Dale Farm eviction

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Does anyone like pikeys?
  • I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Does anyone like pikeys?

Yeah unscrupulous audi dealers.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
    Nice :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Yeah. Bomb 'em all. Yeah, woo!

I'm not saying my experience of travellers has always been a positive one, but you really should be ashamed for posting comments like that, about anyone, regardless.

Bit disappointed, thought it was generally a nice crowd on here...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • "As many have said, it isn't a race issue (are they even a race?)"

For the purpose of the law (and many here seem to be in favour of "the law"). yes they are a "race" (ethnic minority and therefore covered by Race Relations legislation).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 10768.html

What is all this talk of "Gypsies"? There are no Roma involved in this case.

The word "pikey" is recognised as pejorative, and in the context it is being used in this thread would likely be deemed as offensive (given the case law mentioned in the link, it would be deemed as racially offensive). Argue all you like and display all the intolerance you like people, but it is quite clear that your words are displaying racism (in the eyes of the law).

Given the eloquent way in which some have arrived at the conclusion that all travellers are thieves, I would point out that of the three bikes that I owned that have been stolen, two of them were stolen by English people (they were subsequently convicted). I can now deduce that all English people are thieving scum.

Someone pointed out the similarity between discrimination towards travellers and that of cyclists by motorists. I recall all the commotion here over certain anti-cyclist brigade utterances - dickheads who have a quite illogical hostility towards all cyclists.
    Reading the drivel in this thread is quite a revelation. There isn't much between some posters here and the anti-cyclist brigade.

There are some valid points on both sides in this particular case, but the prejudice and offensive comments here display something quite different.
  • Derby General Hospital had a "Gypsy King" in there many years ago, they had major problems with dozens of the thieving gits squatting in the place.
    The major issue has been, that Labour tilted the playing field drastically in "Gypsies & Travellers " favour.
    Some good reasons, in sofar as Councils had for years done diddly squat in catering for their needs.
    I've got a field of them next to me, so I've heard chapter & verse, during their planning application process, about how my Council has done nothing for decades about providing official sites, be they for the wandering ones or the Diddicoit (Those who've basically settled in one place).
    As has been pointed out above, there are two parts to the Dale Farm site, one with planning permission for whatever, the other without.
    The bottom line, is that the planning laws have been flagrantly breached, as is the way of the Gypsy. Their claims that they can't live in "Bricks & mortar" seem ridiculous, as they live quite happily in huge "Mobile homes", my lot have gone as far as building stone steps, complete with pillars & walls. They're currently installing septic tanks, not in the place marked on their planning application, we believe that the use of such tanks has been against building standards for some 8 years.
    For those who've been railing against the cries about the Dale Farm lot being Irish, should hear the views about them put forwards by my neighbours!
    That has been part of the high price we've paid for being EU members, free movement of people, means just that. Travellers are free to come here & enjoy the benefits :wink: that they're due.
    They've spun out the planning process, at great cost to the tax payer, they've had their serial applications & appeals rejected, due process of law has been followed, they therefor should go.
    For those "Supporters", maybe they would like to offer them somewhere to live on their own land? There seem to be plenty of rich luvvies in that group.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • MattC59
    @ Weejie54

Firstly, racism would assume a hatred / predudice against the travellers in general. Certainly, as far as I'm concerned, that's not the case. I only have issues with those who exhibit anti social behavior, steal, have no regard for anyones property and generally cause a mess and problems everywhere they go.

If travellers want to behave in a civilised manner, then I have no problem with them. If they don't then I do. That's not racism.

Secondly, not all travellers are Irish Travellers, Travellers in general are not a race, so the racism card doesn't count. I've not seen a single post singling out Irish travellers.

Yes the work Pikey is offensive, but so is the behavior of Pikeys, they can't have it both ways !!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    edited September 2011
    never mind the 'travellers' whens this VELODISCO being built? I'm all in!

*drops Gary Ablett* :D

*throws shapes*
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • MattC59
    Yeah. Bomb 'em all. Yeah, woo!

I'm not saying my experience of travellers has always been a positive one, but you really should be ashamed for posting comments like that, about anyone, regardless.

