night riding...

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    torch has arrived..it's bloody bright! night ride tomorrow me thinks :D
  • on the ride i went on yesterday passed a guy in slippers and dressing down in the woods, about a mile from the nearest houses i think he was sleep walking, wasn't responding to lights or my voice, either that or he was a zombie :lol:
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    on the ride i went on yesterday passed a guy in slippers and dressing down in the woods, about a mile from the nearest houses i think he was sleep walking, wasn't responding to lights or my voice, either that or he was a zombie :lol:

Did he look like this?

shandystringfellow.jpg
  • welshkev
    on the ride i went on yesterday passed a guy in slippers and dressing down in the woods, about a mile from the nearest houses i think he was sleep walking, wasn't responding to lights or my voice, either that or he was a zombie :lol:

he didn't speak cos he'd just killed and buried his wife and didn't want you to see his face properly :shock: :lol:
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    Well I found out where the expression "like a deer caught in headlights" come from,it just stood there staring at me until I was a few metres away.
    There was an owl hooing me too, theres something beautifully calm about night riding in the woods
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • welshkev
    rhyko7 wrote:
    Well I found out where the expression "like a deer caught in headlights" come from,it just stood there staring at me until I was a few metres away.
    There was an owl hooing me too, theres something beautifully calm about night riding in the woods

wheree was that rhys?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    welshkev wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:

wheree was that rhys?

In the wods, were you not paying attention ;)
  • welshkev
    weeksy59 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:

wheree was that rhys?

in the wods? :wink::lol:
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    welshkev wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:

wheree was that rhys?

in the wods? :wink::lol:

Don't you just hate it when you try to look clever and just look like a spanner instead :(
  • I am about to order my lights from DX - I must admit I am really hoping my mates are gonna order too as I might need someone to hold my hand in the dark!

Looking forward to it in a kinda scaredy adrenaline type way :shock:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Speaking of animal encounters, Bats coming at me tend to be frequent as the lights bring out all the big fat meaty moths and the bats think its super size meal time, a bit too close for comfort some times, about an arms length away is the closest.
  • Twilight seems to be the best time for bat spotting. A month ago I was tearing down the last descent of my local loop muttering about damend flies and moths, when they were suddenly being eaten. It felt like somehting out of Scooby Doo and my eldest son was mightily imperessed when I told him.

I was out in Thetford tonight trying to follow the recent Dusk til Dawn course. Found most of it, all of the puddles and heard Cooldad rustling in the bushes most of the way round.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I had an owl fly over my shoulder and across in front of me... I did not hear a thing, but just saw a great big shape in my peripheral vision and then there it was. Made my heart beat pretty quick!

I love night riding, especially on clear summer nights when the moon is full. I think the only time I regretted going out was when a fog rolled in... my lights were pretty much useless, and I had to go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y as I had no idea where I was, even though I've ridden the same trails dozens of times.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • EvoRob
    EvoRob Posts: 10
    I've been out in the New Forest at night and although a little spooky the only thing that has caught me out was when a couple of the ponies came out of the dark at speed.... scared the crap out if me but also made me wander what spooked them to run in my direction...As during the day if the get spooked they tend to run the other way from people...
  • I prefer to ride in the night as you have to be far more aware of your immediate surroundings and able to adapt. Throw in some Michael Jackson "thrilller" and you'll be fine :)
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2011, Shimano PD-M520 SPDs, Continental Ultra GatorSkin Road Treads.Semi-pro. 6'1 180lbs London commuter.
  • No issues with riding on my tod, but then I do tend to listen to music so any of the noises tend to get missed...if someone was to speak to me I'd hear if but trees moving or undergrowth getting moved...nope, not going to get heard.

It's great fun, as long as you know the route then it should be fine (as in there won't be any surprises in the trail that you don't know about).

