Worst comedians/comedy characters?

124»

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Seems like everyone likes Jack Dee (I do) as he hasn't been mentioned at all.

I'm in danger here of missing the point of the thread, but am also a big fan of Dee, not least due to his having pulled off [1] the impossible task of being a decent successor to Humphrey Lyttelton on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

David

[1] There really ought to be a Lionel Blair "Sound Charades" double entendre in there.... ;)
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Mine is surely Gilbert Gottfried, I really hate him and never watch his comedies.
  • DavidBelcher
    Corden co-wrote Gavin and Stacey, which was excellent.

Writing a sit-com though is different to being a comedian or a character.

Indeed. As his dire sketch show Horne & Corden proved - I doubt if Mitchell & Webb lost much sleep over that BBC3 offering.

David
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I don't know if it's socially acceptable to say this, but I've always found at least 50% of what Monty Python did very unfunny (but the other 50% hilarious.)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    neilo23 wrote:
    I don't know if it's socially acceptable to say this, but I've always found at least 50% of what Monty Python did very unfunny (but the other 50% hilarious.)

Most of it isn't funny to me.

The only bit of python I actually lol'd at was "just one waffer thin mint"
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    neilo23 wrote:

I used to find that hilarious, too, but I was about 15 at the time. Most of it just seemed like a bunch of toffs trying their best to be wacky. Here in Germany they love it and think that we Brits know every line. They can't believe that a Brit isn't always a fan.

I'm glad someone else doesn't rate them. I thought I was being sacrilegious. I do like several comics they inspired, though, such as Reeves and Mortimor.
  • DavidBelcher
    neilo23 wrote:

It does smack of iconoclasm, but you've definitely got a point - some of the sketches are completely lost on me whereas others might well find them hilarious. Yet Palin and Cleese's solo projects for the BBC (Ripping Yarns & Fawlty Towers respectively) rarely played a bum note....

David
  • DavidBelcher
    neilo23 wrote:
    Most of it just seemed like a bunch of toffs trying their best to be wacky.

My thoughts exactly.
    neilo23 wrote:
    I do like several comics they inspired, though, such as Reeves and Mortimor.

<R&M>

I heard that rumour.

I know, I started it.

You lying get!

etc., etc.

</R&M>

;)

David
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I forgot to mention, Peter Kay!
    I don't mind phoenix nights and some of the early stuff but I went along with a few folk to see him in Manchester the other week, one good bit about Sky+ and that was it, no wonder it was his farewell tour.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Whenever Morcambe and Wise are repeated on TV, they are still the best comedy on TV. Howzatt for progress.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    neilo23 wrote:

I'd say 75% unfunny 25% hilarious.

MPFC is only worth watching on a Best Of.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    MichaelW wrote:
    Whenever Morcambe and Wise are repeated on TV, they are still the best comedy on TV. Howzatt for progress.

Now that is one act I could happily never ever see again. Awful.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Agree on Peter Kaye - his audience is getting more and more niche I think. He's in danger of becoming a Northern comic with a purely Northern working class audience. While, er, simultaneously taking the piss out of such acts...

Reeves & Mortimer feel extremely 90s these days. I literally cant believe they brought back that dead duck, Shooting Stars. What a waste of a prime time slot.
  • rick_chasey
    neilo23 wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

I used to find that hilarious, too, but I was about 15 at the time. Most of it just seemed like a bunch of toffs trying their best to be wacky. Here in Germany they love it and think that we Brits know every line. They can't believe that a Brit isn't always a fan.

I'm glad someone else doesn't rate them. I thought I was being sacrilegious. I do like several comics they inspired, though, such as Reeves and Mortimor.

I'd imagine it's partly just because it's dated. It also seems to attract the heavily bearded / warhammer model wielding corner of the world too nowadays.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    Can't believe Lee Nelson has only got one mention-utter utter cack.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    timb64 wrote:
    Can't believe Lee Nelson has only got one mention-utter utter cack.

I find him mildly amusing, certainly no less amusing than the sainted (on here) Morecombe & Wise, or Tommy Cooper.
  • rick_chasey
    Why not more hate for Jim Davidson?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Too pathetic.

It's like watching Downfall - Hitler just seems too much of a broken figure to truly hate.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

Too pathetic.

It's like watching Downfall - Hitler just seems too much of a broken figure to truly hate.

Eh, I guess so.

I once watched 5 minutes of his standup on youtube. I found it very very tough to sit through it all.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Vic and Bob.

... end of.
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177

Cos he's a comic genius nick nick :wink:
  • donncha
    donncha Posts: 31
    I have to turn the TV over every time Jack Whitehall appears. I was saying last night that I bet someone in his family was a producer or director. He is a talentless twat.

Rigga wrote:
    Just remembered another one....

Jack Whitehall :evil:

Arrghhh!!!! Hate that fool!!!

Only there because of his dad - BBC casting agent.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Rigga wrote:
    Where do i start?

'Comedy' Dave from Chris Moyles show (and Chris Moyles)..
    Harry Enfield
    Lenny Henry
    David Walliams

To name but a few.. :roll:

Agree with all of these but especially Comedy Dave and Chris Moyles, surely Comedy Dave is in breach of the Trade Descriptions act
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Right then.

Lee Nelson
    Catherine Tate utterly talentless.
    Vic and Bob - especially vic, he's just a P*ss head these days, no?
    Peter Kaye has some great characters, but as for him as a person, starting to wear thin, believing his own hype

Going to get slated for this:

Morecambe and Wise, may have been funny in the day, but now, really? is that still funny? Same goes for Tommy Cooper, although think that's less down to him and more down to so many people copying his style, badly. Ken Dodd, about as funny as a hole in a lifeboat. Roy Chubby Brown - utter w@nker. Walliams and Lucas get on my tits. Jim Davidson, well do i really need to say?

EDIT: Griff Rhys Jones or however you spell it, from watching those Men in a boat things with Rory Mgrath, he comes across as a right smarmy up his own arse tosser.

EDIT2: Anything slapstick, including Laurel and Hardy, not funny in the slightest.

Ill get my coat...
  • I watched a clip of Richard Pryor the other day and thought he was pretty good. Then again, I also like early Woody Allen.
  • Chris Addison
    a) showstoppingly talentless
    b) moves to London from I forget where, then has the balls to whinge about Londoners outside his act, twunt
    "Consider the grebe..."