Maxwell, you'll note that the comment from Stif_Orange was a quote from the film Aliens. As we don't have space ships, or access to nuclear weapons, and it's a direct quote from a film (although in the film Ripley didn't say 'Entire' :wink: ) I don't think it's supposed to be taken seriously..........
  • I'm a police officer.. Im lucky enough to have 6 permanent sites in the area I police. I can tell you tales about travellers that will make your blood boil and bile rise to the back of your throat..

I can also show you sites where we've never had any trouble. Yesteday I went to one of our sites for the first time in 3 years of policing this area. I was greeted politely helped with my enquiries which actually had nothing to do with that site.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that as in any community there is good and bad..

I have my personal feelings which i won't share here!!
  • MattC59
    Those two idiots who concreted their arms into the barrel must have been somewhat p*ssed off when they discovered that the injunction has delayed the eviction until the end of the week. They've now got to sit around, in their own filth, with nothing to do for the rest of the week.

HA F*CKIN HA !!!!!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Those two idiots who concreted their arms into the barrel must have been somewhat p*ssed off when they discovered that the injunction has delayed the eviction until the end of the week. They've now got to sit around, in their own filth, with nothing to do for the rest of the week.

HA F*CKIN HA !!!!!

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theory nut-job, as soon as I heard about the delay my first thought was that the judge is assisting in the eviction after being told what to do by the strategists within the police and the bailiffs. As you observed, the residents have made huge preparations for nothing. A few more false starts to the eviction 'proper' and they'll be feeling a bit worn down when it does start for real. Basildon council has waited 10 years for this, a few more days or even a month is probably no consequence.
  • MattC59 wrote:

Maxwell, you'll note that the comment from Stif_Orange was a quote from the film Aliens. As we don't have space ships, or access to nuclear weapons, and it's a direct quote from a film (although in the film Ripley didn't say 'Entire' :wink: ) I don't think it's supposed to be taken seriously..........

I'm glad you spotted it for what it was. It would appear that some people on here suffer from a sense of humour failure.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Firstly, racism would assume a hatred / predudice against the travellers in general.

Your posts seem to display just that. Even your last words in the post I've quoted from here:
    MattC59 wrote:
    but so is the behavior of Pikeys

That's pretty damning evidence.
    MatC59 wrote:
    If travellers want to behave in a civilised manner, then I have no problem with them. If they don't then I do. That's not racism.
    MattC59 wrote:
    but so is the behavior of Pikeys

There's that quote again. You not only use an offensive word, but you apply it as a blanket term. That is discrimination - moreover, it is discrimination towards a particular ethnic group (recognised in law).
    MattC59 wrote:
    Secondly, not all travellers are Irish Travellers, Travellers in general are not a race, so the racism card doesn't count. I've not seen a single post singling out Irish travellers.

You seem to have been a bit selective there:
    Round them all up put them on a boat heading to Ireland, and torpedo it, we need a gypsy cull
    I don't like some laws but I don't get to pick and choose which ones I obey or don't (like tax, metal theft and planning) because of some oirish accent.

Moreover, you've used the term "Gypsy" which is a term denoting someone of Romani origin. That is quite specific. You've also quite blatantly and shamelessly used the derogatory term "pikey" which is not usually applied to new age travellers or showmen but to Romani and Irish travellers - both these groups are recognised in law as ethnic groups.
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yes the work Pikey is offensive, but so is the behavior of Pikeys, they can't have it both ways !!

Ah, so not only do you make rash generalisations, but you seem to think that in applying that rash generalisation, it gives you some licence to use offensive terminology to boot.

What a nice chap.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think Weejie54 is a nice chap too as he has found the solution: All the Dale Farm lot can live in his back garden where he can treat them to tea, biscuits and regular hugs.

All sorted.

Now, who's starting that velodrome?
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Weejie is an Irish term for drink, or at least it is with the ground workers I know and have worked with the last 15 years.

One of the old pipe layers, Davie, used to spend most of his day in the base of a manhole benching a finish (to stop crap from sticking and help it on it's merry way) and would always talk about his weejies (drinks) hidden up one of the incoming pipes.

Maybe he has an axe to grind with anybody criticising the Basildon / travelling community lot ?

Could also be a coincidence but then I don't believe in those.
  • MattC59 wrote:

HA F*CKIN HA !!!!!

