So what Books are forumites currently reading?

Comments

• mongoosed
    mongoosed Posts: 315
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy...........A father and son walk alone through a ravaged America.
  • under and alone - william queen

and Simons Cat graphic novel LOL
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    now reading Market Forces by Richard Morgan, dystopian future thing where amoral investment bankers have fatal road duels to win contracts. Sounds a bit silly but it's quite dark and involving.

No Altered Carbon though
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    t0pc4t wrote:
    No Altered Carbon though

What is? But "Black Man" comes close. The less said about "The Steel Remains" the better.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    'Johannes Cabal, Necromancer' by Jonathan L Howard.

Silly, dark humour. Nicely written and fairly easy read. Already looking forward the the next 2 in the series.

Got 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch lined up as my next read.
  • t0pc4t
    Ouija wrote:
    t0pc4t wrote:
    No Altered Carbon though

What is? But "Black Man" comes close. The less said about "The Steel Remains" the better.

yeah, that was pretty disturbing if memory serves

and I agree, Black Man is a corker.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Loved the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy. Proper full-on future cyberpunk as its best.

I didnt manage to finish market forces or black man as i lost interest in them after a while. Market forces was particularly dire.

Was put off reading his fantasy series after hearing about the graphic man on man action sequences involving the main character. And I'm not talking about sword fighting here! Well maybe sword fighting of a different sort :oops:
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    By the way if you're into your cyberpunk stuff Ready Player One is a good read.

I just started reading 'Can you survive the Zombie Apolcalypse' by Max Brallier.

Its a grown up version of the steve jackson fighting fantasy books you used to read as a kid. Choose your own adventure type of thing. Good fun so far! You'll enjoy it if you like max brooks or the walking dead graphic novels/tv series
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just finished Orphaned Worlds the 2nd book in the Humanity's Fire trilogy by Michael Cobley cant wait to get stuck into book 3 Ascendant Stars proper space opera very good alien and cyborg baddies
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Mark909 wrote:
    By the way if you're into your cyberpunk stuff Ready Player One is a good read.

Brilliant book! Couldn't put it down! Also Surface Detail was very enjoyable, a return to form for Banks.

Just finished stealing light by Gary Gibson, first in a trilogy. New author for me but I like his style so far, fast paced, a real page turner. Got the next book on order 'Nova War' should get it today!
  • t0pc4t
    I am going to have a look and see if I can get that Ready Player One on kindle.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    I am going to have a look and see if I can get that Ready Player One on kindle.

It's great if your a child of the eighties!

Also on your kindle, download the 1811 dictionary of the vulgar tongue. It's free. Some quality cussing from the 1800s and earlier!
  • t0pc4t
    cheers will do, old cussing rocks you filthy catamite

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Now started on 'The Andromeda Strain' by Michael Crichton. Good stuff so far...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I'm actually in the middle of a Richard Morgan binge now - picked up Altered Carbon to go away with, had it nicked and had to rebuy it when I got back to the UK, but well worth it. Reading Broken Angels now and quite enjoying it. Then, I think back to Stephenson as I've not read readme yet and from there probably to Charles Stross again to give the Merchant Princes series a shot.

I did read a book called Emergency Sex about a bunch of UN aid workers recently as well - it was interesting stuff, an account from the perspective of three friends who worked in Cambodia, Rwanda and the like. Some of them are obviously a bit sanctimonious and deluded, but still worth a read to get more of an idea of what goes on in those sort of situations.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    i'm about halfway through "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Rolston
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • I've just started reading the Sherlock Holmes novels. Should keep me sorted for a while. Sadly I don't read as much as I used to, so this may take me a while to finish.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Just finished George Carlin's "When will Jesus bring the pork chops?" some good old dry satire
    Now getting through Asimov's "Foundation" series, of book 1 of 8..
  • t0pc4t
    I've read about the first 4 merchant princes and if memory serves they were pretty good

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margret Atwood - Set in a post-apocalyptic world, the last human alive reflects upon his part in the genetic modification and gene splicing of practically everything, until a superbug develops killing off the worlds population leaving him alone and surrounded by wolvogs (wolves spliced with hogs) and racunks (guess). 9/10.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Just started on 'Minority Report' by Philip K. Dick (same bloke who wrote the book that Blade Runner was based on). Will be interesting to see how similar the film is to the novel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Just started on 'Minority Report' by Philip K. Dick (same bloke who wrote the book that Blade Runner was based on). Will be interesting to see how similar the film is to the novel.

Hmm good call... Will amazon that before bed.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    CraigXXL wrote:
    I'm just going through the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo. Wasn't sure to begin with after going off someone else's recommendation but he really builds the characters up nicely and you can't but get involved.

I'm halfway through 'The Redbreast'.
    Took a while to get in to it but liking it now.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    I knew a little bit about the history of Liverpool Cathedral but on a recent trip to my local library i came across the book...

Building Liverpool Cathedral by Peter Kennerley

I flicked through and its full of great pictures which considering there 100 years old are very clear, so i took it home.

Upon reading it i found it to be one of the best books ive ever read, telling the history of something is a simple thing but how it comes across in a book in a way that keeps me turning the page is a different thing all together.

But in this case the author has done a fantastic job not only telling us how it was built but of who the people were the highs and lows between those people and what it meant at the time of building.
  • t0pc4t
    I find Phlip K dick a bit boring despite him having written some of the best sci fi films I can think of (total recall was based on one of his as well)

I'm reading the Hunger Games at the moment, I know it's a kids book but man is it bleak.

Good so far though, very dystopian

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Coming towards the end of 'the diamond age' Neal Stephenson.
    Really enjoyed it and think I will get some more from him.
    Any suggestions from Stephenson fans?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Snow Crash! FFS. What sort of weirdo starts out on Diamond Age :lol: Then Cryptonomicon.

And then if you have a month to spare and strong book-holding arms, Quicksilver etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On a bit of an old scifi run just now, just rereading Robert Heinlein's the Door Into Summer- great despite creepy paedophile plot :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Northwind wrote:
    Snow Crash! FFS. What sort of weirdo starts out on Diamond Age :lol: Then Cryptonomicon.

And then if you have a month to spare and strong book-holding arms, Quicksilver etc.

The cheap sort who saw it going for 2 quid :wink:
    Cotic is demanding all my cash! :lol:

Ebayed some stuff, ordered snow crash. :wink:
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Coming towards the end of 'the diamond age' Neal Stephenson.
    Really enjoyed it and think I will get some more from him.
    Any suggestions from Stephenson fans?

Despite the comment from earlier in this thread (Stephenson can be a little wordy :wink: ), I totally recommend the Baroque cycle. Quicksilver is just wonderful and lives in my local library both in the Sci-fi/Fantasy and Historical fiction sections. Not many books can manage that.

I am currently working my way through Song of Fire and Ice again, but will probably re-read Stephenson once I finish.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016