How many of you ride without a helmet?

Comments

• I'm not convinced it'll help much in an incident with a car.

I was taken out in a head on with a car in May. Believe me, it helps.

Yup - I've come off twice in 15 years in London - both times slipping on wet/muddy roads, and both times splitting my helmet down the middle (a Bell the first time, a Specialized Prevail more recently). I won't even ride to the shops without one now.
  • Thanks for all the veiws :)

I am currently trying to find a helmet that fits, tried a few on yesterday as I would prefer to wear one.

Had an accident last night in the house (not on my bike), lost my footing due to a knee problem and fell backwards, hit my head on the kitchen table and damaged my elbow and wrist. Looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I get to ride my new road bike :(

Try the Kask helmets - not cheap, but the fitting system is something else. Amazingly comfy helmets, and I have a big ol' lumpy head.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Always for training/long road rides.

Almost never for recreational or 'nip down the shop' on my beater bike.

I don't like the posts where people insist their kid wear em every time they touch a bike. You really don't need a helmet for tootling along the seafront on your bike and I'd rather my kids got the message that cycling was easy and fun and not something thats shit yourself dangerous.

There seems to be an over riding rule on this forum that the only kind of cycling anyone does is in lycra with an interval not far away. I like training hard, but a bikes also a mode of transport and a bit of fun.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    First time on the road yesterday, didn't ride with one but felt bad hammering hills at 35mph especially when heading under trees and not being able to see as eyes were adjusting, pot holes ??? Will do in future, lesson nearly learnt as just didn't feel good about doing it.

Never on my MTB when riding on flat easy bridal paths / singletrack. When in woods / technical stuff, always.

Still very much of the school that never once banged my head in many miles and years of riding, doesn't mean it won't happen and getting more scared as I get older.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    I never used to until about 12 yrs ago.

I had a terrifying ride out of London on the A3 ( :roll: what was I thinking) no crash but when I got to my destination I bought a helmet for the ride back.

Since then it has become like putting on shoes - I just do it every ride. I don't find it super comfy but it is a pretty minor thing compared to what it may prevent - I see it as a form of insurance against some types of head injurt

These days as a dad who expects his children to wear them I can not imagine letting them see me without it on.

Each to their own though

Tim
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • I always wear one. Not entirely convinced by the safety benefits but I find them quite comfy so see no reason not too.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Above +2C I always wear one. Below that I wear a Sealskinz hat to keep warm.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I don't know how much benefit they give and even my nice lightweight helmet with air holes is a bit too warm, I still put it on for every ride.

It's the same with gloves, even if I'm just nipping out I'll put gloves on as the thought of a 50hour week at a computer with cut up hands is not too pleasant.
    --
    FCN 9
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    On proper bike rides - yes. I have to race in them anyway so makes sense. If you get the right helmet you really dont notice it.

Dont bother if I'm popping to the sjops or a pootle round Center Parcs or something. The health benefits outweigh the risks of cycling anyway.

I do think that helmets are over rated with all of the 'And my helmet saved my life' comments. I started cycling before helmets were out and none of my friends or clubmates died back then. But yes - if you are going to crash I'd rather have a helmet on than not. But I'd rather not crash in the first place.
  • Slimbods wrote:
    I don't like the posts where people insist their kid wear em every time they touch a bike.

I really can't imagine that I'd have cycled so much as a kid if I'd had to remember, and not lose, a helmet - but maybe kids are more organized these days and/or are less likely to be able to set off on a complex series of point-to-point journeys.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    It's the same with gloves, even if I'm just nipping out I'll put gloves on as the thought of a 50hour week at a computer with cut up hands is not too pleasant.

Unless it's a very hot day I always wear gloves. I've had two small falls over the last few years but both would have resulted in scarred up hands if I'd not been wearing gloves.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr Posts: 172
    I've not even read all the replies on this thread - dont really want to read all the idiotic replies.

I am a nurse in an Intensive Care Unit, we see lots of cyclists/climbers/bikers who have done an extreme amount of damage to themselves. One re-occuring theme is that the helmet they were wearing saved their life - anyone who says otherwise is a fool but to be honest the world will be better off without those fools so carry on.

I have 2 sons that I make sure always ride with their helmets, me and my wife always wear helmets (the one time she didnt she ended up with a depressed skull fracture). If you have kids and you dont make them wear a helmet you should be jailed.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ooermissus wrote:
    Slimbods wrote:
    I don't like the posts where people insist their kid wear em every time they touch a bike.

