So what Books are forumites currently reading?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    River class frigates and the Battle of the Atlantic. A technical and social history by Brian Lavery.

Sage 50 Payroll manual by HM Revenue and Customs

The Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'm reading Saturn's Children by Charles Stross, the ideas aren't as mind blowing as Accelerando (the last sci fi by him I read) but I'm finding it more enjoyable.

@stubs, dreaming void is pretty fine but I think my fave works by PFH are still the Nights Dawn trilogy.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • stubs
    t0pc4t wrote:
    @stubs, dreaming void is pretty fine but I think my fave works by PFH are still the Nights Dawn trilogy.

Agreed Nights Dawn is proper space opera I need to reread all the books again pretty soon. Struggling to get going with Dreaming Void but will persist.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t0pc4t
    it's worth staying with, on my hols this year I read through the commonwealth ones again and then did the void trilogy, spot on once he hits his pace but as usual with PFH that can take a while.

Do you like Neal Asher? I'm probably more stoked about his latest book than new PFH stuff at the moment.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just about to finish the Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson... An alternative-history thing, absolutely fantastic. I'm going to have to resist the urge to go back and read Red/Green/Blue Mars again now.

Peter Hamilton's in more dire need of a mean editor than anyone else out there I think... Boy can write, he just can't stop! Except for in Night's Dawn, "And then aliens happen and everything is fine, the end" Seems like the more succesful he got, the more ridiculously bloated the books got. Paid by the yard?
    Iain Banks Transition is next on my bookshelf to read - I like Iain Banks - not so much Iain M Banks - grew out of scifi I think or just read too much of it as a younger man.

Did Transition not get an M? It should have...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Power Poker by Daniel Negranau!

Not everyones cup of tea - but i like poker so it is mine!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Man Who Cycled The World by Mark Beaumont, its a good one.

I watched the TV programme (nominated for a Scottish BAFTA apparently) when it was on and it was quality, saw the book in Waterstones the other day so thought i'd purchase it. Top read.

One thing that confused me, BAFTA stands for British Academy of Film and Television Awards, the emphasis being on British, so how do you have a Scottish BAFTA?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One thing that confused me, BAFTA stands for British Academy of Film and Television Awards, the emphasis being on British, so how do you have a Scottish BAFTA?
    That would be the one subsidised by England.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    t0pc4t wrote:
    it's worth staying with, on my hols this year I read through the commonwealth ones again and then did the void trilogy, spot on once he hits his pace but as usual with PFH that can take a while.

I have put it to one side at the mo just got into Alistair Reynolds Terminal World lay in bed last night picked it up to read for 10 mins next thing I know its 1am. Sign of a good book :lol:
    Do you like Neal Asher? I'm probably more stoked about his latest book than new PFH stuff at the moment.

Not got one of his yet he is on my list of authors to try. I usally get some book tokens for chrimbo so will probably treat myself.[/quote]
  • stubs
    Northwind wrote:
    Just about to finish the Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson... An alternative-history thing, absolutely fantastic. I'm going to have to resist the urge to go back and read Red/Green/Blue Mars again now.

Peter Hamilton's in more dire need of a mean editor than anyone else out there I think... Boy can write, he just can't stop! Except for in Night's Dawn, "And then aliens happen and everything is fine, the end" Seems like the more succesful he got, the more ridiculously bloated the books got. Paid by the yard?
    He cant stop can he :lol: I can think of several authors who need a couple of hundred pages slashing from there latest books.
  • t0pc4t
    Northwind wrote:

Iain Banks Transition is next on my bookshelf to read - I like Iain Banks - not so much Iain M Banks - grew out of scifi I think or just read too much of it as a younger man.

Did Transition not get an M? It should have...
    Void is a bit better on that score, the ending is not so rushed. My boss and I were just discussing nights dawn a minute ago and we both agreed the naked god has a loda of filler and then it just ends in a really rushed manner.

finished saturns children, good but not quite as mind blowing as accelerando, now re-reading Consider Phlebas, which is as good as I remember

if you have not read any Neal Asher, get some down ya, man's on fire at the moment.

