So what Books are forumites currently reading?

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Just finished World War Z.My next book will be after the festivities and i might go for a James Herbert novel on the Kindle,not sure which one yet.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What did you think of World War Z? Good read?
    I've been thinking about getting it, but was uncertain about the supposed documentary style.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Just finished "Italian Shoes" by Henning Mankell... an excellent story about an old man who has to face up to things in his past that he's been avoiding. Nothing like the Wallander books, but very good nonetheless.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Davdandy
    :x
    What did you think of World War Z? Good read?
    I've been thinking about getting it, but was uncertain about the supposed documentary style.

A very good read but not like your usual novels.The book takes the stories from many different people from different cultures during the ten years of war.Most stories are about ten pages long,some shorter others longer but it is still a clever and almost real look at what a zombie war would actually be like.I recommend it no problems.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, cheers. I may get it on audible for some rather long-distance trips I've got coming up.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    What does it have to do with accountants?
    It was the recommendation that was accountant based but in fact one of the slum dwelling mafioso was an accountant.

...if you are interested.

Are you interested in accountancy or accountants?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, not at all, but I couldn't for the life of me fathom how or why a book which was
    930 pages of an Australian jailbreaker who joins the Mafia in India and then goes to fight in Afghanistan
    would resonate so deeply with accountants!
  • Lagrange
    And now Lewis Man by Peter May - this is very clever. Body found in a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. DNA traces a relative who has dementia (and cannot recall any relatives) - two storylines one from the perspective of the detective and the other from the demented man. This book is very good!

NO acountants involved in selecting this books!
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Davdandy wrote:
    Just finished World War Z.My next book will be after the festivities and i might go for a James Herbert novel on the Kindle,not sure which one yet.

Awesome book however it looks like they've made a right balls end of the movie with Brad Pitt. It was meant to closely follow the book but has been turned into just another zombie action movie.

If you're into zombie stuff I'd highly recommend the Autumn series of books by David Moody.

Here's the amazon link to the first in the series:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autumn-David-Moody/dp/0575091290/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357234328&sr=8-2
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Just started Tim Harfords ADAPT-why success always starts with failure.Unputdownable. :D
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's some decent stuff in the 12 days of kindle sale on Amazon, I noticed Reamde by Neal Stevenson, which starts out absolutely fantastic, goes a bit iffy in the middle mind but still well worth it. And Reality Dysfunction by Peter Hamilton- man desperately needs an editor but this is still ace.

And Ray Feist's Magician, for anyone who likes their fantasy stuff but inexplicably doesn't already have it.

All around a £1, and also these are bloody massive books, so ideal for kindles to save wrist strain.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Northwind wrote:
    There's some decent stuff in the 12 days of kindle sale on Amazon, I noticed Reamde by Neal Stevenson, which starts out absolutely fantastic, goes a bit iffy in the middle mind but still well worth it. And Reality Dysfunction by Peter Hamilton- man desperately needs an editor but this is still ace.

And Ray Feist's Magician, for anyone who likes their fantasy stuff but inexplicably doesn't already have it.

All around a £1, and also these are bloody massive books, so ideal for kindles to save wrist strain.

Got a kindle for christmas so going to check this out, cheers for the heads up
  • Angry Bird wrote:

Got a kindle for christmas so going to check this out, cheers for the heads up
    if you're on Facebook check out the kba (kindle bargain alerts) page, you get some bargains from time to time
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Northwind
    Think I'm going to miss buying books tbh. I've become that **** that goes into a bricks-and-mortar store to shop, then buys online. Sorry Waterstones. But I do like my paperwhite.

Now all I need to do is scan all my paper books :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Northwind wrote:
    Think I'm going to miss buying books tbh. I've become that **** that goes into a bricks-and-mortar store to shop, then buys online. Sorry Waterstones. But I do like my paperwhite.

Yeah, I really like having the proper books but Kindle store is just so much cheaper and it's much more convinient too. A few months ago I was sceptical about them, but got to say it's brilliant. Can also get my uni lecture notes on there so it's great for me, much less to carry around.
    Northwind wrote:
    Now all I need to do is scan all my paper books :lol:

Yep, the only thing that annoys me now is that I've got a pile of books I'm still wanting to read but they're not on my kindle!
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange wrote:
    And now Lewis Man by Peter May - this is very clever. Body found in a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. DNA traces a relative who has dementia (and cannot recall any relatives) - two storylines one from the perspective of the detective and the other from the demented man. This book is very good!

NO acountants involved in selecting this books!

Read. Now reading Blackhouse by the same author - the first in the trilogy - not so good.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Just started reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. I've heard it's a great series of books. 3 chapters in and I like what I've read so far. I have big hopes for it as I haven't managed to finish the last 5 books I started reading!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Miles behind the rest of the world, I have just read David Millar's book- 'racing through the dark' very good read.

Back to some pulp next and something by Robert Crais.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I haven't read a fiction book for over 10 years... Picked up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo about a week ago and haven't put it down!
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Anything Sci-Fi At The Mo Im Reading Spinwood Fringe By Randolph Lalonde.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I haven't read a fiction book for over 10 years... Picked up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo about a week ago and haven't put it down!

Some attempt for the Guinness book of records? Arm feeling sore yet?
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Northwind
    Just finished Graham Obree's Flying Scotsman. I used to quite like Graham Obree.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Davdandy
    Northwind wrote:
    But I do like my paperwhite.

I bought a Kindle last year but wished i had waited for the paperwhite,is it really that good that you dont need any other light source at all.I like to read in bed but need a clip on light to see what i am reading as i dont like to have all the house lights on.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Northwind
    Yeah, I really like it... TBH it's boringly good, I thought it'd be a bit weird not having books around but it really is just another book. Filled it up with stuff in the amazon sales, now reading a book about arctic exploration that I'd never have bought on paper. Win for kindle, basically.

I did give into temptation and buy a book I already own on paper for the kindle. That way lies madness...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Lagrange
    Nagaland - colonial history of a strange part of India. Also book on nucleosynthesis for my ou course. Not good!
  • Lagrange
    My youngest - who is 93 - reminds me that I am reading the Argos Catalogue.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Outside Eternity: Three Feet of Sky Book 2 by Stephen Ayres
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Northwind
    So I bought the complete sherlock holmes in the kindle sale over christmas. Recently I've been discovering that a) that's a lot of sherlock holmes and b) quite a lot of it isn't very good at all. Classic = wouldn't get published today, I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    With Sherlock Holmes a lot of the stories are very samey and I get the impression Conan Doyle just knocked them out for the money.

Just started The Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton book 3 of the Dreaming Void trilogy. So far I have read 1400 pages of the trilogy only 700 to go. Boy oh boy does this guy need an editor so far the story could have been cut in half and it still would have been too wordy.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    stubs wrote:
    Just started The Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton book 3 of the Dreaming Void trilogy. So far I have read 1400 pages of the trilogy only 700 to go. Boy oh boy does this guy need an editor so far the story could have been cut in half and it still would have been too wordy.

Yah, it's all gone a bit Robert Jordan I think, too successful for the publishers to dare edit him properly. I gave up after the commonwealth ones.
    Uncompromising extremist