I really can't imagine that I'd have cycled so much as a kid if I'd had to remember, and not lose, a helmet - but maybe kids are more organized these days and/or are less likely to be able to set off on a complex series of point-to-point journeys.
    Just rode my youngest (10) to his school for a rehearsal of something or other. It's a couple of miles or so, all on a shared tarmac cycle path and the speed we were doing was the very definition of the word 'bimble'. Helmet? What on earth for? If he does fall off at that speed he's not going to do any damage, and I don't want to instill in him the idea that this glorious activity that we all love so much that we ponce about on an internet forum sharing the joy with anyone & everyone, is so dangerous that regardless of what type of cycling you're doing it warrants a crash hat to make it safe. What's that word? Oh yeah - bollleaux.
  • CiB
    Scotxr wrote:
    I've not even read all the replies on this thread - dont really want to read all the idiotic replies.

I am a nurse in an Intensive Care Unit, we see lots of cyclists/climbers/bikers who have done an extreme amount of damage to themselves. One re-occuring theme is that the helmet they were wearing saved their life - anyone who says otherwise is a fool but to be honest the world will be better off without those fools so carry on.

I have 2 sons that I make sure always ride with their helmets, me and my wife always wear helmets (the one time she didnt she ended up with a depressed skull fracture). If you have kids and you dont make them wear a helmet you should be jailed.
    Calling people stupid when the world + his dog knows that not be the case won't sway anyone. Presumably you'll be wanting to lock up my elderly parents for allowing us to survive our boyhoods without safety gear too? And this re-occurring [sic] theme that the helmet saved their life. Yeah right. Every single time, without fail. Using extreme cases only weakens your argument.

Anyway. I'm off for another near-death experience - gotta fetch the boy back. Fingers crossed; let's hope by some miracle we survive this 6-7mph escapade on smooth empty paths.
  • Scotxr
    CiB wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:

Absolute sh!te. Go away.

Why is it shite and why should I go away??

A fall from a few feet on to your head can cause severe damage, or death.

For your sake I hope your child never falls off his bike onto his head, if he does maybe you'll change your attitude.

Adults can make a choice, children should be guided and protected.........
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • CiB
    Scotxr wrote:
    me and my wife always wear helmets (the one time she didnt she ended up with a depressed skull fracture
    It shouldn't, but this made me laugh - how unlucky was that? Or does she fall off every time she so much as looks at a bike?

:)
  • Scotxr
    CiB wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:

Calling people stupid when the world + his dog knows that not be the case won't sway anyone. Presumably you'll be wanting to lock up my elderly parents for allowing us to survive our boyhoods without safety gear too? And this re-occurring [sic] theme that the helmet saved their life. Yeah right. Every single time, without fail. Using extreme cases only weakens your argument.

Anyway. I'm off for another near-death experience - gotta fetch the boy back. Fingers crossed; let's hope by some miracle we survive this 6-7mph escapade on smooth empty paths.

How would you know whether it saved these people's life or not?? Are you a medical professional??

The world and his dog dont agree with you. Every person I know wears a helmet or actively supports it. Just because you are ignorant wont change my opinion. It's also not an arguement, an opinion supported by most.

As I said, I hope your son never has the misfortune of falling of his bike, that way daddy's know it all opinion wont come back to bite him on his ass.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • CiB
    Scotxr wrote:
    some v angry stuff.
    Yeah well whatever. You're welcome. :)
  • Scotxr
    CiB wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:
    me and my wife always wear helmets (the one time she didnt she ended up with a depressed skull fracture
    It shouldn't, but this made me laugh - how unlucky was that? Or does she fall off every time she so much as looks at a bike?

:)

Me and her are both Mountain bikers. She'd just done the Downhill Nevis Route and was messing around in the carpark, without a helmet.

Glad it made you laugh.

I've seen many a life of a cyclist affected, one recently that was particularly bad. Remember it doesnt always have to be falling off a bike it can be about being hit by a car. A lot more cars around than when you were on the road as a kid.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't, but I know I should really.

My children do without fail.
  • Scotxr
    CiB wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:
    some v angry stuff.
    Yeah well whatever. You're welcome. :)

As I said adults can make their own mind up, kids need to be taught and protected. Your kid must mean a lot to you for you to risk their life just for you to make a point......