Start with either Gridlinked or The Skinner.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Bella Bathhurst - The Bicycle Book, good informative and well written, clue is in the title.
    Jack London - White Fang - who woud have thought a book about a wolf could be so good.
  • Northwind
    t0pc4t wrote:
    Void is a bit better on that score, the ending is not so rushed.

Haven't tried those yet... Was kind of put off by the first 3 in the Commonwealth. Especially Misspent Youth, ouch. I'll put Neal Asher on Teh List though.

That said, wasn't very impressed with Stross, think it was Singularity Sky I tried? Anyway, thought it was pish, one or two really decent ideas but mostly pish. Accidentally announced this very loudly when he was standing 2 feet away. He was very good about it :oops:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • t0pc4t
    funny one Stross, I got into him him via sci fi (agree Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise weren't too good) and some of it is very good (Saturns Children, Glasshouse, Accelerando) but it's more his not sci fi stuff that has been better.

If you haven't already done so I'd have a look at Alastair Reynolds, I do rather like his stuff but he doesn't seem to have done one for a while.

Asher is a must, he's on fire at the moment.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Northwind
    Aye, I like Alastair Reynolds... Bit inconsistent mind and he did give the Revelation Space sequence the most incredibly awful ending since "and then they woke up and it was all a dream" but it was good on the way. Got his last one in the heap to get to once I'm done with Surface Detail. (which, incidentally, is so far pretty fantastic)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • t0pc4t
    Ooh yeah Surface Detail is pretty fine for sure.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • stubs
    Surface Detail is good though the end felt a tiny bit of a letdown I just expected it to go somewhere else. Thats the good thing about Banks though you never quite get the ending you think is coming.
  • I'm on the 3rd book from the 'a song of ice and fire' saga.

The first book is 'A game of thrones' which has been made into a superb tv series but as always, the book is far better.

The second book is 'A clash of kings'.

I'm 1/2 way through the third, 'A storm of swords'.

They're all good books but I'm finding that the 3rd is a bit slow so far, hopefully it will get better in the second half.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Fahrenheit 451. Some good dialogue in parts. But not setting my pants on fire. I think it' just heating up though....I have bigger expectations for the rest of the book. We shall see.

Also just finished Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen. Nothing ground breaking. But found it a very enjoyable read. Kinda like a 'good' hollywood movie.
  • Supernatural Scotland,a history of ghosts and myths etc in Scotland.
  • Fragrant Harbour - John Lanchester - nice one.
  • Not strictly reading it right now but too excited to not tell people i will be reading, soon, the new Sir Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, "Snuff."
    I have it pre-ordered and i am fair excited.
    Sir Pratchett is a genius, too bad his minds turning to mush. :cry:
  • stubs
    Not strictly reading it right now but too excited to not tell people i will be reading, soon, the new Sir Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, "Snuff."
    I have it pre-ordered and i am fair excited.
    Sir Pratchett is a genius, too bad his minds turning to mush. :cry:

Got it pre-ordered as well. Agree such a shame dont know how long he can keep writing.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Lee Child - The affair.

Whilst drinking coffee.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • t0pc4t
    Black Man by Richard Morgan, forgot it's quite a stonker.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Now starting 'Handling the Undead' by the bloke who wrote 'Let the right One In'. Swedish zombies :?: :!:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    just started a new novella "The Severed Nose" by Jeff Strand, that has been sent to me by the wife's uncle, he tells me it's a pretty dark comedy and has started pretty well :lol:
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson

if your interested in science or just want to know more about the earth and the universe etc. then it's a pretty good read and you learn quite a lot
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    OK finished "the severed nose" was awesome little novella less than 50 pages :shock: now on to "Graverobbers wanted (no experience necessary)" by the same author
    http://jeffstrand.wordpress.com/books/graverobbers/
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Since 'The Walking Dead' moved from Freeview to one of the Sky channels, I'm now reading the book 'The Walking Dead - Rise of the Governor' to try to make up for it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]