Give it a bash, it helps add another bit of BRAW! to your biking.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    I tell thee what as well , it dont half sharpen up your reactions as well, esp in the winter as the whiteness of the lights means its difficult to pick out how slippery the surface is likely to be weather its ice or gauging how deap or wet the mud is.
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    did a couple of lone night rides at llandegla great until you get that feeling of been spooked and all your senses go on red alert.
    got that feeling going over the old wood section and asthe trees opens out in the middle of the section, i fell of the boardwalk into a 3 foot ditch clambered back up and in my panic to get out promptly fell of the other side :lol:
    what a night!!
  • Nrj
    Nrj Posts: 35
    im not good in the dark,

i can make faces out of anything and here things that arn't there.

with mp3 on its even worst, my senses are on 110%,

thb though i ride harder and faster than i do in the day time, just wanna get home/car in the safety away from the lions, tigers, and bears.
  • Went out last night with my 9 year old son for his first night ride. He was most impressed by the deer, stars, bats, rodents, owls and the general rustling in the hedgerows. Get out there now and get used to it, before it gets a lot colder in case you are scared of chiliness too!
  • yay, after 2 and a half weeks, my lights are in the post!

Now just another 3 weeks to wait for delivery haha!
  • MrGeebs
    MrGeebs Posts: 62
    I love riding at night, down quiet roads, canals and bridlways through my loacal forest, it's great fun. It is beautiful when the moon & stars are out as well and makes the ride extra special. It's so annoying that it gets dark early in winter. People go out and do things in the evening until 9/10pm in the summer but as soon as the nights draw in people stay indoors and watch tele in the evening, I like to feel I'm fighting against that mentality and go out for rides after 7 when it gets dark, great fun, espicially cycling to the pub!!
    um .. . . . .
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    yay, after 2 and a half weeks, my lights are in the post!

I ordered 2 more torches from lightmalls on the 14th, they shipped on the 16th and they arrived yesterday......my first order from them also took 10 days....both shipped from China not a UK warehouse.

People should consider using them.;)
  • welshkev
    Mojo_666 wrote:

I ordered 2 more torches from lightmalls on the 14th, they shipped on the 16th and they arrived yesterday......my first order from them also took 10 days....both shipped from China not a UK warehouse.

got a link mike?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    welshkev wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

got a link mike?

Sure have Kev

http://www.lightmalls.com

Not as big a selection I don't think but they had what I needed.
  • welshkev
    they seem a bit more expensive than DX? i only paid $12 for my torch and mount :?

i only orederd one to see how it is and i think i'll order another tomorrow from DX and wait the 6 weeks :lol:
  • It's just the sheeeit going around in your head that will make you pedal faster. I'm doing my first wood trail in the next week I have two Led Lenser P7's attached to my handelbars with the velco TwoFish attachements, 450+ lumens, and £25-30 each so a load cheaper than the all singing and dancing battery pack monsters that knock out less light and because they are 6 inches or so apart they give good depth and you can have one on zoom and one on flood depending on your preferences.
    It's better to burn out than to fade away!!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    EvoRob wrote:
    I've been out in the New Forest at night and although a little spooky the only thing that has caught me out was when a couple of the ponies came out of the dark at speed.... scared the crap out if me but also made me wander what spooked them to run in my direction...As during the day if the get spooked they tend to run the other way from people...

Aha, a fellow New Forest MTBer.... 8)

I almost rode into a cow the other night, although that's not nearly as scary as all the people hanging around in the secluded car parks late at night :shock:

By the way, we ride every Wednesday night if you ever want safety in numbers to protect you form the wildlife - PM me if you want further details :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I went for my first proper solo night ride tonight.

Kept telling myself that I'm just as likely to be murdered during the day, but my primitive instincts couldn't grasp the logic.
  • Did my first solo night ride last night as well. Just received my new light a couple of days ago. Bought the Lumicycle LED 3XPG after reading the review on Bikeradar. They cost a bit but they certainly light up the trail well.

I found night riding to be a great experience. Sure you hear lots of noises and think things are there when they really are not there but that just adds to the fun of it. If anything it makes you go faster to get away from whatever it is that has spooked you (axe murderer comes to mind).