The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Hi,

I've recently bought a C8, which is a pretty good torch, but I found that strong handlebars rattle can make it switch the modes. It seems to be a common problem, so I've checked the pill and screwed it tight. The problem is that now the reflector and lens are a bit loose, so they rattle all the time. What is the best way to fix them in place? Are there any O-rings available?

Thanks.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The lens should also be able to be tightened-there should be a ring around the lens similar to at the tailcap that can be turned with a screwdriver to tighten. Finally, you could put some alu foil around the pill,reflector/led part to pack it out and improve heat management at the same time.
  • leaflite
    Managed to find a mount that fits the 3t6:
    http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/universal-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-gadgets-p-3338

Went out for a ride with it last night. First impressions are that it is amazingly bright and very well made, with nice heatsinking. The length(2cell mode) is not a problem, it doesnt stick out much more than my 70mm stem.

It weighs roughly 460g with batteries, which isnt too bad considering a setup such as a niterider pro 3000 at £600 (with a similar light output!!!) weighs 840g. I used it for about 1-1.5 hrs on either medium or high mode and the batteries still have plenty of life left. Medium mode, which would give around a 2-3hr burn time (I think), is as bright as a single 2.8a xml torch, but with much more flood. It seems perfect for mtbing, giving great brightness, but also matching the flood of the more expensive "dedicated" bike lights. Highly recommended.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    leaflite wrote:
    Managed to find a mount that fits the 3t6:
    http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/universal-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-gadgets-p-3338

Went out for a ride with it last night. First impressions are that it is amazingly bright and very well made, with nice heatsinking. The length(2cell mode) is not a problem, it doesnt stick out much more than my 70mm stem.

It weighs roughly 460g with batteries, which isnt too bad considering a setup such as a niterider pro 3000 at £600 (with a similar light output!!!) weighs 840g. I used it for about 1-1.5 hrs on either medium or high mode and the batteries still have plenty of life left. Medium mode, which would give around a 2-3hr burn time (I think), is as bright as a single 2.8a xml torch, but with much more flood. It seems perfect for mtbing, giving great brightness, but also matching the flood of the more expensive "dedicated" bike lights. Highly recommended.

How about some beam shots? I quite like the look of it so would be interesting to see what it's like compared to a couple of 501b's (or other P60).
  • got a chance to use my 502b's last night. nothign to demanding but some totally unlit fireroad type paths. i had no trouble at all seeing. had 2 on the bar, one on the head and tbh i could make do with just my head torch if i needed to. with all 3 on high it lit up really well, nice large hot spot with loads of flood. i dont think there would be any problem with offroad apart from really fast/techincal but even then i thnik it would still be ok. very impressed for the price!
  • leaflite
    Havent got any beam shots yet unfortunately.

I was riding with a few people. Between us we had a variety of single xml torches, including 501bs with smooth reflectors, genuine solarforce l2s with smooth reflectors and a fake solarforce l2 with 2 cells and an orange peel reflector. The 3t6 had much, much larger and brighter flood than all of these-rather than the "tunnel of light" that most single xml torches give-this lights up all the surrounding trees, bushes etc! The throw is no better than a single xml torch, however-this torch is definately designed for flood, not throw.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is the the FandyFire, same as mine?
  • Neal_
    Loads of flood does sound good. I think small reflectors like that are the way forward for a bike light so it gives flood paired up with some bigger reflectors for more throw.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Yes, while a p7 is naturally floody, because its lumen per 2mm is lower and its a large LED, its not a reason to invest in old LED technology. Better in my view to buy a light with a small head that works well with the current XM-Ls.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    broona wrote:
    You been out any more with this combo yet mate? Looking for a set of cheap'ish lights for next weekend, very tempted to order some of these from the UK site. Cheers. :D

Not yet, Tuesday is my night ride.

Some more pics showing the way it's mounted for those that have asked. It's via a simple rubber 'O' ring, although I added a small piece of old innertube inside the mount to stop it slipping. Again, it's one of the little things missing to cut costs that the magicshine 808e has as standard. Notice the dob of silicon around the wire entry point too. Just to be safe!

IMAG0677.jpg

For the helmet mount, I cut the ends off the elastic where it was joined to the mount & then used the original elastic to loop it around my helmet (like doing up a belt). I didn't want to use cable ties as they can dig into & crush the polystyrene of your helmet & also make the light too rigid when you hit the inevitable tree. Doing it this way ensures the light remains in place, yet has some give in it when that branch comes out of nowhere!

IMAG0681.jpg

This is how to seal the battery ends. Not pretty, but effective.

IMAG0683.jpg

Again, these lights are perfect for any competent DIYer to make waterproof & snug. If not, get the 808e for £20 per light more.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Gwaredd wrote:

Many thanks for the reply, ordered my set from the UK warehouse, should hopefully be here this week.

