New trails at Coed Llandegla

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    DodgeT wrote:
    Puds, i was purely replying to your comment about the generalist as a rider.

I'm all for everybody enjoying the trails, but being sensible and courteous as they do. Have a go at what you want, as long as it doesn't impact others IMO.

Yes....but what rights has he to question how other people ride....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    None, the same as anyone else.

Unless its your trail centre their riding on, everyones fortunately or unfortunately free to do whatever they please.
  • See if i was on a natural trail i might say i would ride slower just in case.

But when a trail is clearly marked with a difficulty level I expect people to use common sense and not use facilities that are a mile outside of there abilities. Thats common sense. And people who say i have never ridden before and end up on a trail with big signs saying difficult you must have a quality bike and so on is just being unresponsable towards other trail users.
  • Pudseyp
    DodgeT wrote:
    None, the same as anyone else.

Unless its your trail centre their riding on, everyones fortunately or unfortunately free to do whatever they please.

In a way I do agree, but like I have said all along...use the brain under the helmet...it really is that simple...

(or they are obviously simple not to)
  • .obviously you don't understand the word adrenaline in anyway....

hmmm, let me see...

When I kayaked Amot Canyon and Ula slides in Norway, or the Styx in New Zealand or the Coruh in Turkey yep I got adrenaline.

When I parachuted for the the first time I got adrenaline.

When I set up my first bridge jump I got adrenaline.

When the helicopter pilot said it was too windy to land at the drop zone for the Hokitika River in New Zealand but he was going to try it anyway, I got big adrenaline.

When I climbed Super Crack of the Desert in Utah after watching loads of people fail, I got adrenaline.

When I soloed 100 rock climbs in a day in the Peak District I got adrenaline.

When I did The Beast, Red Bull, Dragons Back and Afon at CyB in a day I got some adrenaline, but not enough to last.

When I climbed South Gully of the Black Wall on Beinn Ulaidh I got adrenaline, but not as much as when I was ice climbing in Norway.

When I snowboarded Canalone Staunies in Cortina I got adrenaline, as I did when I skied the FlyPaper at Glen Coe and every time I jump the cornice at Nevis Range.

When I walked the bad step on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail in Moab I got adrenaline. When I cycled the SlickRock I got stacks of adrenaline.

This Saturday we plan to go Deep Water Soloing in the Gulf or Hormuz (look it up on Google). If that goes according to plan then I expect to get big big adrenaline.

But you're right, I do have a hybrid.
  • Pudseyp
    .obviously you don't understand the word adrenaline in anyway....

hmmm, let me see...

When I kayaked Amot Canyon and Ula slides in Norway, or the Styx in New Zealand or the Coruh in Turkey yep I got adrenaline.

When I parachuted for the the first time I got adrenaline.

When I set up my first bridge jump I got adrenaline.

When the helicopter pilot said it was too windy to land at the drop zone for the Hokitika River in New Zealand but he was going to try it anyway, I got big adrenaline.

When I climbed Super Crack of the Desert in Utah after watching loads of people fail, I got adrenaline.

When I soloed 100 rock climbs in a day in the Peak District I got adrenaline.

When I did The Beast, Red Bull, Dragons Back and Afon at CyB in a day I got some adrenaline, but not enough to last.

When I climbed South Gully of the Black Wall on Beinn Ulaidh I got adrenaline, but not as much as when I was ice climbing in Norway.

When I snowboarded Canalone Staunies in Cortina I got adrenaline, as I did when I skied the FlyPaper at Glen Coe and every time I jump the cornice at Nevis Range.

When I walked the bad step on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail in Moab I got adrenaline. When I cycled the SlickRock I got stacks of adrenaline.

This Saturday we plan to go Deep Water Soloing in the Gulf or Hormuz (look it up on Google). If that goes according to plan then I expect to get big big adrenaline.

But you're right, I do have a hybrid.

Are you really Bear Grylls ? if not you should write a book.....
  • See if i was on a natural trail i might say i would ride slower just in case.

But when a trail is clearly marked with a difficulty level I expect people to use common sense and not use facilities that are a mile outside of there abilities. Thats common sense. And people who say i have never ridden before and end up on a trail with big signs saying difficult you must have a quality bike and so on is just being unresponsable towards other trail users.

That's the problem though and there's been a whole thread debating this, there's no consistency of grading at trail centres. The rider in question might have happily bimbled round the Red at say Sherwood Pines and assumed that a Red route at a different trail centre offered a similar level of difficulty. Not really their fault and a fairly easy mistake to make.

My wife has happily ridden the Red at Sherwood Pines but, with her current skill level (hopefully to improve after a course this weekend), I know she'd struggle with the Reds at Llandegla or Whinlatter. As I said on an earlier post the best way to deal with the problem is, like on the Red and Black trails at CYB, to have some technically challenging but not steep or fast stuff early on to safely put off riders who don't have the necessary skills.

Unless you're going to ride them outside of busy times, I think you've just got to assume you're always going to potentially come across some riders who are struggling a bit or riding slowly at Trail Centres and back off a bit accordingly. This doesn't mean having a dull time, just being in control, giving people room and being able to scrub off the speed if necessary.
  • .obviously you don't understand the word adrenaline in anyway....

