night riding...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tenfoot wrote:
    Although I hate listening to music while I ride, maybe that would be a solution. It'll blot out all of the rustles and creaking noises (creaking mostly coming from my old legs).
    The wind, the trees and the nightlife are what gives it that xen feeling of solitude though. If you don't like it you can either grow a pair, or get your mummy to tuck you in with a nice bottle of milk.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Ha ha - I agree. Been out several times and just ignore the noises and get on with it.

Just making suggestions
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I am the noises. Be afraid, be very afraid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Get some Hope Hubs... you'll never hear another sound. :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Peat wrote:
    The biggest danger is rabbits and hares who get dazzled and always manage to run under my front wheel!

The most dangerous animals in my hills are the buzzards... Because you go "Hey cool, a buzzard" and get so distracted you ride into a tree. Don't ask me how I knows, I just knows.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers for the replies guys, some of them have made me giggle :lol:

DX have dispatched my lights so as soon as i get them i'll let you know how i get on
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Did my first PROPER one on the 80 mile Maxx Exposure recently... The only time it was scary was when i went 1 mile into a forest on my own and that was more a fear of being lost at night rather than a werewolf or axe-murderer coming out and atacking me.

Night riding means I actually 'flow' better as you don't really see some minor things that can trouble you in daylight.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    completely agree with Weeksy 59, took part in Insomnia at Bedgebury a few weeks back, have riden the red route alot in the last year but found it so much easier in the dark as you are focussed on your fixed point from the light shining from your helmet.
    Nothing else to distract you, just complete focus, great fun.

towny
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    I am the noises. Be afraid, be very afraid.
    :lol:
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    tenfoot wrote:
    Although I hate listening to music while I ride, maybe that would be a solution. It'll blot out all of the rustles and creaking noises (creaking mostly coming from my old legs).
    The wind, the trees and the nightlife are what gives it that xen feeling of solitude though. If you don't like it you can either grow a pair, or get your mummy to tuck you in with a nice bottle of milk.

^^ that is exactly why I love night riding.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    I've just started night mountain biking, having wanted to do it for years and sick of long winters with little riding. Besides, I've a really nice area of woodland just mintues form the house so I really don't have any excuses.

I have invested in some decent lights and i am absolutely loving it. It does give me the heebies though. i've not had to stop for a flat or any mechanical yet but i know i'll be bricking it when that happens.

I know there are no monsters up there but i do appreciate that it would be a great place to dig a shallow grave... And fill it. It's that realisation that keeps me wired! I am planning on a halloween ride and will be going in ful fancy dress. If anyone else close to Alton in Hampshire fancies joining me then message me. We can discuss body disposal etc, etc.

Have fun out there people!
  • welshkev
    Page23 wrote:
    I am planning on a halloween ride and will be going in ful fancy dress.

!

that is actually a great idea :lol:
  • Anonymous
    My brother once got pulled over by a copper on his motorbike, whilst he was wearing a full-head satan mask under his helmet. The copper jumped back when he opened the visor and the huge warty rubbery nose popped out, apparently :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Never alone knight riding with KITT :D
    NatoED wrote:
    No mobile signal is not a problem if you need to ring the ambulance or police you can ring 999 still
    As said, only if there is a signal from at least one network. Often find in remote spots no network can be picked up at all especially in remote hills and valleys.

I'd say just make sure someone knows where you are, as otherwise it will be the early morning dog walker finding your half wolf-eaten remains.
  • Well my 1st night ride done. It was a blast, no real loss of time either. Going over a field I was thinking "whats them bright spots"? As a herd of cows stampeded away. Ah it was their eyes.
    Left a mate a route and eta, just in case.

I didnt realise how poor the photos show actual beam shots on the what lights thread. Thats not a bad thing in my eyes though. I am happy with mine, plenty for my bridleways and local woods.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Last night was a wonderful night for a ride around my patch. Clear sky, full moon, mild temps and hardly a breeze.

It did have a scare though, i was merrily singing along to myself when i got an 'Evening' from behind and realised there was another biker on my backwheel without any lights. Scared the living cr@p out of me! :oops:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,668
    Peat wrote:
    Last night was a wonderful night for a ride around my patch. Clear sky, full moon, mild temps and hardly a breeze.
    Likewise, was down at Bedgebury last night - same conditions as you had. Great blast, just need Wiggle to deliver my ******* helmet light - sometimes makes it tricky when the bar light is playing 'catch up' round the bends.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    Likewise, was down at Bedgebury last night - same conditions as you had. Great blast, just need Wiggle to deliver my ******* helmet light - sometimes makes it tricky when the bar light is playing 'catch up' round the bends.

Stevo, what time do you ride there till, after riding Insomnia, we thought about taking a trip over for a night ride but weren't sure whether there were regulations to adhere to etc etc. I believe they shut the carpark at 8pm?
  • Anonymous
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    Wiggle, helmet light? sounds expensive :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    Not that bad, they had 20% off recently. What the bar stewards didn't say was that it was going to take a month to get hold of any stock :evil: Tried to rig up one of my commuter lights but it wouldn't stay put.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • welshkev
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Not that bad, they had 20% off recently. What the bar stewards didn't say was that it was going to take a month to get hold of any stock :evil: Tried to rig up one of my commuter lights but it wouldn't stay put.

cable ties and gaffa tape will hold anything in place :wink::lol:
  • Stevo_666
    welshkev wrote:
    cable ties and gaffa tape will hold anything in place :wink::lol:
    Found out yesterday shortly before I set off that I'd run out of gaffer tape, and the little bleeder was too smooth for cable ties to safely hold it in place, esp as you do get a few whacks to the head from the vegetation on our night route. The fact that I'm sh1te at DIY type stuff might have had something to do with it as well :oops:

Anyhow, 1,900 lumens on the bars kinda compensates :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Lovely night last night. Clouds drifting across a full moon, shadows of the ferns like black claws racing along the trail towards you, wolves howling...

OK I made the last one up but it was a great night. Anybody else go out?
  • Northwind
    Aye, we got out for a short lap at glentress... Mist made for terrible visibility but still good fun. I think just about every section had at least one person just ride off the side of the trail or miss a corner :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    It was a great night for a night ride. We were up on the North Downs dodging badgers.
  • I was out at 4 this morning - does that count? :oops:
    Technically it is morning riding, but it's f-ing dark (and a bit spooky).
    Scared a few deer. Lots of strange noises too.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Anonymous
    tenfoot wrote:
    We were up on the North Downs doing badgers.
    :shock: :D
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    tenfoot wrote:
    We were up on the North Downs ,doging badgers.

:lol:
  • Northwind
    tenfoot wrote:
    We were up on the North Downs , bagging doggers
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    tenfoot wrote:
    . We were up North,going down on badgers.