spoke to a fair few people in the cafe afterwards and all agreed that the new trails are completly different from the old routes and really are worth doing.

Oh and whilst I'm definatly no expert I'd advise a bit of caution on your first run through as there are quite a few surprises :shock:

Comments

• I know the blue has changed but not been for a while so have there been changes to red or black?
  • Didn't do the new black section as I was flagging a bit after the older black sections. The new red running back to the cafe is a great improvement though. That new valley that it runs through has some nice steep descents in and some pretty lung busting climbs out. Almost did myself an injury on a steep slippery descent just past the lake too. One of those, don't look at the tree or you will hit it moments. Looking forward to doing the new black section next week.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They have been secretly building the new red and black sections throughout the summer.
  • Didn't do the new black section as I was flagging a bit after the older black sections. The new red running back to the cafe is a great improvement though. That new valley that it runs through has some nice steep descents in and some pretty lung busting climbs out. Almost did myself an injury on a steep slippery descent just past the lake too. One of those, don't look at the tree or you will hit it moments. Looking forward to doing the new black section next week.

Was that the off camber descent with just the one tree about 6 inch from the trail? If so i nearly hit the same one :lol:

Rode the new black yesterday and i can honestly say Llandegla has now grown up with drops galore, table tops, rock gardens etc. Even the older black is starting to rut up nicely exposing some roots to keep you on your toes

Shot these of the new black section yesterday, the drop off line i take to pass the other rider is about 3 feet (didn't know what i was letting myself in for) and after one of the tabletops about 1 minute in there is an orange patch of earth to the left that has been catching quite a few riders out.
    http://youtu.be/Lr_4MPvbX7g
    http://youtu.be/L18ThRY96to
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Was that the off camber descent with just the one tree about 6 inch from the trail? If so i nearly hit the same one :lol:

Ah, not just me then.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • Was that the off camber descent with just the one tree about 6 inch from the trail? If so i nearly hit the same one :lol:

Ah, not just me then.

No my mate almost hit it aswel after me :lol: watched a few vids and it looks like a lot are riding to the left hand side of the tree and cutting thier own path
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • orange patch of earth to the left that has been catching quite a few riders out.
    Is that the one about 200m past the new north shore? I spent about an hour there on Sunday waiting for an ambulance to take some bloke to hospital with a dislocated shoulder.

As a side question, does anyone know if the LLandelga staff have a policy of not providing assistance to injured people, but rather waiting for an ambulance to arrive?
  • Arent the trails made by the forrestry & the cafe run by one-planet? Ie if you went to the cafe why would they be first aid trained to have a policy? (I don't know the answer to that by the way, it's just how I thought it worked)

The new section is amazing! I never thought it would go on for so long! I did think, ooh they might want to move that tree! I saw what looked like a broken collar bone just after the doubles near the eand - hope the girls ok :( But yes, much much better, the old red was tedios! No doubt The purists will no doubt complain, but I think there's enough trails in N.Wales for one of them to be like a massive rollercoaster designed for pure grin factor :)
  • I recently had a serious accident here on the black run. I actually broke my neck and had to wait just over an hour for any medical support because it had to come from the ambulance service in Wrexham. This is not great practice and I will be urging them to consider having some trained staff on site. They are making money by charging for parking and through the cafe- why not provide adequate service to ensure safety?! BTW the ambulance had to come 2 times before my accident (at 11am). It would go without saying but I would advise caution on the black run too!
  • They're not meant to transport people off the trail, just in case they have spinal damage for instance. Needs to be done by the ambulance service. Or so Badger told me when I came off earlier in the year.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • I rode it last week, was amazed when I rode past and saw that it was finally open..what a treat!!! absolutely loved it and just what Llandegla needed in the perfect spot. I love degla but that last section from the triplets back to the cafe does get a bit boring, like theyd run out of ideas and just want to get you back home, but now its absolutely fantastic!! loads of drops and northshore and tricky bits..If you havent been for a while, get there!!!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Done the new bits a couple of times now. A massive improvement. Lots of very very fast new sections, with plenty of little doubles and a few drops - going to be a fair few injuries from people out of their depth who probably would be ok on the older tamer stuff.

drumandguitar - you missed out the best bits! That new black section is what makes the red at then end worthwhile.
  • ste_t wrote:
    drumandguitar - you missed out the best bits! That new black section is what makes the red at then end worthwhile.