When I climbed Super Crack .... I got adrenaline.

/ Snigger
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    PudseyP wrote:
    but what rights has he to question how other people ride....
    This is what (almost) everyone else has been saying. For all TheWaylander knew, there could have been injured rider lying on the trail, or maybe fallen tree. If he can't stop in the distance he can see (which it sounds like he can't) then that's his choice, his risk and not the choice of the rider who dared to go slower than him.
    Just because someone is riding something slower than you, doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the trail. How would PudseyP and TheWaylander feel if they were told that they shouldn't be riding certian trails until they could climb at least as fast as njee20?

It's not 'your' trail. Everyone is allowed to use it. I agree, stopping on the trail is foolish, there were some kids at Cannock at the weekend who'd put their bikes down on the trail while they walked off to look at one of the optional 'balance beam' logs.

But to say "what rights has he to question how other people ride" right after doing exactly that yourself....:wink:

Also, Pudsey, you said earlier on that no-one should ride anything that's not well within their comfort zone, but when someone suggests making sure you're able to stop safely, all of a sudden he doesn't know what adrenaline is. I'd say never pushing yourself out of your comfort zone sounds pretty adrenaline-free.

Everyone starts somewhere. How do you know you can ride something whilst staying 'within your comfort zone' if you're not allowed to ride until you know....it's a catch 22.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Pudseyp
    Bails....your missing my point, in most sports there is an element of danger, skiing, climbing etc....etc...in these sports you get adrenalin kicks...my point is in most sports you have the right level of kit and you choose carefuly what route you are going to take...so why should mountain biking be any different ?

All I am saying is apply some common sense at the start and choose your route and then if your out of your depth and find yourself struggling and need to stop, then make sure your well off the trail.

I am not a kill joy, but do get pi$$ed off with some idiots that don't think..ride outside their ability and ruin the trail in carving out brake bumps and ruts..

You have a brain so use it.
  • With puds again here Bails,

Yarp i was rocketing fair enough, but generally if most people are moving then its not an issue( and i don't even mean moving fast) and if there is an injury normally at a trail center people will be milling around making it very obvious.

It's the people with little or no trail experience, and we have easier blue and green trails at trail centers for them to get there legs on, so they can advance, the only way i can try describe what i'm getting at is to use my old martial arts similies.
    Imagine been put into a martial arts calss with minimal experience, then you put into a knock out fight with say a brown belt(one of top so equivelant in this expample to a red trail) you would be knocked out flat. So a good instructor would not match you up to someone so experienced in a knock out competiton your matched to people more your level. And similar in skiiing and instructor wouldn't let you go on a black your first week out or generally a red unless your naturally gifted and progress very fast. we jsut ask people to use the same type of good old common sense.

And i agree to a point with further up that the ratings are all over :) but there are forums locals and plenty of information around and people should find out before attempting something in my veiw. I don't expect people to be as fast as me ever thats not what were getting at. But the person i ended behind was riding errattically and dangerously because she obviously scared and having trouble. If she had used common sense she would have been far better off, as it was she couldn't even let past as she was to busy clinging to her bike for dear life!
  • DodgeT
    Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, to get back to the OP, I rode the new trails last week, red and black and I was really impressed. Didn't have any issues with anyone and had a cracking day. It was saturday too.

Degla's gone from a boring blast to a good dose of fun IMO :D
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    bails87 wrote:
    there could have been injured rider lying on the trail

This for me is the key point for setting your speed on a trail although I know it's not always going to be possible on blind jumps etc so just be a bit sensible.

Anyway, as DodgeT said its great that the closest trail centre to me is now loads better.
  • bails87
    Waylander, Pudsey: I agree, if someone is way out of their depth and struggling then it would be sensible for them, for their own good, to ride something easier and (especially at a place like delga that's got the skills seciton) practice until they're a bit more competent. It was more the contradictions of the argument that I was calling up.

The posts just sounded like "you were going slower than me, so it's your fault I nearly crashed into you". Which was the exact opposite of the "what right have you got to question someone else's riding" statement.

Of course people should have safe equipment. But if someone chooses to ride around Cwm Carn (for example) on a rigid 1990s MTB, wearing a pair of jeans, a cotton tshirt and a helmet rather than 'proper' riding gear then why shouldn't they? It's not dangerous. They'd probably be slower than me with my 150mm of travel, but they're not doing anything wrong. As trail centre users (rather than trail centre owners) we have to deal with the fact that other people use the trails.

So, IMO....
    leaving bikes on trails: bad.
    blocking trails or jumps: bad
    Standing around at the end of trail sections, blocking them while having a chat: bad
    doing repairs on the trail rather than off to the side: bad

riding a trail on a sh1t bike: fine
    riding a trail slowly: fine
    riding a technical bit carefully: fine
    finding something difficult: fine
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    Oh yeah, and the changes sound good, I need to get up there to try it out soon! I enjoyed it when I rode there last winter, even with dying (and then dead!) suspension.
    MTB/CX

• + people far far out there depths.. bad?
  • Pudseyp
    + Arrogant weekend warriors (all the gear no idea) bad......