I promise if you end up in my ITU you'll get top quality care, although when you get smashed off your bike by a car going 50mph you probably wont make it to the hospital........
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Ooo, helmet debate, how novel! Sometime I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. I'm pretty undecided on the topic so if it's a particularly warm day or a route I feel is low risk, then I won't. I don't buy this whole "I've seen loads of cases where a helmet definitely saved their life" - this is observational, anecdotal and unscientific. How can you possibly know how much difference the helmet makes? You'd need to carry out a proper randomised controlled trial to be sure, which obviously isn't going to happen. Whilst I'm fairly certain that helmets can help in certain types of crashes I don't think it does anyone any favours to try and paint the issue in such black and white terms.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Scotxr wrote:

My daughter & I were in the park yesterday, loads of small kids riding round on balance bikes, bikes with stabilisers etc all doing about 4mph 3 foot from the ground and had helmets on. Went into the playground with its climbing frames, swings & roundabouts with the kids going much faster & much higher than on the bikes but none wearing a helmet.

It's insane.
  • Scotxr
    AidanR wrote:
    Ooo, helmet debate, how novel! Sometime I wear a helmet, sometimes I don't. I'm pretty undecided on the topic so if it's a particularly warm day or a route I feel is low risk, then I won't. I don't buy this whole "I've seen loads of cases where a helmet definitely saved their life" - this is observational, anecdotal and unscientific. How can you possibly know how much difference the helmet makes? You'd need to carry out a proper randomised controlled trial to be sure, which obviously isn't going to happen. Whilst I'm fairly certain that helmets can help in certain types of crashes I don't think it does anyone any favours to try and paint the issue in such black and white terms.

Crack on, you're an adult so you make a choice. I'm sure the comforting thoughts of RCT's will keep you busy on the long rehab road :D

A head injury is the most likely thing to kill you, wearing a helmet protects your head, 1+1 = 2.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympi ... ident.html
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Scotxr
    Scotxr wrote:

My daughter & I were in the park yesterday, loads of small kids riding round on balance bikes, bikes with stabilisers etc all doing about 4mph 3 foot from the ground and had helmets on. Went into the playground with its climbing frames, swings & roundabouts with the kids going much faster & much higher than on the bikes but none wearing a helmet.

It's insane.

What's insane??! That all kids arent wearing helmets??!

I would say the difference is that playparks have a different covering to their floor, more absorbant but i've never really thought about that before in great detail.

Next people will suggest that we shouldnt wear seatbelts, that'll be the next witticism rolled out.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • AidanR
    Scotxr wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

Crack on, you're an adult so you make a choice. I'm sure the comforting thoughts of RCT's will keep you busy on the long rehab road :D

A head injury is the most likely thing to kill you, wearing a helmet protects your head, 1+1 = 2.

There's no proof for exactly how effective helmets are, because the necessary type of experiment cannot be carried out. Added to that, just because something appears to make sense doesn't mean it's right. That's why we have to carry out experiments to determine the truth of things.

So my point is there is uncertainty, so don't come on here saying it's an open and shut case when it's not.

And please don't put a "very happy" smilie next to a sentence where you imply I will suffer a nasty accident.
  • Scotxr
    AidanR wrote:
    Scotxr wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

There's no proof for exactly how effective helmets are, because the necessary type of experiment cannot be carried out. Added to that, just because something appears to make sense doesn't mean it's right. That's why we have to carry out experiments to determine the truth of things.

So my point is there is uncertainty, so don't come on here saying it's an open and shut case when it's not.

And please don't put a "very happy" smilie next to a sentence where you imply I will suffer a nasty accident.

Have you looked into the "evidence" you crave??

Here is a piece by WHO from 5 years ago. There is a law in place regarding helmets for a reason.

If you dont want to wear a helmet that's up to you, i'm sure thoughts of evidence/RCT's/proof will keep you busy while on the long rehab road.

Better?
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Scotxr
    Santa Cruz Blur XC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Planet X Carbon RED
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    MattC59 wrote:
    And who uses WD40 on their chains ?
    :wink::lol:

sorry dizzyblonde, huuuuuuge can of worms you've just re-opened, as is the WD40 topic :D

I just spray WD40 on my head....beats wearing a helmet....
  • AidanR
    Scotxr wrote:

Have you looked into the "evidence" you crave??

Here is a piece by WHO from 5 years ago. There is a law in place regarding helmets for a reason.

If you dont want to wear a helmet that's up to you, i'm sure thoughts of evidence/RCT's/proof will keep you busy while on the long rehab road.

Better?

Yes, I have. And no, not better.

All the data in that summary is about motorcyclists, not cyclists. Two problems with that:

1) Motorcyclists travel on average at much greater speed on far heavier vehicles.
    2) Motorcycle helmets offer much more crash protection than cycle helmets.

I'm not trying to force kids to not wear helmets. I'd of course obey the law regarding helmets if I had kids of my own. I also think that in many cases helmets are beneficial. But we are kidding ourselves if we think that they make that much difference, and are certain they save loads of lives.