Will probably head over there tomorrow.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • new black is very fast. that said there is an uncomfortably large amount of climbing especially as it's near the end of the trail. But I will definitely be back for more.
    We had an off but thankfully he survived, i turned around to check he was ok coming down the rather rocky steep decent and all i saw was his bike upside down in mid air, no sign of the rider!.. As I say thankfully apart from a few scratches and a small amount of blood he was ok to continue..
  • I went yesterday, the changes have made a big difference, I thought it made the black/red runs much harder (more technical, faster and more steep up hills). The last bit is no longer a "boring stretch" to the end, but more effort required to get there.

There were lots of people pushing early on in the course, and through the forest - trying direct short cuts! :roll: , almost everyone was pushing on the last section, managed to ride it all but it was a real lung buster :cry:

I am not the fastest on the decents, but I was almost caught out a few times, and avoided one of the steep drop offs :oops: would be tempted to try in on my own, but there was a big que of people and did want to fall of in front of them :mrgreen:

Had a great burger in the cafe, for £3.50 parking it is a bargain IMO, its just a pain in the ass for me to drive to :x
  • jmmilligan wrote:
    I recently had a serious accident here on the black run. I actually broke my neck and had to wait just over an hour for any medical support because it had to come from the ambulance service in Wrexham. This is not great practice and I will be urging them to consider having some trained staff on site. They are making money by charging for parking and through the cafe- why not provide adequate service to ensure safety?! BTW the ambulance had to come 2 times before my accident (at 11am). It would go without saying but I would advise caution on the black run too!

You should go prepared to look after yourself, you're your own responsibility and shouldn't expect anyone else come help, although in reality someone always will.

It's attitudes and opinions like this that unfortunately make places like chicksands pull down their north shore because people threaten legal action when they hurt themselves.
  • omegas
    GSP1984 wrote:
    jmmilligan wrote:
    I recently had a serious accident here on the black run. I actually broke my neck

You should go prepared to look after yourself,

Just out of interest how would you look after yourself if you broke your neck :?
  • omegas wrote:
    GSP1984 wrote:
    jmmilligan wrote:
    I recently had a serious accident here on the black run. I actually broke my neck

Just out of interest how would you look after yourself if you broke your neck :?

The same way you would if you were riding in the Alps or not at a 'trail centre' in the wilderness where you can't rely on (or expect to rely on) the staff of a local cafe... Don't ride on your own, have a first aid kit, some basic first aid skills and know where you are if you need to call for help.
  • Went last weekend and blasted round two laps of the Red/Black and was really impressed. The old Red/Black loop always used to leave you feeling a little undercooked but not really fancying bothering with the drag out for second lap. Now it's a no brainer and I was champing at the bit for a second time around. Decent amount of climbing so you feel as though you've done something but plenty of downhill reward too. Not sure I agree about more folks hurting themselves. It's still not massively technical compared to CYB or my home trails (Dark Peak) and mostly roll-able... that tree is a bit tricksy though and I had a handlebar clip near miss. Great to see One Planet re-investing all the money I've spent on cake and bacon butties.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    omegas wrote:
    GSP1984 wrote:
    jmmilligan wrote:

Accidents can happen, you need to have the right type of bike and equipment, I have seen people riding HT's on the black with no or little protection....the trails need to be in your capability, I have seen people ride the black brakes squealing etc..you are not only a danger to yourself but to others....weekend trail warriors get on my tits...they ride the black so then can boast to their mates...what they won't tell them though is they rode it baddly.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • omegas
    Pudseyp wrote:
    I have seen people riding HT's on the black

No way ... your frame would snap in half and wheels would explode. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Pudseyp
    omegas wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:
    I have seen people riding HT's on the black