Anyway...just got back from a very quiet deggy which was briliant...though on the old section of black I could hear a rider who was obviously faster than me as he was closing quite fast....what did I do...hogg the middle of the trail ? no.....stop ? no.....I pulled over to the side and let him through. I did not hold him up and I carried on......it really was that simple....and at the end of the section I caught him on the climb and he said cheers...if only others applied the same logic.....then again I am perfect ! icon_wink.gif
  • Pudseyp
    For those who haven't ridden the new b-line here is a video of Neil "the don" Donoghue showing how its done...this is only the top section.....
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/227553/
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DodgeT wrote:
    Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, to get back to the OP, I rode the new trails last week, red and black and I was really impressed. Didn't have any issues with anyone and had a cracking day. It was saturday too.

Degla's gone from a boring blast to a good dose of fun IMO :D

hmmm, not sure i agree

i rode it today and whilst the new sections are pretty decent, it doesnt make up for the lack of decent descent

the new section that starts on the boardwalk was pretty good. The jumps are well made so you can nail them if you want to, or just roll them. They could have made more of the rock sections, but its pretty fast and good fun.

today was my 2nd time at Llandelga and TBH prob my last. I dont mind climbing, but Llandegla seems to have a disparity between the volume of climbing and a decent descent afterwards. Cannock has some killer climbing also, but the descent pay off is worth it. I just feel that you spent 10-15 mins climbing and you get a meh descent at Llandegla. That said, i did the first jumps section today and that was good.

i did experience whats been discussed here. I got there at 9am and the carpark was nearly full and there were a lot of people on the trail. Lots of people felt that it was fine to just stop on the trail to chat about the bit they has just rode. One guy on a Cannondale was blocking the whole trail with his bike and just continued chatting with his mate as people tried to get past him. That said, i didnt see many people on the trails that were out of their depth. Many overbiked (my mate was on a 10 year old Saracen with semi slicks and he was out riding them), and one c*ck who clearly didnt like being overtaken on a climb.

I did enjoy cause my bike is finally the way i want it now, but given the choice between Deggy and Cannock, for me its Cannock every time...
  • DodgeT
    DCR00 wrote:
    but given the choice between Deggy and Cannock, for me its Cannock every time...

I'd prefer to go uphill with no down at the the end of it than to go cannock.

But thats what makes it all the more interesting choosing a trail centre, everybodys taste is different :)
  • DCR00
    DodgeT wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:
    but given the choice between Deggy and Cannock, for me its Cannock every time...

I'd prefer to go uphill with no down at the the end of it than to go cannock.

But thats what makes it all the more interesting choosing a trail centre, everybodys taste is different :)

v true mate
  • DCR00 wrote:
    Cannock has some killer climbing also,

Really?????
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    I was at degla yesterday too and yes, very busy. New black section is good fun and is a great addition to what was otherwise a straight ride back to the café. Uphills do seem to outweigh the downhills though!

On the subject of people standing in the middle of the trails, there were two guys walking the Northshore as I came down....not good!
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    well after seeing a well know bike shop owner take his road bike around the old red, and few rigids on the black, its nice to see a varied choice of bikes

as for "slow" riders on the red or black, as long as they dont just in the middle of the trail its cool, most have paid as much as the others to ride at llandegla

how would you feel being buzzed, by say danny hart, am sure he would be a bit faster them most here, who would be the slow one then?

as for skills, i guess you could hammer the blue, but find the new red, rather hard, but how would you know , without trying? same for the black

took me 2 hours 15 min to do the old black, from start to finish, guess i should be banned

as for the new stuff, its great, well done to all at OPA for the work its taken ( 4 years)
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Sounds like Llandegla has improved, I rode it in the summer and was slightly disappointed, especially as some of the Red was closed, although at least it made for an easier loop after all the climbing on the black.

I have a question though, I've only ridden once, in the summer, but fancy a go on the new loops in December (weather permitting), but are there any showers there as I don't remember seeing any? Don't fancy getting in the car covered in mud, never mind the 2hr drive home.
  • DodgeT
    Not 100% sure but don't think there's any showers. Just wear some leggings, then fresh set of clothes in the car and your sorted.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    3rd time there on saturday and probably won't go back for a while. I've only been to CyB once and did the MBR, but it was so much better, the descents are a lot longer and the climbing doesn't feel as uneccersary.

Had to queue for the bike wash for about half an our due to an annoying woman using about £4 in the machine on ONE bike.

Maybe they should create more trails there, completely seperate to the existing ones.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • DCR00
    DCR00 wrote:
    Cannock has some killer climbing also,

Really?????

the end of the Monkey Trail...
  • LOL Cannock is flat.... simples all of it every last bit and yes i've ridden it all a few times.
  • Did it for the third time on Sat. Had a VERY near miss that would likely have ended in blood and bone parts exiting my body, still loved every second though. I really cant believe how busy it was in the car park, every space was taken all the way to the bottom gate, and a lot of people were making their own spaces. Weirdly the trail wasnt any busier than normal, nor was the cafe