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theory nut-job, as soon as I heard about the delay my first thought was that the judge is assisting in the eviction after being told what to do by the strategists within the police and the bailiffs. As you observed, the residents have made huge preparations for nothing. A few more false starts to the eviction 'proper' and they'll be feeling a bit worn down when it does start for real. Basildon council has waited 10 years for this, a few more days or even a month is probably no consequence.

Some reports say most of the travellers have already left, it's protesters who have turned up to aggravate the authorities that are still there. Probably not far off the mark what you say as there is only so long someone can remain chained to a barrier before the cold and hunger sets in.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    This is the best thread since Speed King... was he a Pikey.. or was it his mechanic?
    I'd vote for Matt if he were my MP. I just feel for the poor sods living next to these creatures.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • MattC59 wrote:

No I got that, thanks, was referring to to the four pages previously of nasty comments inciting violence.

Regardless of what you think about the dale farm situation, do you really think it's okay to say things like "I wouldn't kick them off their land I'd lock all the entrances/exits so the big bad baliffs couldn't get in at the precious little darlings, then I'd napalm the place" or "Round them all up put them on a boat heading to Ireland, and torpedo it, we need a gypsy cull"...

I appreciate that you yourself have been a genuine contributor in this thread and its not a personal attack. I think some of the 'contributors' to this thread should of just thought for a moment before posting what they did...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • I think I can safely say there is not a lot of sympathy for the "travellers" on this forum.

But, other sectors of the public have come under fire on here, strikers,bankers,benefits cheats, wealthy tax dodgers. Those catagories cover quite a diverse demograph but, they all fit into one catagory in various (forum users) eyes they're all taking the pi55 out of what is generally percieved as fair.

We all pay our dues and it sticks in the craw when people seem to ride roughshod over our collective tollerance.

It just so happens "tavellers" (on here at least) have very little support whereas "strikers" may divide the forum more equally.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I think I can safely say there is not a lot of sympathy for the "travellers" on this forum.

Not really about sympathy, or lack of sympathy. Let's have a reasonable debate by all means, without resorting to condoning violence. If it was a joke, which I hope it was, then it wasn't funny/clear.
  • And I bet all the travellers ride bikes from Halfords! Oh the indignity!

Not really about sympathy, or lack of sympathy. Let's have a reasonable debate by all means, without resorting to condoning violence. If it was a joke, which I hope it was, then it wasn't funny/clear.

TBH it was a bit of "trolling" but I would be lying if I said I had any sympathy/empathy for their cause. If I were to build without planning the council wouldn't mess about but I'm an ordinary Joe and don't go about issueing thinly veiled threats etc.

No, they get away with murder (not literally).
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

TBH it was a bit of "trolling" but I would be lying if I said I had any sympathy/empathy for their cause. If I were to build without planning the council wouldn't mess about but I'm an ordinary Joe and don't go about issueing thinly veiled threats etc.

No, they get away with murder (not literally).

Again, irrelevant. It doesn't really matter what your opinion is. Doesn't matter what mine is. Shouldn't really say things like that mate, about anyone. Generally, you come across as a really nice guy on this forum so I was just a bit put-out to read something like that from you.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
    Nice :D

Elaine Ripley? LOL.
  • "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    .....They're currently installing septic tanks, not in the place marked on their planning application, we believe that the use of such tanks has been against building standards for some 8 years.....

Not strictly true. There is a heirachy within the building regs and septic tanks are at the bottom. They should only be used where it can be demonstrated that methods higher up the heirachy are not feasible.
  • MattC59
    Oh dear, it would appear that the balance of this thread has been disrupted.

Mods,
    As it would appear that you have removed two of my posts, in the interest of balance, I would have thought that you would have also removed Weejie54's posts which reference my posts. Especially as all of my posts which have been removed do nothing but explain my intollerance for anyone who does not abide by the rules of the land or acts in an anti-social way. The information quoted by myself, is not opinion, it is fact, readily available for anyone to read.

I understand why you might remove any posts which appear to incite violence or hatred, but I don't believe that any of mine did, hence writing this post, I'm a little confused why my explanatory posts have been removed ?

My apologies if I have offended in any way.
  • I love ice cream