So what Books are forumites currently reading?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think it skates pretty close to being rubbish at times tbh (aargh Halfcocked Jack the bug snack, someone call the editor) but overall, it's fantastic I reckon.

My copies of A Dance With Dragons (split into 2 paperbacks) just arrived, I'm rereading the rest of the series first though. Cleverly I preordered them absolutely ages ago, then forgot and preordered them again at the start of the year, then forgot again and when I saw they were coming out this week ordered them again! So I've got 3 copes :oops:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Just finished Quicksilver the other day...... God that was dull. You keep wondering when anythings going to happen... right up to the last page. Probably the only book i started jumping over loads and loads of paragraphs (usually of pointless multi-page descriptions of scenery or every object in a room) just to stop myself from falling asleep. It's just a history lesson with a lot of characters you never manage to work up any sympathy for.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    JUst re-reading the Avery Cates books by Jeff Somers, some of them are a bit far fetched but there's some gold in there. Particularly enjoying The Electric Church second time round.

I am in two minds about the Game of Thrones books, the TV adaptation was pretty good but I am not sure if I have the inclination to read the books based on that.

I've got Heart Of Darkness to read next though, 3rd attempt.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Well, finished snow crash and really enjoyed it. Now I know why northwind thought I was a numpty for not starting with it :lol:
    Incidentally, while I was waiting for snow crash to be delivered I dug out Ubik (phillip k Dick) that I'd started before Xmas. Is forgotten about it as it was boring the pants off me but I persisted with it and really got into the last 2 thirds.
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    Winterdance: the Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Winterdance-Fine-Madness-Running-Iditarod/dp/0156001454/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Absolutely magnificent. Laugh out loud, not wanting the madness to end read.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Just bought the complete Bourne series for £10 so tonight will be the start of reading The Bourne Identity. Only 8 books to get through :D
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • specialeyes
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    Just bought the complete Bourne series for £10 so tonight will be the start of reading The Bourne Identity. Only 8 books to get through :D

Sounds like a bargain. I just downloaded the adventures of Sherlock Holmes for my kindle app on droid. 12 short stories / cases. I'm broke, its free, win win :D
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    The Three Hostages by John Buchan. Larks and casual rascism aplenty.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Recently started to read Ubik by Philip K Dick. Then work decided I needed to learn some extra stuff so now I'm reading Developing Applications for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 - which is hard going and not very enjoyable.

Laters
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've decided it's time I read The Silmarillion and LOTR properly, tried to read LOTR years ago but ended up stopping about halfway through the 4th book for some reason.

This will keep me busy for a while.
  • specialeyes
    jndb72 wrote:
    Recently started to read Ubik by Philip K Dick. Then work decided I needed to learn some extra stuff so now I'm reading Developing Applications for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 - which is hard going and not very enjoyable.

Laters

Much like the beginning of Ubik :lol:
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    jndb72 wrote:

Laters

Much like the beginning of Ubik :lol:

When reading anything by Philip K Dick I've found a glass or 2 of wine seems to help :)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • t0pc4t
    Heart of darkness now started, man the style is winding me up, we'll see if it gets finished
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Fatamorgana
    I am hoping to have my book proposal into the publishers on the 30th March and hope-against-hope that a book (deal) may come from it.
    You never know....
  • Northwind
    Actually finished it last week but forgot to mention it... I found Flowers For Algernon in a box of old books and ended up reading through it almost in one go. Ended up crying like a bairn at the end, again. Its good to have frends. One of the best books I've ever read.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • specialeyes
    Northwind wrote:
    Actually finished it last week but forgot to mention it... I found Flowers For Algernon in a box of old books and ended up reading through it almost in one go. Ended up crying like a bairn at the end, again. Its good to have frends. One of the best books I've ever read.

This one is on my to do list!
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    face.

I normally get to about halfway and lose interest. I haven't really found a book that keeps me hooked til the end, especially as I never find enough time
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • t0pc4t
    heart of darkness did not get any better I am afraid

now reading one called The Half Made World which is sort of steam punk, sort of sci fi but very engaging so far.

Flowers for algernon next hopefully, heard so many good things about that one.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    t0pc4t wrote:
    heart of darkness did not get any better I am afraid

Joseph Conrads books arent particulary readable. Waded through several and the only one that was any pleasure to read was Lord Jim and even that was pretty heavy going.

Reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan at the moment hasnt really got going yet but has some promise. Just finished Worth Dying For by Lee Child and that was blooming exciting.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t0pc4t
    my wife's mate gets sent free books all the time and I'm reading one of those at the moment, it's called 'The Half Made World' and is a sort of steampunk / fantasy hybrid. I haven't finished it yet but it's highly engaging

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • specialeyes
    Just finished assassins apprentice, robin hobb. Loved it and now need the remaining 2 books of the trilogy but I'm broke so am reading the silmarillion again.
  • richvass
    richvass Posts: 68
    I'm on the fifth book, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. A really good read so far.
  • Northwind
    richvass wrote:
    I'm on the fifth book, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. A really good read so far.

It's about to start going horribly downhill :mrgreen: But it does recover.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • castlelad
    castlelad Posts: 414
    Every now and then i get the "big book " and read a tad of that............
  • Fatamorgana
    The most recent Martin Evening installment.
    At least I can check out the tutorials on-line too as this helps a luddite such as me no end.
  • parryman
    parryman Posts: 153
    Nearly finished the most recent Matt Reilly - Scarecrow novel.
    Same old toss, quite enjoying it really.
    Got a Stephen King lined up next, 4-27-62 or whatever.
    Or hunger games maybe.
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨)
    .•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨).•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.•´¸.•*´¨The Amazing Parryman
  • t0pc4t
    I liked Hunger Games but it was really quite bleak.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    just finished 'sharpes devil' by Bernard Cornwell

now going to read the 'the rats' trilolgy by james herbert
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just starting Polity Agent the fourth Cormac novel by Neal Asher. Loving the whole series I know a lot of people for some reason hate Neal Asher but I cant fault his books. The first Cormac novel was a bit disjointed but he was setting the scene I suppose for the story arc that followed. The 3rd book Brass Man was brilliant and Polity Agent is looking a cracker loved the prologue.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t0pc4t
    it keeps on getting better I reckon, the Cormac series is brilliant imo.

I also enjoyed the Spatterjay series of books which are set in the polity. The Skinner is just good but there were points during the 3rd one (Orbus) where I was really blown away.

I@m reading 'The Departure' now and it's showing as much promise, not sure why it got so slated on Amazon.

After that probably 'Ready Player One' and then the 3rd game of thrones.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6