Came to £65.74 when I added them to my basket, clicked on 'Enable Bulkrate Prices' which reduced it to £61.29, then when I checked out through Paypal, converting from Dollars to Pounds calculated it as £57.48, bargain! 8)
  • Gwaredd
    Awesome! That's cheaper than mine from HK :lol:
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Making mounting clips for these lights is pretty easy. I rooted around and found an old clip from a cheap LED set, drilled a hole and trimmed away some plastic and hey presto I now have a quick release mount for my lights:DSCF3997.jpg
  • leaflite
    supersonic wrote:
    Is the the FandyFire, same as mine?

It is a trustfire 3t6 from lightmalls. It looks very similar to the fandyfire but apparrently uses a different driver.
  • leaflite
    Some rather unscientific beamshots using a cheap digital camera:

No lights:
    pc050293.jpg

Trustfire TR-3T6
    pc050290.jpg
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Chaps,

What do you think of the Exposure Diablo Mk3 front like? I've seen a deal on the net for the light and a piggyback battery for £200.

Just wondering what your views are of it?

I'm also after a cheapo rear light if you could enlighten me?

Cheers,

Ryan
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • supersonic
    It's one of the better 'value' Exposure lights, but still far too much compared to what else is out there.

For less money, yet much brighter with four times the runtime is this:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/MJ-872-ENDURO
  • ryan_w-2
    Wowzers (yes I just said that).... THAT is a serious bit of kit!

Is is helment mountable though?

• ryan_w-2
    supersonic wrote:
    Yup!

Does it come with a helmet mount? Is it much heavier than the Exposure?

Cheers

• supersonic
    Is helmet mountable as it says in the blurb.

Dunno if heavier, I guess so as the battery will be bigger.
  • Hi,

Bought 2 of each of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300587887063? ... 1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330600130189? ... 1497.l2649

2 out of 4 of them are sufferinng with vibration induced issues. The smaller one goes really dim in a few seconds, if you give it a smack it starts working properly for a few seconds. Then fades quickly away again. The larger one just goes on and off and switches modes over rough ground. I'm pretty sure its the switch end on both units that is duff, but is there something obvious that needs looking at? I have read a few things about these Honk Kong units coming faulty and there are various fixes? Anyone got any advice?
  • supersonic
    Look in the tailcap and you should see a nut with two holes. Use a pick and tighten it down.

I use a piece of cardboard around the inside of the torch tube to stop the cell rattling about.
  • Neal_
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Chaps,

What do you think of the Exposure Diablo Mk3 front like? I've seen a deal on the net for the light and a piggyback battery for £200.

Just wondering what your views are of it?

I'm also after a cheapo rear light if you could enlighten me?

Cheers,

Ryan

Plenty of cheaper recommended front lights on here but for for rear lights get yourself a couple of these, one is plenty bright enough (actually it's blinding) but having two means if one fails you won't be in danger.

Cheapest I've found is Wheelies ebay shop http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RSP-Astrum-Du ... 3f10367a1d
    leaflite wrote:
    Some rather unscientific beamshots using a cheap digital camera:

Cheers, nice an even.
  • supersonic
    The triple XML is just stunning, I am modding 30 quid XML ebay DX special battery pack with mine.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Look in the tailcap and you should see a nut with two holes. Use a pick and tighten it down.

I use a piece of cardboard around the inside of the torch tube to stop the cell rattling about.

Tried tightening it, losening it, taking it apart, and packing the battery. Still if I tap it firmly on my hand it will change through modes. If I tighten it up it sometimes won't turn on at all even.
  • supersonic
    Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Only remedy is to strip it and have a look.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Clarky78 wrote:
    Anyone got any advice?

watch my video - for suggested fixes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpQAvum0bM

This is almost certainly due to something being loose.
  • Gwaredd
    supersonic wrote:
    It's one of the better 'value' Exposure lights, but still far too much compared to what else is out there.

For less money, yet much brighter with four times the runtime is this:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/MJ-872-ENDURO

That comes with 2 batteries though, not one bigger one. 1 battery version is on offer here & a bargain: http://www.magicshinedirect.co.uk/?gclid=CNen4_6M7awCFbQntAodLFOSNA
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Clarky78 wrote:
    Hi,

Bought 2 of each of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300587887063? ... 1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330600130189? ... 1497.l2649

2 out of 4 of them are sufferinng with vibration induced issues. The smaller one goes really dim in a few seconds, if you give it a smack it starts working properly for a few seconds. Then fades quickly away again. The larger one just goes on and off and switches modes over rough ground. I'm pretty sure its the switch end on both units that is duff, but is there something obvious that needs looking at? I have read a few things about these Honk Kong units coming faulty and there are various fixes? Anyone got any advice?

You might want to consider getting a refund if they don't work. I went through this with 3 similar torches from DX and only one really works properly despite following all the tips I could find including DIYs very handy videos. The one that does work only works because I resoldered the switch. The other two I keep as spare torches for the car but even then i cannot rely on them working without constant messing around.

I've found the MJ808 style lamps to be far more reliable.