No way ... your frame would snap in half and wheels would explode. :lol::lol::lol:

My point was yes you get competent riders on HT's but most of the ones I see are the ones where they have dusted one off to ride the black coz its cool.....I nearly had a bad accident last week when to a$$holes on crapy HT's were stopped on top of a small drop off...if you can't ride it comfortably you shouldn't be on it like I said that's how accidents happen...
  • I have seen people ride the black brakes squealing etc..you are not only a danger to yourself
    In what way are squeally brakes a danger to someone else?
    they ride the black so then can boast to their mates.
    If you really think that riding the black at Llandegla is something to boast about then you really are setting your sights too low.

if you can't ride it comfortably you shouldn't be on it
    Incorrect.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    Incorrect.

agreed, how are folk meant to get as good as you pudsey? :roll:

also if you are hammering it so fast you cant stop in the distance you can see, it sounds like its your riding thats causing the hazard......
  • Pudseyp
    I have seen people ride the black brakes squealing etc..you are not only a danger to yourself
    In what way are squeally brakes a danger to someone else?
    Incorrect.

Err you mad ? the point I am trying to make is that riding outside your capabilities is dangerous...not only that you spoil the trail for more competent riders....the old black section is full of braking bumps and holes where people are braking when they don't need to...a lot of work goes into building these trails...
  • Pudseyp
    tsenior wrote:
    Incorrect.

agreed, how are folk meant to get as good as you pudsey? :roll:

also if you are hammering it so fast you cant stop in the distance you can see, it sounds like its your riding thats causing the hazard......

I am not super quick by any means but I know my limit and I have some fecking common sense in not to stop in the middle of a very fast section....

Yes if you can't ride it comfortably you shouldn't be on it...to bloody right..you wouldn't climb everest with no ropes and in flip flops....its all about having the right tools and skills...
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    Yes if you can't ride it comfortably you shouldn't be on it

Err..since when did you become the trails police?

I understand what you are trying to say I think, but live and let live eh? Nothing up with pushing yourself which means riding outside your comfort zone every now and then. It would be pretty boring otherwise.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Planet X Uncle John
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    Those comments are a bit ridiculous. I understand what your getting at, but soon you will be saying racism is ok........

I think what your saying is that there are people who just go for the black run without realising their skill level isn't up to it, meaning they cause issues behind them and can damage the trails.

Also, I've ridden the black run's on a hardtail, infact, there's nothing on the black runs that could stop a competent rider doing it on a rigid.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Yes if you can't ride it comfortably you shouldn't be on it

Err..since when did you become the trails police?

I understand what you are trying to say I think, but live and let live eh? Nothing up with pushing yourself which means riding outside your comfort zone every now and then. It would be pretty boring otherwise.

Trails police now there's an idea...

Thing is there are plenty of signs up about the trails and about the skill level required...hence why there is beginer, intemediate and advanced..I think of myself as intemediate/advanced...the point I am trying to make is you get beginers that are new to the sport trying the black runs which is not only putting themself in danger but others...I agree with riding on the limit as that's where you get the buzz....all am trying to say is to use common sense. I have seen sections of trail that have been closed due to accidents which then spoils it for others.
  • Pudseyp
    Dirtrider wrote:
    Those comments are a bit ridiculous. I understand what your getting at, but soon you will be saying racism is ok........

I think what your saying is that there are people who just go for the black run without realising their skill level isn't up to it, meaning they cause issues behind them and can damage the trails.

Also, I've ridden the black run's on a hardtail, infact, there's nothing on the black runs that could stop a competent rider doing it on a rigid.

I will ignore the rasist bit...

Again someone who has taken it all out of context..and again I reiterate...yes you can ride the black on a decent hardtail..again the point is people that dust of there old hardtail or supermarket special...

"I think what your saying is that there are people who just go for the black run without realising their skill level isn't up to it, meaning they cause issues behind them and can damage the trails."............yes in a way but you should have common sense to know the grading system...if you were new to skiing would you go on a black run without realising your skill level wasn't up to it.....no you wouldn't, so why is my example any different...